[9-Jun-2012] Coldplay @ Etihad Stadium, Manchester, UK

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanna go that way:laugh3::D

Yeah, me too!:D

Why am I still awake???

Because I just love seeing these pics, that's why. I just can't imagine what this looks like in person!:D

11i0ltw.jpg

EDIT: Sorry for the re-post, Tash. Sleep time...for real...honest...really...maybe,lol...

What a day yesterday! Afternoon began by being scammed by a car park that didn't exist, but was worth the hassle in the end.First Coldplay show hopefully won't be my last! Looked brilliant, sounded brilliant & the xyloband looked beautiful all lit up!

Does anyone have any spare confetti to donate?! Couldn't go on the pitch to grab any!

Last night was incredible...the second time I've seen Coldplay and actually the best! And I didn't think I'd be saying that...

Got some photos, the best are those during Up In Flames/Warning Sign because I was right on the barrier of the X Stage!

The best part for me was during Viva La Vida...Chris came right to the edge of the X Stage and saw my stupid grinning face...he copied it, then I pulled a shocked face and he copied that! It was basically a 5-second funny face competition between us both during VLV! :D

I'll try and get some pictures up for you all soon!

Last night was incredible...the second time I've seen Coldplay and actually the best! And I didn't think I'd be saying that...

Got some photos, the best are those during Up In Flames/Warning Sign because I was right on the barrier of the X Stage!

The best part for me was during Viva La Vida...Chris came right to the edge of the X Stage and saw my stupid grinning face...he copied it, then I pulled a shocked face and he copied that! It was basically a 5-second funny face competition between us both during VLV! :D

I'll try and get some pictures up for you all soon!

That's very cool. I was at the front barrier near the stage, but the stage was so high up from the ground that I didn't have as good a view as I expected. Chris did look and nod at me during ETIAW on his way past which was nice; he was doing similar things to others nearby as he walked past.

Good performance overall, but they were late on and I wonder whether they had to cut a couple of tracks due to the 11pm curfew. It was really nice to hear Lovers in Japan and Speed of Sound.

I feel like after this MX era, Coldplay should ease off on some of the effects such as the inflatable balls, the wristbands, and limit the ticker tape to just one song. Hopefully the colour palate will be less gaudy too :wink:.

Review: Coldplay play to 50,000 crowd at the Etihad Stadium, Manchester

C_71_article_1581031_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg?10%2F06%2F2012%2016%3A24%3A03%3A418

The home of the Premier League champions Manchester City was taken over by Coldplay last night.

The band, led by front-man Chris Martin, played the first of two gigs at the Etihad Stadium. The second takes place tonight.

Thousands of fans turned up to the Blues' ground to see them perform at the venue for the first time. The band's last Manchester gig was a Lancashire County Cricket Club.

Their recording career began in Manchester when they signed a record deal at the In The City festival.

Just in case you are wondering about the fireworks, screams, and 50,000 voices ringing out from Manchester City’s Etihad Stadium at the weekend – Coldplay were in town.

The hugely successful British band, made up of lead singer Chris Martin, guitarist Guy Berryman, bassist Jonny Bucklandand drummer Will Champion, played in Manchester as part of their Mylo Xylo UK stadium tour, promoting their latest album.

The pressure was on after tickets sold out within 90 minutes of release and a second date was added to the Manchester leg.

But the boys, who have racked up an impressive back catalogue of hits, delivered the goods with arguably the most colourful and entertaining stadium concert of the year.

Not only did they give a hugely energetic performance of hits such as The Scientist, Violet Hill and Paradise, but the crowd was constantly entertained with fireworks, confetti cannons and 50 enormous air-filled balloons fired into the crowd.

Perhaps the most impressive sight was the array of multicoloured wrist bands issued to each audience member and flashed in time with the music.

The bands came in pink, green, red, orange, blue and white, and were radio controlled to flash upon the band’s command. A truly awesome spectacle was when Chris Martin casually ordered: “Put your hands in the air - watch this,’ before lying back to enjoy 50,000 multicoloured stars light up the darkened arena.

It was the perfect way to make each and every member of the audience feel part of something amazing.

Support acts Rita Ora and Robyn warmed up the excited crowd early in the Saturday evening before the band appeared on stage to give a rapturous opening performance of Mylo Xyloto and Hurts Like Heaven.

The most impressive songs were those accompanied by the pyrotechnics and flashing bands, such as God Put a Smile on Your Face, Charlie Brown and Paradise.

But Chris Martin did a fine job when he took to the middle of the arena to perform Up In Flames and Warning Sign on his own.

Another special moment was when members gathered one by one on a tiny stage at the back of the stadium to perform Speed of Sound.

The night ended with the band back on the main stage for a firework spectacular and rousing performances of Clocks, Fix You, and Every Teardrop is a Waterfall.

link

C_71_article_1581031_image_list_image_list_item_1_image.jpg?10%2F06%2F2012%2016%3A24%3A03%3A418

C_71_article_1581031_image_list_image_list_item_2_image.jpg?10%2F06%2F2012%2016%3A24%3A03%3A418

C_71_article_1581031_image_list_image_list_item_3_image.jpg?10%2F06%2F2012%2016%3A24%3A03%3A418

What a night - this was my tenth Coldplay show and definitely one of my favourites. The last time I saw them was last summer at T, I couldn't get tix for the winter shows and almost didn't make it to this one - finally managed to get tickets a few weeks ago when the very last ones went on sale. That meant I was sitting right at the back, and I was going with a colleague from work who was only a passing fan, so I guess I went in with low expectations - I've been at the back of stadium gigs before and the atmosphere has been a bit flat. No such problems last night!

First of all, I think Robyn did a great job as warm up act - brave girl to do a Coldplay cover for that crowd. I was at the back in the seats, but a lot of people at the back in the standing area were having a really good dance to her stuff - it was clear they'd come to have a good time. The weather was quite warm and it managed to stay dry so that raised people's spirits too.

I've been a ban fan of late. Work has been crazy and I just don't have time to get on here, or check out coldplay.com so much. As a result, I didn't know what setlist to expect and I think that was a good thing. Also, being right at the back meant I saw all the fireworks, confetti and such - this was a phenomenal visual experience, it's just mind blowing how much work they've put in to the look, and I loved every bit of it.

Hurts Like Heaven got things of to a good start, but the place errupted when In My Place began - everyone in our section got up to dance and sing and never really stopped after that. They sang with gusto all night (although curiously, a lot of them chose to take their toilet break during Violet Hill - CRAZY!)

Chris was clearly in a great mood - he made several references to Manchester being the "city of music" throughout the night and talked about The Stone Roses reforming. He sang a burst of Songbird before Fix You. He laughed throughout the show and before Yellow he said "I'm singing this for my wife, and you can sing it for whoever you love". He seemed really relaxed and happy throughout.

As always, VLV was a special moment and the crowd kept the chant going as the band made their way to the C stage. Will sounded great on the C stage - I don't think they had his microphone up loud enough on the main stage.

It's always hard to pick a highlight - I just end up listing 10 songs. In My Place is my all-time fave Coldplay song, so it will always be a live highlight - and there was lots of Chris & Jonny love on the ramp during it :P It was fantastic to hear Lovers in Japan live again, and I was so happy to hear Warning Sign again.

The crowd went nuts during Paradise - I know it's not a fave with a lot of longterm CP fans, but last night it got one of the best reactions. The Xylobands were flashing like crazy then and I have to say, when they were working, it didn't feel like I was in a stadium with 50,000 people, it somehow made it feel much smaller and intimate.

My other highlight was ETIAW - again, apologies to those who don't like it, but it's one of my faves from Mylo Xyloto and a brilliant end to the show. I danced my ass off and it was a brilliant end to a fabulous evening. My colleague is now a Coldplay convert and even the hassle we had trying to get out of Manchester (never known traffic like it) couldn't dampen our spirits.

Love, love, LOVED IT! :D