✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kids on a leash

Imke

Okay, I've seen this a few times both in the States and the UK: Parents going around town with their kid on a leash.

It doesn't seem that big of a deal over there, but let's just say that it looked pretty pretty strange to me. I'd actually expect a public outcry here if someone walked around with their kid on a leash. :P

So ... is this normal ... or is this just for lazy parents ... and should you actually put your kid on a leash like you do with a dog? Questions and more questions.

447234664_08e5d3cb30_o.jpg

I haven't posted a new thread in ages.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This happens a lot in England too.

I was put on a harness/leash thing as a child because we lived on a main road at the time and I had a habit of running off a lot when we where walking up to town.

So it was mainly a safety thing.

ahh yes. the good ole leash.

I didn't have one, but my brother did. But he was the kind of child that kept running off. I think they're good, especially for children like that. It allows the child to walk about by themselves but you don't have to keep running after them.

So it's actually considered normal?! Because here it's more likely to confuse people (to put it nicely) ... you could also say outrage, haha.

People might think you've got a weird kink or something lol

No really, it looks fucking weird

I never actually see those sorts of harnesses used here (with just simple straps), but they are used here. However the leash is attached to a backpack the kid wears.

Also it usually has some soft or fluffy covering over the strap bit

They're only used till the toddler is old enough to realise that running in front of a car has bad consequences.

I don't think either of my sisters had a harness so it just depends on the child's likeliness to roam. :lol:

I think the main issue is that it looks like you're treating your child like a dog. But unless the leesh was around the child's neck, I personally dont have a problem with people using it in a sensible way. Im sure theres going to be some videos of horrible parents dragging their children across the floor.

But I think the fact it keeps the child safe and close to you without having to hold their hand constantly outweighs the fact it looks like a leash.

I certainly don't have any psychological issues from wearing a leash when I was younger anyway :P

Yeah, I do get the point with running off and that it's safer. However, my brother was a rather active kid as well (I wasn't really slow either) and we never wore a leash although we lived on a busy main street while growing up. So there is a way to do it without leash.

I'm not saying it's necessarily traumatising, but it just seems super-weird to me. :uhoh:

i was never put on a leash, i didn't grow up in a busy city, so if i was going to run anywhere, it was to my best friends' house down the road. I think that putting your kid on a leash is weird but i get the point of using it at busy places like cities or amusement parks.

I think its perfectly fine for toddlers, and at least if you are not treating them as a dog or animal

Unlike this mom: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Btzh_KuFI]What Would You Do?-Mom Puts Kids on Leash - YouTube[/ame]

This appeared on the American Primetime TV show "What Would You Do?", I love that show :D

I'd actually expect a public outcry here if someone walked around with their kid on a leash. :P

:nod:

Kids on leashs??? That's weird, never seen it, feels a bit abusive for me, if you want to keep the child close why don't just take him/her by the hand??

:nod:

Kids on leashs??? That's weird, never seen it, feels a bit abusive for me, if you want to keep the child close why don't just take him/her by the hand??

That's what I keep thinking.