✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why am I not liking this?

Magnus

I think people shouldnt expect things from bands as your always setting yourself up for a fall. Im a big fan of everything coldplay has released and im really looking forward to the new album, as much as i did before hearing some of the new tracks.

In all honesty id like everyband to completly offer a new sound on every record, see how they venture into other genres and how good they can be. who wants the same album 5 times unless your a jamiroquai fan?

So LP6 must be a hip-hop album, LP7 - country, right?

Jeez, every time I hear the same bullshit. Different sound is not a problem. But song should be full of something. ETiAW is completely empty, dry and short living thing. On the other hand MTM - classic, moody, sad Coldplay, but yes, with new sound.

Is it really hard to understand? Try new sound but keep fire, don't forget about roots, something which made you one of the most successful band in the world.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course you have a right to feel as you do and there are definitely people who will empathize with this same feeling. But I look at it like this.

I mean it almost makes me think it breaks down into two general categories of people. Nothing wrong with either side, just differences in opinion. Like politics. This might be weird/random/unrelated but follow me here.

In politics there are conservatives. People who look at our country and say hey, there's nothing wrong with this. We are doing great! What's there to change? Changing could make things worse, we should stick with what's been going for us. Just like I'm sure there are people who heard Parachutes, A Rush of Blood to the Head, and even X&Y and thought "wow, music can't get any better than this." And then they heard VlVoDaAHF or the newer songs from the LP5 session and think "why did they have to change it? It was SO DAMN GOOD before. It was practically perfect. This pales in comparison to the greatness they had once achieved. Why couldn't they just go back and keep making that incredible sound where they left off instead of falling off quality-wise completely?

There are also liberals. People who look at our country and say hey, it's going bad or it's going decent but we could definitely improve on some things and create a better country. There's a risk in even changing things that might have worked but they could end up functioning even greater. There are similarly people who hear the new music and say "wow, the older albums were great but this is new and fresh." They embrace the new production, new direction, and new vocals as something different and potentially greater than their earlier stages. It was good back then but they keep getting better and expanding their repertoire of musical skills. The different musical styles and twists is positively lovely, I love how they keep pressing and testing their limits to create the best possible.

It's not whether one is right and one is wrong. No one is wrong. It's the viewpoint they look at it from and their own personal opinions/biases/feelings/preferences.

I would have to disagree. Both of these opinions you stated are wrong. They are the two very extreme opposite opinions: 'keep everything the same' vs 'every change is great'

I think most of us here are somewhere in between: changes can be very good, but not every change is neccesarily a good thing.

And how can you tell which change is good and which is bad? Well, you can't really do that objectively, that's where your personal opinion takes over.

And again,we are all talking about our tastes.Music is an art,and the art depends of the persons and their tastes

They cant make music that everyone in the world likes,is imposible.And if they change their music,they are going to lose fans,but also they are going to win other fans.

If they keep doing the same,they are going to lose fans,because pepole also get tired of listening always the same music and by the other hand,they arent going to win people

They cant content only a group of people because is not profitable.Changes are good for them

I could say the same about your postings.

Maybe that's why you can't notice difference between good music and bad, new stuff and old. You give every Coldplay song 10 out of 10. Right? It's not even black and white vision, it's only one color, means blindness actually.

Maybe that's why you can't notice difference between good music and bad, new stuff and old. You give every Coldplay song 10 out of 10. Right? It's not even black and white vision, it's only one color, means blindness actually.

Whats the relation between the poll and my quotation?! Come on, talking to you is senseless.

I would have to disagree. Both of these opinions you stated are wrong. They are the two very extreme opposite opinions: 'keep everything the same' vs 'every change is great'

I think most of us here are somewhere in between: changes can be very good, but not every change is neccesarily a good thing.

And how can you tell which change is good and which is bad? Well, you can't really do that objectively, that's where your personal opinion takes over.

Fair enough. (: Just a thought. And you make a good point- many people are in-between the lines. More like "independents"/middle ground than anything. Consider my idea moot in such a case.

:(

Been a Coldplay fan since the beggining. I liked every album release up to date. Even though the albums were different in style, they clearly showed musical progress and evolution of this great band.

Heck, I even liked most of the b-sides too.

Altough I still regard Parachutes and AROBTTH to be their best work, I listened to Viva La Vida many times because it was a really well composed album, brilliant if you listen to it without skipping tracks.

But then came the Prospekt's march EP, and I didn't really like Glass of Water or Rainy Day... They seemed, I don't know.. Overproduced. Brian Eno's influence I suppose?.

It kind of sounded too artifficial to me.

Christmas lights gave me a glimmer of hope that this new direction isn't all that bad, but hearing these new songs... I just can't get myself to like them. It's like there's too much going on in a song (like in ETiAW) but it ends up just being a big mess. And the lyrics??..''I'd rather be a comma than a full stop''... Sounds like rather being in a comma than dead.. I know that's not the actual meaning, but that's an awful wordplay.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask, is it just me going insane, or do some older coldplay fans share these views?

Oh, goodness no. That's been the argument of the forum ever since ETIAW came out. You're not alone at all. :smiley:

This is begin with Eno - more complex sound, less soul and emotional input. I'm looking forward for small, acoustic, with piano LP6 without Eno and bunch of other people.

I agree with the bolded part, mostly because I looooove piano music.

I live the Major Minus studio as the live version i dont think its overproduced

bottom line is not every fan will like their favorite bands releases some will love it some will hate it

but it all goes down to whos the true fan..:D

What are you trying to insinuate with that statement, exactly?

Piano is too mainstream. :nod:

I don't agree with that. Even if that were true, who said mainstream anything is all bad?

Of course you have a right to feel as you do and there are definitely people who will empathize with this same feeling. But I look at it like this.

I mean it almost makes me think it breaks down into two general categories of people. Nothing wrong with either side, just differences in opinion. Like politics. This might be weird/random/unrelated but follow me here.

In politics there are conservatives. People who look at our country and say hey, there's nothing wrong with this. We are doing great! What's there to change? Changing could make things worse, we should stick with what's been going for us. Just like I'm sure there are people who heard Parachutes, A Rush of Blood to the Head, and even X&Y and thought "wow, music can't get any better than this." And then they heard VlVoDaAHF or the newer songs from the LP5 session and think "why did they have to change it? It was SO DAMN GOOD before. It was practically perfect. This pales in comparison to the greatness they had once achieved. Why couldn't they just go back and keep making that incredible sound where they left off instead of falling off quality-wise completely?

There are also liberals. People who look at our country and say hey, it's going bad or it's going decent but we could definitely improve on some things and create a better country. There's a risk in even changing things that might have worked but they could end up functioning even greater. There are similarly people who hear the new music and say "wow, the older albums were great but this is new and fresh." They embrace the new production, new direction, and new vocals as something different and potentially greater than their earlier stages. It was good back then but they keep getting better and expanding their repertoire of musical skills. The different musical styles and twists is positively lovely, I love how they keep pressing and testing their limits to create the best possible.

It's not whether one is right and one is wrong. No one is wrong. It's the viewpoint they look at it from and their own personal opinions/biases/feelings/preferences.

Comparing Coldplay fans to political parties? Really? Wow, how sad for you.

One thing I don't get is why some people (not all) who argue in favor of Coldplay's newest material say that the skeptics and naysayers have expectations that are too high. What, so we should expect F-grade material so that we can be pleasantly satisfied with D-grade material? If Coldplay has put out quality material in the past, there's no reason to be satisfied with something that isn't quality.

Bingo. We have a winner.

Exactly. That's very well put.

Of course, this goes on an artist-by-artist basis, but I'm of the belief that if something works so well for a band, there shouldn't be a whole lot of changes made to it, and if there are changes made, they shouldn't be too drastic. I've heard bands that have ignored this and have slowly but surely degraded. Take Keane, for example. Their first album was marvelous. Their second album wasn't quite up to the level of the first one, but it was close. Everything after it has plummeted, and while there are gems here and there in their post-LP2 material, Keane are nowhere near where they once were, and it makes me sad. On that same note, you have bands that don't change a lot at all, but are doing just fine. A good example of this is The National. Their music pretty much sounds the same throughout their discography, but it's perfectly OK, because this is what works for them, and I love it.

With Coldplay, while I don't think it's as bad as I initially thought (with the release of ETIAW, which is still my least favorite on the ETIAW EP), I think there are some things the boys could've done differently to make their music better.

not overrated, but maybe not your type of song?

personally I think it's the best of the 3 studio releases so far

I agree. MTM is so pretty. :heart:

I don't agree with that. Even if that were true, who said mainstream anything is all bad?

It was a joke. :lol:

Anyway, I think that while piano is nice...I love it when bands experiment with different styles, instruments, etc. That's what I liked about Viva. When you're confined to one instrument, it's too easy to start going in circles.

not overrated, but maybe not your type of song?

personally I think it's the best of the 3 studio releases so far

I mean, I like it, but I don't understand why people are drooling over it. I also don't understand why people are accusing Coldplay of "overproducing" Every Teardrop is a Waterfall and Major Minus but already referring to Moving to Mars as one of the greatest Coldplay songs. The song is dripping in thick studio production...maybe people are overlooking that because of the skeletal beginning...? The melody has great potential (especially the "maybe moving us to mars" bit), but I think it got lost in the arrangement. I also think the lyrics are somewhat sloppy (they don't compare to Hurts Like Heaven or Charlie Brown), and the guitar solo is just the chorus melody repeated. I swear, this song could have been amazing...but...I'm just not feeling it. I wish I was. :(

Edit: Maybe I'll make my own arrangement. :cool:

I think they're still very concerned about winning over the masses: that's why they're playing all their new/unreleased material at festivals. Any band, if they aim to be successful, need to be concerned about this.

And U2 is still the biggest band in the world. I think Coldplay would agree with that statement as well. Can Coldplay go to any corner of the world and sell out a 70,000 person stadium? They're definitely the heirs to the throne as kings of rock, but U2 still reign and will for a few more years.

Furthermore, I feel that Coldplay's soul is shining as bright as ever with their new material. They have gotten better with every release: AROBTTH was better than Parachutes, X&Y was better than AROBTTH, VLV was better than X&Y, and I have no doubt LP5 will be better than VLV.

:shocked2: WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAA X&Y better than AROBTTH, ummm no, by a LONGGGGGGG shot, X&Y is like their 3rd or 4th best album, jesus christ, X&Y really?? lol wow

I mean, I like it, but I don't understand why people are drooling over it. I also don't understand why people are accusing Coldplay of "overproducing" Every Teardrop is a Waterfall and Major Minus but already referring to Moving to Mars as one of the greatest Coldplay songs. The song is dripping in thick studio production...maybe people are overlooking that because of the skeletal beginning...? The melody has great potential (especially the "maybe moving us to mars" bit), but I think it got lost in the arrangement. I also think the lyrics are somewhat sloppy (they don't compare to Hurts Like Heaven or Charlie Brown), and the guitar solo is just the chorus melody repeated. I swear, this song could have been amazing...but...I'm just not feeling it. I wish I was. :(

Edit: Maybe I'll make my own arrangement. :cool:

ETIAW is over produced, MM sucks for maybe 44secs, MTM is acually quite nice but there is a mess up in the middle when the beat kicks in, case closed.

:shocked2: WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAA X&Y better than AROBTTH, ummm no, by a LONGGGGGGG shot, X&Y is like their 3rd or 4th best album, jesus christ, X&Y really?? lol wow

ETIAW is over produced, MM sucks for maybe 44secs, MTM is acually quite nice but there is a mess up in the middle when the beat kicks in, case closed.

:inquisitive:

You know, your opinion isn't the only one here. Can it.

Of course, this goes on an artist-by-artist basis, but I'm of the belief that if something works so well for a band, there shouldn't be a whole lot of changes made to it, and if there are changes made, they shouldn't be too drastic. I've heard bands that have ignored this and have slowly but surely degraded. Take Keane, for example. Their first album was marvelous. Their second album wasn't quite up to the level of the first one, but it was close. Everything after it has plummeted, and while there are gems here and there in their post-LP2 material, Keane are nowhere near where they once were, and it makes me sad. On that same note, you have bands that don't change a lot at all, but are doing just fine. A good example of this is The National. Their music pretty much sounds the same throughout their discography, but it's perfectly OK, because this is what works for them, and I love it.

This! My favorite Keane album was Under The Iron Sea, but Hopes and Fears is certainly there too, and both cannot even be compared to the stuff that they release these days. It shows glimpses of great but... it's just not as good. UTIS had such a good flow, it really clicked for me.

And then there's some bands that use the philosophy ''if it ain't broken, don't fix it'', such as Franz Ferdinand, who always have their recognizable sound.

But many people feel the need to change, and so do musicians. It's just a part of their evolving process I suppose. It's kind of ironic in Keane's case, since their first major hit was ''Everybody's changing'' with lyrics 'everybody's changing and I don't know why', and now they're the ones who changed (and we don't know why) :)

Bands change, because like people, we change through the years.

The things and instruments that turn us on when we were younger, now no longer don't. For example, why bands move from guitars to synths.

These songs aren't overproduced by any means. Heck, most people are probably listening to a rubbish low quality youtube stream of a song that probably tens of thousands of pounds worth of quality recording equipment to capture it.

Brian Eno is far from soulless. Infact, I think he's injected more life into the band than before. Making them go out of comfort zones and into the realm of more interesting sounds and less classic song structures.

The way I see it, I would rather Chris Martin be true to himself, write from the heart. How can you write melancholic ballads about love, loss and hurt, when you're a millionaire married to one of those beautiful women in the world?

You can't do it without sounding contrived and forced.

Thankfully, Chris found something different to write about, and we should be thankful for that.

the band is just change,if you are a fan of coldplay you will know that every albim coldplay have a diffrent style,so thats the new style of the LP5 so if you dont like it dont stop loving tham just hear the old songs and try not to hear the new ones,i just want to say i am very very very love the new style of coldplay but thats my Personal opinion so any way good music for everybody :D

This! My favorite Keane album was Under The Iron Sea, but Hopes and Fears is certainly there too, and both cannot even be compared to the stuff that they release these days. It shows glimpses of great but... it's just not as good. UTIS had such a good flow, it really clicked for me.

And then there's some bands that use the philosophy ''if it ain't broken, don't fix it'', such as Franz Ferdinand, who always have their recognizable sound.

But many people feel the need to change, and so do musicians. It's just a part of their evolving process I suppose. It's kind of ironic in Keane's case, since their first major hit was ''Everybody's changing'' with lyrics 'everybody's changing and I don't know why', and now they're the ones who changed (and we don't know why) :)

UTIS is great. I just happen to like H&F more because to me, it seems more...sincere? I don't know. I can't find a good word for it.

I find it interesting you used Franz Ferdinand as an example. I think their third album is quite different from their first two. It's more electronic.

Yeah, I understand that. I think it's our duty as fans, though, to make our voices heard when they change things. That way, they know what they should keep or get rid of. If there are so many people that dislike what a band does, they're most certainly going to at the very least take it into consideration and think, "Hmmm, our fanbase really didn't agree with this. Maybe we should go a different direction." On that same token, if there's something the band does that's spot on, they need to know that, too, so they can put it in their treasure chest of tricks and incorporate it in later music.

I could be alone on this but.. It's not so much the change that's bothering me. To be honest, I think a lot of the disappointment comes from the way all these songs were promoted/marketed.

Don't get me wrong, I like the new songs but it just feels like something (promotion-wise) is missing. :/ And I get the band are trying to be secretive about LP5, but maybe keeping such a tight lid on things may not be a good thing especially when they decide to release a song (ETIAW) and we have absolutely no idea what they're trying to achieve. And it kind of gives me the impression that band themselves aren't exactly sure what they're trying to achieve either.

Although regarding the change, I'm finding the new jackets and all getting to be a bit gimmicky now.. It was a fresh new idea during the Viva era, but now it just feels rehashed? And we have almost no idea why they're dressed that way either.

:(

Been a Coldplay fan since the beggining. I liked every album release up to date. Even though the albums were different in style, they clearly showed musical progress and evolution of this great band.

Heck, I even liked most of the b-sides too.

Altough I still regard Parachutes and AROBTTH to be their best work, I listened to Viva La Vida many times because it was a really well composed album, brilliant if you listen to it without skipping tracks.

But then came the Prospekt's march EP, and I didn't really like Glass of Water or Rainy Day... They seemed, I don't know.. Overproduced. Brian Eno's influence I suppose?.

It kind of sounded too artifficial to me.

Christmas lights gave me a glimmer of hope that this new direction isn't all that bad, but hearing these new songs... I just can't get myself to like them. It's like there's too much going on in a song (like in ETiAW) but it ends up just being a big mess. And the lyrics??..''I'd rather be a comma than a full stop''... Sounds like rather being in a comma than dead.. I know that's not the actual meaning, but that's an awful wordplay.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask, is it just me going insane, or do some older coldplay fans share these views?

COMPLETELY AGREE

And the lyrics??..''I'd rather be a comma than a full stop''... Sounds like rather being in a comma than dead.. I know that's not the actual meaning, but that's an awful wordplay.

Comma. COMMA. ( , ) As opposed to an exclamation point ( ! ) or a FULL STOP ( . ) Not COMA, as in a prolonged sleep.

If you still don't like the lyrics, fine. But understand them before you dismiss them. ;)