✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[9-Jun-2012] Coldplay @ Etihad Stadium, Manchester, UK

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2012-06-0910ColdplayEtihad143.jpg

hey, Isn't that thing too big for a stadium? how can people behind it see the stage? or are there any people behing that thing :confused:

it's a side view. no-one behind it.

although there were large butterflies at the back of the crowd which I imagine must have blocked some people's view

Was hoping to have been back in this thread a few days ago after the concert to post about it, but I've only just around to getting back on Coldplaying tonight and I only just got all my videos uploaded to YouTube earlier tonight/yesterday too!

But yeah, this concert was very very easily the most incredible night of my entire life!! it was my 13th concert overall out of everyone I've seen, and was the best by far really, which also makes 13 no longer an unlucky number for me :p also have to say that anyone else who I ever go to see live, won't ever be able to even come anywhere near close to being this incredible!!

Here's my playlist of all my videos from the concert anyway, of which I was stood right infront of the X-Stage at the barriers and fairly front facing the main stage itself! I do wish I could've been centre of the end of the X-stage, so that I'fd have a perfect view right down the middle of that and of the main stage itself, but I can't really complain about the amazing view I got from where I was stood :) and you can see for yourself too!

Fairly proud with the quality of my videos from a concert for once :D as I'm normally used to hearing ones that are overall not that great or okay at a push, depending on how much sound interference happened during various videos! if you compare these videos to my ones from the Glasgow SECC concert on 3rd December 2011, which were recorded using my iPod Touch 4th Gen, you'll see what I mean about the sound on some of those vids :|

EDIT: Just went back about 5-6 pages to see all the great/brilliant pictures from the concert :o and read some of the stories about different concert experiences too :) will hopefully get around to posting my own one soon, along with some of my 'best' pictures from the night too! but by best I mean, the ones that aren't blurry or are but not too bad :p it helped a lot that my new camera had Dual IS, which actually gave me some good pictures that may have been just a big blur without it D: BlurPlay anyone? hahaha!

Whilst you were all off enjoying the summer party, I was lucky enough to watch a band called Coldplay set a stadium alight in Manchester. With the Jubilee weekend and the lovely weather passing before the end of exams, it seemed that most of the entertainment for the summer had died away until the Olympics begin next month. Instead a post-exams trip to Manchester provided one of the events of the summer, and the perfect post-exams celebration.

The day didn’t begin in the most positive of manners, the moment we stepped off the bus we were greeted by a freezing blast of rain. After sheltering from this, there was a lengthy queue to get into the stadium. Once this obstacle was passed though, we were on the pitch and were suddenly able to set up camp barely ten feet away from the end of the catwalk that went out into the audience. Satisfied with our work we waited for support act Rita Ora, however she didn’t emerge; amidst confusion young pop singer Charli XCX came out and impressed everyone with music that sounded like Rihanna with backing music from the Pet Shop Boys. Once people realised this wasn’t Rita Ora, they seemed to enjoy it even if we hadn’t appreciated the two and a half hour wait to simply get a singer onstage. I did remark how difficult would it have been for Netherlands Vs Denmark to be put on the screen, because it’s fair to say that for this time the crowd was very bored and chilly.

However, musically up until this point all had been OK, if not spectacular. This pattern continued as Robyn came on and played a reasonable enough rendition of her songs. However Robyn appeared to be a little intoxicated, as she almost fell over three times. Thankfully, this didn’t affect her too much and she even made the brave move of covering Coldplay’s ‘Every Teardrop is a Waterfall’ in a set; it was an audacious move for a support act which she just about successfully pulled off.

Then after a torturous half an hour of waiting, when the excitement had reached fever pitch Jay-z’s ’99 Problems’ blazed out and the audience were told to put on the wristbands they were given upon entry. Coldplay emerged to the theme from Back to the Future, before a spectacular fireworks display accompanied ‘Hurts like Heaven’. From this moment on you knew that no expense had been spared for this show. This prediction proved to be correct as the money from everyone’s ticket seemed to have been spent on the exceptional amount of confetti that poured onto the crowd during crowd favourite ‘In my Place’.

Coldplay had played two songs and they already seemed to have done everything that can be done for a stadium performance. There was more to come though, as they ran through ‘The Scientist’ and ‘Yellow’, Chris Martin had basically been made redundant because, through both of these songs, there is no way that anyone could have sung over the crowd. There was more to Coldplay than just turning up with spectacular effects and well rehearsed songs though; they enlightened the crowd with a rearranged, slightly heavier version of ‘God put a smile upon your Face’. After this, Coldplay came to the end of the catwalk, barely feet away, and were joined by five giant Rihannas (on the screens) for ‘Princess of China’. For the next two songs, the band were so close that I could see the stubble on drummer Will Champion’s face; this was not something I expected from a stadium show.

I have neglected to mention until now the most spectacular part of the show, something of unprecedented beauty, which had been impressive if not remarkable until now, due to it being daylight. As the “woah-oh”s of ‘Viva la Vida’ died down, Chris Martin commanded the crowd to put their arms in the air and “watch this”. Suddenly, the whole stadium was alight with the glowing wristbands that every audience member had been given; 50,000 individual lights of white, pink, green, red orange and blue gazed down upon the band. I have been to a lot of gigs, but this individual moment was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. The wristbands then flashed in time to the music before ‘Charlie Brown’ ended with the lines “We’ll run wild / we’ll be glowing in the dark”. The wristbands were an audacious and no doubt expensive stage prop, but it was an idea that worked; it really worked.

Coldplay then ran to the back of the stadium to a tiny stage where, though I could see nothing, those who had seen barely anything until now got a fantastic view for a couple of songs. The band then come back onto the main stage to play an encore which included super-ballad “Fix You”; a song which has an uncanny knack of reducing me to tears whenever it is played live. This night was no different; thankfully I got over myself ahead of the fireworks towards the end of the song before they closed with “Every Teardrop is a Waterfall”, where the wristbands continued to dazzle.

The show ended here and I was stunned; Coldplay did more than enough to tick all the boxes for a spectacular stadium show. Yet they had also provided rousing tunes and played them to perfection. However, I also felt that Coldplay were still a band having fun; they didn’t have the U2 mentality of “We’re massive, let’s just turn up and play the tunes to a great show”. Coldplay still seem to be a band based on great friendships, they just happen to also be very successful with it. Therefore, Coldplay demonstrate through their friendship exactly what a band should be about at every level; something which really should be commended. All in all Coldplay provided everything. I’m sure you all had a great time at the Summer Party, but I wouldn’t have wanted to miss a show like Coldplay’s for the world.

http://www.impactnottingham.com/2012/06/live-review-coldplay-manchester-etihad-stadium-090512/

June 18, 2012 - submitted by Carly, United Kingdom

Q. Pleading for your help!

At Manchester City stadium on the 09/06/12 my extremely romantic (boyfriend at the time) proposed to me during my favourite song, yellow. We were standing at the front, to the left hand side of the stage. I know several people filmed this, but unfortunately in all the excitement we forgot to get anyone's names to get hold of the footage. Could you please help by posting this, in the hope the people who filmed our lovely moment will post it! Please help. Carly. X

The Oracle replies:

Congratulations.

You're better posting this query on the Coldplaying fan site's forums to be honest...

-----------------

Are there videos of this?

June 18, 2012 - submitted by Carly, United Kingdom[/color][/b]

Q. Pleading for your help!

At Manchester City stadium on the 09/06/12 my extremely romantic (boyfriend at the time) proposed to me during my favourite song, yellow. We were standing at the front, to the left hand side of the stage. I know several people filmed this, but unfortunately in all the excitement we forgot to get anyone's names to get hold of the footage. Could you please help by posting this, in the hope the people who filmed our lovely moment will post it! Please help. Carly. X

The Oracle replies:

Congratulations.

You're better posting this query on the Coldplaying fan site's forums to be honest...

-----------------

Are there videos of this?

I made that video

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Just received an email off eventful ( they recommend upcoming gigs etc) with a September 6th & October 6th dates for the Etihad stadium! Wtf? It has got to be a mistake or are they playing some other Etihad stadium elsewhere in the world then?

Someone needs to collect their p45 after this! Wtf are they thinking of?! I had hope for 45 minutes!

They were in Manchester on 09/06 and 10/06. In America that is 06/09 and 06/10 and those dates are 6 September and 6 October in Europe. Mystery solved!

They were in Manchester on 09/06 and 10/06. In America that is 06/09 and 06/10 and those dates are 6 September and 6 October in Europe. Mystery solved!

How odd to try & still sell tickets! And to confuse an English person with American dates! Now I feel stupid!

Daughter-in-law - wardrobe girl at Etihad

:curtain:Hi, my name is Ruqayya. I come on here every day, but don't post as I never have anything exciting to say... until now!

Well, my son's partner, Deborah, is often asked to work on the wardrobe at concerts in Manchester and has 'done' for many top stars. She was asked to work at the Coldplay concert, which she agreed to. When she told me I was so excited! Anyway, this is what she told me.

Apparently, she said WOW a lot, starting with the arrival of the band in a helicopter after having just performed at Wembley. So then she steamed and ironed jackets and t-shirts and very little else. She said she just wandered around looking for something to do. She said the band was very undemanding (as we know, they are very modest in their requirements), and in the end she was told to go and enjoy the show. Boy, did she enjoy it! Although she quite liked Coldplay, she was far from being a hard-core fan, but she was absolutely blown away by everything. She loved the 'walking man' best of all, I think.

She also loved the wrist-bands, and she was talking about them backstage and asking how they worked, when Gwyneth turned to her and said "they're remote controlled"... !!!

She also saw Chris, who said "Hello, how are you?" Again... !!! I asked Deborah whether he looked very tall, and she said yes but he was just shuffling along (lol). She had heard the band jamming in their dressing room before the show started, and she said that they seemed quite shy when she saw them walking in the corridor on their return to their room.

Deborah got me some souvenirs! She gave me a 'local crew' t-shirt - bright orange, an access pass on a neck-thingy, and a set list!

I'm thrilled to bits! I had been to the Manchester concert of the Viva tour, but I haven't managed to get to any of the MX concerts. However, this was a close next-best thing! I went to visit Deborah this weekend and had a great time talking about the concert and the band (and especially Chris!). My family get a little fed-up of me constantly talking about Coldplay (and Chris!), but this gave me the perfect opportunity to go on and on and on...

:curtain:Hi, my name is Ruqayya. I come on here every day, but don't post as I never have anything exciting to say... until now!

Well, my son's partner, Deborah, is often asked to work on the wardrobe at concerts in Manchester and has 'done' for many top stars. She was asked to work at the Coldplay concert, which she agreed to. When she told me I was so excited! Anyway, this is what she told me.

Apparently, she said WOW a lot, starting with the arrival of the band in a helicopter after having just performed at Wembley. So then she steamed and ironed jackets and t-shirts and very little else. She said she just wandered around looking for something to do. She said the band was very undemanding (as we know, they are very modest in their requirements), and in the end she was told to go and enjoy the show. Boy, did she enjoy it! Although she quite liked Coldplay, she was far from being a hard-core fan, but she was absolutely blown away by everything. She loved the 'walking man' best of all, I think.

She also loved the wrist-bands, and she was talking about them backstage and asking how they worked, when Gwyneth turned to her and said "they're remote controlled"... !!!

She also saw Chris, who said "Hello, how are you?" Again... !!! I asked Deborah whether he looked very tall, and she said yes but he was just shuffling along (lol). She had heard the band jamming in their dressing room before the show started, and she said that they seemed quite shy when she saw them walking in the corridor on their return to their room.

Deborah got me some souvenirs! She gave me a 'local crew' t-shirt - bright orange, an access pass on a neck-thingy, and a set list!

I'm thrilled to bits! I had been to the Manchester concert of the Viva tour, but I haven't managed to get to any of the MX concerts. However, this was a close next-best thing! I went to visit Deborah this weekend and had a great time talking about the concert and the band (and especially Chris!). My family get a little fed-up of me constantly talking about Coldplay (and Chris!), but this gave me the perfect opportunity to go on and on and on...

wouahhh!!! it's a great story!!

I watched most of the video but I only saw Coldplay. Did you also capture the proposal moment?

I didn't find anything in youtube...

Her last chance: to tweet Coldplay and then maybe they will retweet her and someone who are close to her has a picture or a video...