✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[24-Nov-2011] Little Noise Sessions St John-at-Hackney, London, UK [Chris and Jonny only]

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Martin & Jonny Buckland, St John-at-Hackney - review

Chris Martin & Jonny Buckland, St John-at-Hackney - review

"This," chuckled Chris Martin at the start of the major coup of Mencap's Little Noise Sessions 2011, "is going to be more enthusiastic than professional". He wasn't wrong.

For one night only, the Coldplay machine was replaced by an intimate, chaotic, endearingly ramshackle affair featuring just Martin and guitarist Jonny Buckland, underneath a Hackney church's stained glass windows and even more stained ceiling.

Unquestionably, the under-rehearsed pair missed the engine room provided by their missing drummer and bassist. As if desperate for a beat, Martin initially welcomed the audience member who had brought her tambourine but both men were distracted by the rattling, and Martin halted Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall to beg her to desist.

Still, Martin remained cheery, dismissing Coldplay as "the shit Radiohead"; musing on how successful arguably the world's most popular band would be "if we had great bodies" and stopping Paradise mid-song to orchestrate the crowd's backing vocals. Buckland's adventurous guitar work was often lost but The Scientist was given a broody makeover; Martin's stentorian piano added a new layer of fascination to Violet Hill and Fix You's combination of comfort and uplift made the flintiest hearts crumble. Even at half-strength, Coldplay still move mountains.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/review-24014117-chris-martin-and-jonny-buckland-st-john-at-hackney---review.do

Hey folks,

Here are a few of my shots from last night's show: Chris Martin & Jonny Buckland - Little Noise 2011 @ St John-at-Hackney

Loads more to come when I get time to process them, so watch this space!

Cheers,

SFK

Thank you Kate! :D Lovely lovely photos..

Here are a couple of mine.. nowhere NEAR as good as yours though.

7a7799da.jpg

e2365019.jpg

This was a special moment. Shiver, right in front of us.. perfect..:D

According to the setlist I got it was supposed to be 'We Found Love' instead of Shiver. When Kara spoke to Jonny later on she thanked him for playing it and he replied "oh that's okay, did you ask Chris for it?" so I think Chris changed it at the last minute without even letting him know about it :lol:

According to the setlist I got it was supposed to be 'We Found Love' instead of Shiver. When Kara spoke to Jonny later on she thanked him for playing it and he replied "oh that's okay, did you ask Chris for it?" so I think Chris changed it at the last minute without even letting him know about it :lol:

Any chance you could post the setlist? Or add it to setlist.fm? Would be much appreciated :)

SFK

Yep. Was gonna include it my review but too tired to do it right now, will do it in a few hours so for now:

Yellow

Violet Hill

Clocks

Paradise

Viva La Vida

Charlie Brown

The Scientist

Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall

Shiver

Fix You

Picture (We Found Love was replaced by Shiver)

setlistg.jpg

Mencap Little Noise Sessions: Chris Martin and Jonny Buckland; Emili Sande; Ben Howard, St John at Hackney Church

For Coldplay fans, this was a rare opportunity. To see one of the biggest bands on the planet (well, half of them), in the tiny surrounds of a church. For fans of the band this is about as good as it gets.

Which makes one wonder then, what made one woman up on the balcony think that it was a good idea to bring a tambourine? Even in the O2 - where Coldplay play two dates next month - it would be rude. But here, where the acts are playing stripped down sets in aid of Mencap, it's an absolute menace.

Chris Martin, to his credit, let's her get away with it during "Viva La Vida", where the audiences' "whoa-oh-oh-ahs" make up most of the noise. But when she starts tapping it during the opening chords of "The Scientist", he's forced to stop and ask her - very politely - to stop - "We've been playing it for ten years without a tambourine. I promise on the next song it's a tambourine frenzy," he laughs. It's a bizarre few minutes - but Martin does his best to soften the embrassment by ad-libbing a coda that pays tribute to the instrument.

The rest of the set 10-song set, played just on neon-splattered piano and guitar, is charmingly shambolic for a band of Coldplay's stadium pedigree. Without a rhythm section, Buckland and Martin contrive to muck up "Yellow", a song that they must have played at every gig they've ever played. There are a few stop-start moments elsewhere (Martin gets the key for the chorus to "Clocks" wrong), but it gives a feeling of uniqueness to the show that their festival and arena sets don't offer.

You can't say the same for the rest of the bill; Devonian folky Ben Howard is pleasant but has the presence of park bench; while Emili Sandé - fresh from a number one single with Professor Green simply screams "fourth place in The X Factor". Even the vicar looks bored.

There's a lot to like and dislike about Coldplay, but dressed in all-black, Martin is still pleasingly humble, he even refers to his own band as "the shit Radiohead" at one point. Having your gig sabotaged by a rogue percussionist probably helps keep one's ego in check. But this is a sweet evening though, at no point more than when Martin shuffles his mic stand over next to Buckland's so the two can play "Shiver" from 2000's Parachutes. All it needed was a bit of tambourine...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/mencap-little-noise-sessions-chris-martin-and-jonny-buckland-emili-sande-ben-howard-st-john-at-hackney-church-6267858.html

It's what he said before Violet Hill right? Now I want to watch that show even more, silly Chris. ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMKfOb5Apw4]chris martin and johnny buckland - violet hill - live at little noise sessions 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

I've seen this one and Yellow so far, they're both beautiful. :dazzled:

^The 9th. But I did a twitter search for Coldplay and GN and everyone in the audience had nothing but good things to say so whatever happened it can't have been that bad. Thank God.

That's a relief, I think he's just way too hard on himself :rolleyes:

Yep. Was gonna include it my review but too tired to do it right now, will do it in a few hours so for now:

Yellow

Violet Hill

Clocks

Paradise

Viva La Vida

Charlie Brown

The Scientist

Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall

Shiver

Fix You

Picture (We Found Love was replaced by Shiver)

setlistg.jpg

Aww, I'm so glad they played Shiver because it's my favorite, but I do LOOOOVE their cover of We Found Love as well...

^The 9th. But I did a twitter search for Coldplay and GN and everyone in the audience had nothing but good things to say so whatever happened it can't have been that bad. Thank God.

Ahh Chris. :lol: Well anyways thanks, I'll check for it on the 9th :)