✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Paradise is the most haunting song from the MX era so far

blankshore

Some scattershot opinions that didn't seem to fit in anywhere else:

When I read the Bilboard interview that Move to Mars was unlikely to make the album, I was crushed. When I saw the tracklisting and saw for sure that it didn't make the cut, I collapsed completely. What made Move to Mars so damned compelling was how atmospheric it was--it sounded like Chris had crawled over to a piano in a drunken state of depression and banged this out in one take. It sounded like a man on his last whim, barely concious enough to understand what he himself was saying. It was different, haunting, yet climactic; the ugly, drunken cousin of Fix You. In the midst of poppy, melody-driven songs like Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, Charlie Brown and Hurts Like Heaven, this song was necessary. Without it, I didn't see how the album could succeed.

Then I heard Paradise, and its arguably more haunting than the track it (in my opinion, obviously) replaced. Paradise is what Cemetaries of London wanted to be; but whereas Cemetaries had to resort to the imagery of graveyards and witches to evoke an emotion that mildly resembled unrest, Paradise does so with more narrative-driven lyrics with a female protagonist that on paper appear to be pop-friendly and uplifting. They aren't.

When that thunderous synth comes in and the band starts chanting "It should be Para, para, paradise" it doesn't sound like an attempt at a sing-along chorus. It sounds cynical, like the band is angrily aware of how ridiculous it sounds. If you read the lyrics out of context it almost looks like the words to a school-yard chant, and the band sings it like one. The repetitive tale of this girl sounds like a cautionary one rather than an inspirational one.

Coldplay released this song because they felt that it didn't sound like a typical lead single, and I think they're definitely right. I'm baffled that people are dismissing this as a poppy cash-grab. This song is angry, haunting and vaguely cynical. It's accomplishes with swirling violins, hip-hop beats and thundering synths what Move to Mars did with quiet piano and enebriated vocals. This isn't the Coldplay we knew in 2000. This is a creative mess. And its supposed to be. Its one of the most interesting songs they've ever done.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking about this song all day...and when a song makes you think for a whole day, that's got to be a good sign, right?

I think my theory makes sense given its context in the album as well. Coming right after the extremely visual Hurts Like Heaven and before the bittersweet Charlie Brown, Paradise helps create a sense of conflict before the first half's resolution, which is Every Teardrop is a Waterfall. It seems like they've put a lot of thought into the tracklisting, which I like. A track list can make or break an album, as they found out with X&Y.

That's some sense-making thoughts right there.

I tried to listen paradise again after read this,unfortunately, still not a good song to me:(

Such a good description of Move to Mars, I'd really like that song make the album rather than paradise.

good thread man. appreciate your thinking.

Ha! Thanks, guys. I felt the need to say something positive after that dishearteningly lengthy compliation of hatred on the front page of the site :p

EDIT: JesseSleeP

Hey, I hear ya. Everybody here loves Major Minus and I think it's garbage. I can't make people like a song that I like. I just think this song has some serious merits, and I don't think its fair that pretty much everybody defending it has been dismissed as fanboys/fangirls.

I do think a lot of these songs are going to be better in context, though. I remember really hating Violet Hill when it first came out, but after hearing it a few times in its place on the album I found it to be one of the strongest tracks they've ever done. So you never know :)

Very good, well thought out post. I think that the lyrics are so few and far between that I never really looked for any meaning beyond it being a happy song. Some of the lyrics are actually really apprehensive and foreboding, overall its kind of an uneasy tale foreshadowing things to come (Major Minus and the dark side). I know its a stretch, and probably giving Coldplay too much credit but maybe this song is mean to make some people feel uneasy about it fitting into the overall story, while still appealing to the masses.

Its funny I've been trying to make sense of the ETIAW to MM transition and always imagine it as a happy couple celebrating at the end of ETIAW then pan out to a group of men in black suits watching them through a security camera at the start of MM.

'Creative mess' I feel that's exactly what Chris is all about.

For some reason "creative mess" is the term that keeps coming to mind when I hear these new songs. In a good way. That's what I loved about the Prospekt's March EP--it was so all-over-the-place. I read a comment on here where somebody said that every song from MX sounds like it goes against every creative inclination Coldplay has...and I don't think that's true. I think it goes against every inclination that we have as Coldplay listeners. But this ambition has obviously always been there. If you've ever listened to their B-Sides (as I'm sure most people here have) you know there's some pretty out-there stuff, even in their earliest days. I just think there's no longer any fear in putting that out-there stuff...well, out there. That's what's different.

Very good, well thought out post. I think that the lyrics are so few and far between that I never really looked for any meaning beyond it being a happy song. Some of the lyrics are actually really apprehensive and foreboding, overall its kind of an uneasy tale foreshadowing things to come (Major Minus and the dark side). I know its a stretch, and probably giving Coldplay too much credit but maybe this song is mean to make some people feel uneasy about it fitting into the overall story, while still appealing to the masses.

Its funny I've been trying to make sense of the ETIAW to MM transition and always imagine it as a happy couple celebrating at the end of ETIAW then pan out to a group of men in black suits watching them through a security camera at the start of MM.

Crap dude, that's an awesome post. That last paragraph about the happy couple...YES! I like it! I think you just forced me to actually like Major Minus :shocked2:

Coming right after the extremely visual Hurts Like Heaven and before the bittersweet Charlie Brown, Paradise helps create a sense of conflict before the first half's resolution, which is Every Teardrop is a Waterfall.

i really think Moving to Mars would perfectly fit this job though.

but what happens happens, eventually paradise will do i guess.

I don't think Paradise is so bad. There's just so much girth to the song, and we don't yet know how it fits into the whole scheme that is Mylo Xyloto.

The song is good, but I think the instrumentation says so much more than those lyrics do. Perhaps they know that the lyrics are cheesy. But the lyrics are one layer of many, many musical layers (a Coldplay onion!) that create a bold atmosphere; the whole of which is required to really grasp the story of what the song is trying to say.

Though I do like Moving to Mars better, Paradise isn't half bad. Thanks for the read! I was a little wary of returning to the site after seeing so much shallow back-and-forthing.

Crap dude, that's an awesome post. That last paragraph about the happy couple...YES! I like it! I think you just forced me to actually like Major Minus :shocked2:

Haha thanks. Although I don't want to force you to listen to Major Minus (Personally I like it) I was just trying to figure out what I thought was a weird transition. I feel like this entire story for MX is basically a modern 1984 with some space elements. I actually think Paradise would fit between ETIAW and MM perfectly.

I think each of these new songs was written with a "character" in mind which is something we're not used to with Coldplay. For paradise you have to a girl who has dreamt of something more in life, and having recently fallen in love she is wondering if this is it while at the same time being so nervous that is could all fall apart because of a problematic past.

This is how I picture the first part of the album:

Mylo Xyloto: Intro to album/story

Hurts Like Heaven: Intro to male lead (Boy with a spray can soul, very edgy self assured)

Paradise: Intro to female lead (Girl who dreamed of paradise despite oppression, very unsure of self)

Charlie Brown: Boy (HLH) goes to meet girl (Paradise) realizes his own short comings

Us Against the World: Boy and girl meet, vow that though they are different they will be together

M.M.I.X.: Yeah... no idea, going by relationship standard this song would be where they have sex so.... yeah

ETIAW: The happy celebration that they are together, time passes with them together and they lived happily ever after.... (Bloody Question Mark)

Im hoping ur right, this song would be alot better to me if wat ur saying is true really hope it is, songs growin on me a little. It was a major let down when i first heard but my expectations were rediculously high so... i dont know, glad you made this educated analsis of this single that sould have stayed under the radar

P.S. dont feel like spelling today