✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay/Keane/Muse trends.

rafaelchampion

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld
I'm not gonna read this whole thread but did someone seriously say Coldplay invented crowd shots? :laugh3:

Seriously, crowd photos being posted by bands online has been around since at least the beginning of Myspace and probably way earlier.

And yeah, Muse live beats the crap out of Coldplay live. Lots of bands are better live than Coldplay. Coldplay is good live, but not mindblowing. (And no, I haven't seen them this tour, which I've heard is more about flashy screens than anything else.)

Errr no.

Coldplay are a lot more authentic live, much more enjoyable and actually just a lot more memorable. For starters look at Muse's 2010 Glastonbury performance and compare it with Coldplay's 2011 performance. One was mind numbingly boring while the other stole the show (clearly not Muse). If I want to watch Muse live I'll just pop U2 Zoo TV Live on the dvd player. Don't get me wrong they are good but not as good as people like you make them out to be. They just seem like a bastardised hybrid of Queen and U2.

(also having to address the "crowd shot" comment wherever it is? Is it worthy of a valid response? We're not quite in that position where we need a historian to tell us the accuracy of the whole situation. It really goes without saying doesn't it?)

Take a listen to what's playing on the radio and take a look the most recent music videos, everything is colorful and synthesised, it's a trend on today's music. Keane saw it before Coldplay and put it into their music.

Hmmmm, I don't think so. PS kind of sounded "outdated" in some part and doesn't have a lot to do with the sound of most nowadays music.

Actually, I always had the impression that Keane, on PS, pratically took the most clichè-ish '80s sounds and (horribly) mixed it with their own.

But it's an album that, unlike Hopes and Fears, and especially Under the Iron Sea, it makes you feel happy a light. They were just trying to have fun after their last album, which was kind of a dark time for them, and they also wanted to experiment. Even if it sounds a little cheesy, I still love it. The lyrics are deep. And I think they, in Strangeland, tried to combine a bit of the Perfect Symmetry sound into their "return" to their older sound. Although it's hard to find, Neon River is the best example of that. I understand how people don't like Perfect Symmetry, but I'm still in live with Spiralling, Better Than This, You Haven't Told Me Anything, Again and Again, Perfect Symmetry, and You Don't See Me. The other songs though...not so much.

Strangeland is hard to "fall in love with". It, besides Sovereign Light Cafe, The Starting Line, Sea Fog, Strangeland (on the deluxe edition), and a small handful of others that don't start with 'S', it is quite dull, isn't it? I hope it isn't their last album though. It would be a shame. It almost sounds like it could be. It's an album about looking back at how far they've come.

Great, now I'm worried. :worried2: what if this is their last? :cry2:

Disconnected is okay, but I like the version they did on the Great Wall of China better than the album version. I didn't like the video for it, either. I prefer music videos that I can feel comfortable watching without some of the.....well, you know...I like completely clean music videos.

Keane fan here.

I have a couple of things to say.

About the live performances issue, I've seen Keane 4 times. I have never seen Muse but it's something that I reaaaaally wish to do (they're my favourite band after Keane). And I've never seen Coldplay live and don't plan to (I don't like them that much).

BUT there's something that we have to notice: great spectacle with flashing lights doesn't equal a good concert. Maybe a good show, but not a good concert. Let's not forget everything's about the music. Keane are EXCELLENT live. Better than on the album. Tom's voice is flawless and they're all so energetic. But then they don't have lasers or huge balloons on stage. I'm not saying Keane are better live than Coldplay or Muse, I'm just saying that we should judge by the music. To me it's Muse > Keane > Coldplay.

Second thing, I really like Perfect Symmetry. I think it's a great album. Just because it's different to everything else they've done doesn't mean it's bad. I'm sure it would have been a massive hit if it was the debut album of a new band. I really like Strangeland too (better than PS) but I don't think it is as good or as creative as PS was.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Keane fan here.

About the live performances issue, I've seen Keane 4 times. I have never seen Muse but it's something that I reaaaaally wish to do (they're my favourite band after Keane). And I've never seen Coldplay live and don't plan to (I don't like them that much).

BUT there's something that we have to notice: great spectacle with flashing lights doesn't equal a good concert. Maybe a good show, but not a good concert. Let's not forget everything's about the music. Keane are EXCELLENT live. Better than on the album. Tom's voice is flawless and they're all so energetic. But then they don't have lasers or huge balloons on stage. I'm not saying Keane are better live than Coldplay or Muse, I'm just saying that we should judge by the music. To me it's Muse > Keane > Coldplay.

Second thing, I really like Perfect Symmetry. I think it's a great album. Just because it's different to everything else they've done doesn't mean it's bad. I'm sure it would have been a massive hit if it was the debut album of a new band. I really like Strangeland too (better than PS) but I don't think it is as good or as creative as PS was.

Keane are fantastic and have some incredible tunes but on balance I think Coldplay absolutely destroys the competition when it comes to tunes. There show is a relentless hit after hit after hit. Not even U2 after 5 albums had the same catalogue of smash hits in their live setlist (although U2 are for me the ultimate band on record and on stage) Also something I've they make their audience feel like an extra member of the band. The communal feel is fantastic. Amidst all the fireworks, balloons and lasers the band still keeps an incredible modesty about them. It's all about the music with Coldplay live and not the gimmicks as I think you allude to. Take their A Rush Of Blood To The Head tour as evidence or more recently there incredible Crisis charity shows in December 2010. The latter shows were prime examples of Coldplay without the gimmicks, yet still proof that it is all still about the music. And the fact their Crisis Charity shows was held in venues that were tiny local theaters says even more. I haven't seen any band make the transition from venues the size of Wembley Stadium to local theatre with such ease and success.

Keane fan here.

I agreed with almost everything you said. Even though I have never actually seen Coldplay live, I've watched live streams and live performances on YouTube, and Chris' voice is really good, but Tom Chaplin's voice is perfection. I went to see Keane live last June with my dad, and after the show my dad said to me that Tom had the best voice he had ever heard (which proves that it's not just fans who think that). It's was great experience and I sang along to every word of every song. Tom sings with such emotion that it really connects with the audience. Just the nature of a lot of Keane's songs makes you feel as if you know them and they must know you. They have so many songs that could have been written just for me. They seem to fit my situation perfectly. And when I heard them live I felt like Tom was singing to me. I'm sure Coldplay is amazing live, but I'm not sure they'd top Keane.

I saw Coldplay live and it was the best day of my life. My dad (went with me) who likes Coldplay but he has his own favourite band said it was the greatest concert he had ever witnessed, keeping in mind my dad has seen hundreds of bands and musicians. He has seen his favourite band about 20 times and he said the Coldplay concert was the best concert he'd ever been to.

And well from me: The Coldplay concert, on a rating out of 10 I'd give it a billion! I cried out of happiness during it and when it finished I was speechless, the next day at school I just zoned out, people thought I had something wrong with me, I just sat staring and smiling at the wall (thinking about and reliving the concert). It was brilliantly amazing!!!

I saw Coldplay live and it was the best day of my life. My dad (went with me) who likes Coldplay but he has his own favourite band said it was the greatest concert he had ever witnessed, keeping in mind my dad has seen hundreds of bands and musicians. He has seen his favourite band about 20 times and he said the Coldplay concert was the best concert he'd ever been to.

And well from me: The Coldplay concert, on a rating out of 10 I'd give it a billion! I cried out of happiness during it and when it finished I was speechless, the next day at school I just zoned out, people thought I had something wrong with me, I just sat staring and smiling at the wall (thinking about and reliving the concert). It was brilliantly amazing!!!

I dream it :rolleyes:

Keane are fantastic and have some incredible tunes but on balance I think Coldplay absolutely destroys the competition when it comes to tunes. There show is a relentless hit after hit after hit. Not even U2 after 5 albums had the same catalogue of smash hits in their live setlist (although U2 are for me the ultimate band on record and on stage) Also something I've they make their audience feel like an extra member of the band. The communal feel is fantastic. Amidst all the fireworks, balloons and lasers the band still keeps an incredible modesty about them. It's all about the music with Coldplay live and not the gimmicks as I think you allude to. Take their A Rush Of Blood To The Head tour as evidence or more recently there incredible Crisis charity shows in December 2010. The latter shows were prime examples of Coldplay without the gimmicks, yet still proof that it is all still about the music. And the fact their Crisis Charity shows was held in venues that were tiny local theaters says even more. I haven't seen any band make the transition from venues the size of Wembley Stadium to local theatre with such ease and success.

I'm not saying Coldplay are bad live or that they're all gimmicks. All I said is that we shouldn't judge concerts based on the spectacles they put on. Only because sometimes when I'm talking about bands live with other people they always bring up all the lights/baloons/glowing bracelets issue. Again, I'm not saying Coldplay aren't good live cause I don't know, I haven't seen them. Don't know about the hits. Could be but that's really subjective cause most of Coldplay's hits bore me to death. I only like a few from X&Y and A rush of blood to the head. Also, Chris Martin is sure a better entertainer and showman than Tom Chaplin. But no one can top Tom's voice nowadays, not even Matt Bellamy (really good with falsetto, not so good with chest voice).

^ I don't think the most important on a show is a flawless voice but the energy you put into the thing. And Coldplay definetly delivers that energy, for me it would be Coldplay>Muse>Keane, even though I like more Keane than Muse.

I didn't say it was the voice either. Just music and energy. Everything else is just a matter of taste.

^ I don't think the most important on a show is a flawless voice but the energy you put into the thing. And Coldplay definetly delivers that energy, for me it would be Coldplay>Muse>Keane, even though I like more Keane than Muse.

Even if Tom is not jumping and lying on the ground, he still puts a lot of energy into it. Tim Rice-Oxley also puts a lot of energy with the way he plays piano. He's just so much into the music. And the moment when they play A Bad Dream and Tom and Tim are both playing piano together is a real highlight of the show. So much energy.

Besides, most of my favourite Coldplay songs are not that likely to be played live, while almost all the songs Keane plays live are my favourites. I'd rather have favourites than "hits".