✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[1-Jun-2012] Coldplay @ Emirates Stadium, London, UK

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there on Friday, amazing performance as always, but having seen them 16 times now the whole confetti and bouncy balls thing really is wearing a bit thin. For me the best bits are still when it's just the four guys standing around playing tunes (Warning Sign was sublime :D ) and I crave a return to what i saw in the early performances. Glow bands create an awesome spectacle but they should just remain a feature of this tour, I think otherwise in future we are all in danger of OD'ing on Lasers, Confetti, beach balls, fireworks and inflatables!!

Had a really good time at this one, stuff the rain :p

When we got in and noticed that there was no one standing by the second stage, well of course we had to oblige, and got ourselves on that barrier right in front of them. Closest we've been to them in a gig for years! Got a few pictures here if anyone wants to have a look.

Had a really good time at this one, stuff the rain :p

When we got in and noticed that there was no one standing by the second stage, well of course we had to oblige, and got ourselves on that barrier right in front of them. Closest we've been to them in a gig for years! Got a few pictures here if anyone wants to have a look.

Great photos! I think I must have been standing right behind you when they came to this stage, my videos have exactly the same viewpoint! :D I'd never watched them at this stage before, it was really good and amazingly close!!

(although I'll admit I did miss being as close for the rest of the show a little bit, haha :P )

Great photos! I think I must have been standing right behind you when they came to this stage, my videos have exactly the same viewpoint! :D I'd never watched them at this stage before, it was really good and amazingly close!!

(although I'll admit I did miss being as close for the rest of the show a little bit, haha :P )

Ha thanks :) We hadn't planned it, but we couldn't believe no one was there. We were going to go for seats on the side and get a bit of an overview of the pitch but couldn't pass up the opportunity to be right in front of them, especially as we'd been behind them at Coventry and I just had pictures of the back of everyone's heads. And I think you're closer there than you would be at the front. I agree - I do miss being at the front, but I don't think my knees would cope with it anymore.

It was 5th July 2005 when this writer last saw Coldplay. The group had just released X&Y, their plodding third album and had newly graduated to a stadium act off the back of its phenomenal success. They were supported by sound-alikes Morning Runner and Doves, and the two screens either side of the stage spent the afternoon blaring out messages and videos from Oxfam. The four men all wore black, stayed almost rooted to the spot and played infront of a black screen. The climax of the show featured Chris Martin swinging a lightbulb around his head during the closing moments of ‘Fix You’. It was all incredibly, joy-sappingly earnest. You need only look at the stage at The Emirates Stadium to see that the 2012 Coldplay are a somewhat different proposition. Rejuvinated and freed by the additions to the colour palette that 2008’s Viva La Vida bought them, last year’s Mylo Xyloto was a neon-drenched, technicoloured pop beast that means that Coldplay now choose to play surrounded by four giant circular screens, confetti canons, huge glow in the dark butterflies, hundreds of yards of graffiti-strewn fabric and a pier-like stage that sprawls out into the sea of bodies. By now the four-piece, playing a hometown show here in London, are stadium professionals and understand the formula, namely doing everything in their power to distract you from the music, safe in the knowledge that the songs they are playing are some of the most popular in the world. By ‘In My Place’, only the second song of the evening, it’s clear that this crowd are in fine voice, with Chris Martin playing the encouraging showman at all times, throwing his yoga-honed body around the vast stage. Each song sounds beefier, rawer and grander that their recorded partners. ‘Violet Hill’, with its shotgun snare drum, is turned into a psychedelic rock strut, ‘God Put a Smile Upon Your Face’ is completely transformed into a hi-energy guitar freakout and ‘Yellow’, after its softly-softly reworked beginning booms over the horizon with pure bombast. ‘We’ve not even played any of the good songs yet’ jokes Martin in typical self-deprecation mode as he thanks the crowd for their hysteria. While the now obligatory mini sets on the mini stages – one at the end of their stage pier, one right at the back of the stadium – gives the chance for the group to showcase their softer side as ‘Warning Sign’ and ‘Speed of Sound’ are given stripped down renditions before the group sprint back to the main stage to begin a run of songs that makes up the backbone of the set: Viva La Vida, Charlie Brown –before which the audience wrist bands light up spectacularly to create a sea of light – and Paradise. They are solid gold in their sing-alongs. As the Viva La Vida chant continues long after the band leave the stage, carrying on while people file out of the stadium, its safe to say that the biggest band in the world have delivered a show that is truly worthy of the title. Who knew that colour would suit Coldplay so much? [thanks When the Gramophone Rings] http://whenthegramophonerings.com/2012/06/04/live-review-coldplay/

Coldplay-Emirates-1024x614.jpg

Coldplay-Emirates-3-1024x613.jpg

Coldplay-Emirates-2-1024x615.jpg

The Upcoming: Imagine over 60,000 multi-coloured lights flashing all together in a single space. Add to the equation 60,000 equally multi-faceted voices singing along to worldwide hits. Multiply all this by 90 minutes and you get what Coldplay offer on top of the average rock show.

The only British band to be equally successful in Europe and the United States, Coldplay are promoting their latest release Mylo Xyloto in stadiums across the globe.

The scenography is all based on their graffiti theme, with five huge circular digital screens (hello Olympics?). Special wristbands were given on entry, with the displays telling us to wear them because they were actually part of the show.

The first night of three at the Emirates stadium in London began with the Back to the Future Theme followed by a huge fireworks spectacle as Chris Martin, Jonny Buckland, Guy Berryman and Will Champion entered the stage and started playing Hurts Like Heaven. All the wristbands suddenly started flashing in rhythm with the music: wow.

The audience was already warmed up thanks to the brilliant opening performances of Ash and Marina and the Diamonds. However, next on the list was In My Place which made every single person stand up once and for all.

New songs from Mylo Xyloto prevailed (ten), mixed with five from A Rush of Blood to the Head, three from Viva la Vida, two from X&Y and only one from their debut Parachutes. But it was that single song, Yellow, that took the concert to a higher level – and it did not stop there.

The show was cleverly planned and well-balanced: a ballad followed every three uptempo songs, part of the setlist was played on an X-shaped stage in the middle of the crowd, and closer to the end a little stage at the very back of the stadium hosted the performance of two songs (Us Against the World and Speed of Sound).

The highlight of the concert took place as the darkness fell: that was when Viva la Vida and Charlie Brown were played. Their 2008 number one hit was extraordinary in terms of response and sense of belonging (like a world cup final where everyone supports the same team) but Charlie Brown was simply a visually spectacular massive party.

It was a never-ending sequence of top-charting songs: Paradise (that ohhh-ohhhh still echoes in my head), Clocks, Fix You, and the grand finale of their feel-good Every Teardrop is a Waterfall.

Chris Martin was certainly born to be a performer, running and jumping across the whole stage from the beginning to the very last moment. A talented singer, he regularly found rest as he turned to his piano.

Some people may think Coldplay as a rock band are a little too poppy, but the show they put on clearly proves them wrong. [7]

the scientist

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPwmsjthHuo]YouTube Coldplay-the scientist[/ame]

warning sign

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8wqHKf6dpo]YouTube Coldplay Warning sign[/ame]

Ha thanks :) We hadn't planned it, but we couldn't believe no one was there. We were going to go for seats on the side and get a bit of an overview of the pitch but couldn't pass up the opportunity to be right in front of them, especially as we'd been behind them at Coventry and I just had pictures of the back of everyone's heads. And I think you're closer there than you would be at the front. I agree - I do miss being at the front, but I don't think my knees would cope with it anymore.

Yeah I was kind of the same! I saw the C stage early on had some sort of spaces, but was lazy and sat in the seats for a while :P when I met my friends who'd volunteered for Oxfam, we just stood so we'd get second row for the C stage. It was fantastic to see the band so close, even if only for the two songs. I also quite enjoyed the space to dance around to the songs at the back for once, it was like a party atmosphere almost :cool:

Sanet ‏@Sanetsays

#coldplayfilm during song Paradise the man in front of us just proposed to his girlfriend! So sweet.

it was me !! :D unless there was another proposal during this song...

well i didn't plan to propose at the concert(had the ring just in case :) ) but it was such a religious experience that i couldn't help it

the sequence of viva la vida and the charlie brown with the xylobands at the dark was epic

then came paradise and i knew that was the moment

it wan an amazing night regardless to the proposal

thanks Coldplay and to the amazing crowd that was also a part, because the sing along was incredible through the all night