✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[24-Nov-2011] Little Noise Sessions St John-at-Hackney, London, UK [Chris and Jonny only]

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote my review...have to warn you it turned out to be a bit too long again. Sorry about that.:embarrassed:

Ok,I’m still exhausted from yesterday but I’ll try to put my review together.

So…it all started on a Thursday morning... Anna,Mich,Jo and I met up in front of the venue at 7 am as we wanted to secure our spot in the front row. The security guards (and a priest who passed a few times) were very surprised seeing us there so early but they were very very nice: gave us chairs, free coke and also got tips where to go to grab lunch :) Time was passing quite quickly in the morning, Ro, Sarah and Kate joined us during the day. By the time we reached afternoon everything seemed to slow down a bit- I guess that’s just because I was getting very tired and cold. The crew arrived at around 2ish if I remember correctly and started to load things from a van and set things up inside the church.

A bit later Miller came out and asked if we were here for the gig-we jokingly said ‘No, we just love this church a lot’ :rolleyes: and he laughed and asked us what time we’d arrived. He was very impressed hearing us say ‘7am’. He asked if he could take a photo of us and post it on twitter which we all said yes to.

During the afternoon some other artists came to set their stuff and also CP crew left when they’ve finished. …not too many things were happening around that time.

Then we were reaching 18.30 which was the time they opened the doors. Another security guard came and had a little chat with us before we went in which made me very relaxed (I’m usually very excited when it’s time to go in). It was a very easy walk in, luckily got into dead centre with the girls. First act, Bebe Black came on at 7.15. She was very nervous but I enjoyed her performance a lot, however, she only played 3 songs. Second act came on before 8ish I think, a guy called Michael Kiwanuka. I saw him on Later with Jools Holland this week so I knew what to expect: very nice guitar music with a great, mellow voice. He was also really good but he didn’t play any up-beat songs which didn’t help me to stay all cheered up at all…After him, Ben Howard came on. Apparently, he had quite a few fans in the house as he was welcomed by a big chant from some people at the back and after the first song I understood why. He’s got a great voice, catchy songs and all in all he seemed very comfortable with being on stage which made his appearance very entertaining. Final support act, Emeli Sande: big voice. She also looked quite nervous but her voice was all over the place, last song (Heaven) sounded pretty amazing inside the church.

After the support acts, CP roadies came on stage to set things up as quickly as possible. We saw Matt,Dan Green etc…poor Hoppy is still using a crutch from when he injured his ankle in Norwich :( Then we finally reached 10pm,Jo Whiley came on stage to announce Coldplay. I could see Chris and a top of a hat next to him…Suddenly I thought it was Will as he’s the one who likes wearing those types of hats but they came on stage and it was Jonny. I have to say, they both looked extremely hot in those outfits :heart: Oh and the cutest part: Chris and Jonny were holding hands when they came on. Soooo adorable. :chris::jonny: :heart:

Chris immediately apologized that the gig was gonna be more enthusiastic than professional (well, I have to admit that turned out to be true…but in a good way) They’d started with Yellow, Chris messed it up around the middle but it was funny. Then came Violet Hill, before that Chris said he was glad to be in a room with friendly faces cause the Graham Norton show apparently didn’t go very well (probably he’s just too hard on himself and all is good). He stroke the first notes, got confused, started laughing and joked about being back in a small venue after all the stadium shows :rolleyes: After that was Clocks which went very well without any mistakes although Chris went a bit mental by the end and was playing it faster and faster :D Next song was Paradise…I prefer this simpler version with only a guitar and a piano than the original one. In the chorus, we had to sing the second Para…it sounded very silly but was pretty entertaining.

After that was Viva la Vida in which unfortunately the tambourine lady felt the urge of making her first appearance :confused: Chris told her to save it for the chorus..

After Viva, Chris asked us what we thought of their outfits which we of course answered with a big scream and while he was taking his vest and tie off and undid some buttons on his shirt, it turned into a big fangirly screaming from us which I think he quite enjoyed and then started joking about how big they would be if they had great bodies…”We’d be insane,maybe even bigger than Busted or McFly…those handsome devils” :D Charlie Brown followed that. I think that was my favourite song from the night, it sounds amazing in every form I guess-but I might be biased :dozey:

Next stop: The Scientist…tambourine lady was about to ruin that too but luckily Chris stopped her which turned into a funny introduction of the song. (Have to mention when she put it down everyone clapped-that’s how grateful we were). At the end of the song Chris sang the following: "People ask me: Chris, what is your favourite type of drum machine...I tell them: Oh tough one but I think I have to say the tambourine" :laugh3:

Then came Every Teardrop… I recommend watching the end of the video when Chris imitates Will’s drum solo by the end…dead funny. And also in the middle of the song, he stopped as Jonny looked at him really annoyed because of the tambourine lady who distracted him big time. Chris asked the lady to play it a more quietly because Jonny was giving him the ‘evil look’. :angry:

After that they went off stage, then they came back, Chris said he messed up the ‘coming back’ so they went off and came back on again :D They played Shiver which I was very happy about as it’s one of my favourite songs – according to the setlist, they were supposed to play the Rihanna cover instead.

And finally Fix you. Such a beautiful song but Tambourine Lady managed to ruin it completely by the end. :veryangry2: She was so distracting-couldn’t find the right rhythm either :inquisitive:

All in all, it was a great night, lots of fun, enjoyed every single bit of it but definitely the weirdest Coldplay gig I’ve ever been to. :smug:

I wrote my review...have to warn you it turned out to be a bit too long again. Sorry about that.:embarrassed:

So…it all started on a Thursday morning... Anna,Mich,Jo and I met up in front of the venue at 7 am as we wanted to secure our spot in the front row. The security guards (and a priest who passed a few times) were very surprised seeing us there so early but they were very very nice: gave us chairs, free coke and also got tips where to go to grab lunch :) Time was passing quite quickly in the morning, Ro, Sarah and Kate joined us during the day. By the time we reached afternoon everything seemed to slow down a bit- I guess that’s just because I was getting very tired and cold. The crew arrived at around 2ish if I remember correctly and started to load things from a van and set things up inside the church.

A bit later Miller came out and asked if we were here for the gig-we jokingly said ‘No, we just love this church a lot’ :rolleyes: and he laughed and asked us what time we’d arrived. He was very impressed hearing us say ‘7am’. He asked if he could take a photo of us and post it on twitter which we all said yes to.

During the afternoon some other artists came to set their stuff and also CP crew left when they’veu finished. …not too many things were happening around that time.

Then we were reaching 18.30 which was the time they opened the doors. Another security guard came and had a little chat with us before we went in which made me very relaxed (I’m usually very excited when it’s time to go in). It was a very easy walk in, luckily got into dead centre with the girls. First act, Bebe Black came on at 7.15. She was very nervous but I enjoyed her performance a lot, however, she only played 3 songs. Second act came on before 8ish I think, a guy called Michael Kiwanuka. I saw him on Later with Jools Holland this week so I knew what to expect: very nice guitar music with a great, mellow voice. He was also really good but he didn’t play any up-beat songs which didn’t help me to stay all cheered up at all…After him, Ben Howard came on. Apparently, he had quite a few fans in the house as he was welcomed by a big chant from some people at the back and after the first song I understood why. He’s got a great voice, catchy songs and all in all he seemed very comfortable with being on stage which made his appearance very entertaining. Final support act, Emeli Sande: big voice. She also looked quite nervous but her voice was all over the place, last song (Heaven) sounded pretty amazing inside the church.

After the support acts, CP roadies came on stage to set things up as quickly as possible. We saw Matt,Dan Green etc…poor Hoppy is still using a crutch from when he injured his ankle in Norwich :( Then we finally reached 10pm,Jo Whiley came on stage to announce Coldplay. I could see Chris and a top of a hat next to him…Suddenly I thought it was Will as he’s the one who likes wearing those types of hats but they came on stage and it was Jonny. I have to say, they both looked extremely hot in those outfits :heart: Oh and the cutest part: Chris and Jonny were holding hands when they came on. Soooo adorable. :chris::jonny: :heart:

Chris immediately apologized that the gig was gonna be more enthusiastic than professional (well, I have to admit that turned out to be true…but in a good way) They’d started with Yellow, Chris messed it up around the middle but it was funny. Then came Violet Hill, before that Chris said he was glad to be in a room with friendly faces cause the Graham Norton show apparently didn’t go very well (probably he’s just too hard on himself and all is good). He stroke the first notes, got confused, started laughing and joked about being back in a small venue after all the stadium shows :rolleyes: After that was Clocks which went very well without any mistakes although Chris went a bit mental by the end and was playing it faster and faster :D Next song was Paradise…I prefer this simpler version with only a guitar and a piano than the original one. In the chorus, we had to sing the second Para…it sounded very silly but was pretty entertaining.

After that was Viva la Vida in which unfortunately the tambourine lady felt the urge of making her first appearance :confused: Chris told her to save it for the chorus..

After Viva, Chris asked us what we thought of their outfits which we of course answered with a big scream and while he was taking his vest and tie off and undid some buttons on his shirt, it turned into a big fangirly screaming from us which I think he quite enjoyed and then started joking about how big they would be if they had great bodies…”We’d be insane,maybe even bigger than Busted or McFly…those handsome devils” :D Charlie Brown followed that. I think that was my favourite song from the night, it sounds amazing in every form I guess-but I might be biased :dozey:

Next stop: The Scientist…tambourine lady was about to ruin that too but luckily Chris stopped her which turned into a funny introduction of the song. (Have to mention when she put it down everyone clapped-that’s how grateful we were). At the end of the song Chris sang the following: "People ask me: Chris, what is your favourite type of drum machine...I tell them: Oh tough one but I think I have to say the tambourine" :laugh3:

Then came Every Teardrop… I recommend watching the end of the video when Chris imitates Will’s drum solo by the end…dead funny. And also in the middle of the song, he stopped as Jonny looked at him really annoyed because of the tambourine lady who distracted him big time. Chris asked the lady to play it a more quietly because Jonny was giving him the ‘evil look’. :angry:

After that they went off stage, then they came back, Chris said he messed up the ‘coming back’ so they went off and came back on again :D They played Shiver which I was very happy about as it’s one of my favourite songs – according to the setlist, they were supposed to play the Rihanna cover instead.

And finally Fix you. Such a beautiful song but Tambourine Lady managed to ruin it completely by the end. :veryangry2: She was so distracting-couldn’t find the right rhythm either :inquisitive:

All in all, it was a great night, lots of fun, enjoyed every single bit of it but definitely the weirdest Coldplay gig I’ve ever been to. :smug:

Great review Laura was lovely to meet up with everyone again and truly was a one of a kind gig. Think it will take me till the next one to recover.

What a wonderful night!!!

Just a shame for the tamburine woman, she has ruined at least three songs!!

I completely lost my voice singing every single song and waiting in the cold for two hours, I don't know how you girls did it since 7am!

These are our pictures, I hope you like them :)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150482987020941.420763.522830940&type=1&l=ab9eb44a31

pictureeees!

547fef34.jpg

bc19e104.jpg

788e86fe.jpg

5240b9aa.jpg

33e2c810.jpg

7aa6e82b.jpg

2b6c4aa2.jpg

511d3236.jpg

eb7ce6ff.jpg

c90934a3.jpg

00d7c5c2.jpg

1750f0fe.jpg

114a9f37.jpg

18c06b37.jpg

832f20ed.jpg

33a3e21d.jpg

547ee38e.jpg

4e4f4491.jpg

f498ab84.jpg

c1f25f59.jpg

f15cbe51.jpg

9698e84b.jpg

What a wonderful night!!!

Just a shame for the tamburine woman, she has ruined at least three songs!!

I completely lost my voice singing every single song and waiting in the cold for two hours, I don't know how you girls did it since 7am!

These are our pictures, I hope you like them :)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150482987020941.420763.522830940&type=1&l=ab9eb44a31

:shocked2: All that handsomeness... :smug:

Great review, thank you Laura! :nice:

I'm sorry, I don't understand why venue (well church, whatever) security didn't do something about that lady. If you don't want to "remove" her, at least take away her tambourine. It was clearly disturbing the musicians, something should have been done about her. I don't get it.

During the afternoon some other artists came to set their stuff and also CP crew left when they’ve finished. …not too many things were happening around that time.

Lovely review, thanks Laura!

I'm sorry, I don't understand why venue (well church, whatever) security didn't do something about that lady. If you don't want to "remove" her, at least take away her tambourine. It was clearly disturbing the musicians, something should have been done about her. I don't get it.

THIS

Great review, thank you Laura! :nice:

Probably because Chris was so nice about it and made it into a bit of a joke. If he'd started to get angry I think they would have.

Laura, you forgot to mention that thing you found out from J that will break hundreds of MX forum goers hearts :P

Wow, amazingly positive review from The Guardian :o

Chris Martin and Jonny Buckland – review

St John-at-Hackney church, London

**** (4 out of 5)

Mencaps-Little-Noise-Sess-007.jpg

During the opening chords of The Scientist, the tinkles from the balcony become too much. Chris Martin stops the song, picks out the woman rattling a tambourine and launches a characteristically good-humoured rant about how "this isn't a tambourine song", how Coldplay have "played it for 10 years without a tambourine on it" and hoping she's not "from the Daily Star and going to fuck me over tomorrow". If this were a Van Morrison gig, someone would be receiving a tambourine suppository by now, but for Martin – though with tongue rammed stoutly in cheek – it's still the mock-meltdown of his career.

Not the usual between-song banter at a charity acoustic gig in a church, then – part of Mencap's Little Noises Sessions – but it adds to the wit, warmth and intimacy of an enchanted evening. The casual Coldplay listener will claim they're the beigest band in Britain. Nonsense. Witness their album-based forays into krautrock and electronica, the ribbon-festooned revolutionary outfits of 2008 and some of the most dazzling stadium and festival sets in living memory. If the beige-sayers were right, a bog-standard, polished acoustic trawl through their big ballads tonight would illuminate their inherent blandness like a sea flare. Instead, a clearly underprepared Martin and Buckland conduct an open rehearsal on electric guitar and piano, full of bum chords and knockabout charm.

Crucially, the pair don't handle their songs like delicate relics but toss them about like stickle bricks, stopping to remember key changes, perform random beatboxing or get the boisterous crowd to sing backing vocals.

Clocks gradually accelerates towards a key-smashing climax. What Yellow loses in bluster it makes up for in mournful import. If Viva la Vida and Violet Hill lack their usual tub-thumping dynamics, instead they're brim full of melodic enchantment and singalong pomp. And both The Scientist and Fix You, stripped bare and full of heart, give the walls goosebumps.

"This whole concert's gone to shit," Martin chuckles to Buckland as Every Teardrop is a Waterfall breaks down amid more distraction from their tin-tapping nemesis. More nonsense; it's been like watching the magic happen.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/nov/25/chris-martin-jonny-buckland-review?newsfeed=true

I've been thinking guys, do you remember sitting on that walkway? when ALL that food, drink, etc stuff was taken into the church.. seemingly FAR FAR too much for a small church.. do you think they DID afterall have the after show party at the Church, just as the security guy said to us? It would explain a lot wouldn't it? Maybe they have a big room somewhere?