djibou

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

AHHH WHY DO I KEEP FORGETTING ABOUT THIS

MAYDAY

1. I'd love to use the adjective foxy to describe this, but it may sound a bit weird. According to urban dictionary, foxy is an adjective used to describe girls. Let's just say that this song is like a foxy girl. Pretty, appealing, beautiful just doesn't do it. Instruments in this one seem a bit random, but that's what makes the track interesting and enjoyable. Lyrics mention „a house by the sea“ a few times. The whole recording creates a beautiful soundscape. Foxy!

2. This brings quite a different mood than the previous track. Melancholy is provided all over the track – crying piano, sighing vocals, agonizing strings… The track is a bit repetitive, especially that piano riff. But with repetitivness it strengthens the mood it's bringing to you – the melancholy really feels like melancholy.

3. This one is more like the first track – uplifting. It's the first track that features a female singer in this mixtape. The song structure manages to make the track disturbing, but thrilling. Heavy instrumentalisation, just like in the first track. I really like it.

4. A minute and a half of what sounds to me like electric drums and electric strings (?), then a screaming synth enters. Bursts with melancholy. „Mayday, mayday.“ – this is obviously the title track of the mixtape. „Ooh I'm still waiting for you to come back.“ – the chorus howls. I happen to know the track, it's called „Rome“ – and it happens to be one of my favourite releases this year. It's by another female singer – with a gorgeous, thrilling voice. She's, like the (previous) YouTube top comment says – „A true black pearl with an amazing talent and voice, hidden between the marvelous landscapes and nature of Norway. Her name is Susanne Sundfør.“

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxhPaZXdS8Y&feature=player_embedded]Susanne Sundfør - Rome - YouTube[/ame]

5. Another uplifting track. Seems like this mixtape has a good structure! A male singer in this one, whose voice sounds soo familiar to me. Who is it? I love the harmony of heavy guitars, mythical strings and a touch of electronica in this one!

6. This one sounds very familiar to me. I can't remember who it is though. A female vocalist singing over a soundscape of distorted guitars, piano and „elegant“ drums. Catchy chorus.

7. Lovely piano and interesting percussion make the intro. A female singer enters, making the whole track a wonderful harmony. Later on it's enrichened with strings. Thank you for this one.

8. Quiet piano ballad, with Justin Vernon singing about his past relationship in Wisconsin. Beautiful. Violet introduced me to this song in the last exchange and it was one of my favourites from her mixtape. This is Bon Iver's Wisconsin.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

9. Instrumental one. Almost 5 minutes of disturbing distorted guitars, bass riff, heavy percussion and jazzy horns which make the song.

10. Female vocalist. Sounds like Susanne again to me? I don't know which song this is though. A beautiful, gloomy piano based ballad. Her vocals get more and more powerful as the song progresses, making it's peak in the end when all the instruments including an arrangement of horns and strings clash together, making a wonderful soundscape.

11. Guitar powered track. Some interesting solos and instruments here. I guess they're just maybe some strange guitar effects? Don't know but it sounds cool.

12. Slow raw acoustic one. And again so beautiful, I guess that some of the songs on this mixtape might be some of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. But yeah, no cons so far. My partner must have a wonderful taste.

13. I love how there's this continuum of slow-fast-slow-fast track on here. And yes, this one is a fast one. And again a wonderful selection of instruments. „I'm so sorry for everything“ repeats the chorus. Can I use this chance and say that I'm so sorry for this long wait, blame it on me.

14. Acoustic one. Singer-songwriter kinda thing. Well I must say that it's kinda bland. At least until that choir (?) or backsingers join in at the end and add a bit of life to the song. But not bad at all.

15. Woah this is amazing. From the opening riff to the end it gets more and more interesting. I love how in the middle of the track it just stops for a moment – and then when you think it's over – just chaotically explodes. Probably my favourite off the tape, but it's really hard to tell because all the songs were magnificent.

This mixtape is so well organised, yet full of wonderful soundscapes and things I've never heard before. I also loved the un-predictability of the songs. It's pretty hard to write a review when you can't complain on anything. And this is that kind of a mixtape. Thank you so much, even though the tape wasn't made for me. And once again sorry, sorry, sorry. Trust me, I hate myself even more than you hate me.

Only one missing anymore? Well, it took a while but I am happy that in the end most tapes got reviewed! Thanks people for being so patience and finding time.

What do you guys think of refusing people for a next round if they did not do a review at all in this round? Some here didn't review and even never made an apologize or even showed that they were alive :S

Of course this is all voluntairy and the low treshold is what makes people want to participate easier. But it also sucks when you join and put your time and energy in it, but someone else doesn't care and you just have to wait .... and wait ... until giving up.

btw. I am looking forward to the whole tracklisting of above's review. It looks amazing! (and a link to the mixtape? :P)

Only one missing anymore? Well, it took a while but I am happy that in the end most tapes got reviewed! Thanks people for being so patience and finding time.

What do you guys think of refusing people for a next round if they did not do a review at all in this round? Some here didn't review and even never made an apologize or even showed that they were alive :S

Of course this is all voluntairy and the low treshold is what makes people want to participate easier. But it also sucks when you join and put your time and energy in it, but someone else doesn't care and you just have to wait .... and wait ... until giving up.

btw. I am looking forward to the whole tracklisting of above's review. It looks amazing! (and a link to the mixtape? :P)

The link is broken, sorry :P

I actually did this back when I ran MTE 10. I asked people who ran the previous few who didn't review as they were supposed to, and I put them in a list. I didn't have to worry about it, though, seeing as the people on the list never participated again, anyway. Typically, the people who don't review tend to avoid future exchanges. I don't think you'll have to worry about it too much.

Also, if there's still a review that needs doing, I'd be more than happy to do that so we can officially bring MTE 12 to a close. :smiley:

MAYDAY

1. I'd love to use the adjective foxy to describe this, but it may sound a bit weird. According to urban dictionary, foxy is an adjective used to describe girls. Let's just say that this song is like a foxy girl. Pretty, appealing, beautiful just doesn't do it. Instruments in this one seem a bit random, but that's what makes the track interesting and enjoyable. Lyrics mention „a house by the sea“ a few times. The whole recording creates a beautiful soundscape. Foxy!

2. This brings quite a different mood than the previous track. Melancholy is provided all over the track – crying piano, sighing vocals, agonizing strings… The track is a bit repetitive, especially that piano riff. But with repetitivness it strengthens the mood it's bringing to you – the melancholy really feels like melancholy.

3. This one is more like the first track – uplifting. It's the first track that features a female singer in this mixtape. The song structure manages to make the track disturbing, but thrilling. Heavy instrumentalisation, just like in the first track. I really like it.

4. A minute and a half of what sounds to me like electric drums and electric strings (?), then a screaming synth enters. Bursts with melancholy. „Mayday, mayday.“ – this is obviously the title track of the mixtape. „Ooh I'm still waiting for you to come back.“ – the chorus howls. I happen to know the track, it's called „Rome“ – and it happens to be one of my favourite releases this year. It's by another female singer – with a gorgeous, thrilling voice. She's, like the (previous) YouTube top comment says – „A true black pearl with an amazing talent and voice, hidden between the marvelous landscapes and nature of Norway. Her name is Susanne Sundfør.“

5. Another uplifting track. Seems like this mixtape has a good structure! A male singer in this one, whose voice sounds soo familiar to me. Who is it? I love the harmony of heavy guitars, mythical strings and a touch of electronica in this one!

6. This one sounds very familiar to me. I can't remember who it is though. A female vocalist singing over a soundscape of distorted guitars, piano and „elegant“ drums. Catchy chorus.

7. Lovely piano and interesting percussion make the intro. A female singer enters, making the whole track a wonderful harmony. Later on it's enrichened with strings. Thank you for this one.

8. Quiet piano ballad, with Justin Vernon singing about his past relationship in Wisconsin. Beautiful. Violet introduced me to this song in the last exchange and it was one of my favourites from her mixtape. This is Bon Iver's Wisconsin.

9. Instrumental one. Almost 5 minutes of disturbing distorted guitars, bass riff, heavy percussion and jazzy horns which make the song.

10. Female vocalist. Sounds like Susanne again to me? I don't know which song this is though. A beautiful, gloomy piano based ballad. Her vocals get more and more powerful as the song progresses, making it's peak in the end when all the instruments including an arrangement of horns and strings clash together, making a wonderful soundscape.

11. Guitar powered track. Some interesting solos and instruments here. I guess they're just maybe some strange guitar effects? Don't know but it sounds cool.

12. Slow raw acoustic one. And again so beautiful, I guess that some of the songs on this mixtape might be some of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. But yeah, no cons so far. My partner must have a wonderful taste.

13. I love how there's this continuum of slow-fast-slow-fast track on here. And yes, this one is a fast one. And again a wonderful selection of instruments. „I'm so sorry for everything“ repeats the chorus. Can I use this chance and say that I'm so sorry for this long wait, blame it on me.

14. Acoustic one. Singer-songwriter kinda thing. Well I must say that it's kinda bland. At least until that choir (?) or backsingers join in at the end and add a bit of life to the song. But not bad at all.

15. Woah this is amazing. From the opening riff to the end it gets more and more interesting. I love how in the middle of the track it just stops for a moment – and then when you think it's over – just chaotically explodes. Probably my favourite off the tape, but it's really hard to tell because all the songs were magnificent.

This mixtape is so well organised, yet full of wonderful soundscapes and things I've never heard before. I also loved the un-predictability of the songs. It's pretty hard to write a review when you can't complain on anything. And this is that kind of a mixtape. Thank you so much, even though the tape wasn't made for me. And once again sorry, sorry, sorry. Trust me, I hate myself even more than you hate me.

Alright well since the partner isn't showing up, the mixtape maker is The Final Track, and here is the tracklisting:

1. Iron & Wine - House By the Sea (The Shepard's Dog, 2007)

2. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - As I Sat Sadly By Her Side (No More Shall We Part, 2001)

3. St. Vincent - Paris is Burning (Marry Me, 2007)

4. Suanne Sundfør - Rome (The Silicone Veil, 2012)

5. The Shins - Sea Legs (Wincing the Night Away, 2007)

6. Eleanor Friedberger - Inn of the Seventh Ray (Last Summer, 2011)

7. Lost in the Trees - Neither Here Nor There (A Church that Fits our Needs, 2012)

8. Bon Iver - Wisconsin (For Emma, Forever Ago, 2007/08)

9. Dirty Three - Furnace Skies (Toward the Low Sun, 2012)

10. First Aid Kit - Dance to Another Tune (The Lion's Roar, 2012)

11. Elbow - Coming Second (Asleep in the Back, 2001)

12. Six Organs of Admittance - Spirits Abandoned (Dark Noontide, 2002)

13. The National - Baby, We'll Be Fine (Alligator, 2005)

14. Timber Timbre - Demon Host (Timber Timbre, 2009)

15. Jaga Jazzist - Oslo Skyline (What We Must, 2005)

This is mine :) don't worry about it

MAYDAY

There's definitely something almost sensual, maybe hypnotic about it, so saying foxy isn't wrong. A very unique mood, which I really enjoy, and Sam Beam is a great lyricist.

One of my favortie songs from one of my favorite albums, Iron & Wine - "House by the Sea" from The Shepards Dog.

This is a pretty good summary, I think. It does feel very genuine, and melancholic is the right word. This is Nick Cave's "As I sat Sadly by Her Side"

There's more going on here, instrumentally. A very dynamic song, and a very original one. There's a synth part toward the end of the song which I think is brilliant. St Vincent - "Paris is Burning"

I've seen her twice the last two years, and both times (once at a smaller venue, once at a festival) have been some of the greatest concerts I've been to. Can't hype her enough, and I'm happy to see Pitchfork and Uncut articles mentioning her :) You've got great taste, Fran!

The Shins - Sea Legs from 2007's Wincing the Night Away. If you've listened to Broken Bells, that might be where. I listened to this every day a period.

This one came out last year. Inn of the Seventh Ray from Eleanor Friedberger's Last Summer. Ace album, with a bunch of catchy and well crafter songs, and yes, very elegant.

Male singer, acutally :anxious: This guy just graduated I think , but has already been on NPR and gotten a thumbs up from Pitchfork. He's got a great feel for composing. This is from his latest album, A Church that Fits our Needs.

The bridge section where the vocals cut ou for a second is perfection.

So good.

One of Nick Cave's frequent collaborators, Warren Ellis' band Dirty Three. They're known for their very personal live shows. The song is called Furnace Skies and is from Toward the Low Sun from earlier this year.

Geographically close :tongue: This is a sister duo called First Aid Kit from Sweden, who got famous after they covered Tiger Moutain Peasant Song and Robin Pecknold posted it. Their album The Lion's Roar has been praised in Sweden and internationally, and it's produced by Mike Mogis of Bright Eyes. You should definitely give them a listen, they're incredible. I saw them at Øya this year, and they were one of the highlights. Their music is very mature, but the youngest sister is just a couple of years older than me (19 I think).

An early Elbow song, Coming Second from Asleep in the Back :awesome:

12. Slow raw acoustic one. And again so beautiful, I guess that some of the songs on this mixtape might be some of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. But yeah, no cons so far. My partner must have a wonderful taste

The vivid, hypnotic Spirits Abandonned by Six Organs of Admittance. This guy's one of my favorite guitarists, and is inspired by asian music amongst other things.

Haha!

The National - Baby, We'll Be Fine. A perfect song by a band who I love to death.

Canadian Timber Timbre - Demon Host. These guys are worth a listen

I always knew I wanted to place this last. This a nu-jazz group called Jaga Jazzist from Norway, consisting of amongst others Mathias Eick (one of the world's best trumpet players), and the Horntveth brothers, who along with Øystein Moen tour with Susanne Sudnfør (Lars Horntveth produced her first two albums and the Silicone Veil I think.) I saw them live this January and you can imagine how this sounded as a live closer :D

Anyway, it's called Oslo Skyline (or Tromsø Skyline, or probably whatever city they happen to be playing in at the time)-

Aw, thanks. :blush: and I think you did a much better job reviewing it than my original partner would have, so thanksm Fran, and better late than never.

Tracklist was already posted, but here it is again...

Mayday

2. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - As I Sat Sadly By Her Side (No More Shall We Part, 2001)

7. Lost in the Trees - Neither Here Nor There (A Church that Fits our Needs, 2012)

If anybody wants a link just send me a pm :)

I've seen her twice the last two years, and both times (once at a smaller venue, once at a festival) have been some of the greatest concerts I've been to. Can't hype her enough, and I'm happy to see Pitchfork and Uncut articles mentioning her :) You've got great taste, Fran!
Yussssss, I knew immediately it was that track when she described it as 'screaming synth enters' and „Mayday, mayday.“

I think it still is my favorite album of the year :heart:

The Shins - Sea Legs from 2007's Wincing the Night Away. If you've listened to Broken Bells, that might be where. I listened to this every day a period.
Great album. Wincing the Night Away is my fav of theirs. Definitely!

Male singer, acutally :anxious: This guy just graduated I think , but has already been on NPR and gotten a thumbs up from Pitchfork. He's got a great feel for composing. This is from his latest album, A Church that Fits our Needs.

The bridge section where the vocals cut out for a second is perfection.

:nod: It really is :nod: perfection

This is mine :) don't worry about it

There's definitely something almost sensual, maybe hypnotic about it, so saying foxy isn't wrong. A very unique mood, which I really enjoy, and Sam Beam is a great lyricist.

One of my favortie songs from one of my favorite albums, Iron & Wine - "House by the Sea" from The Shepards Dog.

This is a pretty good summary, I think. It does feel very genuine, and melancholic is the right word. This is Nick Cave's "As I sat Sadly by Her Side"

There's more going on here, instrumentally. A very dynamic song, and a very original one. There's a synth part toward the end of the song which I think is brilliant. St Vincent - "Paris is Burning"

This one came out last year. Inn of the Seventh Ray from Eleanor Friedberger's Last Summer. Ace album, with a bunch of catchy and well crafter songs, and yes, very elegant.

The bridge section where the vocals cut ou for a second is perfection.

So good.

One of Nick Cave's frequent collaborators, Warren Ellis' band Dirty Three. They're known for their very personal live shows. The song is called Furnace Skies and is from Toward the Low Sun from earlier this year.

Geographically close :tongue: This is a sister duo called First Aid Kit from Sweden, who got famous after they covered Tiger Moutain Peasant Song and Robin Pecknold posted it. Their album The Lion's Roar has been praised in Sweden and internationally, and it's produced by Mike Mogis of Bright Eyes. You should definitely give them a listen, they're incredible. I saw them at Øya this year, and they were one of the highlights. Their music is very mature, but the youngest sister is just a couple of years older than me (19 I think).

An early Elbow song, Coming Second from Asleep in the Back :awesome:

The vivid, hypnotic Spirits Abandonned by Six Organs of Admittance. This guy's one of my favorite guitarists, and is inspired by asian music amongst other things.

Haha!

The National - Baby, We'll Be Fine. A perfect song by a band who I love to death.

Canadian Timber Timbre - Demon Host. These guys are worth a listen

I always knew I wanted to place this last. This a nu-jazz group called Jaga Jazzist from Norway, consisting of amongst others Mathias Eick (one of the world's best trumpet players), and the Horntveth brothers, who along with Øystein Moen tour with Susanne Sudnfør (Lars Horntveth produced her first two albums and the Silicone Veil I think.) I saw them live this January and you can imagine how this sounded as a live closer :D

Anyway, it's called Oslo Skyline (or Tromsø Skyline, or probably whatever city they happen to be playing in at the time)-

Aw, thanks. :blush: and I think you did a much better job reviewing it than my original partner would have, so thanksm Fran, and better late than never.

Tracklist was already posted, but here it is again...

Mayday

If anybody wants a link just send me a pm :)

Woah, I'm surprised because I have heard of the majority of these artists. I'm really going to check them all now!

Especially The National. I can't believe I missed them last year when they played here in Croatia 2 concerts! :bomb:

Thank you for this tape!

Yussssss, I knew immediately it was that track when she described it as 'screaming synth enters' and „Mayday, mayday.“

I think it still is my favorite album of the year :heart:

Great album. Wincing the Night Away is my fav of theirs. Definitely!

:nod: It really is :nod: perfection

Haha, yes, The Silicone Veil is amazing. And oh, btw, it's he. :P