✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Should Coldplay use backing tracks?

MosesTheMarshmallow

What do you guys think? There are a lot of arguments for and against them, but I have a lot of conflicted feelings that I hope this thread can help towards resolving.

For:

-Chris gets to dance more

-Less mistakes (well, not necessarily: see In My Place at Main Square)

-Bigger, better sound.

-No need for extra musicians on songs like VLV, LIT.

-Most bands use them (or extra musicians)...power "trios" come to mind like Muse and Green Day.

Against:

-More honest, which is part of the appeal of Parachutes, which had NO backing tracks.

-Unnecessary in some cases, especially on AROBTTH songs. The Scientist doesn't REALLY need those strings.

-The band could certainly play the parts live; for example, instead of Chris dancing around at the end of Fix You, he could just sit down and play organ.

Note: this thread is not about whether they use backing tracks, because it's abundantly evident that they have on nearly everything since AROBTTH.

Anyways, discuss!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've a love/hate relationship with the use of backing tracks. I like the full sound but when I see live music, I want to see the musicians playing. Also, bands who rely on a lot of backing have very little room to change around the setlist on the fly. I really appreciate musicians who can offer up a surprise or two, showcasing their talent and love of music. Another thing that really irks me is when a vocalist runs around so much, their vocals suffer. I think Chris is guilty of this. During the Viva tour, there were times he was so breathless, he struggled to sing. I think this is stupid. Give us good music and we'll be excited, we don't need to see him jumping around to do that.

Guest howyousawtheworld

I don't have a problem with bands using playback.

I mean I'd love to see Coldplay perform with an orchestra (say the BBC Philharmonic or something which they really have to do) in a special one off gig which would blow everyone's mind away but on tour there's no problem.

But the idea of Coldplay performing with an orchestra like a Royal Albert Hall special would be truly mind blowing.

Preferably, no, they should try to play as much as they can by themselves, and get extra musicians if they need them. On the other hand, I don't know if the live experience would be worse if they didn't. On the subject of Muse, they have an extra live musician plus Matthew Bellamy has a built in sound trigger pad on his guitar.

I have voted YES, because in some songs it is not possible to reproduce the sound / the song without backing tracks. Here I am thinking of the violins in Viva la Vida as the Coldplay members do not play the violin.

But whenever possible, they should avoid the use of backing tracks.

I don't have a problem with bands using playback.

I mean I'd love to see Coldplay perform with an orchestra (say the BBC Philharmonic or something which they really have to do) in a special one off gig which would blow everyone's mind away but on tour there's no problem.

But the idea of Coldplay performing with an orchestra like a Royal Albert Hall special would be truly mind blowing.

Yeah, trying to bring even a string quartet everywhere seems like a hassle. And that calls into question whether you find extra musicians as a detractor in a performance. (maybe I should start a thread about that too :p) I guess with a band like Oasis, I always wished they would add "Jesus" to the band as a full member. :shrug:

NOEL GALLAGHER STYLE? :D

I've a love/hate relationship with the use of backing tracks. I like the full sound but when I see live music, I want to see the musicians playing. Also, bands who rely on a lot of backing have very little room to change around the setlist on the fly. I really appreciate musicians who can offer up a surprise or two, showcasing their talent and love of music. Another thing that really irks me is when a vocalist runs around so much, their vocals suffer. I think Chris is guilty of this. During the Viva tour, there were times he was so breathless, he struggled to sing. I think this is stupid. Give us good music and we'll be excited, we don't need to see him jumping around to do that.

The Viva tour was very characteristic of this, but I think Chris has tightened himself up on the most recent tour - a much better balance between audience interaction and focus on the music.

Preferably, no, they should try to play as much as they can by themselves, and get extra musicians if they need them. On the other hand, I don't know if the live experience would be worse if they didn't. On the subject of Muse, they have an extra live musician plus Matthew Bellamy has a built in sound trigger pad on his guitar.

Well, back in the day, Muse used backing tracks on songs like Bliss, Stockholm Syndrome, Butterflies and Hurricanes....now they have Morgan Nichols. Hmm... I'm thinking of a song like Trouble though...no backing tracks needed. :confused:

I believe Chris formerly recorded some of the backtracks before the concert. Not sure if he still does this. Does anyone remember this from the Live 2003 DVD?

I believe after X&Y, Brian Eno has been more involved with the backing tracks and we all know how everyone feels about him. :p

I have votes YES, because in some songs it is not possible to reproduce the sound / the song without backing tracks. Here I am thinking of the violins in Viva la Vida as the Coldplay members do not play the violin.

But whenever possible, they should avoid the use of backing tracks.

Agreed (although I have a feeling they all know how anyways :p). But "whenever possible"? They certainly haven't reached that status yet. The piano in the beginning of Violet Hill comes to mind.

I'd rather them use backing tracks than have some random schmuck on stage with them.

Sometimes you do need a backing track here and there for some songs, like VLV or LIT I guess...

I hate backing tracks that are vocals... UGH.

I also see Guy and Jonny singing backup vocals but I don't really believe that what were hearing is them live.

Backup vocals for them aren't live right? For Fix You during the "Tears stream" part is that really the whole band singing? Or is that more like just Chris and Will singing with a backing track playing? It sounds too perfect every time.

I hated it at rock am ring when they played Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall and the studio version was playing in the background at the end well the 'every tear' part then after they adjusted it to make it barely noticeable but it was a bit of a cringe worthy moment.

I also see Guy and Jonny singing backup vocals but I don't really believe that what were hearing is them live.

Backup vocals for them aren't live right? For Fix You during the "Tears stream" part is that really the whole band singing? Or is that more like just Chris and Will singing with a backing track playing? It sounds too perfect every time.

This. Most of the time, backing vocal tracks annoy me so much. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty much convinced that Chris and Will are the only ones who are actually singing during that part.

I'd rather them use backing tracks than have some random schmuck on stage with them.

Sometimes you do need a backing track here and there for some songs, like VLV or LIT I guess...

Agreed about the "random schmuck" thing, well, I think.

Yeah vocal ones are a bit too far in my opinion. But are you sure about Fix You? I never had any reason to suspect Guy and Jonny of lip-synching. The two of them are pretty good singers, the instrumental parts aren't *terribly* difficult, and the singing parts they have in the song are fairly reasonable for any male singer (unlike Chris and Will's, which actually require SERIOUS effort and therefore sound imperfect to an authentic extent).

On the other hand, I think there is a backup vocal during the verses of Lost that is playback. If you watch the Tokyo 2009 performance, it's especially noticeable that someone is singing but you don't see Will singing.

I hated it at rock am ring when they played Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall and the studio version was playing in the background at the end well the 'every tear' part then after they adjusted it to make it barely noticeable but it was a bit of a cringe worthy moment.

Whaaaaaa. o_O

Agreed, it was horrible. :stunned: At least they changed it at their other festivals :)

i voted maybe: on some songs it is totally okay because they need it.

but i really want live music to develop live 100%. kind of a WYSIWYG!**

i fear the new album relies too much on backing tracks =/

but i'm sure that NO song would need them actually! so this is a "maybe with a strong tendency towards no"

**what you see is what you get