✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Major Minus: Studio v Live?

busybeeburns

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The live version is a googolplex times better for sure. While their other, older songs are only about 100 times better live. I'm really disappointed once again.

I'm starting to get really worried about the studio versions of the other new songs.

I like the studio version for what it is. I was surprised by the sound of his voice like most other people here, but after a few plays I think it works pretty well. Someone in the other thread pointed out that the effect works in context of the subject matter and I agree - makes it sound like Chris is giving out a 'warning' through a megaphone or something, which I think is appropriate.

Also I actually really like the atmospheric effects they used in this version, almost sounds like screaming toward the end - gives it a pretty creepy vibe, which I guess is exactly what they were going for. I do like some elements of the live version better, but this is crisp and well produced IMO. Bass sounds awesome, guitar has a nice crunch to it. And the whole song is basically the complete opposite of ETIAW, which is interesting because I thought Coldplay had turned uber-cheesy when that song was revealed :P.

I like both equally the same strangely.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up how I feel about it too.

I like the studio version for what it is. I was surprised by the sound of his voice like most other people here, but after a few plays I think it works pretty well. Someone in the other thread pointed out that the effect works in context of the subject matter and I agree - makes it sound like Chris is giving out a 'warning' through a megaphone or something, which I think is appropriate.

Also I actually really like the atmospheric effects they used in this version, almost sounds like screaming toward the end - gives it a pretty creepy vibe, which I guess is exactly what they were going for. I do like some elements of the live version better, but this is crisp and well produced IMO. Bass sounds awesome, guitar has a nice crunch to it. And the whole song is basically the complete opposite of ETIAW, which is interesting because I thought Coldplay had turned uber-cheesy when that song was revealed :P.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up how I feel about it too.

I liked the days where they made music that didn't need (far-fetched) explanations for most people to like it.

And no, it's actually not the same song and nobody's fighting.

What the hell have they done to that awesome song.

Live.

The studio version makes Chris' voice way too muffled.

Exactly that!

Studio version is an example of when production outshines the actual talent.
Again, exactly my opinion.

Chris's voice is so so awesome at the moment. I got goosebumps during Life is for living at Pinkpop. There's no need to "hide" that amazing outstanding voice.

See:

His voice is great, he doesn't need effects.

:(

That's what I meant above.

I LOVE Charlie Brown. I am worried about what it will sound like in studio.
:bigcry: Oh no, I don't want to think about that!! :uhoh:

Fingers crossed... :\

It is the same song... its called major minus :inquisitive: you don't like the studio one, a tip , LISTEN TO THE LIVE ONE! , you don't like the live one mmmm LISTEN TO THE STUDIO ONE! , i like both and i find this discussion pointless, its like saying (it another way) which is better? major minus, or major minus? i think major minus, which one do you like , major minus, why? , I love more major minus than major minus, ITS THE SAME SONG GET OVER IT , and i really like the alien effects, they go well with the era

Also I actually really like the atmospheric effects they used in this version, almost sounds like screaming toward the end - gives it a pretty creepy vibe, which I guess is exactly what they were going for. I do like some elements of the live version better, but this is crisp and well produced IMO. Bass sounds awesome, guitar has a nice crunch to it. And the whole song is basically the complete opposite of ETIAW, which is interesting because I thought Coldplay had turned uber-cheesy when that song was revealed

This sums up how I feel about the song. Good post.

I just like the little DADADAD part before the chorus in the studio version. Everything stops and its just the guitar. FUCKING AWESOME.

Although after the first chorus there are no cool harmonics from Jonny like there are in the live performances.

I liked the days where they made music that didn't need (far-fetched) explanations for most people to like it.

And no, it's actually not the same song and nobody's fighting.

I don't think my explanation was far-fetched, it was merely my interpretation. If it sounded like I was making excuses for what is apparently a disappointing version of this song to a lot of people, that was not my intention. I can understand why a lot of people don't like the production though, I just personally don't mind the differences in the studio version, and both of them are pretty much equal in terms of quality IMO.

Just a side note - I remember hearing most of Radiohead's 'In Rainbows' in the form of live recordings before it came out, and I thought nearly every single studio recording was a disappointment in comparison (apart from 'Nude' :P). So I understand where people are coming from. Its just that I personally don't see a huge gap between the live and studio recording in this case. :wink: