✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Paradise is the most haunting song from the MX era so far

blankshore

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll be like nothing we've heard before.

Mylo Xyloto is going to be a beautiful trainwreck.

I'm really excited.

Lol.. Didn't know a trainwreck could be beautiful. But yeah the way I envision this album now can only be described by Chris dancing dramatically on stage while some inception type shite happens to blow my mind and then the silence from Dr. Who appear in Major Minus as the big brother type character.. Yeah I don't know Im pretty tired, but this thread has lifted my spirits again.

When that thunderous synth comes in and the band starts chanting "It should be Para, para, paradise" it doesn't sound like an attempt at a sing-along chorus. It sounds cynical, like the band is angrily aware of how ridiculous it sounds. If you read the lyrics out of context it almost looks like the words to a school-yard chant, and the band sings it like one. The repetitive tale of this girl sounds like a cautionary one rather than an inspirational one.

Thank you so much for saying something positive about "Paradise". The negative comments have been getting me down all day. I wasn't impressed by the song the first time I heard it, but I never hated it, and it's growing on me. :) I agree with what your thoughts about the way that "Para Para Paradise" is like a chant more than a chorus. The way it is repeated and the ethereal wall of sound is hypnotising to me, almost like meditating or something. I also find it amazing that the music has the same emotion to me as the word "Paradise". That's powerful stuff. I have found through listening that maybe this is where the beauty in this song lies. I was kind of wanting for more lyrics in this song, but maybe it doesn't need it after all.

Lol.. Didn't know a trainwreck could be beautiful. But yeah the way I envision this album now can only be described by Chris dancing dramatically on stage while some inception type shite happens to blow my mind and then the silence from Dr. Who appear in Major Minus as the big brother type character.. Yeah I don't know Im pretty tired, but this thread has lifted my spirits again.

It's a dichotomy :laugh3: that was the point.

I bet the live shows are gonna be great. I saw them atLolla and arguably the best, highest-energy ones were the new tracks.

This is how I picture the first part of the album:

Mylo Xyloto: Intro to album/story

Hurts Like Heaven: Intro to male lead (Boy with a spray can soul, very edgy self assured)

Paradise: Intro to female lead (Girl who dreamed of paradise despite oppression, very unsure of self)

Charlie Brown: Boy (HLH) goes to meet girl (Paradise) realizes his own short comings

Us Against the World: Boy and girl meet, vow that though they are different they will be together

M.M.I.X.: Yeah... no idea, going by relationship standard this song would be where they have sex so.... yeah

ETIAW: The happy celebration that they are together, time passes with them together and they lived happily ever after.... (Bloody Question Mark)

Quite liking this interpretation, as well as that in the original post.

It's a dichotomy :laugh3: that was the point.

I bet the live shows are gonna be great. I saw them atLolla and arguably the best, highest-energy ones were the new tracks.

I been at Lolla too, what a great time.

and i bet you would agree that the new songs like HLH, CB and ETIAW are all amazingly amazing live. Can't wait to see them live again when they touring after the new release.

But live is one thing and winning awards is another. I am worried grammy panels won't favor their newest change, according to last two years rock winners' style.(arcade fire, mumford & sons and kings of leon. no no, not muse) and I really want them to win a grammy for this album.

I totally agree with you that Paradise is the most haunting song from this era yet released... I haven't been able to get it out of my head since first hearing it yesterday... and THANK YOU. Your post is a breath of fresh air amidst all of this negativity. Although Paradise is very different from anything Coldplay has previously released, I do enjoy it. I do believe that this album is going to be great and definitely much better than people seem to be giving it credit for with the release of Paradise.

I do think a lot of these songs are going to be better in context, though. I remember really hating Violet Hill when it first came out, but after hearing it a few times in its place on the album I found it to be one of the strongest tracks they've ever done. So you never know :)

^ This. I have the same feelings from VH, too. And now, I like it.

Some scattershot opinions that didn't seem to fit in anywhere else:

When I read the Bilboard interview that Move to Mars was unlikely to make the album, I was crushed. When I saw the tracklisting and saw for sure that it didn't make the cut, I collapsed completely. What made Move to Mars so damned compelling was how atmospheric it was--it sounded like Chris had crawled over to a piano in a drunken state of depression and banged this out in one take. It sounded like a man on his last whim, barely concious enough to understand what he himself was saying. It was different, haunting, yet climactic; the ugly, drunken cousin of Fix You. In the midst of poppy, melody-driven songs like Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, Charlie Brown and Hurts Like Heaven, this song was necessary. Without it, I didn't see how the album could succeed.

Then I heard Paradise, and its arguably more haunting than the track it (in my opinion, obviously) replaced. Paradise is what Cemetaries of London wanted to be; but whereas Cemetaries had to resort to the imagery of graveyards and witches to evoke an emotion that mildly resembled unrest, Paradise does so with more narrative-driven lyrics with a female protagonist that on paper appear to be pop-friendly and uplifting. They aren't.

When that thunderous synth comes in and the band starts chanting "It should be Para, para, paradise" it doesn't sound like an attempt at a sing-along chorus. It sounds cynical, like the band is angrily aware of how ridiculous it sounds. If you read the lyrics out of context it almost looks like the words to a school-yard chant, and the band sings it like one. The repetitive tale of this girl sounds like a cautionary one rather than an inspirational one.

Coldplay released this song because they felt that it didn't sound like a typical lead single, and I think they're definitely right. I'm baffled that people are dismissing this as a poppy cash-grab. This song is angry, haunting and vaguely cynical. It's accomplishes with swirling violins, hip-hop beats and thundering synths what Move to Mars did with quiet piano and enebriated vocals. This isn't the Coldplay we knew in 2000. This is a creative mess. And its supposed to be. Its one of the most interesting songs they've ever done.

Not trying to be disrespectful, but this only your interpretation of it. It's clear you've put a lot of thought into it, but still it all comes down to the fact it's just an opinion. I myself can't imagine the band release a song which they know sounds ridiculous. Maybe it's just me, but there's nothing haunting in it. I can't hear it. It's like trying to find haunting elements in a Britney Spears' song. Now, I would really like to be convinced it's actually a deliberate piece of music because I certainly miss something deliberate in the MX era. Otherwise I'll think this post just an attempt to comfort yourself and to excuse another Coldplay's failure.

And by the way, it's Moving to Mars.

blankshore, I think you are right, and adding to your 'analysis', the song seems full of longing followed by violent realisations (the 'cynical chant' you mentioned). From 1:30-1:43, the ooohs sound like longing and the electronic, clicking sort of noise sounds like a "hopeful transmission"!

Some scattershot opinions that didn't seem to fit in anywhere else:

When I read the Bilboard interview that Move to Mars was unlikely to make the album, I was crushed. When I saw the tracklisting and saw for sure that it didn't make the cut, I collapsed completely. What made Move to Mars so damned compelling was how atmospheric it was--it sounded like Chris had crawled over to a piano in a drunken state of depression and banged this out in one take. It sounded like a man on his last whim, barely concious enough to understand what he himself was saying. It was different, haunting, yet climactic; the ugly, drunken cousin of Fix You. In the midst of poppy, melody-driven songs like Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, Charlie Brown and Hurts Like Heaven, this song was necessary. Without it, I didn't see how the album could succeed.

Then I heard Paradise, and its arguably more haunting than the track it (in my opinion, obviously) replaced. Paradise is what Cemetaries of London wanted to be; but whereas Cemetaries had to resort to the imagery of graveyards and witches to evoke an emotion that mildly resembled unrest, Paradise does so with more narrative-driven lyrics with a female protagonist that on paper appear to be pop-friendly and uplifting. They aren't.

Coldplay released this song because they felt that it didn't sound like a typical lead single, and I think they're definitely right. I'm baffled that people are dismissing this as a poppy cash-grab. This song is angry, haunting and vaguely cynical. It's accomplishes with swirling violins, hip-hop beats and thundering synths what Move to Mars did with quiet piano and enebriated vocals. This isn't the Coldplay we knew in 2000. This is a creative mess. And its supposed to be. Its one of the most interesting songs they've ever done.

I think you're especially right about the cynical meaning, thats something i picked up on too.

Not trying to be disrespectful, but this only your interpretation of it. It's clear you've put a lot of thought into it, but still it all comes down to the fact it's just an opinion. I myself can't imagine the band release a song which they know sounds ridiculous. Maybe it's just me, but there's nothing haunting in it. I can't hear it. It's like trying to find haunting elements in a Britney Spears' song. Now, I would really like to be convinced it's actually a deliberate piece of music because I certainly miss something deliberate in the MX era. Otherwise I'll think this post just an attempt to comfort yourself and to excuse another Coldplay's failure.

And by the way, it's Moving to Mars.

and by the way you're sounding very pompous and narrow minded when you say that. And its not just their interpretation, its mine too.

Yes agree with original post. It is an incredibly haunting song, which somehow manages to pack the deepest despair together with shimmering hope in a few sentences. I don´t think though that the Para-Para Paradise is meant to make the word sound cynical, but simply fit the song. The sentence in the end (The sun will set to rise) shows that it´s not a cynical song, but one of hope within deep despair. That´s how I see it anyway, but like any great song, you can fit many an interpretation.

and by the way you're sounding very pompous and narrow minded when you say that. And its not just their interpretation, its mine too.

Perhaps it came out as narrow minded but it wasn't intended as such. Anyway, so what if it's your interpretation too? I was sort of asking him for a possible reply since he started the thread, not you.

Perhaps it came out as narrow minded but it wasn't intended as such. Anyway, so what if it's your interpretation too? I was sort of asking him for a possible reply since he started the thread, not you.

I never intended to pass this off as anything other than my own interpretation. I think I described my original post as "scattershot opinions" so there you go. I also realize that this isn't going to change the minds of people who don't like the song. That would be pretty silly of me. I just thought that the song merits a discussion a bit broader than "this song sucks" or "this song is awesome."

My bad about calling it "Move to Mars." In the song he says "Maybe move ourself to mars" so I forgot about the ing.