✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Do you speak English as a second language?

funkenstein

Then I would love to hear from you!

I am interested in languages and I am also studying to teach English as a second/additional language to non-native speakers.

As part of my studies I need to interview someone who has learnt English as a second/additional language, and it would help if you have moved to an English speaking country. If you would be interested in helping me, I have some questions relating to your experiences in learning the language, both from a linguistic and socio-cultural perspective.

All the information will remain confidential and I will collect your answers from the questions to write a report on your experiences and the difficulties that you faced in learning English.

If you are interested PM me and I will send you the list of questions. There are quite a number of them, but they shouldn’t be difficult to answer.

If you are able to do this I would be so grateful!! I love hearing about peoples experiences!

English is my second language, I think ... (Dutch is first) but I have never moved to an English speaking country. Only for holidays I've been to England/Ireland/USA. Is that good enough?

You can send me the list of questions if you want/if I qualify :)

I found this the most rewarding and interesting part of my teacher training (for the same qualification I think) :)

I'd say you will most definitely benefit hugely from finding someone to conduct the interview with face-to-face. Obviously the interview needs to be spoken rather than through text, because a lot of problems non-native speakers have aren't apparent through writing. Even on the phone you may miss some.

E.g. my interview was with a native Thai lady. She had the typical Thai difficulty of pronouncing any 's' at the end of a word (it's been a long time since I studied so I can't remember if this is all sounds at the ends of words or mainly an 's').

Even when she was certain she was pronouncing it, to the listener it wasn't audible enough in English - that's how different perceptions of language can be.

I can't remember the name of the book, but there's one that covers the major problems learners from different backgrounds have (pronunciation/grammar/culture/etc). It's probably published by Oxfrod or Cambridge and is absolutely priceless if you want to guarantee a top grade for your assignment.

It's also an amazing book for whichever country you decide to go and teach in. Or, if staying at home and teaching mixed nationalities, it will help you become a better teacher almost immediately by understanding why some students in a class have problems with some things more than others :)

Good luck, and please feel free to PM me with any questions if I don't check back on here :)

it doesn't count if it's your third language eh?[/color]

It's a second language not the second language. You don't need to rank them after the first! You have your 'first' language and then any second or 'additional' languages - the OP did say that! :)

Oh and you have learned your IPA? That will help you hugely also - the different sounds between English (or even regional variations) and other languages.

I suppose it depends what you want to do - just to pass the entry-level certificate as a teacher (easy - probably 95%+ of candidates) get a 'B' grade (around 20% I think) or get an 'A' (quite tough - about 5% got this when I qualified).

It's so easy to pass that if you want to stand out from the crowd aim for a 'B' at least.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...