✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

If Mylo Xyloto is Based on a Love Story, Then Why Am I Hating What I Hear?

john_crawford44

I have to admit that when I originally heard that Coldplay were doing a "concept" album of sorts, I was excited. But when I heard it was loosely based on a love story, OCD, and songs where Chris was writing from another person's perspective, I started to worry. Then I got really excited when I saw some of the song titles making their way around the internet. When "Every Teardrop" finally fell in our laps, however, I was disappointed. But then I heard "Charlie Brown", "HLH", "UATW" and a few others and I thought: o.k., ETIW was just a hiccup, a Summer song. Besides, I really dug Moving to Mars. Then, September 12.

Like many of you, I got a snippet of "Paradise" before it came out and I thought it was building to something epic. And it is epic... but not a "forced" epic. It has zero feeling to it. I can't relate to the story and the emotion and that was what Coldplay has been able to do better than any band I like: no matter what the lyrics meant, the "feeling" I would get was personal. It's like Christmas morning and I am staring at the gift I didn't expect... and I can't pretend it doesn't hurt anymore than if you accidentally dropped a 25-pound weight on my foot. It hurts.

It could be a cool, dark album or an absolute disaster... and so far, what we have is a very feminine few songs that seem way too forced and crafted. Concept albums are hit or miss - but am I the only fan who doesn't care about this story based on what we have heard so far?