✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay singer

coldgame

Hello!

I wonder if there is anyone who can answer me this question which is in my head for at least a week now.

I know Chris Martin is a great singer and I´m very happy he is doing it but what I don´t know is that how they decided that it will be him to be the singer(because Will is also great at singing). I searched internet for answer but no luck, I´ve seen a comment somewhere that Chris drew the short straw and so he had to be the singer but I don´t believe this...

So the question is how the band decided who will be the singer?

Thank you for the answer

I haven't read this anywhere but was there ever this discussion between the band in those early days? I guess Chris was always meant to be the frontman as he wrote the lyrics and Will joined to be the drummer (I think I even read somewhere that he didn't play the drums and started to play the instrument just to join the band). And until the X&Y era (I think) all the other band members were really shy about singing. Fix you was the turning point if I recall correctly.

I think there is an interview where Chris says he tried not being the lead singer once when he was young (I don't know who sang instead) and it didn't work for him. He said he's an attention seeker so he needed to be the frontman.

You can see it in interviews and acceptance speeches too, he always sort of claims the spotlight. It's in his nature.

^This. Chris just couldn't not be the frontman.

And, anyway, the band was formed by Chris & Jonny in the first place, writing stuff together, Chris being the singer, then quickly Guy joined as the bass player and then Will joined because they needed a drummer and he tried it because his roommate, who was supposed to audition, missed the appointment ( :laugh3: ). So, it's not like it was decided, it just happened to be that way. :)

and then Will joined because they needed a drummer and he tried it because his roommate, who was supposed to audition, missed the appointment ( :laugh3: ).

Wow thats one of those things that could have completely changed everything if the original roommate had made the audition and thus was a member of Coldplay instead of Will... :shocked2: mind = BLOWN. D:

Coldplay without Will Champion?! I get the feeling that this entire forum wouldn't be here right now if that had been the case...

^ I wonder how Will's roommate feels about that, looking back :lol:

I've often wondered about that guy as well. The story is that he went out for a pint? :lol:

Also, Will jokes that he always wanted to join the band but was shun by the evil 3, whereas Chris had no idea that Will (the boy as he called him in this particular documentary) wanted to join.

The most endearing thing for me is that the 4 were just friends to begin with. Will and Jonny went to see this gig and it's Will who got the info from that particular venue b/c he knew his 3 friends were trying to get a gig of their own. Such a selfless act!

Hello!

I wonder if there is anyone who can answer me this question which is in my head for at least a week now.

I know Chris Martin is a great singer and I´m very happy he is doing it but what I don´t know is that how they decided that it will be him to be the singer(because Will is also great at singing). I searched internet for answer but no luck, I´ve seen a comment somewhere that Chris drew the short straw and so he had to be the singer but I don´t believe this...

So the question is how the band decided who will be the singer?

Thank you for the answer

Hmmmmmm, your username sounds vaguely familiar :P

I wanted to be helpful and all but all of these little facts about Coldplay have completely escaped my long-term memory :disappointed:

You people are way too tolerant/nice. I just want to tell the guy who started this thread he's stupid.

Why? It's a good question.

I saw a thread called Coldplay singer by a guy called coldgame and I assumed it was that weird guy, but since it's not, As far as I know Coldplay or whatever they were called at first was started with Chris as vocals and Will did it join until a little later.

I just couldn't imagine Coldplay putting their names or even 'vocals' 'drummer' 'guitarist' 'bassist' into a hat and taking turns to pick them out, then being like 'and now our band is complete!' or something lmfao!

ˆ

Yeah, I don't think that's how it happens.

Things just flow, naturally.

^ I wonder how Will's roommate feels about that, looking back :lol:

LOL he could probably write a book about it, like 'The Story of How I Was Almost A Member of Coldplay' or something :p

ˆ

Yeah, I don't think that's how it happens.

Things just flow, naturally.

lmao yeah I know things don't just go like that, since talent comes naturally to people anyway too!

I do like Will's singing, a lot. And I know he's just as talented as Chris. But I think it takes more than having a great voice to be a leading man in a massive band like Coldplay.

In fact, this is a little off topic and creepy, but recently I dreamt Chris died (I know, terrible!). The band still wanted to go on, but hiring a new front man wasn't an option, so Will became leading man and they hired a new guy for the drums.