✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I need performing tips

86Timewarp

Just get absorbed in the music you're playing but don't forget there's people in front of you.

What I do for comfort on stage, is think about the number of people there, weirdly the more people the better for me, it's an odd feeling. Give it a try, just think to yourself "there's quite a lot of people watching me...this is great!"

And no, I'm no egotist anxious to be the centre of attention, I just like people watching me, but I would never push it, (y'know saying something like "hey look at me!").

Essentially what I'm trying to say is enjoy the attention because it doesn't last, but don't let your ego get the best of you, because then you can become somebody who's so far up his own arse that he doesn't know whether to speak or fart.

But don't do just coldplay covers, unless it's a coldplay night, you should do something else as well, like The Beatles or Simon and Garfunkel, something like that that people want to hear (as well as coldplay OF COURSE).

Hope I helped out a little bit.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not recommend perfoming The Scientist, Clocks, Fix You or Politik if it's only a single person perfoming. Unless you can't work out a special version, those songs will not sound good without other instruments. Especially The Scientist has no real melodic changes except more instruments coming in. Clocks has a few parts with only bass and drums, Politik and Fix You will lose their power if you only use an organ or piano. Lost?, however, is a pretty good idea, as well as Death And All His Friends, but I also wouldn't recommend Death And All His Friends if you're not a very good singer or whatever-player (have you mentioned if you're playing piano/guitar/etc. yet?) as you will have to replace the power of 3 other instruments with your voice and the instrument you're playing.

Do Us Against The World only if you can and feel that you're able to do the Will part. If you are then well you'll win the show, if you aren't then just leave it.

It's a perfect song and audience would totally love it but if you'll mess up Will part ("if we could float away" is definitely the hardest to sing) then it's better for you to not perform this one.

Will someone record your performance?

Don't take it as offensive, but why should he do two voices during Us Against The World? This part is pretty hard to sing, yes, but if he's perfoming alone he probably won't sing Wills part or am I getting it wrong?

I know all the parts in UATW, the thing is, I dont take singing lessions so even though I am a Tenor, I cant reach those notes unless my emotions and self-confidence kicks in. Btw I'm playing the piano/keyboard to all of these.

New Setlist:

Lost?

UATW

Yellow (Acoustic)

Huge fan of Lost? at open mics (I played that at one at Busboy's & Poets in DC this winter)

I don't know if this would fit into your little mini set at all but "Postcards From Far Away" is a fun little piece to play and might be interesting to start with. You know, like show off some piano skills first and get the audience on your side and then start singing after that confidence boost. Also, if you can get the sustain pedal working for you "Reign of Love" can sound gorgeous solo piano.

And when you say "Yellow (Acoustic)" do you mean like the one Chris did for the radio station where he played it all slow?

Cheers and good luck!! :)

Don't take it as offensive, but why should he do two voices during Us Against The World? This part is pretty hard to sing, yes, but if he's perfoming alone he probably won't sing Wills part or am I getting it wrong?

Lol no. I didn't wrote Will's part, but Will part. Yes, maybe that's not a very big difference in writing but it is in the meaning. I consider Will part as the part when Will joins in. Not HIS vocal. So what is it again? From "Like a river to a raindrop" almost 'til the end. And why I mentioned it? I've already written that the part when they sing "And if we could float away" is based not really high but powerful notes. So if he's not sure of himself he shouldn't perform it. Any more doubts?

Lol no. I didn't wrote Will's part, but Will part. Yes, maybe that's not a very big difference in writing but it is in the meaning. I consider Will part as the part when Will joins in. Not HIS vocal. So what is it again? From "Like a river to a raindrop" almost 'til the end. And why I mentioned it? I've already written that the part when they sing "And if we could float away" is based not really high but powerful notes. So if he's not sure of himself he shouldn't perform it. Any more doubts?

Woops. Sorry. :D Now it makes sense.

Alright well I'm going this week and I passed my self-rehearsal test :laugh3: only issue: the keyboard that a guy's bring has weighted keys:

Setlist:

Yellow

UATW

Life is for Living

can I just ask why you're playing only songs by Coldplay? Most people who aren't fans of them (it'd be safe to assume that the people aren't) won't really want to hear a full set of coldplay songs. Honestly, I do strongly advise some other addition, instead of Us against The World, play something like a Cat Stevens song, because UATW is not very well known at all. Just a word of advise, and plus you know the common viewpoint of coldplay (that idea that they are always boring, depressing and drudgy). I'm not saying these people will have this view, but it's good to take it into account.

I agree with the above. Most people dont know uatw or life is for living and to be honest yellow is a Guitar song. If you want to play any coldplay songs on piano for this id recommend clocks and the scientist then lost or maybe viva la vida. im sorry but in my opinion your not gonna win the crowd over if your playing 2 unknown songs then a song not usually done on that instrument if you were to do those songs id recommend doing them if your doing a full show not a 3 song setlist.

See the main problem is that it's ALL COLDPLAY SONGS. I mean 86Timewarp, yourself you stated your area isn't particularly "coldplay-loving", so why not play something by someone else as well?

I know I've said it a couple of times, but regardless to the fact that I do love Coldplay, I would not enjoy hearing someone playing 100% songs by them, I'd only enjoy it if it was somebody from that band playing, same would go for Elbow, Primal Scream, Blur, or whoever really.

I understand where you guys are coming from. I did pretty well, everyone joined in on yellow. Actually, I have people who can back me up, but I'm gonna add some Beatles. I'm not gonna drop Life is for Living, but I'm gonna scarp the rest. And most of the people perform the same songs over and over again so why not add Coldplay to the mix. But anyway, I might add Let it Be, Back in the USSR, or Hear Comes the Sun. It has to be a 3 song setlist.

But thanks guys for the advice! Keep it coming!