✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Pop Music

Brent

I was discussing this with a friend over the weekend:

Is Pop a genre or a quantitative quality?

i.e. Radiohead might be "pop" because they are very popular, but they aren't what you'd think of when you say "pop."

Like the new Coldplay album is more "poppy" than their older stuff, but they're just as popular as they used to be.

And there are indie "power-pop" bands that sound "poppy" but no-one knows about them.

Get what I'm saying?

Discuss it. Now.

I've received a lot of hate in the past for labelling pop music as shit, but I tend to label shit chart music as "pop", simply out of ignorance of categorising it into a respectable genre.

LOL! now that was a serious ANALysis! LOL! :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

Back on topic:

despite the term "Pop" actually derives from the word "popular", it gained a total different meaning with time. If a song is "poppier" than another it doesn't necessary mean that it's more "popular", it's just closer to the musical genre called "Pop".

Yeah, I used to be one of those who followed the "pop music"="bad music" philosophy but now I consider it a musical genre as much as rock or electronica with it's own good, ok and bad songs.

Back on topic:

despite the term "Pop" actually derives from the word "popular", it gained a total different meaning with time. If a song is "poppier" than another it doesn't necessary mean that it's more "popular", it's just closer to the musical genre called "Pop".

Yeah, I used to be one of those who followed the "pop music"="bad music" philosophy but now I consider it a musical genre as much as rock or electronica with it's own good, ok and bad songs.

:nod: Agreed, same for me. Except that I've never considered pop music bad music. I mean, I was a Spice Girls fan when I was a kid, so how could I ? :lol:

LOL! now that was a serious ANALysis! LOL! :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

It's nothing personal, I just lazily label rubbish mass-appealing tripe as "pop", without consideration of whether it's r&b, rap, indie, electro-pop, wonky-pop or whatever else it might be.

And I know that there's good pop music, but pop's a bit of a dirty word now. No one wants to be pop, it's too safe and conforming.

:nod: Agreed, same for me. Except that I've never considered pop music bad music. I mean, I was a Spice Girls fan when I was a kid, so how could I ? :lol:

Spice Girls? how cute! growing up, i never really cared much for them. when there was the whole britney spears craze, i don't think i cared for her much either....(RHCP was there and so was Bon Jovi.)

i guess the only pop bands i really listened to were N*SYNC and Westlife, ooo and S Club 7!! but yeah i was just like 9 or so...

but then again, there are some good pop songs.....

Pop is a genre for me.... easy listening music, usually with repetitive chorus, catchy hooks and under 5 minutes.

But if the whole world listened to doom opera, then someone like Flying Lotus might be considered a pop god.

It's all quantitative.

most of Radiohead's early stuff is pop because they have simple/normal structures, catchy choruses etc...

I think it's safe to say that all chart music is pop, if you're just using it in a broad sense (ie Rihanna is pop, but more specifically r&b, or Taylor Swift is more specifically pop country)

I find pop music the most interesting genre in the world though, most of it is written and produced by genius' and then sung by some singer who's come from nowhere... everything is so manufactured and a lot of it is really experimental. it's exciting!

This somewhat reflects my view on the topic. As Mrk said, if we're getting technical, there are two main umbrellas of music: classical and popular. Popular music was created to go against the grain of what classical music is. If we're going to use that term, then everything that isn't classical is popular, or "pop," music.

However, there's also the term "pop," meaning a certain subsection of popular music that sounds a certain way. Genres are quite open to interpretation, though, so I suppose you could put anything under that, depending on what your views of "pop" are.

Either way, it doesn't really matter that much to me. As long as it sounds pleasant to my ears, any music, classical or popular, pop or not, is welcome on my iTunes.