✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Review thread (please post your findings!)

From a Danish Website: http://www.headliners.dk/nyheder/coldplays-nye-single-mangler-fornyelse.aspx

Coldplay's new single lacks innovation

coldplay-619.jpg

''Coldplay are soon ready with their fifth album to follow up the massive success of 'Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends' from 2008. Now is the first single finally landed, and it is Coldplay boys just as we know them.

'Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall' presents a chanting guitar melody that slowly becomes more and more massive. The catchy poplyd, melancholia and large barn need is there - as in almost all of Coldplay's hit. There is not much new under the sun.

Yes, we are perhaps disappointed. For this number might as well have been from the 2008-album. We can not quite decipher what would be 'the innovative', and Coldplay wont otherwise impress with a new breathtaking universe of sound from album to album.''

I used Google Translate, so I hope that it is translated okay. :p

Contactmusic.com 6/3

A spokesperson for Coldplay has defended the British rockers after they were accused of copying their latest single from a 1990s dance track, insisting the similarities are intentional.

The band's new track Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall debuted on Friday (03Jun11), but many fans were quick to point out that it sounds a lot like a song called Ritmo De La Noche, which has been recorded by acts including Mystic, the Sacados and Chocolate.

A representative for the band has now confirmed Coldplay collaborated with songwriters Peter Allen and Adrienne Anderson, whose original tune I Go To Rio was used in Ritmo De La Noche.

The rep also reveals frontman Chris Martin wrote Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall after hearing Allen and Anderson's work featured in Javier Bardem's recent film Biutiful, telling Scotland's Daily Record, "Chris was inspired to write the song after watching the film Biutiful by Alejandro Gonzalez. In the film, there is a nightclub scene - during which a track is playing in the background, based on I Go To Rio by Peter Allen and Adrienne Anderson. As a result, Allen and Anderson are also credited as writers on Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall."

Coldplay were sued by guitar great Joe Satriani in 2008 after he accused them of plagiarising his 2004 song If I Could Fly in their hit single Viva La Vida. The case was settled out of court.

I found this review in Aftonbladet, but I can't seem to find it on their website, only in the newspaper, so I can't give a link to the review.

The new single is like soft ice in july

What song that's going to be this year's summer plague is always a hot topic. The contest is already decided. Eric Amarillo's "Om sanningen ska fram" is going to be the winner. But it should've been Coldplay's new single. "Every teardrop is a waterfall" is as good as soft ice cream in July. And about as easy to digest.

Arena Rock music remains. In the backround a familiar guitar is heard - it sounds like The Edge from U2 jamming with a bumble bee - and the melody will get huge audiences to come together in a rhythmic singsong. Coldplay resample Peter Allen "I Go to Rio": a solo more commercial than four semi finals of ESC. And Chris Martin is singing a text about how he shut out the rest of the world through music, how the power of a song makes him feel like he has a cathedral in the heart. And that: to numb their problems with a song or in a pulsating dance floor that closes after dawn, is disco music's central theme. Barry White's "Let the music play" and Madonna's" Into the Groove "are two other examples. Coldplay is one of the world's biggest rock bands. And by being just as accessible as the task requires the group becomes even more unique.

4/5

I used google translate, so I know that the translation isn't perfect.

A french review, sorry if my translation isn't 100% correct :P

Coldplay: il est bien ce nouveau single non?

1359495489.jpgColdplay est devenu très gros. Il faut s'y faire. Ce groupe ne jouera plus que dans des stades ou presque, dans des grandes salles, à la manière de U2. Alors le nouveau single de Coldplay est à sa hauteur. Grand, gros, XXL et...plutôt réussi. A la première écoute, pourtant, les ficelles sont trop grosses: l'introduction synthétique, puis le couplet taillé pour être repris par 80 000 personnes - au moins - en concert. Ce serait donc juste un single, fait pour passer en boucle à la radio, pour être fredonné sous la douche.

A la deuxième écoute, "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall" se revèle plus subtil que ça, avec sa montée en puissance assez enivrante, sa guitare biniou (appelez cela comme vous voulez, moi ça me rappelle le biniou) assez entêtante, qui revient en boucle et son introduction qui serait donc pompée sur... "Je vais à Rio" de Claude François ou plutôt la version originale de Peter Allen "I Go To Rio". Coldplay l'assume sur son site, sans doute pour éviter toute accusation de plagiat.

Une drôle d'idée, alors, pour un groupe que beaucoup imagine désormais trop formaté pour être honnête, face auquel il faut se déchausser pour ne pas salir en interview (je sais, j'ai testé).

Mais rien que pour cet emprunt inattendu et ce qu'il en fait, le nouveau Coldplay est réussi. Sans parler de l'essentiel: "Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall" est une excellente chanson.

Coldplay : nice new single, eh?

Coldplay has become really big. You have to get used to it. This band is only going to play in stadiums or huge halls, like U2. So the new Coldplay single is huge too. Huge, big, XXL, and... rather good. When you hear it for the first time though, it's a bit obvious : the synthetic introduction, then the chorus made to be sung by 80,000 persons -at least- in concerts. So it would just be a single, made to be played repeatedly on radio, to be sung under the shower.

When you hear it for the second time, "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall" is more subtle than this, with a rather intoxicating rise, a rather heady bagpipe guitar loop -call it whatever you want, it reminds me of a bagpipe- and the introduction taken from... "Je vais à Rio", by Claude François, or the original "I Go To Rio" version by Peter Allen. Coldplay assumes it on the official website, surely to avoid any plagiarism accusation.

Strange idea, then, from a band that many imagine too formatted to be honest, a band in front of which you have to take your shoes off not to smear during an interview -I know it, I had to-.

Just for that unexpected loaning and what the band makes of it, the new Coldplay is successful. Not to mention the essential, "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall' is an excellent song.

http://zik-zag.blog.leparisien.fr/archive/2011/06/05/coldplay-il-est-bien-ce-nouveau-singlen-non.html?c

^^You're welcome,

more....

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/cultura/Ritmo/noche/marcha/militar/elpepucul/20110603elpepucul_9/Tes

El País - Madrid - 03/06/2011

"Entre el 'Ritmo de la noche' y la marcha militar. Coldplay lanza su nuevo single tras 'Viva la vida'.- Su primera entrega en tres años sin contar su polémico 'single' de Navidad".

Nothing new, and doesn't interesting, I only post it by an eagerness compilation:D

This is interesting 2.733.442 visiting in three days!!!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kf_6BWcOOg&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - ‪Coldplay - Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall (Official)‬‏[/ame]

• 2 weeks later...

130611_js_coldplay_300x300.jpg

Stereoboard: Coldplay - Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall (Single Review)

The extent to which you appreciate the vibrant new Coldplay single can perhaps be gauged by objectivity. The band’s latest tunes, showcased at Rock AM Ring this week, have been received in ‘rapturous’ fashion according to one of their roadies. Meanwhile, you won’t have to search too hard on social networks to find the naysayers: “this one is ripping off so-and-so...”; “they want to be U2...” so on, so forth.

Somewhat predictably then, the truth is that the ironically named ‘Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall’ is somewhere in the middle. Coldplay are far from bland, and whether you loved or hated Viva la Vida (and it’s needlessly long title), you had to admire their willingness to progress as a group. However, whichever way you look at it, this latest single is further proof that although Martin and co certainly don’t lack fear in regards to experimentation, their song writing can leave something to be desired.

Lyrically, there’s some very clumsy stuff here, “Don’t want to see another generation drop/I’d rather be a comma than a full stop” being a particular culprit. The main melodic idea, mainly synth-based, is also a little uninteresting (even grating), but it does give Jonny Buckland a chance to shine with his underrated skills on the guitar. Once Chris Martin’s repetitive vocals disappear into the mix around halfway through, the track begins to pick up momentum, before its frustratingly abrupt finish.

Some bands are well suited to this proclaimed role of ‘stadium kings’; just look at where Muse are. Coldplay are arguably even bigger, having played arenas across the world themselves for a good part of a decade, and there is no doubt that the anthemic nature of this track is very deliberate. ‘Every Teardrop...’ is far too linear to be considered alongside pop classics ‘Yellow’ and the Buckley-esque ‘Shiver’ (I still consider the latter to be their best song). Maybe it would be unfair to say that Coldplay have regressed, especially as this is the poorest of the new songs. But hey, let’s be objective: Coldplay are not the new U2, and they’re certainly not the new Radiohead, but they can definitely do better than this.

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/165979/9

9708156-large.jpg

Coldplay's Chris Martin likes to listen to other people's music. On this new track, he even sings about it.

Song of the Week: 'Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall,' Coldplay

For a group that squats in the middle of the road, Coldplay sure is polarizing.

The politeness of the London quartet’s music irritates those who worry that all the teeth have been pulled out of the mainstream rock enterprise. Detractors claim that all of Coldplay’s ideas have been pinched from Radiohead, Arcade Fire, U2 and Travis, and then bleached to radio-friendly inoffensiveness.

That has not stopped fans from turning all four Coldplay albums platinum, several times over. Then there’s Kanye West, who recently suggested that Coldplay would eventually be deemed superior to the Beatles, and compared frontman and bandleader Chris Martin favorably to John Lennon.

West says a lot of crazy stuff. But as a musical curator, he usually knows what he’s talking about, and he picks his collaborators shrewdly. So outraged was West when Jay-Z scooped him on Coldplay that he took to the studio and rapped about it on "Big Brother." There’s something about Martin’s approach and his clothespin-on-the-nose delivery that speaks powerfully to West. He’s hardly alone.

Maybe it’s just a case of like recognizing like. Martin may sometimes sing like Thom Yorke, but in his restless, omnivorous appetite for pop, he’s far closer to West than he is to Radiohead. Hook recognition is one of his best assets — and the first thing he recognizes about pop hooks is that they often fit best secondhand.

He is a skilled borrower, and an even better appraiser of commercial value. "Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall," the first single from the upcoming fifth Coldplay album, turns on a clever bit of reappropriation: the opening groove is lifted from "Ritmo de la Noche," a flimsy disco record by Argentine dance-pop group the Sacados. That record was, in turn, built around a sample from Peter Allen’s lite radio standard, "I Go to Rio." This time around, Martin isn’t even bothering to hide what he’s filched: he gives Allen a writing credit, and he’s mentioned in interviews that he was inspired to write the song after hearing the Sacados playing in the background of a movie.

So let’s rewind and take a look at how far we’ve travelled, around the globe and through time, with Chris Martin. A Londoner, he pulled a lick from a South American dance hit from 1990 that was first recorded by an Australian television personality a decade earlier, and he got the idea while enjoying an entirely different form of entertainment from the one that made him famous.

To cut through all that historical and temporal specificity and identify a riff that he can use to construct an international hit record ("Waterfall" is already on the U.S. charts) … well, that requires a special talent. It might be rightly said that if Coldplay wasn’t as rootless as it is, the band would not be able to shop around the global beat market as effortlessly as it does. Martin’s magpie nest is a jumble of decontextualized signifiers that he can mix and match as he pleases until he strikes gold.

It’s not visionary, and it might not even be particularly artistic. But it has been an effective business model.

But what about the song; how good is it?

Well, if you loathe Coldplay, this one isn’t going to change your mind. Brian Eno is back behind the boards, so the record sounds great: atmospheric, glossy, immersive. The lyrics, however, are again self-important and humorless when they aren’t maddeningly vague. The title, too, reads like a parody of Coldplay’s unfortunate taste for the morose. When Martin sings about rebel music, it’s almost as if he’s baiting the punk rockers who have always run him down.

This will be another exhibit in their case against Martin and his band, playing, as it surely will, alongside "Clocks," "Yellow" and "Viva la Vida" in perpetuity in supermarkets, laundromats, airports and diners. That’s a guarantee of immortality for Coldplay; a weird kind of immortality, cobbled together from pop scraps.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/music/index.ssf/2011/06/song_of_the_week_every_teardro.html

• 3 weeks later...

You can watch my personal review of the EP here at:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnyYDdPqcmI]YouTube - ‪EP Review: Coldplay's Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall‬‏[/ame]

Make sure to leave me some comments, I love hearing people's opinions on the music and my reviews!