🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

The 12th Mixtape Exchange

djibou

HERE IS MY REVIEW GUYS

1. Great opener, the noises in the background of the intro reminded me of the XX's intro actually. I expected an instrumental, but the voice is definitely not too much in there, and it gives the track quite the eerie sound.

2. Kanye West! Not my kinda stuff, but I absolutely love the background piano bit. I think it could actually grow on me.

3. I like this onea lot. I don't understand a thing that's being said, but the music makes me move. What language is that? Portuguese? Anyway, lovely mix of instruments, great summer tune.

4. This track doesn't do much for me. I can't really dig it. The singer's got a lot of talent though, I can tell.

5. That sounds like Franz Ferdinand. I'm almost sure it's them. That's a very good song, I love the keyboard bit. Very 80's sounding.

6. Pink Floyd, eh? Time. Love that track, you might have missed it in my last.fm cause I mostly listen to it on vinyl when I do. The whole album is wonderful.

7. Ahh a classic! I haven't listened to it much myself, but it was on the radio a lot here. Blur's Beetlebum.

8. Green Day, amirite? My mom has this album and loves it hehe. Great transition track though.

9. here's one I haven't heard before, and I absolutely am in love with the intro. When the piano picks up, you can't help but tap your foot, it's perfect with the bass in the back. It has this Foster the People feeling in the chorus. Great discovery, thank you!

10. Ahh another song in a language I don't speak haha! It's nice. Not a highlight of the track, but it's not bad.

11. That is very nice.The singer's voice kinda sound like Kasabian's Tom Meighan, bt I don't think that's them. I like this one, one of my favourite on the tape!

12. Oooo unexpected! I love this a whole lot. Is that in Italian? And then the drums and the guitars pick up, again unexpectedly. Wow, possibly my favourite of the tape.

13. I love the guitars, so dreamy. It is a truly beautiful track, even though I can't understad the lyrics haha. Nice synths in the background too.

14. Ahh so many memories of high school behind this song. It was a hit here. Good Riddance by Green Day. Nice outro :)

Thanks partner, you definitely put some stuff on there I wouldn't normally listen to and I actually made some great discoveries! My favourites are tracks 3, 5, 6, 9, 11, 12 :heart:

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HERE IS MY REVIEW GUYS

1. Great opener, the noises in the background of the intro reminded me of the XX's intro actually. I expected an instrumental, but the voice is definitely not too much in there, and it gives the track quite the eerie sound. I wanted to start with a instrumental, it gives it an epic feeling, glad you like, and it's actually not an indie band, they just some guys from Ireland, maybe you've heard it before. It's U2 :P

2. Kanye West! Not my kinda stuff, but I absolutely love the background piano bit. I think it could actually grow on me. I love Kanye, i had to do it.

3. I like this onea lot. I don't understand a thing that's being said, but the music makes me move. What language is that? Portuguese? Anyway, lovely mix of instruments, great summer tune. It is portuguese indeed, I love this band, they have 3 great albums and are very famous around here, that song is not well known though.

4. This track doesn't do much for me. I can't really dig it. The singer's got a lot of talent though, I can tell. I thought you would recognize the band, it's a Beatle's song, I saw you had none on your last.fm, wanted to "introduce" them to you :)

5. That sounds like Franz Ferdinand. I'm almost sure it's them. That's a very good song, I love the keyboard bit. Very 80's sounding. It IS Franz, sorry if I made it too obvious.

6. Pink Floyd, eh? Time. Love that track, you might have missed it in my last.fm cause I mostly listen to it on vinyl when I do. The whole album is wonderful. Yeah you didn't had that many listenings, but I thought you would like it.

7. Ahh a classic! I haven't listened to it much myself, but it was on the radio a lot here. Blur's Beetlebum. That was a last minute adition, I just heard the song and remembered how much I loved it.

8. Green Day, amirite? My mom has this album and loves it hehe. Great transition track though. That was the idea, start the "second half".

9. here's one I haven't heard before, and I absolutely am in love with the intro. When the piano picks up, you can't help but tap your foot, it's perfect with the bass in the back. It has this Foster the People feeling in the chorus. Great discovery, thank you! It is foster the people :P, I love the track too, I saw you had only listened to a couple of singles, wanted to put a more different song from them.

10. Ahh another song in a language I don't speak haha! It's nice. Not a highlight of the track, but it's not bad. It's portuguese too, a kind of Indie band from my city :)

11. That is very nice.The singer's voice kinda sound like Kasabian's Tom Meighan, bt I don't think that's them. I like this one, one of my favourite on the tape! That's The Verve, the whole album Urban Hymns (the one that has Bitter Sweet Symphony) is awesome, you should listen to it :)

12. Oooo unexpected! I love this a whole lot. Is that in Italian? And then the drums and the guitars pick up, again unexpectedly. Wow, possibly my favourite of the tape. Portuguese again, sorry :P. But the album's title IS in Italian, so close. That's Pitty, she sings some more "rock" songs than this one but I agree, it sounds so different.

13. I love the guitars, so dreamy. It is a truly beautiful track, even though I can't understad the lyrics haha. Nice synths in the background too. Well, portuguese again, that's another indie band from my city, I went to one of their gigs last month and this song sounded awesome, glad you liked it :D

14. Ahh so many memories of high school behind this song. It was a hit here. Good Riddance by Green Day. Nice outro :) I wanted to finish in acoustic style, that song occured me :)

Thanks partner, you definitely put some stuff on there I wouldn't normally listen to and I actually made some great discoveries! My favourites are tracks 3, 5, 6, 9, 11, 12 :heart:

Sorry If I made it too obvious and mainstream, I entered the exachange to get to know new things actually. If you want to know what the brazilian songs lyrics are about just ask me (really, I'd love to do it) :D

So here's your tracklist and the album from each one:

1- U2 - Alex Descends into Hell for a Bottle of Milk/Korova 1 (B-side to The Fly)

2 - Kanye West ft. Kid Cudi - Welcome To Heartbreak (808s & Heartbreak)

3 - Skank - Garrafas (Carrossel)

4 - The Beatles - She's Leaving Home (Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band)

5 - Franz Ferdinand - Twilight Omens (Tonight: Franz Ferdinand)

6 - Pink Floyd - Time (The Dark Side Of The Moon)

7 - Blur - Beetlebum (Blur)

8 - Green Day - Song of the Century (21st Century Breakdown)

9 - Foster The People - Warrant (Torches)

10 - Pública - Long Plays (Polaris)

11 - The Verve - The Rolling People (Urban Hymns)

12 - Pitty - Água Contida (Chiaroscuro)

13 - Tópaz - Se For Pra Tudo Dar Errado (Onze Nós) (you can download their whole new album, wich has this track, on their site for free, go here: http://www.bandatopaz.com/ )

14 - Green Day - Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) (Nimrod)

PS: I'm still waiting for mine :bigcry:

Sorry If I made it too obvious and mainstream, I entered the exachange to get to know new things actually. If you want to know what the brazilian songs lyrics are about just ask me (really, I'd love to do it) :D

So here's your tracklist and the album from each one:

1- U2 - Alex Descends into Hell for a Bottle of Milk/Korova 1 (B-side to The Fly)

2 - Kanye West ft. Kid Cudi - Welcome To Heartbreak (808s & Heartbreak)

3 - Skank - Garrafas (Carrossel)

4 - The Beatles - She's Leaving Home (Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band)

5 - Franz Ferdinand - Twilight Omens (Tonight: Franz Ferdinand)

6 - Pink Floyd - Time (The Dark Side Of The Moon)

7 - Blur - Beetlebum (Blur)

8 - Green Day - Song of the Century (21st Century Breakdown)

9 - Foster The People - Warrant (Torches)

10 - Pública - Long Plays (Polaris)

11 - The Verve - The Rolling People (Urban Hymns)

12 - Pitty - Água Contida (Chiaroscuro)

13 - Tópaz - Se For Pra Tudo Dar Errado (Onze Nós) (you can download their whole new album, wich has this track, on their site for free, go here: http://www.bandatopaz.com/ )

14 - Green Day - Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) (Nimrod)

PS: I'm still waiting for mine :bigcry:

Oh, mainstream or not, it doesn't matter much, I still got to discover great stuff. I just downloaded their new album, will listen to it soon! Also, about the Beatles, I don't have any plays, not because I don't know their music (my dad's a big fan), but I might be an alien, because their music don't do it for me D:

Thank you very much! :D

Hi Mrk, I was your mixtape maker :) Thanks for your quick review!

Ok, I listened to my mixtape several times and here's my review:

Track 1: A very dynamic and "crazy" instrumental. Guitar riffs and synth lines creat a very interesting soundscape and it's a very good song to start a mixtape. Really liked it! :thumbsup: Surprisingly, this is a song by the Kaiser Chiefs. It was a hidden bonustrack on their latest album The Future Is Medieval, and it's called Howlaround. I thought it sounded really cool and would we a cool way to open the mixtape.

Track 2: A country song. It's not really my kind of stuff but it's not bad and I liked the harmonica solo. This is a short song by Frank Turner called Dan's Song. I've only gotten into his music last year, but he's been going for years and I really like it.

Track 3: Starts with a soft keyboard melody then it gradually builds until guitars explode during the chorus. I'm not really keen on the vocals (which language is it?) but they fit with the song's melody. One of my favorites of the mixtape :wacky: I'm very happy to see you like it, as it was a bit of an experiment to include something in a different language. This is a song by the Dutch band BLØF called Hoe Warmer De Zon. I really like this song and the way it builds, and it's amazing live!

Track 4: An acustic-y duet. I found it a bit too cheesy but overally very good and the "dreamy" guitars. This is by a young, very unknown UK singer called Thomas J Speight. This was on an EP of his that I bought a few years ago and I like it a lot. He's got a new one out since a month or so, if you liked it you should give it a try.

Track 5: Very powerfull, I liked the electric guitar+piano and the big synth layers riff and the voice sounds very familiar... Great! This is a song by Irish band Rams' Pocket Radio called 1+2. I saw them live two months ago, when they played as the support act for Snow Patrol. I really liked their music and bought their EP-set afterwards.

Track 6: At first is like a classic acustic ballad with only voice and guitar then piano kicks in and the then it culminates with an epic string arrangement at the end. I was afraid it was going to become boring as it progressed but it really suprised me. Another Dutch talent here. A singer-songwriter called Dazzled Kid. I really like his album, and went to see him play live last year. He was really good live, but sadly, he didn't play this song (which is my favourite).

Track 7: This sounds like Arctic Monkeys. I really liked the deep distorted guitar effect but it gets a bit boring after a while. This is a b-side by Kasabian called Pistols At Dawn. I was having a hard time deciding between this or another song of theirs (called Stuntman) and figured this would be the less 'hardcore' choice... didn't want to scare you off :P I quite like how the song turns about 180 degrees halfway through, to then build back up to the way it was at first.

Track 8: A nice and quite sad piano ballad. I didn't really like it at first but it grew on me and I think it's one of the highlights of the mixtape. This is a classic, A Long December by Counting Crows. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for them and this is one of my favourite songs.

Track 9: This sounds a bit too generic for me. I quite like the chorus but it didn't really hit me This one nearly didn't make it on, but I chose flow over quality here. I agree it's not the best thing on here, but it did help to bring the mixtape in the direction I wanted. It's called Nothing Between Us, and it's by the Dutch band Racoon.

Track 10: I love the minimalistic beat the strings and the piano on this one. It's a very "atmospheric" song. Great! This is my favourite song of 2010. I love the sparseness of it and indeed, the atmosphere in it. It's a very simple and beautiful song called State Of Our Affairs by Mt. Desolation. Mt. Desolation is a little side-project with band members of Keane, Mumford and Sons and The Killers.

Track 11: This has a very 60s vibe (quite reminds me of The Beatles for some reason) and the little choir during the chorus is awesome! Another great Dutch talent here. I put another song by him (Tim Knol) in my previous mixtape and it went down a storm! He's incredibly talented, and still very very young.

Track 12: This is quite weird. It's an indie rock song with a very "goofy" melody. This sounds very familiar too.... It definitely has a goofy feel. This is Minding My Own Business by Coconut Records. The album this is from, Nighttiming, has a lot of very different songs, making it one of those albums I can just listen to for hours.

Track 13: Ok, this is Sea Fog by Keane. I still haven't heard the whole Strangeland album but this is one of my favorite songs from it so far and a very good album (and mixtape :P) closer. Gonna agree with you there, it's a great closer! I watched them perform this at their Strangeland album launch in the UK and then again a few weeks later in Amsterdam. It's just incredibly beautiful and I love how little production seems to have went into the song.

Overally this mixtape was very good. My favorites are 1, 3, 8, 10 and 13. I wish there was a bit more variety but the music choice was awesome and it flowed very well, so, it has my seal of approval :thumbsup:

I'm glad you liked it! Sorry about the lack of variety, but this is mainly what I listen to (rock/pop). Again, thanks for your quick review. Here's a round-up of the tracklist:

1. Kaiser Chiefs - Howlaround (from The Future Is Medieval, 2011)

2. Frank Turner - Dan's Song (from Poetry of the Deed, 2009)

3. BLØF - Hoe Warmer De Zon (from Alles Blijft Anders, 2011)

4. Thomas J Speight - We Ain't Right (from Willow Tree, 2010)

5. Rams' Pocket Radio - 1+2 (from 1+2, 2012)

6. Dazzled Kid - Motorbike (from Fire Needs Air, 2011)

7. Kasabian - Pistols At Dawn (from Days Are Forgotten, 2011)

8. Counting Crows - A Long December (from Recovering The Satellites, 1996)

9. Racoon - Nothing Between Us (from Before You Leave, 2007)

10. Mt. Desolation - State Of Our Affairs (from Mt. Desolation, 2010)

11. Tim Knol - 1966 (from Days, 2011)

12. Coconut Records - Minding My Own Business (from Nighttiming, 2007)

13. Keane - Sea Fog (from Strangeland, 2012)

To my mixtape maker: I listened to a bit of it today and enjoyed that, and I hope I have the time to listen to it all this weekend :)

Hi Chris, I’m Marie, you’re mixtape maker, nice to meet you!

Yes, we don’t know each other on this forum : the only things I find and remember about you, when I was looking what music styles you like, are that we don't have similar music tastes, you like instrumental tracks and you are a reference in music matters here!

Okay, so lay-go!

1. Distorted guitar fuzz leads into pounding drums, multi-layered guitars and a shouting voice of the Foo Fighters variety. Won't lie, not a fan of this type of pop-rock singing. It was beaten out of me by the nausea of early 2000s pop radio. I applaud the different levels of the song. There's an added dimension to the chord progression, electric guitar and songwriting, but while I completely understand why you like this song (it's not unlike some songs I loved when I was 14

that's not intended as a diss, you could very well be older than me

), the type of emotional drive and feel that they're going for in the chorus is what would normally lead me to change the radio channel due to too many associations with Fall Out Boy, All-American Rejects etc.

It’s a young English band called The Cape Race and the song is 'Little Whites'. I’m aware this type of voice is not liked by everyone, sorry it made you remember bad music memories :D Yeah, some of my music tastes are, indeed, labeled as teenager music but I don’t care :D (I’m 26 by the way ;))

2. Synths, children shouting and school bells lead into a warm, buzzy electro-pop song. I def. like the singer's voice. Something strangely nostalgic about hearing songs with such an emphasis on a dramatic chorus. Something really exciting about the unpretentiousness of it. Solid timbres, beat, progression, melody, bridge etc.. And I'm tapping my feet. Mission accomplished.

I will say though that I had some concerns about the audio quality, I don't know if it was ripped from somewhere, but it feels slightly distant/staticky.

Sorry about the audio quality :(: it sounded fine on my laptop and maybe because I know the song I didn’t notice the default!

It’s a German band called Polarkreis 18 and the song is called 'The Colour Of Snow'.

Here is the song which made me discover the band,

3.Mechanical, clunky synths/drum sounds lead into an ominous 4-chord progression, then strings. Feels like the soundtrack for an exotic action film. Interesting keyboards fade in and out. More action movie strings....Fun enough.

I see it more for an thriller/horror movie but well, maybe it’s the music style of the band which is influencing me (they’re labeled as an indus/metal/gothic band). It’s 'Zero Endorphine', an instrumental not a soundtrack (the only soundtrack they made, from what I know, is a song for Alien vs. Predator 2), from a German band called Oomph!.

4.Now a woman's voice with some inspiring messages. Beat picks up, and verses are repeated with more intensity. Now a male harmony. Okay so far, I like the progression. I can dig this. Like before, the audio still feels a bit tinny, but no bother, might just be me.

Ouch, another audio problem, I should have listened to my mix on something else that my computer (I keep that in mind for another mixtape exchange) :\ Sorry again!

It’s an English band called Kankouran (feat. Evelyn Burke) with 'Rivers'. They’re a young band like The Cape Race but are more 'famous' because this song featured the tv show 'Skins' (yeah I also watch tv shows aimed for teenagers :D). They recently did a live version of the song without the female voice and I found it brilliant!

5."I used to live nearby a chocolate river. I tried to fish your lips with my tongue tongue tongue tongue!" :blank:

Crunchy guitar 5ths and a coarse, accented male voice. Also a tremoloed violin. Oh, and a girl, reminding me what she also tried to do with her tongue. Then the chorus lands and I cringe. They want me to shake something, but it's altogether a bit annoying:lol:. Sorry.

You noticed the accent which is French :D So it’s a French band called Dionysos and the song is 'Lips Story In A Chocolate River'. The singer who is also the main writer has a particular world and writing style. He is also a book writer and some songs are inspired by his books. I don’t think this one was.

6. Smooth acoustic chords running to 6th, 7th, and back again. Pleasant voice. Lovely chorus. Yep nice little song, thanks for this!

It’s another French band called Revolver and the song is 'Parallel Lives'. This also has another version (

), more up-beat, pop-rock. I prefer the acoustic one, which is from an EP.

7.Street audio leads into a rough acoustic (then electric) diddy. "Don't Tell Me!..." Neutral on the verse, but I def. like the subtle harmony and warm chorus chords. All quite playful, not bad.

A French band again: Hey Hey My My with 'Don’t Sell Me Now'.

What’s a diddy? (my dictionaries weren't very helpful!) Is it a musical note? (I’m not a musician.).

8.Crunching distorted 5ths. Off the back, not liking it. More of the over-the top rock stuff that just doesn't suit my ears, though I fully respect your putting it on the tape...Yeah, going nowhere for me. Least favorite so far, unfortunately.

It’s a German band called Beatsteaks with 'Hello Joe’, a song to pay tribute to Joe Strummer from The Clash. They make sort of punk-rockish songs.

9.Ooh, Guitar, Mandolin playing a waltz rythm...and a lovely little duet harmony. I like this! A real sea shanty vibe...Thanks!

It’s a duet between Johnny Flynn and Laura Marling, both English. 'The Water' is extract from Johnny Flynn’s album 'Been Listening'. It was one of my favourite song on the last mixtape exchange I participate in.

I discovered this artist with this song so I can't put a link to another of his song here :D

10.Soft drone leads into tastefully plucked guitar harmony. Love the beginning, and a soft, earnest male voice enters...followed by violin accompaniment. The obligatory male/female duet harmony again lol. Now drums enter, and it picks up with a cheesy but lovable horns bridge. And an early fade out. Really liked this actually.

A French band called Jil Is Lucky with 'Winter Is Over'. The female voice is present in some songs of the album this song is extracted from.

11.Ominous/atmospheric lead in with synths, echoey noises and an odd mixture of timbres. Alas, an instrumental. All great in my book. Thanks.

It’s Depeche Mode, an English band, with 'Introspectre'. I think their name and music style is pretty well known worldwide.

12.Tommy drums leads into a demonic voice with appropriate synths. She hopes I'm satisfied, but I'm still waiting for it to go somewhere. The chords move around to make it interesting, but not sold on the melody or voice. Unique, but forgettable (if that's even possible)

It’s a French artist called Emilie Simon with 'Song Of the Storm' extract from a soundtrack of a movie. I’ve hesitated with another song of hers but I found this one went better with the flow of the mix. She also creates instrumental tracks.

Check, please. Sounds like a bad high-school garage band jam session. But it cuts off for the entrance of a new beat, fingered bass and some warmer chords. I like the accompaniment during the chorus, though I'm neutral on the voice. Fine guitar. Guitars get distorted and less interesting during the second chorus. Not bad in parts, but can't put it on my 'favorites' list. Yup, end gets steadily worse imho.

Yeah, the end, not everyone’s taste :D

This band play various music styles in one album, I wonder how they classify them in stores and such! Maybe you know

, totally different style but same band! It’s an Icelandic band called Agent Fresco and this song is 'Above These City Lights’. The
of it is nicely done! This band is a big 'coup de coeur' (can be translated by favourite) of mine for several months now!

14.Haha. Okay, a musical worthy piano ballad. Works better not to take guy's voice too seriously. Piano and string arrangement is quite nice actually, but I have to imagine him on broadway dressed in some ridiculous costume to feel it. The melody and chords during the verse and ending are really very enjoyable. Its the power-ballad vibe of the chorus (cheesy 80s guitar solo is insult to injury) that's kind of off-putting. Can't help but like it though.

I thought you might recognize the band: the voice of Axl Rose from Guns N’ Roses is not as famous/recognizable as I thought. The reference to a musical made me laugh! But it's not part of a musical! It’s maybe too much but I’m not tired of listening to it :D It was a favourite of mine during another mixtape exchange. So Guns N’ Roses with 'This I Love'.

15. Last song. Groovy little synth arrangement. Looks to be an instrumental closer. Electric drums enter. I definitely like this one. A funky arrangement of timbres and noises. Yup, dig this. And....we're done.

Again from Oomph!, 'Serotonin'. They did some instrumental songs on their not so recent albums (they have around 10 albums or so)

queso, thanks for the all the work and trouble that went into making this mixtape. The first thing I loved was how alien most of it was to some of my own taste, such that I know I would never have incidentally heard these songs otherwise. That experience alone made this tape a success for me. The fact that I really liked a bunch of songs is a bonus.

I would have to say that 2, 6, 7, 9, and 10 were definitely my favorites. Though I also loved the little instrumental interludes intermingled throughout. Though I may or may not 'know' you (in any sense of the word), I feel like this mix did a great job of a. having a coherent sound insofar as I feel like I know something concrete about your taste in music. and b. providing a nice flow and variety that kept me from getting bored.

So, I raise my glass to you. cheers.gif Thanks again!

Waouh what a conclusion-compliment, thanks so much :blush: I’m glad my alien mixtape was a good experience for you and that on top of that you had few favourites :D

I definitely like your writing style (I think I get everything, and learnt some new English words :D, except the some musical terms (like the 6th, 7th). The only instrument I played and learnt some terms for was the flute in school 10 years ago and I forgot it all :lol:). Describing sounds with words is not easy and you did it well, plus you added some humorous sentences here and there! Do you write for musical papers or musical websites or something like that and are you musician too?

If you're intersted and have time to look it up:

- I put an extra video (the songs which made me discover the bands) on the songs you liked more to make you discover more from the bands.

- here is a list of the albums of Oomph!, some of which have instrumentals on it.

- here is a list of the instrumentals of Depeche Mode.

And to finish my long post (sorry about that!), here is the tracklisting:

[Title of the track – Artist (Name of the album, EP, single)]

1. Little Whites – The Cape Race (Now, Voyager)

2. The Colour Of Snow – Polarkreis 18 (The Colour Of Snow)

3. Zero Endorphine – Oomph! (Unrein)

4. Rivers – Kankouran feat. Evelyn Burke (Rivers Single)

5. Lips Story In A Chocolate River – Dionysos (Monsters In Love)

6. Parallel Lives – Revolver (Parallel Lives EP)

7. Don’t Sell Me Now – Hey Hey My My (Hey Hey My My)

8. Hello Joe – Beatsteaks (Smack Smash)

9. The Water – Johnny Flynn feat. Laura Marling (Been Listening)

10. Winter Is Over – Jil Is Lucky (Jil Is Lucky)

11. Introspectre – Depeche Mode (Playing The Angel)

12. Song Of The Storm – Emilie Simon (La Marche De l’Empereur Soundtrack)

13. Above These City Lights – Agent Fresco (A Long Time Listening)

14. This I Love – Guns N’ Roses (Chinese Democracy)

15. Serotonin – Oomph! (Ego)

EDIT: If you like to listen to it, leave me a pm and I will re-upload it (the file was deleted) ;)

And, mixtape maker, I have not forgotten you ;) I've downloaded your mixtape from my e-mail address and then forgot to come here to say it, sorry. I've already listened to the mix a few times but I like to listen to it a few more times before posting a review, so it will surely be next week! I hope you don't mind waiting ;)

Wow, you listen to various music styles :nice: I'm curious to read the review of the mixtape you created :D And I read your review and have to say that I like your writing style too!

Oomph! is a band I really like! Keep on listening to them, they made some great songs! Are we the only one who listen to them here? I never looked it up!

By the way, their new album will be released the 18th of May, so soon! But the [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSjInIng6hE]first single[/ame], although it's catchy, was a bit disappointing for me, let hope the rest of the album is better!

Heh, thanks. :nice: I try to remain openminded when it comes to music. As for the review, I just tend to write what I think.

Anyway, it'll take me a while to get through their discography, but I'm willing to take the time. I'm spending some quality time with "GlaubeLiebeTod" at the moment. I heard about the new album via a different forum. I'll definitely look into it. :D

Hi Chris, I’m Marie, you’re mixtape maker, nice to meet you!

Yes, we don’t know each other on this forum : the only things I find and remember about you, when I was looking what music styles you like, are that we don't have similar music tastes, you like instrumental tracks and you are a reference in music matters here!

Waouh what a conclusion-compliment, thanks so much :blush: I’m glad my alien mixtape was a good experience for you and that on top of that you had few favourites :D

I definitely like your writing style (I think I get everything, and learnt some new English words :D, except the some musical terms (like the 6th, 7th). The only instrument I played and learnt some terms for was the flute in school 10 years ago and I forgot it all :lol:). Describing sounds with words is not easy and you did it well, plus you added some humorous sentences here and there! Do you write for musical papers or musical websites or something like that and are you musician too?

Aww, thanks! No, I don't get paid to write (I should :dozey: ), but I do play a bit. The 6th-7th part was just talking about the musical chords I heard. "Diddy" is just another word for song, or tune.

If you're intersted and have time to look it up:

- I put an extra video (the songs which made me discover the bands) on the songs you liked more to make you discover more from the bands.

- here is a list of the albums of Oomph!, some of which have instrumentals on it.

- here is a list of the instrumentals of Depeche Mode.

haha, wow. Thanks for these! It's cool that you took the time to find these instrumentals for me. I like a lot of Depeche Mode songs, but I never took time to listen to a whole album. I think I might do that now. I also like how many of the bands on the mix were from central europe, as I know very few bands from that area.

Hi Mrk, I was your mixtape maker :) Thanks for your quick review!

I'm glad you liked it! Sorry about the lack of variety, but this is mainly what I listen to (rock/pop). Again, thanks for your quick review. Here's a round-up of the tracklist:

1. Kaiser Chiefs - Howlaround (from The Future Is Medieval, 2011)

2. Frank Turner - Dan's Song (from Poetry of the Deed, 2009)

3. BLØF - Hoe Warmer De Zon (from Alles Blijft Anders, 2011)

4. Thomas J Speight - We Ain't Right (from Willow Tree, 2010)

5. Rams' Pocket Radio - 1+2 (from 1+2, 2012)

6. Dazzled Kid - Motorbike (from Fire Needs Air, 2011)

7. Kasabian - Pistols At Dawn (from Days Are Forgotten, 2011)

8. Counting Crows - A Long December (from Recovering The Satellites, 1996)

9. Racoon - Nothing Between Us (from Before You Leave, 2007)

10. Mt. Desolation - State Of Our Affairs (from Mt. Desolation, 2010)

11. Tim Knol - 1966 (from Days, 2011)

12. Coconut Records - Minding My Own Business (from Nighttiming, 2007)

13. Keane - Sea Fog (from Strangeland, 2012)

To my mixtape maker: I listened to a bit of it today and enjoyed that, and I hope I have the time to listen to it all this weekend :)

Oh, no problem, I discovered lots of great music and I didn't know there were so many good dutch bands! :wacko:

So, it was Kaiser Chiefs. That's quite strange, because I usually dislike them :surprised:

I promised to myself that I would listen to the Mt Desolation album but I haven't been sure about it until now.

I'm definitely going to check more from BLØF and Tim Knol :)

^ I know, I'm anxious, forgive me :shame: (and you can call me Rafael, or Rafa if you want :) )

and, @violetsparks :hug:

alright, Rafa, you can call me Marie! :D

and btw your partner is at the moment getting your mixtape ready :wacko:

I finally got around to the mix here we go...

Track 1: Begins with reverb heavy guitars and a light and airy feel to the song as the drums kick in. The vocals finally come in and fit in perfectly. The bass is really good with this song. The vocals sound familiar but I can't seem to put my finger on it. Great way to start off the mix!

Track 2: It sounds like T.Rex. I don't really listen to T.Rex much but I could tell because of the vocals. I really like the overall rhythm of this song with not only the bongos and guitar, but the vocal rhythm working along the guitars and bongos.

Track 3: Opens with a beautiful piano and simple chords. The song is very somber sounding, but the chords are really nice. The piano chords soon fade out at one point and there's subtle strings that seem to build the tension up in making you feel something is going to happen. Next enters in cello which makes this song sound like something out of a movie or tv soundtrack like Lost.

Track 4: Song transitions perfectly from the piano of the previous song. The guitar picking sounds really good, but I'm not a fan of the vocals. However as the song progresses futher I become more and more used to them. I really like this song.

Track 5: Another song with acoustic guitar. The vocals sound a bit familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. I do really like the melody of the song especially when the drums come in, really catchy melody.

Track 6: David Bowie! I know this song! Not sure if I was ever a fan of this song but I like a lot of Bowie's work, and this is nice to listen to after a while.

Track 7: I like this song really catchy! One of my favorites on the mix. I reminds me of Caveman.

Track 8: The vocals sound very familiar in this song as well. I don't know if I know who the artist is but I feel I've heard of them before. Not sure if I'm a huge fan of the song, but it's not terrible.

Track 9: Sounds like T Rex again, and from the same album as track 2 from the mix with the rhythmic guitar, bongos and vocals. Not a huge fan of this song to be honest.

Track 10: Definitely sounds like it's from the 80's haha! Once again I feel I know this band but I can't put my finger on it. Is it maybe The Cure?

Track 11: Another Bowie song! it feels it's from one of his recent albums perhaps Heathen or something. I remember there was a song or two I heard from one of those albums that was similar sounding to this. I do enjoy this song though!

Track 12: I like the arrangement of this song in how it's airy. It kind of feels like it might be M83 or something. I really like the song!

Track 13: I like the drums and the guitars, not sure if I like the backing vocals though. The song then completely changes rhythm which is a bit inexpected. I do like the overall arrangement of the song and then how it goes back to the beginning of how the song started. I'm curious to know who this is

Track 14: Starts very mellow, I really like the tone and tempo of the song so far. It's very relaxing. Though it's very simple it's one of my favorites off the mix

Track 15: Yet David Bowie again! This person must really like bowie! haha! The piano is very nice especially w/ bowie's vocals. I haven't heard this song by bowie but it's good!

Track 16: Last song of the mix, the vocals yet again sound familiar. I do like this song, it's kind of simple sounding, but that's a good thing.

Overall I really enjoyed the mix! The first 1/2 of it I definitely enjoyed more, but it was good. My favorite tracks were: 1,3, 5, 7, 12, 14

Thanks for whomever made my mix!

Review! (I suck at reviews so apologies in advance!)

01. "We're setting fires to our insides for fun" I liked the simple guitarin' it started off with and the build up is nice. The lyrics are great, too. Loved it!! "And if you're in love, you're the lucky one because most of us are bitter over someone..." UGH. I love this song so much so so much BRB CRYING.

02. Simple acoustic arrangement, nice folksy/pop vibes. Love the guy's voice. Very pretty :)

03. Hmmm, the guys voice is not exactly my cup of tea. It's not terribly bad! The voice is something that makes or breaks it for me. The song is alright, but there's something I don't enjoy about the it. Hmm. Not bad.

04. Spanishy folk music but I don't understand the lyrics? Hahaha, which is fine! The voices together sound really pretty. :3

05. Life's too short to even care at all! This song is nice :)

06. Spanish! Fun, summery, music. Me gusta! When it comes to music in Spanish I am terribly, terribly picky, I must confess but this isn't half bad!

07. This song didn't particularly stand out. It wasn't bad, and I love the line "everyday I'm sitting in the ballroom of our bro-ken hearts"

08. Is this... Calle 13?!?! I don't have a very in depth education on their music but I hear songs by them here and there. I love love their songs, just everything about it the music, the lyrics. The lyrics. :')

09. The Shrine / An Argument. This song fucking owns, man. Fleet Foxes is one of my top 5 bands. I highly, HIGHLY approve of this choice!!!! :DDDD

10. Go Do! I love Jonsi so much. This song always makes me feel like going on adventures and conquering the world. A very grand and beautiful way to close off a mixtape :-)))

-------

Overrall, this mixtape was very enjoyable!! There are a a couple songs there that are a bit meeh, but overall very good. I love the throw of Spanish in there. Thank you so much!!

WOOOOOOOOOOO

1. Interesting intro to the mix. I really like the vocals, kinda reminds me of Melody Day - Caribou...this is pretty cool, it didn't really jump out at me though (then it again it shouldn't have to)

2. oooh, preetty instrumental :cheesy: really liked this. interested to see who it is.

3. great drums! this has a really interesting sound. nice subtle vocals. I really really like this!

4. another pretty instrumental!! coool stuff

5. this is cool. I really like the production. harmlesss...I don't really have much to say. I like it tho

6. another pretty instrumental? you're doing well mixtape maker. This is really nice.

7. didn't really like this one. pretty poppy + indie-y...i dunno. a little too cheesy.

8. ANOTHER PRETTY INSTUMENTAL! this one feels different to the others though. sounds like some hip female vocalist should start singing. that never happens though, which is good...really great guitar in the middle

9. HEYYY!!!

10. is it pretty instrumental time again? you got me all excited with that daft punk! this is niceeee. cool basss. ohh and the guitar at the end! v good

11. this reminds me of 90s U2...which is a good thing in some ways...I like it.

12. the vocals in the background remind me of Pogo. This is really really nice. wish a beat would come in though :(

13. hmm, not sure about this one. I don't like the vocals, or that arpeggiated synth really. it starts to get interesting around the 1:50 mark...nice little outro too. A cool way to end the tape!

thank you mixtape maker!!! I applaud you for using things I'd never heard before. well, except for Daft Punk but if the whole tape had been Daft Punk I would have been happy so...There are a few songs on here that I'd really like to check out.

THANK YOU!