✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Does it really matter if it was Plagiarised or Sampled?

Please look up the actual meaning of sample regarding music as this is not an example of sampling. And they didn't need to ask for permission they volunteered credit.

x

The way I see it is like this:

Coldplay wrote ETIAW and after doing so they realised that the chord progression/sequence they used was very similar to one in I Go To Rio by Peter Allen. They then decided that they should get permission to use the chord progression to avoid any ridiculous court cases like the Joe Satriani/Viva one. While they were asking for permission they thought "why not actually sample the original to avoid confusion". That's just my theory but it makes sense in my head lol.

No I don't think it matters in the slightest that they sample another track. We all know that Chris is more than capable of writing far more complicated music than that of which they have sampled so it's not like it's a case of struggling to come up with anything decent and deciding to use that....

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im curious where you hear that the whole coldplay song sounds like Rio.I only hear the beginning seems the same..The rest of it has a beautiful melody..

The only part that sounds original is when it breaks into the 'waterfall' bridge (?), if you can't hear how Chris is blatantly just singing the exact same tune as the sample then I can't explain that to you because we'd have to start at the very bare bone basics of music.

For about 2mins it's just Chris singing along to the samples timing and chord progression and fitting lyrics into it as best he can muster, then he just draws out some long notes, gets literally interrupted by an offensive celtic guitar riff, and then, at least, the waterfall part provides an ounce of credibility because it is at least original.

It's not just the intro, the notes play, he sings along to the notes, if only it was always this easy to make a great song. Oh wait, it sucks.

Well I had never heard either song and only heard the '76 original in the studio as point of reference (erm, and it's just a couple of chords). As for the other version. never heard that until just now. Not strange at all. Look at the history of music...

Hate to be a pickity fella but why do you keep quoting backwards?

Back on topic, you made my previous point that the original doesn't sound THAT much like this Coldplay song, they actually could easily get away with not even crediting it, it's just a few chords and the timing is similar.

-But then, now you've heard this other version by Mystic, doesn't it sound exactly like the Coldplay song? Hypothetical situation: Get someone to listen to the original song, and then listen to Coldplays, and they'll begin to realise it sounds a bit similar. Then: Get someone to listen to that shit dance song by Mystic, and then to Coldplays, they'll link it automatically, 3 seconds in.

I still stand by my point, the new Coldplay song sounds EXACTLY like that Mystic sample, but the Coldplay song is only quite similar to the original song itself, and I think they heard the totally shit version first.

If I'm wrong, then fuck, that's an incredible coincidence that they've created a song that sounds similar to another random sample then the original song itself, it's almost an unbelievable coincidence (Almost unbelievable because I'm a totally open-minded kinda guy).

Hate to be a pickity fella but why do you keep quoting backwards?

Back on topic, you made my previous point that the original doesn't sound THAT much like this Coldplay song, they actually could easily get away with not even crediting it, it's just a few chords and the timing is similar.

-But then, now you've heard this other version by Mystic, doesn't it sound exactly like the Coldplay song? Hypothetical situation: Get someone to listen to the original song, and then listen to Coldplays, and they'll begin to realise it sounds a bit similar. Then: Get someone to listen to that shit dance song by Mystic, and then to Coldplays, they'll link it automatically, 3 seconds in.

I still stand by my point, the new Coldplay song sounds EXACTLY like that Mystic sample, but the Coldplay song is only quite similar to the original song itself, and I think they heard the totally shit version first.

If I'm wrong, then fuck, that's an incredible coincidence that they've created a song that sounds similar to another random sample then the original song itself, it's almost an unbelievable coincidence (Almost unbelievable because I'm a totally open-minded kinda guy).

What the hell do you want Debs to say..That they plagiarised it..She explained what happened and if you have a problem with it,tough..

Who wrote that dance tune anyway??

What the hell do you want Debs to say..That they plagiarised it..She explained what happened and if you have a problem with it,tough..

I don't expect you to have read my first post as it would probably have taken you about a decade, but if you at least read the topic title I don't really give a fuck if it's plagiarised or not, and as I said before, I don't know why she showed up to clarify that the original has been given credit, because that was never the point of the thread, as numerous other people have stated that it's been given credit.

So no, I don't want Debs to say it's plagiarised, and I never have wanted that, because it's not, they haven't stolen anything as they have given credit, it's pretty basic copyright moral principles. I've been saying that Coldplay originally heard the shitty dance song as it sounds EXACTLY like theirs, as opposed to this suggestion that they originally heard the chord progression in some film.

And I agree with others about Cheeseman's comment, although he is a friend, it's just associated my arguments with pointless abuse, and I doubt Debs will be bothered to respond now. Thanks Harry.

I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion but reading the posts in this thread really annoyed me. Whether or not it was sampled shouldn't be the issue. Sampling has been going on forever. I don't see why it is accepted for other artists to sample but Coldplay get looked down upon when they do it. If you don't like the song, fine that's gonna happen. But I wouldn't be so quick to accuse them of slapping something together in a hurry. I don't believe it was a lack of effort or as others labeled it lazy. we all know how hard they work on what they put out. Lazy is one word I would never use to describe Coldplay. I believe they deserve a little more respect than that.

no I read all your posts and you and your friend are highly, unbelievably rude..Thats all.

you must be very young.I dont think a "normal" adult would be so rude over something so unimportant in life,as a song

You read all my posts and didn't understand that, from the start, from the fucking topic title, I have never given one shit about whether it's plagiarised or not, and then you write this:

What the hell do you want Debs to say..That they plagiarised it..She explained what happened and if you have a problem with it,tough

Why the fuck do you keep going off topic and commenting on Harry's age or what my age is? Thanks for the deep psychoanalysis there but that has nothing to do with the topic so can you just stick to what I'm directly asking you.

Plagiarised, sampled, original or whatever, it's still a mediocre song, if they won't write original music at least they could put some effort in the lyrics.

That's very rude. You don't even know if they worked hard on it or if they were lazy about it .

But anyways , who are you to critizcise them ? :thinking: Do they owe you something that they have to be in the studio working their asses off to get you a good song ( Even though for me I know they worked hard on this and I love the song) ?

I'm not saying you can't like it , I'm just saying that you gotta keep the " mediocre song and put effort in the lyrics " to you . Without saying that even if I gave you a pen , you could never write something that good or half good , and even if you DID write something incredibly amazing , no one would care or pay atenntion :rolleyes:.

I did read your original post and "Does it really matter if it was plagarised or sampled?" is a question which led people to voice their opinions on the topic all them basically about sampling. Then you closed your original post with

"There's nothing added, they just took a sample and lazily slapped a vocal over it, with some horribly generic lyrics and buzz words about "The kids dance" and "Rebel song" to give this impression that Chris is thinking on another level- Chris is a fucking idiot. "

Which led to me posting and defending them on the accusation of laziness.

People Please Stop lying to yourselves the song is garbage in every aspect, I'm very disappointed.

Is this 3 or 4 years of creativity?

just copying another song and adding new ridicules lyrics to it, this will not make it a good song or a come back song , the radio people like this because they like this kind of stupid songs.

noisy, Chris voice not even there, I think the computer is singing no emotion.

apparatjik Music is more meaningful than this, I just figure it out why Guy is bored with Chris's Pop style and R&p friends, and he is looking for people who make real music.

Sorry for writing this but you can see how much I love Coldplay music and how disappointed I'm right now.

But anyways , who are you to critizcise them ? :thinking:

hahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhaha

Who are you to praise and defend them? Because I think the answer for my question and your question is the same.

People Please Stop lying to yourselves the song is garbage in every aspect, I'm very disappointed.

Is this 3 or 4 years of creativity?

just copying another song and adding new ridicules lyrics to it, this will not make it a good song or a come back song , the radio people like this because they like this kind of stupid songs.

noisy, Chris voice not even there, I think the computer is singing no emotion.

apparatjik Music is more meaningful than this, I just figure it out why Guy is bored with Chris's Pop style and R&p friends, and he is looking for people who make real music.

Sorry for writing this but you can see how much I love Coldplay music and how disappointed I'm right now.

Agreed.

^I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who actually read my original topic post.
Nope. I read it too. I understand what you're getting at.

Oh and did your little suggested "test" with my husband (playing all three songs). His response is best summarized as: :stunned:

That being said, I think the underlying issue that irks a lot of fans here is that there was a big huge buildup over the past couple of years about all this new stuff in the works, and the first new thing (aside from Christmas Lights) isn't even entirely "new". I think that's where (at least some of) the backlash is coming from. It's like a tiny little bitch-slap in the (fans') face.

However, I just heard from a fellow member who attended the festival that the other songs are fantastic. And apparently even more people are saying that. So that makes me happy. At the same time, it also makes me wonder why one of those other songs weren't released first instead of ETIAW. Although I suppose it's for the obvious "arena song for the festivals" reason.

Nope. I read it too. I understand what you're getting at.

Oh and did your little suggested "test" with my husband (playing all three songs). His response is best summarized as: :stunned:

Thanks for the clear feedback.

That's very rude. You don't even know if they worked hard on it or if they were lazy about it .

But anyways , who are you to critizcise them ? :thinking: Do they owe you something that they have to be in the studio working their asses off to get you a good song ( Even though for me I know they worked hard on this and I love the song) ?

I'm not saying you can't like it , I'm just saying that you gotta keep the " mediocre song and put effort in the lyrics " to you . Without saying that even if I gave you a pen , you could never write something that good or half good , and even if you DID write something incredibly amazing , no one would care or pay atenntion :rolleyes:.

Who are YOU to make this personal? It's not my fault coldplay created a terrible song and decided to release it.

The lyrics are crap, a 10 year old could write that, I've see them doing better things so I know they're talented. That'd why I said that. It seems they just wrote this to release a pop, radio friendly song, nothing more than that and it sucks considering what coldplay has done.

Anyway, I've seen you posting more of these blind fangirl posts so it's not surprising you're taking this so personally.

Thanks for the clear feedback.

Sorry, sometimes I'm not good at detecting sarcasm.

If you are being sarcastic, the more clear version of my feedback would be "my husband agrees with you, it sounds kind of like the 'original' song but almost exactly like the other song."

Sorry, sometimes I'm not good at detecting sarcasm.

If you are being sarcastic, the more clear version of my feedback would be "my husband agrees with you, it sounds kind of like the 'original' song but almost exactly like the other song."

Yeah, the other Simon Cowell song sounds exactly like it, the original is kindof similar. So this was my point, I'd be surprised if Coldplay had heard the original first.