✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I'm trying to get un-fat >:(

Brent

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't eat less. Just eat right. More protein and less carbs.. Chicken/Turkey instead of pork and beef. And lots of fruit and veggies.

And exercise like 1h a day. And the weight should float off you.

It's super easy for guys to loose weight, so no excusesssss.

There is a lot of misinformation that gets flung around about cardiovascular activity and weight loss. Even more so about dietary habits.

First things first Brent - you need to become aware of the nutrition information of every single piece of food or drink you consume on a regular basis. This is vital and I can guarantee that you will not maintain a lower weight limit without doing this. You are someone who is naturally a larger built person. You're tall, you've got big shoulders and you put on weight fairly easily. That much you can't change and people who are built like you, if they wish to control their weight, have a tougher time than others.

So first thing: pay attention to what you are eating. Create meal plans and stick to them.

This is vastly more important than going to the gym and doing some vague cardio exercises occasionally. Cardiovascular activity (when done properly) can be pretty effective in burning fat calories, but it can also increase appetite and burn carbohydrates instead. Then you are at square one because and you won't get anywhere without changing your diet.

However, do not stress over it. Stress hormones will ruin progress. Create an interest out of it.

I can say much because I don't know the ins and out of your situation or your diet, but I will list a few vague pointers:

- Don't just "eat less". Eat smarter.

Eating less can actually be counter productive. Some women in particular, when wanting to lose weight, will cut down their meals from 3 times a day to 2 times a day. This is a huge mistake to make because eating rarely increases fat content.

In laymen's terms, what happens is your body gets used to only being fed twice a day and turns the majority of your consumed food into fat stores because it can't expect to be fed until the next day. The body operates on a "worst case scenario" situation all the time, and this is a survival trait that we have picked up through thousands of years of evolution. If people are in harsh environments and can only find food to eat occasionally - the body will store those chemicals in fat.

In short: Eating rarely (as in, only twice a day) isn't a good place to start and it is a mistake a lot of people (especially women) make.

- Don't completely cut carbs

Yes, people lose weight by not eating carbs. I guarentee you, if you go two weeks without eating any carbohydrates you'll lose surprising amounts of weight. But don't do this, because carbohydrates work by filling out and absorbing liquid in the body. When someone cuts carbs, they aren't really losing their fat content - they are just losing the ability to absorb and retain moisture in their muscle.

Having said that - the first piece of advice I'd give is to cut your carbohydrates down to healthier levels. I don't know the ins and outs of what you eat Brent - but nearly everyone I've dealt with who struggles with their weight is eating way too many carbohydrates.

-Portion control!

This is the most important thing to be aware of. Men in the USA (and the West in general) eat far too large portions. Especially red meat and especially carbohydrates. There is no need for a university student to be eating large amounts of red meat and carbs. No need at all. I can't talk specifics because I don't know your diet, but I would make these recommendations:

- Limit your soft drink intake. When you do drink soft drinks, drink the smaller sizes. Even a drop from a large cup of soft drink to a medium will save you anywhere between 100 - 180 calories. However, soft drinks are something I'd recommend you to avoid. Period. Drink juice or water instead. Not only will you lose weight, you will live longer.

- Limit your red meat intake. One serving of red meat should be no bigger than three ounces. To put it in perspective, that's the size of a deck of cards. You ideal should be getting two servings a day of this, so in total: six ounces. Stay the fuck away from fast food.

- Limit dairy intake. Between three to four servings of things like cheese is okay. A correct serving of cheese is one ounce. That's the size of your thumbs. Stay the fuck away from fast food.

- Limit carbohydrates. Any more than two cups of pasta or white bread is completely unnecessary for people who don't lead an active lifestyle. One cup is about the size of a tennis ball.

Doing little things like buying wholemeal bread instead of white do drastic amounts of good.

These limitations aren't meant to be taken as gospel - but they are meant to show you the correct healthy eating services so you can compare them to what you are eating now. My guess is that you are completely over doing it.

-----

Okay, on to exercise. I mentioned earlier about misinformation in regards to cardiovascular activity. For weight loss, doing the right type of cardio is important. Remember: all cardio is fantastic for you and does great things for your heart and your joints, but if we are talking about weight loss then the optimum types of cardio includes things like:

Bicycling at a speed between 13-20 MPH. Any slower is too gentle, any faster is too intense.

Running a mile in between 7-10 minutes.

As you can see, these are fairly fiddly and are tricky to measure. This is why I don't believe cardio should be your automatic response to weight loss. Cardio is amazing, but it's hard to do right if you are solely trying to lose weight.

I'd recommend weight circuit training. It is easy to do, it doesn't require micro management and it is going to burn the right type of calories. Look at military circuit workouts. They include both resistance, aerobic, cardio and strength work outs.

Forget reps, focus on time. With weights: work on squats, presses, planks, lunges and raises. Without weights: push ups, sit ups, leg cycles. Use google to find specific routines and adapt them to suit your body.

Move from one to another with as little as rest as possible in between. If you want to burn fat, doing this is going to be better for you than running or walking occasionally.

--

Hope that helps a little bit. The important thing is creating goals and sticking to them; general willpower. You and I are both on our way to becoming doctors and it is imperative that we understand and practise the importance of healthy diet and exercise in order to truly become a part of the field. Without doing this, we cannot expect to set an example or for our patients to care. It would be akin to taking advice from a mechanic with a broken vehicle.

Don't eat less. Just eat right. More protein and less carbs.. Chicken/Turkey instead of pork and beef. And lots of fruit and veggies.

And exercise like 1h a day. And the weight should float off you.

It's super easy for guys to loose weight, so no excusesssss.

I lost a bunch of weight Freshman year but then I changed from journalism (which was no work) to medicine (which was a lot of work) so I undid all that great work. I'm not fat by any means but I'd like to trim it down yaknowww

Sounds good to me! I did three miles today.

I did too! Just a couple hours ago. But then I came home and ate a bagel, just like you said not to (I'm about to go to bed). I was hungry.

High fat. Low Carb. Medium protein.

Cardio is stupid for weight loss.

I've also heard that lifting weights is better for weight loss. I don't really know though.

There is a lot of misinformation that gets flung around about cardiovascular activity and weight loss. Even more so about dietary habits.

First things first Brent - you need to become aware of the nutrition information of every single piece of food or drink you consume on a regular basis. This is vital and I can guarantee that you will not maintain a lower weight limit without doing this. You are someone who is naturally a larger built person. You're tall, you've got big shoulders and you put on weight fairly easily. That much you can't change and people who are built like you, if they wish to control their weight, have a tougher time than others.

So first thing: pay attention to what you are eating. Create meal plans and stick to them.

This is vastly more important than going to the gym and doing some vague cardio exercises occasionally. Cardiovascular activity (when done properly) can be pretty effective in burning fat calories, but it can also increase appetite and burn carbohydrates instead. Then you are at square one because and you won't get anywhere without changing your diet.

However, do not stress over it. Stress hormones will ruin progress. Create an interest out of it.

I can say much because I don't know the ins and out of your situation or your diet, but I will list a few vague pointers:

- Don't just "eat less". Eat smarter.

Eating less can actually be counter productive. Some women in particular, when wanting to lose weight, will cut down their meals from 3 times a day to 2 times a day. This is a huge mistake to make because eating rarely increases fat content.

In laymen's terms, what happens is your body gets used to only being fed twice a day and turns the majority of your consumed food into fat stores because it can't expect to be fed until the next day. The body operates on a "worst case scenario" situation all the time, and this is a survival trait that we have picked up through thousands of years of evolution. If people are in harsh environments and can only find food to eat occasionally - the body will store those chemicals in fat.

In short: Eating rarely (as in, only twice a day) isn't a good place to start and it is a mistake a lot of people (especially women) make.

- Don't completely cut carbs

Yes, people lose weight by not eating carbs. I guarentee you, if you go two weeks without eating any carbohydrates you'll lose surprising amounts of weight. But don't do this, because carbohydrates work by filling out and absorbing liquid in the body. When someone cuts carbs, they aren't really losing their fat content - they are just losing the ability to absorb and retain moisture in their muscle.

Having said that - the first piece of advice I'd give is to cut your carbohydrates down to healthier levels. I don't know the ins and outs of what you eat Brent - but nearly everyone I've dealt with who struggles with their weight is eating way too many carbohydrates.

-Portion control!

This is the most important thing to be aware of. Men in the USA (and the West in general) eat far too large portions. Especially red meat and especially carbohydrates. There is no need for a university student to be eating large amounts of red meat and carbs. No need at all. I can't talk specifics because I don't know your diet, but I would make these recommendations:

- Limit your soft drink intake. When you do drink soft drinks, drink the smaller sizes. Even a drop from a large cup of soft drink to a medium will save you anywhere between 100 - 180 calories. However, soft drinks are something I'd recommend you to avoid. Period. Drink juice or water instead. Not only will you lose weight, you will live longer.

- Limit your red meat intake. One serving of red meat should be no bigger than three ounces. To put it in perspective, that's the size of a deck of cards. You ideal should be getting two servings a day of this, so in total: six ounces. Stay the fuck away from fast food.

- Limit dairy intake. Between three to four servings of things like cheese is okay. A correct serving of cheese is one ounce. That's the size of your thumbs. Stay the fuck away from fast food.

- Limit carbohydrates. Any more than two cups of pasta or white bread is completely unnecessary for people who don't lead an active lifestyle. One cup is about the size of a tennis ball.

Doing little things like buying wholemeal bread instead of white do drastic amounts of good.

These limitations aren't meant to be taken as gospel - but they are meant to show you the correct healthy eating services so you can compare them to what you are eating now. My guess is that you are completely over doing it.

-----

Okay, on to exercise. I mentioned earlier about misinformation in regards to cardiovascular activity. For weight loss, doing the right type of cardio is important. Remember: all cardio is fantastic for you and does great things for your heart and your joints, but if we are talking about weight loss then the optimum types of cardio includes things like:

Bicycling at a speed between 13-20 MPH. Any slower is too gentle, any faster is too intense.

Running a mile in between 7-10 minutes.

As you can see, these are fairly fiddly and are tricky to measure. This is why I don't believe cardio should be your automatic response to weight loss. Cardio is amazing, but it's hard to do right if you are solely trying to lose weight.

I'd recommend weight circuit training. It is easy to do, it doesn't require micro management and it is going to burn the right type of calories. Look at military circuit workouts. They include both resistance, aerobic, cardio and strength work outs.

Forget reps, focus on time. With weights: work on squats, presses, planks, lunges and raises. Without weights: push ups, sit ups, leg cycles. Use google to find specific routines and adapt them to suit your body.

Move from one to another with as little as rest as possible in between. If you want to burn fat, doing this is going to be better for you than running or walking occasionally.

--

Hope that helps a little bit. The important thing is creating goals and sticking to them; general willpower. You and I are both on our way to becoming doctors and it is imperative that we understand and practise the importance of healthy diet and exercise in order to truly become a part of the field. Without doing this, we cannot expect to set an example or for our patients to care. It would be akin to taking advice from a mechanic with a broken vehicle.

Holy shit thanks Kiame! You're awesome!

If you were close to me I'd pay you to be my personal trainer.

I have done some of those things; I've completely cut out all my soda and sugary stuff. I haven't given much thought to that kind of variety of exercise, though. But you're right: I need to eat "smarter" but I'm sure as hell going to miss all the pizza

Stop the Taco Bell. :|

I've stopped eating out except for a standing appointment with a friend for brunch on Fridays. Suckahh.

Drink enough water at least 6 cups a day. When you wake up in the morning, drink at least a cup of water so all of the toxic in your body can be flushed out. This will help boost your metabolism too. Try to eat breakfast or a small snack when you wake up. Eat smaller portions during meals especially during dinner. Eat a lot of vegetables and fruits, especially vegetables that has the important vitamins.. 2 fruits a day, but don't eat too much of it because most of them have a lot of sugar… a good healthy snack for the afternoon I like to eat is making my own yogurt. Just a small bowl of low fat yogurt with variety of fruits like berries, or sliced apples/oranges/bananas, etc…it’s so yummy haha

Easiest diet to lose weight fast is Keto.

Essentially low carb (~5%), high fat (~60%), and protein at ~35%.

Now this may seem like... omg HEART ATTACK. But there aren't any studies that can actually prove that.

Basically sugar is the enemy. Carbs are the enemy.

If you're carbs are low enough (>~20g/day), you're body is going to be in a state of ketosis. Since there's no carbs available, it's gonna be using fat as a primary fuel source. Also carbohydrates are what cause a insulin response, if you don't spike your insulin, you're not gonna store glucose or accumulate to much stuff in your body. So you can burn fat without having to work through stores.

You'll generally feel better too. At the beginning you'd feel a bit sluggish for a few day. But after that, energy levels will be crazy high.

I did it for a couple of months and lost like 20 pounds. And I was already in the "normal" weight range, so it's not like I lost a bunch of weight cause I had a lot to lose (which generally makes it easier to lose weight), i was just trying to tone up.

It's stayed off too. Changed my eating habits. I feel a bit gross after a big bowl of pasta or pizza now. So it helps me make better choices even though I'm not strictly following the diet.

Also, I've heard weights are better than cardio for weight loss too.

Cardio doesn't make THAT many calories and generally you'll just eat up the amount you burned since it'll make you hungry. That being said, cardio is really good for your health.

Weights burn calories and tone up muscles, shaping your body.

I would not recommend going on a ketogenic diet without thorough discussions with your doctor first.

A ketogenic diet increases your energy because it forces your body to use its preferred source of fuel: free form carboxylic acids. Glucose and carbohydrates are fuels that are the easiest for the body to use but aren't really the premium type of fuel.

It certainly has its benefits; but to recommend it to someone without a knowledge of both their personal and their familial cardiovascular health is irresponsible.

Whilst ketogenic diets are different from other high fat diets (i.e: eating fast food all the time) there is still more than enough science behind the increased cholesterol that it brings about. The problem is that ketogenic diets don't increase HDL cholesterol levels but do increase LDL.

There is some conflicting evidence that shows LDL levels do return to normal after completion of the diet - which for most people, makes ketogenic diets fairly risk free and acceptable.

The problem comes when someone's heart, whether through previous diet habits or from hereditary sources is already faltering due to abnormal cholesterol levels - many of which may be undetected and therefore unknown. We do not know enough about Brent's familial medical history to make recommendations towards diets that have not been thoroughly declared safe and often result in a temporary raise to LDL levels. Some people are not in a position to raise their LDL levels so dramatically. It doesn't matter if it's only temporary or not - it can still cause damage.

Don't get me wrong, 95% of the time nothing bad will come from a ketogenic diet. But it's not a good idea to get into the practice of recommending health strategies that can cause problems for some people.

I would not recommend going on a ketogenic diet without thorough discussions with your doctor first.

A ketogenic diet increases your energy because it forces your body to use its preferred source of fuel: free form carboxylic acids. Glucose and carbohydrates are fuels that are the easiest for the body to use but aren't really the premium type of fuel.

It certainly has its benefits; but to recommend it to someone without a knowledge of both their personal and their familial cardiovascular health is irresponsible.

Whilst ketogenic diets are different from other high fat diets (i.e: eating fast food all the time) there is still more than enough science behind the increased cholesterol that it brings about. The problem is that ketogenic diets don't increase HDL cholesterol levels but do increase LDL.

There is some conflicting evidence that shows LDL levels do return to normal after completion of the diet - which for most people, makes ketogenic diets fairly risk free and acceptable.

The problem comes when someone's heart, whether through previous diet habits or from hereditary sources is already faltering due to abnormal cholesterol levels - many of which may be undetected and therefore unknown. We do not know enough about Brent's familial medical history to make recommendations towards diets that have not been thoroughly declared safe and often result in a temporary raise to LDL levels. Some people are not in a position to raise their LDL levels so dramatically. It doesn't matter if it's only temporary or not - it can still cause damage.

Don't get me wrong, 95% of the time nothing bad will come from a ketogenic diet. But it's not a good idea to get into the practice of recommending health strategies that can cause problems for some people.

Most diets can cause health problems to people who fall into specific categories.

It's always good to get a doctor's advice before you significantly change your exercise or diet regimen, and that goes for anything.

Most diets can cause health problems to people who fall into specific categories.

It's always good to get a doctor's advice before you significantly change your exercise or diet regimen, and that goes for anything.

Not necessarily to the degree you are implying though. Telling someone to eat more vegetables and fruit and cut out extra carbohydrates and excess amounts of sugar is different to suggesting a ketogenic diet. They involve the raising of LDL levels that can cause severe problems to those unlucky few who have outstanding cardiology concerns.