✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Albums of the Year 2012 - Voting

Alien Radio

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering that good cover albums are quite rare (maybe 1 or 2 a year), I think you should leave them to be included.

It's not like the flood gate are going to open and people are going to start voting for cover albums on mass, as apart from Neil Young & Counting Crows I can't think of anymore decent cover albums

• 2 weeks later...

1. "Love This Giant"-David Byrne & St. Vincent

2. "The Silicone Veil"-Susanne Sundfør

3. "Valtari"-Sigur Rós

4. "Through the Night"-Ren Harvieu

5. "Enjoy It While It Lasts"-Spector

6. "Shallow Bed"-Dry the River

7. "Born to Die"-Lana del Rey

8. "Life Is Elsewhere"-Little Comets

9. "Rhythm and Repose"-Glen Hansard

10. "Des Wahnsinns Fette Beute"-Oomph!

11. "Album Title Goes Here"-deadmau5

12. "Requiem for the Indifferent"-Epica

13. "Shrines"-Purity Ring

14. "Tramp"-Sharon Van Etten

15. "Die Hölle Muss Warten"-Eisbrecher

16. "The 2nd Law"-Muse

17. "Django Django"-Django Django

18. "Fragrant World"-Yeasayer

19. "What We Saw From the Cheap Seats"-Regina Spektor

20. "Babel"-Mumford & Sons

21. "In Our Heads"-Hot Chip

22. "The Slideshow Effect"-Memoryhouse

23. "Free Dimensional"-Diamond Rings

24. "The Haunted Man"-Bat for Lashes

25. "Coexist"-The xx

Subject to change. I'm really indecisive. Yeah.

1. Alt-J - An Awesome Wave

2. Muse - The 2nd Law

3. Andy Burrows - Company

4. The Black Keys - El Camino

5. Jason Mraz- Love is a four letter Word

6. Mumford & Sons - Babel

7. Fun - Some Nights

8. Will and the People - Will and the People

9. Passenger - All The Little Things

10. JAck White - Blunderbuss

1 Tame Impala, Lonerism

2 Alt-J, An Awesome Wave

3 Flying Lotus, Until the Quiet Comes

4 Jack White, Blunderbuss

5 Grimes, Visions

6 Pulled Apart By Horses, Tough Love

7 Beach House, Bloom

8 DIIV, Oshin

9 Tribes, Baby

10 Lana Del Rey, Born to Die

11 Graham Coxon, A&E

12 Grizzly Bear, Shields

13 Bobby Womack, Bravest Man in the Universe

14 Frank Ocean, Channel Orange

15 Melody's Echo Chamber, Melody's Echo Chamber

16 Jake Bugg, Jake Bugg

17 Hot Chip, In Our Heads

18 The Vaccines, Come of Age

19 Richard Hawley, Standing At Sky's Edge

20 The Shins, Port of Morrow

21 Jam City, Classical Curves

22 Cloud Nothings, Attack on Memory

23 The XX, Coexist

24 Lianne La Havas, Is Your Love Big Enough

25 The Mars Volta, Noctourniquet

Gutted that Burial isn't allowed.

The number of debuts/sophomore efforts must be extremely high this year, given the failings of the likes of Muse, Keane etc. Can we get graphs done on genre, number of albums released, nationality, number of members and whether or not the artists have beards?

The number of debuts/sophomore efforts must be extremely high this year, given the failings of the likes of Muse, Keane etc. Can we get graphs done on genre, number of albums released, nationality, number of members and whether or not the artists have beards?

...Or it might be that Muse, Keane, etc. didn't really release solid albums this year.

But no, I get what you mean. There have been a substantial amount of debuts released this year, and from what I've heard, they're quite good.

For the people that have not ordered their CDs: I encourage you to do so, because for the ranking it really matters how much points it gets. Last year I gave unranked lists the same points as the middle rank would get, so 13th place (170 points) for each CD in a top 25 list and a 4th place (325 points) in a top 7 list, but this year to make it harder for you I am thinking to give each unranked CD just 100 points.

When you let CDs share places, I will not attribute less points to it. I will give the CD behind it not one but two ranks lower and the two same ranked CDs the number of points of that rank+one lower rank / 2. So if you're list says

1. Radiohead - In Rainbows

2. Lady Gaga - Born This Way/ Muse - The 2nd Law

3. The XX - Coexist

4. Cat Power - Sun

5. Grizzly Bear - Shields

I will rank them 1 - 2.5 - 2.5 - 4 - 5 - 6 (500 - 400 - 400 - 325 - 300 - 275 points respectively)

Can we get graphs done on genre, number of albums released, nationality, number of members and whether or not the artists have beards?
I really like this idea. There's 165 different CDs in the file already, though. I think looking up how many members each band has and nationality and how many albums released etc, is a bit much work. But I might do that later on for the top 20 or something. I like to play around with the statistics :D

Also depends on how much computer time I will have during Christmas, I think my bf might get angry at me when I spend a whole day behind the PC instead of with his family but then again, I don't know their language :thinking: and I like doing these kind of things :\

...Or it might be that Muse, Keane, etc. didn't really release solid albums this year.

But no, I get what you mean. There have been a substantial amount of debuts released this year, and from what I've heard, they're quite good.

That's what I mean, I think it's because expectations are higher for Keane or Muse than Django Django or Alt-J. But that's what I meant, yeah.

:lol:

I'll see what I can do :)

I really like this idea. There's 165 different CDs in the file already, though. I think looking up how many members each band has and nationality and how many albums released etc, is a bit much work. But I might do that later on for the top 20 or something. I like to play around with the statistics :D

Also depends on how much computer time I will have during Christmas, I think my bf might get angry at me when I spend a whole day behind the PC instead of with his family but then again, I don't know their language :thinking: and I like doing these kind of things :\

If no one else can be bothered, I'll do it, just send me the top 50 or so and what you want done.

I've actually been working on an extensive spreadsheet for artists I want to look into for a while now (still haven't finished it), and it has those sorts of statistics. I'd be glad to donate my time to that.

This sounds interesting anyway, what sort of things does your spreadsheet talk about?

I personally have loved 2012 musically. Top year for music, it really has been.

It got to about May and it became apparent that no one like Radiohead or Arcade Fire was going to come along and steal album of the year, again, and I just found that really exciting, There were all these new artists like Alt-J, Django Django, Frank Ocean, Melody's Echo Chamber, all coming along at once, and suddenly bands like The XX, Sigur Ros, Tame Impala, Grizzly Bear are regarded as people's favourite bands, seasoned regulars, when a few years ago, they were just seen as hot new bands, or someone you'd have a few tracks from on your iPod.

Keane and Muse have been slightly disappointing, as have Vaccines, Two Door Cinema Club and Killers to some, so it's just nice to see a void being filled. It's just felt like this year, we haven't had to rely on megastar bands like Muse, Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, Florence, U2 or Kasabian for our albums of the year.

And now Mumfords have been announced at T in the Park, I hope this is the beginning of a new era of music. One that doesn't repeat the same headliners at the same festivals, because they're simply the biggest bands; one in which more "indie" artists like the ones mentioned are cool again. Because 2012 has delivered us some great new music, and for me, this is the start of what can be a fantastic decade of music.

It got to about May and it became apparent that no one like Radiohead or Arcade Fire was going to come along and steal album of the year, again, and I just found that really exciting, There were all these new artists like Alt-J, Django Django, Frank Ocean, Melody's Echo Chamber, all coming along at once, and suddenly bands like The XX, Sigur Ros, Tame Impala, Grizzly Bear are regarded as people's favourite bands, seasoned regulars, when a few years ago, they were just seen as hot new bands, or someone you'd have a few tracks from on your iPod.

While I'm not sure I agree with what you say about the "hot new bands" bit, I definitely agree with your sentiment about new artists. I've listened to a fair amount of those this year, and I've really enjoyed myself. (By the way, props to you for bringing up Django Django. I really enjoy that band.)

Keane and Muse have been slightly disappointing, as have Vaccines, Two Door Cinema Club and Killers to some, so it's just nice to see a void being filled.

This. While I'm glad Keane at least went back to basics with "Strangeland" (as opposed to going down the path they were on with "Perfect Symmetry" and "Night Train" :sick:), I wish they would've done a bit more with it. Muse's "The 2nd Law" was hit-and-miss for me. Some of it is really good, some of it I only feel like listening to some of the time, and there are a couple of tracks that I don't listen to at all. ("Explorers" should NOT be 6 minutes long. Jesus.) Two Door Cinema Club did go in a slightly darker direction, and I enjoyed it; I think I just like their brighter debut album more. One of the reasons I grew to enjoy 2DCC is because they were feel-good music for me, and I feel like I lost that with "Beacon."

As far as The Vaccines and The Killers, I just found their most recent albums boring. I can't really explain why. It's a shame, really.

It's just felt like this year, we haven't had to rely on megastar bands like Muse, Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, Florence, U2 or Kasabian for our albums of the year.

I don't think you ever have to really "rely" on megastar bands to fill your list if you look hard enough and if you listen to enough music. Even if that was the case, as long as the album is solid, I don't have an issue with that.