✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[29-May-2012] Coldplay @ Ricoh Arena, Coventry, UK

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Contains spoilers!

Wow! That was so, SO good! I saw the show at the o2 in December which was great, but this was so much better. Being outdoors clearly gives the stage guys so much more scope for the lights, pyrotechnics etc. There are fireworks aplenty, oceans of confetti, lasers and lights, but moreover, the boys are on top of their game. They gave their all tonight and were rewarded by a vocal and appreciative crowd at the Ricoh - very much sing-a-long-tastic, especially compared to the slightly disappointing o2 crowd last year.

Highlights for me: stripped back versions of Warning Sign (sublime) and Speed of Sound. Paradise is always a treat live; Charlie Brown ("took me to Cov-en-try"!) and Hurts Like Heaven is much better and rockier than its studio version.

Lowlight - group of sixteen year old kids getting drunk/stupid and ruining the show for those around them. Shame that some people's nights were spoiled by the selfish actions of these muppets. Fortunately they were slightly to my side so didn't spoil my fun.

I hope those of you going to Emirates, SoL and Etihad get as good as show as we lucky lot did. Weather was fantastic too, which helps with outdoor gigs.

Special mention to Rita Ora and Robyn who did good stints in support.

I'll add my photos and video hopefully tomorrow night.

Wow! That was so, SO good! I saw the show at the o2 in December which was great, but this was so much better. Being outdoors clearly gives the stage guys so much more scope for the lights, pyrotechnics etc. There are fireworks aplenty, oceans of confetti, lasers and lights, but moreover, the boys are on top of their game. They gave their all tonight and were rewarded by a vocal and appreciative crowd at the Ricoh - very much sing-a-long-tastic, especially compared to the slightly disappointing o2 crowd last year.

Highlights for me: stripped back versions of Warning Sign (sublime) and Speed of Sound. Paradise is always a treat live; Charlie Brown ("took me to Cov-en-try"!) and Hurts Like Heaven is much better and rockier than its studio version.

Lowlight - group of sixteen year old kids getting drunk/stupid and ruining the show for those around them. Shame that some people's nights were spoiled by the selfish actions of these muppets. Fortunately they were slightly to my side so didn't spoil my fun.

I hope those of you going to Emirates, SoL and Etihad get as good as show as we lucky lot did. Weather was fantastic too, which helps with outdoor gigs.

About what time was it til the xylobands took full effect?

Xylobands start with MX intro and stay on for Hurts Like Heaven. They then reappear for the big songs from Mylo Xyloto (Paradise/Charlie Brown/ETIAW, maybe DLIBYH but I can't recall) and also a cameo in Clocks and maybe a few other up tempo numbers through the set.

Looked fantastic as the night went on.

Loved that. Not sure if I prefered it to Manchester in December just yet. True the xylobands didn't take effect until returning in Charlie Brown.

That was the best In My Place I've seen, so much confetti. Great lyric changes throughout GPASUYF. Didn't warm to Princess of China unfortunately. But it was a carnival feel in the place. That's all I can ask for. And I'm incredibly tired from seeing them once again, so that's a good sign (I believe Charlie Brown live is the only workout I need though)

At the start they're pretty pointless as it's still light

Indeed. In all honesty, when the outdoor gigs were first announced, I doubted they'd even use the bands due to them not working well in daylight.

True, stadium concerts in May/June don't work. I watched Muse live on 19th june, longest day of the year. In the encore it began getting dark...

September is way better indeed.

Are you seriously suggesting that they only stage outdoor concerts a few months a year? That will work out great.:rolleyes:

Holy SHIT you're fast,lol!! There are actually 8 of you on 8 computers, right? :lol:;)

Something like that :)

LOL! yes Tash is really a superhero, and her hero ability is to split herself into 8! LOL! :D thanks for the wonderful photos.. I always look forward to coming into the live threads the following day to find all the lovely pics.. :D

Thank you for your review. Going Saturday, so hope it's just as good! :D

Coldplay, Coventry Ricoh Stadium, review

Neil McCormick reviews the opening night of British rock band Coldplay's 2012 stadium tour.

star_5_styleSix.png

coldplay_2233860b.jpg

Chris Martin of Coldplay

When Coldplay first graduated to stadiums in 2005, I thought they were too drab to command the space. They had big songs but little charisma, four earnest men dressed in black in front of a black back drop. No one could accuse them of being colourless anymore. Quite the opposite, in fact, they may be the most colourful band on the planet, with a palette that could make a children's TV set designer queasy.

They storm onto a graffiti splashed set in hand crafted outfits wielding paint spattered instruments and turn the stadium into a sea of day glo light with flashing wristbands, giant red, green and blue balloons, fireworks, glitter, ticker tape, and every laser this side of Star Wars.

You can't even accuse the old bedwetters of trying too hard to make up for a lack of charisma, They throw everything at their audience, including themselves. This is the kind of stirring, sweaty, heartfelt, energetic, emotional and uplifting show that could give stadium entertainment a good name.

Coldplay have been around for over ten years now, and they have a catalogue of hit songs to match any of their stadium rocking predecessors. The crowd is singing lustily along by the second song, In My Place. Five songs in, they threaten to drown out Chris Martin on The Scientist. "We haven't even got to the good songs yet," he jokes. "We're just getting started."

Yellow opens surprisingly as a tender piano ballad then explodes into a screaming, stomping guitar anthem. The "Oh-way-ohs" that bounce around the stands at the end of Viva La Vida are fantastic, reminding you of the communal essence of great musical spectacle. When it comes to a big singalong, Coldplay are hard to beat.

The appearance of Rihanna on big screens singing her chorus from Princess Of China is a reminder of how easily Coldplay fit into the modern urban pop landscape. Although they have the drama, intensity and epic dimensions of rock music, their melodic instincts are pitched squarely at the pop mainstream. No shame in that. They may be the most poppy rock group since The Beatles.

They have earned their status as biggest band on the planet with massive singalong tunes. But they have grown into the role too, really using every inch of the stadium space, filling it with their personality as well as their songs, overloading the senses with every technological and showbiz trick in the book. The explosion of light and music on Charlie Brown is just amazing, maybe the most spectacular musical momemt I have ever witnessed. Coldplay have become one of those rare groups for whom bigger really does mean better.

Wow this thread is dead, compared to Twitter where there's lots of talking about how good it was. :(

The Telegraph wrote a 5 star review. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/live-music-reviews/9297766/Coldplay-Coventry-Ricoh-Stadium-review.html

Guess there weren't many Coldplayers there then!

For me it was an incredible spectacle of sound and vision. I've been to some amazing concerts in my time - U2, Foo Fighters, Oasis, Kasabian (they may not be the greatest band but they are superb live) - but this one tops them all. I've never been to a Coldplay gig before and I loved every single second of it. I was a little saddened by the fact they didn't change the setlist - I'd have given my left arm to hear a stomping rendition of Politik - but they pulled out all the classics and MX's best moments as well.

GPASUYF was definitely the highlight. ETIAW is a great closer as well.