✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why do Coldplay get so much hate?

Kiame

Simple question.

Coldplay, and more specifically - Chris, comes under a lot of fire quite often. I've heard Chris been insulted with nearly every name in the sun from a pile of sources.

And I just don't understand why. Chris seems to be a very likable, kind person and I can't think of anything he has done that would attract so much hatred.

So why is it? Is it because of the sheer popularity? Jealousy? Or is it something else?

Bonus Question! Why do some people get enjoyment from insulting others they don't know?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mainly because of jealousy, He has everything. A killer personality, an awesome wive, two great kids, a great source of income, which is also a very good band. One thing I don't understand is how people say Coldplay is gay, and people who listen to them are gay. First of all, who cares if someone is gay, and Chris lyrics are almost always about girls.

This reminds me of something my family once said to me. Last year a classmate of mine made it clear that she had a vendetta against me. I have a pretty good life, like most people I know. Well, my family said to me, "She must be jealous of you."

Don't we all go through that, whether it be the queen bee in H.S., the really handsome guy who gets all the girls, etc.

Everyone at one point in life loves to hate the person with the "perfect" life. But, in truth, they go through the same things as we do.

This reminds me of something my family once said to me. Last year a classmate of mine made it clear that she had a vendetta against me. I have a pretty good life, like most people I know. Well, my family said to me, "She must be jealous of you."

Don't we all go through that, whether it be the queen bee in H.S., the really handsome guy who gets all the girls, etc.

Everyone at one point in life loves to hate the person with the "perfect" life. But, in truth, they go through the same things as we do.

I can honestly say I've never experienced that. The reason I disliked the "queen bees" in High School wasn't because they were popular, but it was because they thought they were better than you because they were. It was their arrogance and their elitism that I didn't like.

But Coldplay don't have that at all.

I guess certain personalities just like to shoot down high fliers.

Just show how big Coldplay is you know? Like enough people know about them to have this much hate. I get picked at school and stuff for my love of Coldplay, and I can't imagine what people say right to Chris' face or what he reads.

I would say jealousy is the main reason though. I mean he is just an awesome guy and they are just an awesome band.

Mainly because of jealousy, He has everything. A killer personality, an awesome wive, two great kids, a great source of income, which is also a very good band. One thing I don't understand is how people say Coldplay is gay, and people who listen to them are gay. First of all, who cares if someone is gay, and Chris lyrics are almost always about girls.

Very well said indeed. Couldn't have put it any better myself.:cool:

I can honestly say I've never experienced that. The reason I disliked the "queen bees" in High School wasn't because they were popular, but it was because they thought they were better than you because they were. It was their arrogance and their elitism that I didn't like.

But Coldplay don't have that at all.

I guess certain personalities just like to shoot down high fliers.

I really don't know anyone terribly popular (my school is relatively clique free). Just making an example. :\

But I've always wondered the same thing. I mean, why hate four men who are incredible people and make wonderful music? I guess you have to be on the outside to know. :shrug:

They go their own way. They make music which is some kind of different than other mainstream stuff.. I'm proud of the fact that I love Coldplay, I'm not interested in other people's opinion. I think, the music of coldplay helps everybody to life his own perfect live, and that's the message that goes with it.

Some people just need to hate someone/something, and successful people like Chris and Coldplay make easy targets. It's sad,but part of human nature. It is partly jealousy and partly trying to detract attention from what they consider their own failings.

I am pretty lucky. I have friends who don't enjoy Coldplay, but they don't hate them simply because of differing musical taste. I wish more people were that mature.

Some people just need to hate someone/something, and successful people like Chris and Coldplay make easy targets. It's sad,but part of human nature. It is partly jealousy and partly trying to detract attention from what they consider their own failings.

I am pretty lucky. I have friends who don't enjoy Coldplay, but they don't hate them simply because of differing musical taste. I wish more people were that mature.

Yes, there's a massive difference between not liking something or someone and having an irrational 'hatred' of them.

If people want to say they think Coldplay's music or image is crap, or even poke fun at them, then fine (these comments are like water off a duck's back). Even if someone said they thought Chris looked like a monkey or something like that, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. But to say the music is 'gay', or to actually denigrate any of the band's members, or Gwyneth, when there's never been any publicity (as far as I know) to suggest they've done anyone any harm or treated them badly? That's truly pathetic, and shouldn't be condoned in any way whatsoever.:dozey:

Yes, there's a massive difference between not liking something or someone and having an irrational 'hatred' of them.

If people want to say they think Coldplay's music or image is crap, or even poke fun at them, then fine (these comments are like skin off a duck's back). Even if someone said they thought Chris looked like a monkey or something like that, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. But to say the music is 'gay', or to actually denigrate any of the band's members, or Gwyneth, when there's never been any publicity (as far as I know) to suggest they've done anyone any harm or treated them badly? That's truly pathetic, and shouldn't be condoned in any way whatsoever.:dozey:

There's plenty of music out there that I can't stand...but I'm really not hateful of the ones making it. Poking fun at Lady Gargoyle is one thing. Investing deep emotional resentment is another. I understand it from a psychological standpoint, but I don't know why we can't outgrow it as a species. It's ok with me if someone doesn't like Coldplay's music, but to spit personal hatred at them is a waste of energy...and yes, is just pathetic.

And is probably best ignored.

There's plenty of music out there that I can't stand...but I'm really not hateful of the ones making it. Poking fun at Lady Gargoyle is one thing. Investing deep emotional resentment is another. I understand it from a psychological standpoint, but I don't know why we can't outgrow it as a species. It's ok with me if someone doesn't like Coldplay's music, but to spit personal hatred at them is a waste of energy...and yes, is just pathetic.

And is probably best ignored.

Couldn't agree more. :cool: What I particularly can't understand is how people feel compelled to express such 'hatred' on a website or message board specifically set up for fans of said singer or band. That totally beggars belief. :dozey:

The hate Coldplay get is completely disproportional. The hate Chris Martin gets is even more disproportional to other popular musicians.

Agreed. What has Chris ever done in either his public or personal life that warrants such vilification?:confused:

The hate Coldplay get is completely disproportional. The hate Chris Martin gets is even more disproportional to other popular musicians.

Maybe you see it that way cos you're a Coldplay fan. What I mean is that you're inclined to look up for videos, interviews, articles, pics and whatnot, of course you're bound to see it everywhere and really huge. I think U2 gets a lot of crap too lol, the point is that no matter how much you think this is huge and big and omg so ridiculously big it's not as big as you think.

If I'm honest I think Bieber gets more hate than Coldplay.

Maybe you see it that way cos you're a Coldplay fan. What I mean is that you're inclined to look up for videos, interviews, articles, pics and whatnot, of course you're bound to see it everywhere and really huge. I think U2 gets a lot of crap too lol, the point is that no matter how much you think this is huge and big and omg so ridiculously big it's not as big as you think.

If I'm honest I think Bieber gets more hate than Coldplay.

We all spend a lot of time on a Coldplay forum where we see all those interviews, reviews etc. So I think you're right. Our awareness of the hate is disproportionate since they're a band we spend more time following up on. On FB, for example, I see Bieber get a Lot more abuse. No offense to any of his fans, but I don't like his music. That doesn't mean I spend my time hating him as a person though. Anyone with that much anger and that much time on their hands needs a life, and maybe some therapy. :)

We all spend a lot of time on a Coldplay forum where we see all those interviews, reviews etc. So I think you're right. Our awareness of the hate is disproportionate since they're a band we spend more time following up on. On FB, for example, I see Bieber get a Lot more abuse. No offense to any of his fans, but I don't like his music. That doesn't mean I spend my time hating him as a person though. Anyone with that much anger and that much time on their hands needs a life, and maybe some therapy. :)

I don't think most "haters" aren't actually haters. Sure some people do invest a lot of their time mentioning artists they don't like, and looking up for vids and news about them to mock and point how horrible they are, such as Gaga. I don't know I'm generally not interested in reading comments on Youtube or some internet article, so I don't really see the CP hate anymore (or any other band hate really).

I see Bieber get a Lot more abuse. No offense to any of his fans, but I don't like his music. That doesn't mean I spend my time hating him as a person though. Anyone with that much anger and that much time on their hands needs a life, and maybe some therapy. :)

I agree, and that relates to people who aren't in the public eye too. :smug: I also can't stand Bieber's music or image, but I have no idea what he's actually like as a person irl, so there's no reason to say he's an a*hole or anything like that.

There was an anti-Gaga page on Facebook where people went way too far with their comments, and it was justifiably closed down.;)

As we've been saying all along, there's a massive difference between "taking the p*ss" and actual hateful comments.

If someone pokes fun at Chris's appearance, fashion style or stage act, or posts a video of him screwing up or falling over on stage (as long as he hasn't been hurt or anything like that) no problem whatsoever. I don't care.

For me its because of the extreme success of the band and Chris Martin in every possible way. On private level without any scandal, a wife, two kids but also on work level with one of the greatest bands of all time, extremely good music, successful music too, beautiful live band etc.

Coldplay and the members are extremely kind and friendly consequently they don't left any space to critisize them.

Coldplay and the members are extremely kind and friendly consequently they don't left any space to critisize them.

So the big question is, why do people deem it necessary to try to find a way to criticise them (or indeed Gwyneth) on a personal level?:confused: