✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay/Keane/Muse trends.

rafaelchampion

I know the name of the thread seems a bit confused and I myself can't put this on words but I don't know if someone have realized that Coldplay, Keane and Muse seem to be like in the same "Wave" or something like a point of their career where they look very secure of what they do, even changing. I mean:

Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto was very different from their previous works, what doesn't mean BAD, but the opposite, it's good and it's something the band likes to do. They are enjoying this tour more than ever. In no point of this era I have realized that they regret doing anything.

Keane's Strangeland was a little more conservatory than MX, but it's getting a lot of attention, what was always hard for Keane. It was like they were under a shadow and they couldn't let everyone see how talented they are. Their new touring is being a lot successful too.

Muse released their new single some days ago. I was never a big fan of their music, I like one or two, but I just loved Madness. It's very modern and deep. I don't know if I can say this, first because I do now follow their career and second because they already have some "poppy" (it's under "" guys) songs like Undisclosed Desires, but, it looks like their new album, The 2nd Law can be Muse's Mylo Xyloto.

Yeah, it's still confuse, isn't it?

I don't know, I just like how secure they all sound and it's something I like most on bands, when they don't care what will think about their music. They just want to play the music.

(OFF: I don't know also if someone have realized but Keane's "Day Will Come" is very similar to "Don't Let it Break Your Heart" and the Bass of Muse's Madness remembers me of ETIAW. Not accusing anyone of anything. It's just cool like they are alike.)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are the 3 biggest UK bands and release albums arround the same time, but I think while Coldplay and Muse are going foward, Keane took 2 steps back on Strageland. They are all building their carrers and I would say Muse and Coldplay are definetly on the right way. in 2008/9 they all seemed to be going foward too with albums that also had changes from their previous work, Viva La Vida, The Resistance and Perfect Symmetry, God knows why Keane decided to step back, but I think we should expect great thing from those 3 on the next 5 years or so.

Absolutely. All 3 are part of the post-britpop movement, along with bands like Travis and Radiohead (hence why the latter are the bane of Coldplay and Muse fans reading reviews full of comparisons). And many bands recently seem to be picking up on the trend of dance music in the charts; Coldplay with their new hip-hop drum elements and big bass, etc.; Muse with this new pop influence and dubstep, Radiohead with The King Of Limbs... heck, even Scissor Sisters' new album is almost entirely synthy pop music. tbh, I don't care much for this amount of saturation of one genre in the charts and I'm getting increasingly more interested in the old indie bands who are resurfacing now, everyone from Maximo Park to Franz Ferdinand who are all starting to stage comebacks. A hipster-friend of mine said several years ago that EDM would be the next big thing in the 2010s, he goes to underground clubs and the like. I paid no attention, but now...

Keane might have sorta stepped backwards, but what should you expect from an album about looking back at how you got to where you are now? I'm sure they won't continue going backwards...But I like it a lot! Especially the Starting Line, Sovereign Light Cafe, Sea Fog, and On the Road.

Yeah, I get what you're saying about 'Day Will Come' and 'Don't Let It Break Your Heart'.

They are the 3 biggest UK bands and release albums arround the same time, but I think while Coldplay and Muse are going foward, Keane took 2 steps back on Strageland. They are all building their carrers and I would say Muse and Coldplay are definetly on the right way. in 2008/9 they all seemed to be going foward too with albums that also had changes from their previous work, Viva La Vida, The Resistance and Perfect Symmetry, God knows why Keane decided to step back, but I think we should expect great thing from those 3 on the next 5 years or so.

The Rolling Stones? Radiohead?

Keane might have sorta stepped backwards, but what should you expect from an album about looking back at how you got to where you are now? I'm sure they won't continue going backwards

Yeah, I get what you're saying about 'Day Will Come' and 'Don't Let It Break Your Heart'.

So have Muse. And Coldplay a bit.

But MUSE have gone drastically down with Madness. I can't and won't except the opinion that that song is better than their older stuff. Undisclosed Desires was poppy and experimental but it was a million times better than this shit.

As for Mylo Xyloto , I really find it weaker and a step back from Viva la Vida.

Strangeland is cool IMO.

Oh and yeah,, if you were to put top 3 current biggest UK bands you would have to put Radiohead there and not Keane.

But MUSE have gone drastically down with Madness. I can't and won't except the opinion that that song is better than their older stuff. Undisclosed Desires was poppy and experimental but it was a million times better than this shit.

Strangeland is cool IMO.

Oh and yeah,, if you were to put top 3 current biggest UK bands you would have to put Radiohead there and not Keane.

Yeah, Keane's really not quite as big...but that doesn't mean they're not as good... :D

Oh, well I don't really listen to Radiohead, but I was mainly saying that big doesn't necessarily always mean better. Just more well known and popular...but that also doesn't mean that they're not that great. I just LOVE Keane though. Tom Chaplin, can he sing or what?! And I love Tim Rice-Oxley's writing style. But again, it's all a matter of opinion...but the fact that Tom Chaplin is an amazing singer...that's not a matter of opinion...that's truth! :P

Strangeland is cool IMO.

As you said, it's a question of opinion. Of course you may be a fan of their for a long time but it's sad you don't even consider other people's opinion. I listened to their albums and I never liked any song with exception of some from The Resistance. It's like what happens to people who started liking Coldplay after Mylo Xyloto (not comparing anything in therms of sound). We can't blame them for not linking their previous stuff because the new style is different, the one they like.

I can't see anything wrong with Madness and I even think it has a high Radio potential (Paradise?). The ending is particularly beautiful. What may you dislike, the "Ma ma ma ma ma ma ma ma Maa Maa Maa"?

God knows why Keane decided to step back, but I think we should expect great thing from those 3 on the next 5 years or so.

Because Perfect Symmetry was crap and I'm personally glad they went back to what they are good at. :P

I don't know about the rest but I think Coldplay and Muse have reached the top of their game and the next step would be them staying at the top.

Keane on the other hand have miles to go, imo. I love Keane and they are one of my favourite bands but I can't put them on the same level as Coldplay and Muse to be honest. They seem to be a step behind.

I know people will probably disagree but that's how I see these bands. :)

The Rolling Stones? Radiohead?

No one cares about Radiohead at the momment after their "comeback to the underground", and the Stones don't even do shows anymore, so I'd say they are the 3 biggest right now. Keane gets a lot more atention, radioplay and I think it sells more albums too.

No one cares about Radiohead at the momment after their "comeback to the underground", and the Stones don't even do shows anymore, so I'd say they are the 3 biggest right now. Keane gets a lot more atention, radioplay and I think it sells more albums too.

Quite a lot of people care about Radiohead (who sell out stadiums), I don't know where you get that from. And The Rolling Stones are going on a massive 50th anniversary tour soon. Furthermore I don't think Keane sells more albums.

^ Strangeland got to number one, King of Limbs only 7, Lotus Flower charted at 165, Silenced by The Night at 45, I don't really know the size of the places Radiohead is playing lately but it seems to me, here in Brazil far away from the UK, that Keane gets a lot more atention than Radiohead, I can hear Keane's latest singles quite often on the alternative radios, while what comes up from Radiohead is usually things from 10 years ago. But I could be wrong....

Rolling Stones in going to tour again :awesome:!

Everyone I tell people I like Coldplay and Keane they say I've heard Coldplay...but not Keane. I know Keane are not as well known (or maybe popular) in lots of places. But I bet there are some places where they are just as big as Coldplay and probably bigger than Muse...like Mongolia...I've probably heard just as much Keane played there as Coldplay. I don't recall hearing much Muse though...I could be wrong...I don't really know that much Radiohead, but I don't think they play it much there...but who knows.

Oh, well I don't really listen to Radiohead, but I was mainly saying that big doesn't necessarily always mean better. Just more well known and popular...but that also doesn't mean that they're not that great. I just LOVE Keane though. Tom Chaplin, can he sing or what?! And I love Tim Rice-Oxley's writing style. But again, it's all a matter of opinion...but the fact that Tom Chaplin is an amazing singer...that's not a matter of opinion...that's truth! :P

When I said miles ahead I meant that Radiohead is better.

Tom Chaplin has such an incredible voice, I wonder if the three singers (Thom, Chris, Matt) could sing Keane's songs...

As you said, it's a question of opinion. Of course you may be a fan of their for a long time but it's sad you don't even consider other people's opinion. I listened to their albums and I never liked any song with exception of some from The Resistance. It's like what happens to people who started liking Coldplay after Mylo Xyloto (not comparing anything in therms of sound). We can't blame them for not linking their previous stuff because the new style is different, the one they like.

I can't see anything wrong with Madness and I even think it has a high Radio potential (Paradise?). The ending is particularly beautiful. What may you dislike, the "Ma ma ma ma ma ma ma ma Maa Maa Maa"?

I dislike 90% of Madness, I just think it is not a good song by Muse standards. And I really don't see what makes you think I don't respect others' opinions. In my eyes (ears), Madness will never be better than for example Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria, New Born... just to name a few incredible masterpieces of Muse.

And Paradise will never be better than Clocks, Politik, Viva la Vida etc.

Everything I say is my own opinion, but I really strongly believe that the criteria of Muse and Coldplay have gone drastically down, and they prefer to make a hit rather than a good song. Which is kinda sad , given the immense talent of the two bands.

Yeah, if you go by the rules of "only as good as the last one" . TKOL may not be the best Radiohead album, it's pretty shitty but what they have done and achieved cannot and should not be erased just like that. Cause being "big" at the moment is not always "good". Cause if it was, then Rita Ora, Justin Bieber, Keisha and other crapholes of artists would really be standing for quality.

^ I was talking about big all the time :P, big can be shit, small can be great and vice-versa. I do like Keane more but Radiohead earlier albums (The Bends, Ok Computer...) are great :nod:. The thing is Muse and Coldplay are huge and change the sound on similar points, Keane is "big" and also does that.