✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[9-Jun-2012] Coldplay @ Etihad Stadium, Manchester, UK

Second time seeing Coldplay yesterday (the other being at the MEN last December) and thought they were brilliant! Especially loved HLH and Speed of Sound. Was abit concerned they'd be tired from the Wembley show, but these fears were put to rest. They performed so well, but at the end of it I felt slightly disappointed. Got there and they'd run out of wristbands, and being with 50,000 people overwhelmed me quite alot (I've never been in a stadium before). We got there around quarter to 8 (I wanted to leave MUCH earlier but my friend said there was no point, so angry with him), so our place in standing wasn't great. We were quite near the front at the MEN so I should've known it wouldn't have been the same. The fact there was no roof and it's good and bad points, the fireworks and lasers looked great and were really spectacular, but the wristbands just looked rather futile.

At the end of it, I thought the band were at the top of their game, thoroughly enjoyed their performances and energy, but the fact they'd run out of wristbands was nonetheless unfortunate (not to mention there were still hundreds, if not thousands, of people still left to go in through GA).

If I were to give it a score out of 10 I'd probably give a 7, which is painful for me to say, as their MEN show was for me one of the best nights of my life. Really upset that I feel this way, but I've got to emphasize all my "quibbles" had nothing to do with how the band performed (they were AMAZING), my expectations were way too high.

What an emotional first post haha

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my first time at a Coldplay concert and my experience was mixed..........I thought the band put on a great show and we loved the wristbands, fireworks, balloons etc as well as the actual songs being performed. BUT I felt kind of uneasy in the stadium...me and my friend were relatively at the back on the pitch as she doesn't like to feel hemmed in and there was space around us there. But as such, we felt a little removed from the action and people were busy milling past and talking and generally being a distraction from the show. Also, 2 fights kicked off near to us between some young chavvy lads which put a slight dampner on things as there were a LOT of people off their faces on drink and drugs there acting like idiots! I wonder whether some people there were actually fans or just out for the hell of it. Maybe we just picked the wrong spot!!! We left just after 11pm and it took 2 solid hours to reach the M602 - chronic traffic possibly not helped by the fact Westlife were on at the MEN last night. I'd love to see Coldplay again but would prefer to be seated rather than standing.

Another fantastic show. We were sat next to the stage had great view and lovely people around us apart from four people who came late very drunk and were up down all night to the bar. Just glad they were not on same row as they had to be evicted by security men towards the end.

Anyway that did not spoil my night. Just gutted I am not going tonight.

These are my pictures enjoy :smug:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151019625712534.489658.566007533&type=3&l=88ef875cb9#!/media/set/?set=a.3334950936990.2127202.1365074474&type=1

This was my first time at a Coldplay concert and my experience was mixed..........I thought the band put on a great show and we loved the wristbands, fireworks, balloons etc as well as the actual songs being performed. BUT I felt kind of uneasy in the stadium...me and my friend were relatively at the back on the pitch as she doesn't like to feel hemmed in and there was space around us there. But as such, we felt a little removed from the action and people were busy milling past and talking and generally being a distraction from the show. Also, 2 fights kicked off near to us between some young chavvy lads which put a slight dampner on things as there were a LOT of people off their faces on drink and drugs there acting like idiots! I wonder whether some people there were actually fans or just out for the hell of it. Maybe we just picked the wrong spot!!! We left just after 11pm and it took 2 solid hours to reach the M602 - chronic traffic possibly not helped by the fact Westlife were on at the MEN last night. I'd love to see Coldplay again but would prefer to be seated rather than standing.

Completely agree! I feel generally unsettled with large crowds too, and dealt with some unpleasant people such as a man who said he'd block my view if I didn't move, just because his tiny wife had gone to the toilet and I'd slotted in and he kept staring me down. I decided if I were to see them in a stadium again I'd probably sit, the hassle wasn't worth it. But I wouldn't be put off seeing them again in the MEN, infact I'd highly recommend it. It's darker and louder haha. Plus security at the MEN are absolutely top notch, if anyone was too drunk they'd be immediately removed, watched it happen, looked like a violent takedown! But I agree, I feel security and organization was poor at best.

We left just after 11pm and it took 2 solid hours to reach the M602 - chronic traffic possibly not helped by the fact Westlife were on at the MEN last night. I'd love to see Coldplay again but would prefer to be seated rather than standing.

Ah, I wondered what else was going on in Manchester last night - I've never experienced traffic that bad before.

Another reason to hate Westlife :veryangry2: :P

what an incredible concert last night, they certainly know how to put on a show, highlights were definitely; Fix You, Charlie Brown, and Yellow, but Every teardrop is a Waterfall was amazing too.

Anyway heres my video from last nights concert, the sound quality may vary and be a bit rubbish but I had a go anyway :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150822259536685

Sorry some of you had bad experiences with the crowd. My first Coldplay show was at the arena in Newcastle (forget the name - Telewest???) Three people behind be were drunk as skunks and I sat through the support act convinced one of them was going to throw up on me!

Fortunately for me, they were so drunk they decided in the break that they could light up spliffs and get away with it. Security pounced on them and removed them on the spot.

How such a nice band attract such idiots is mind-boggling at times...

Here are my photos from the gig last night - I hope you like them!

7358585390_f0201149d6_z.jpg

Robyn by PGMorris, on Flickr

7358593654_4d5f98e49d_z.jpg

Hurts Like Heaven by PGMorris, on Flickr

7173394119_62e64dc95f_z.jpg

Hurts Like Heaven by PGMorris, on Flickr

7173382807_93580516b7_z.jpg

In My Place by PGMorris, on Flickr

7358628504_3587cc0dd6_z.jpg

In My Place by PGMorris, on Flickr

7173407029_25fd266e7f_z.jpg

Untitled by PGMorris, on Flickr

7173414215_cff58f4893_z.jpg

7173420047_03367f13d4_z.jpg

7173424719_72d7cd022c_z.jpg

God Put a Smile Upon Your Face by PGMorris, on Flickr

7358662348_193a9b4385_z.jpg

7358666544_6cecbafab2_z.jpg

Up In Flames by PGMorris, on Flickr

7358671724_f34214aa82_z.jpg

7173452561_51da715fc4_z.jpg

Viva La Vida by PGMorris, on Flickr

7173458167_b9e2b62db6_z.jpg

Paradise by PGMorris, on Flickr

7358690356_b5702e553f_z.jpg

7173467937_88e824f725_z.jpg

7358701216_14c091d7c7_z.jpg

7358709798_715d36237a_z.jpg

Fireworks by PGMorris, on Flickr

7173349681_c5c587d546_z.jpg

Fireworks by PGMorris, on Flickr

These are really great! THanks for sharing. :D

Gig review: Coldplay @ Manchester City's Etihad Stadium – June 9

coldplay%20etihad%20stadium.jpg

Coldplay raised the bar and raised the roof at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday night.

In a stunning assault on the senses, the world-famous foursome did not disappoint with a performance which will live long in the memory of those lucky enough to witness it.

The tone was set from the moment spectators entered the stadium with each privileged punter given an official Mylo Xyloto wristband, the purpose of which was spectacularly revealed during the show.

Each wristband, worn by the 55,000 crowd, lit up automatically on Chris Martin’s command bathing the arena in an early-evening neon glow.

The band entered to a breathtaking display of fireworks and set the benchmark belting out a pitch-perfect version of Mylo’s opening track Hurts Like Heaven.

They followed with the ‘Rush of Blood To The Head’ favourite In My Place before moving the crowd to a standstill with an emotional rendition of The Scientist.

coldplay%201.jpg

Lead-singer Martin brought his own manic style to the show and revelled in having the amazed audience in the palm of his hand throughout.

His unique showmanship was encapsulated when he launched his guitar 20ft into the air after a particularly energetic version of 'God Put A Smile On My Face'.

The early evening descended into night and the true impact and the scope of the fluorescence could be fully appreciated.

Confetti cannons and luminous beach balls scattered the night sky as the band entertained the captivated the audience with hit after hit.

coldplay%202.jpg

Crowd favourite 'Viva La Vida' was a definitive highlight while the new collaboration with pop megastar Rihanna, Princess of China, showed fans what lies ahead in the charts.

To rapturous applause the spectacular stage show closed with a deafening chorus of 'Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall' accompanied by yet more fireworks and laser dramatics.

As the foursome bowed to the crowd the captivated audience were left wondering if such a show could ever be topped – perhaps only when Martin and Co return.

coldplay%204.jpg

link

Just uploading pics, so I'll write a quickish review. Apologies as my memory is a bit hazy, for various reasons I only got 2 hours sleep between the 2 shows and so last night's is fresher in my head.

We left Sam with my Mum and got the tram into town. It was overcast and cloudy but no rain. As we got to the Stadium the heavens opened and we huddled under our brolly for a bit.

The GA tickets could go in at any GA entrance in the Stadium so we had a wander round outside first. When it started raining for the second time we'd just reached the outdoor bars, so went in there for a drink and to huddle under the little bit of shelter.

When we saw the lines start moving at 5pm, we went and joined the back of one. Took a little while to make our way through and then we were in.

We'd picked Guy's side, not that we knew that from outside. We found aisle seats about 2/3 of the way up the lower tier. We then spent the next 2 hours putting the brolly up and down. Manchester was doing it's best showers just in case anyone got the wrong idea and thought it's reputation for rain was unjustified!

It was cold too :( Even with the onboard central heating and 4 layers, I was cold. So ended up drinking decaf coffee and watery hot chocolate in a bid to keep warm. On the plus side, the Giant Chocolate Buttons were cheaper than they are in the Co-Op.

Our seats weren't bad. We were level with the side ramps, and could see backstage quite well. I love watching the Roadies and the comings & goings whilst waiting for the band to come on. The pyrotechnic guy made me laugh on Saturday. City's security obviously didn't know what was coming and had let people stand too far along the barriers. He came out to speak to one of them and then the supervisor came out and they had a long chat. The pyro guy was quite animated but the supervisor obviously didn't take on board what he was saying. About 20 mins later, the pyro guy came back saw the crowd had hardly moved and looked to be kicking off! When he came back again, he was obviously pleased with the result as he gave security a big thumbs up.

99 Problems eventually arrived. I don't remember that song being that long, it seemed to go on for ever! Back to the Future kicked in and we were off!

Back in a sec....

Loving the fireworks! there were loads :) MX is still a great intro as it builds into HLH. When I'm listening in the car it gives me that feeling of joyful anticipation and live it's just 100 times more powerful.

I don't know why but when I'm at the show, I can never remember the setlist, so every song was "oooh, what's next?". I thought I'd miss Politik but didn't notice it's absence at all.

Not sure what it was, but the Xylobands seemed a lot brighter than they did at the Arena in December. Ian got a duff one this time around. My red one worked fine :)

Where we were sat, Guy came down the ramp once that I saw, Chris came down that way a few times. The last time he was on our ramp, I nearly didn't see him, he was hidden in the clouds of smoke from the ETIAW fireworks.

The crowd were really great. The block we were on were up & dancing from 99 problems. The singalongs were really loud.

Getting home was a bit manic. 30 min walk from the stadium to town. Then we struggled to get on a tram. I still can't believe that nobody at Metrolink/GMPTE envisaged the chaos and thought to lay extra late night public transport on. What with Coldplay, Westlife, and the ParkLife festival traffic and the usual saturday night revellers it was packed. Eventually got home about 1am.