✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I need performing tips

86Timewarp

I'm a noob forgive me :P

But I suck at open mics, probably cause I'm nervous and unprepared, but aside from practicing, and thinking away with the audience, do you have equipment, constructive advice?

They're all Coldplay songs :P but I need knowledge:

How to sing into a mic, do I sing close to it? Do I project?

Stand or sit?

and anything else you know!

Thanks!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sing as close as you can (singing far away is a bigger risk of feedback), and I find it easier to stand, but it's all a matter of what makes you comfortable.

And don't try to think away the audience. I like to try to think that I'm in front of an audience when I'm practising.

And yes, project. Depending on what equipment these open mics have, they can adjust your volume accordingly or put a compressor on you.

One thing I find helpful is to have someone to perform with.

hope this helps!

you play the keyboard, so sitting will help a lot ;) generally, playing an instrument is good, because then you MUST know where you are and what you're to do. also, as a solo performer, it adds flexibility to your performance - see the backing track problems -> consider your band (if you're a singer only) as a recorded track that cannot be changed; at least if they are not very good (so they can improvise and adapt) or well instructed

singing directly into the mic with a distance of like 1cm or less is good, but remember to back off if you sing loud passages or sing with your mouth right next to the mic but not into it when using P sounds. e.g. "and the hardest part..." i always have to back off or turn a little to the side when singing part because otherwise it'll be a loud BOOM only, like a bass drum

being confident helps veeery much, so be prepared properly and KNOW YOUR LYRICS by hard... if you have to think "ooh what's the next line`??" hile singing, you'll sound bad because you cannot focus.

Relax. Think of it as a pleasure and that you're doing what you love.

As said before sing close to the mic and sit if you'll be playing there too.

Play sideways. I mean as Chris does when he's performing. If you would have to stare directly and constantly at the audience it would probably kill you. But still have the eye contact. Well, just do what your feel, express yourself. Be focused and so on but don't be afraid to smile sometimes. I don't know what else I should recomend you. I'm a backing vocal so I never sang alone in front of the audience.

Sing as close as you can to that mic, you can even (if it's your own mic, otherwise there might be someone whos not a real fan of your slobber in his mic ;D) touch it with your mouth. If the mic is set up well, this will avoid popping-sounds. It's easier to do it like that than turn to the side like princesanji mentioned. Trying to avoid such sounds with the turn-aside-method will require you to know the mic and in what position your voice doesn't get too quiet and the popping sound is not too heavy.

You should never think away the audience; the audience is the "receiver" of everything you're doing and technically you're doing it to entertain those guys. Speaking to them might get you more familiar with them and this can also make it easier.

I know these guys mentioned popping sounds already, but the popping is usually taken care of by the sound man. Depending on how much you know about live sound, you can eliminate pops by rolling out some of the bass on your vocal channel.

Oh, I forgot to tell you: Make sure you can hear yourself loud enough when playing/singing. If you don't, you may be surprised when you realize that you sometimes don't hit the notes (it is very difficult to sing without hearing yourself trough a monitoring system). You can also "feel" if you're close enough (or maybe too close) to the mic if you hear yourself. (If it's not loud enough, get closer etc., I think this is self-explanatory, but just in case it's not; now it is ;D)

Do Us Against The World only if you can and feel that you're able to do the Will part. If you are then well you'll win the show, if you aren't then just leave it.

It's a perfect song and audience would totally love it but if you'll mess up Will part ("if we could float away" is definitely the hardest to sing) then it's better for you to not perform this one.

Will someone record your performance?

EDIT: If you still think about the setlist I recommend you The Hardest Part, Life Is For Living, Til Kingdom Come (Only if you're not performing UATW because they're similiar), The Scientist or maybe Politik, Clocks, Fix You, Death and All His Friends. Maybe because those four tracks are quite powerful at the end so when you're performing alone it may sound a little hm shallow.

EDIT2: Oh I forget. Why won't you sing Lost? It's a great song and even Chris performed it acoustic I think it would be a good choice and it doesn't require a lot of high notes or something.