✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Albums of the Year 2012 - Voting

Alien Radio

I don't think you ever have to really "rely" on megastar bands to fill your list if you look hard enough and if you listen to enough music. Even if that was the case, as long as the album is solid, I don't have an issue with that.

I'm generally not good at making my point, but my point is that the new artists we've discovered this year have more than made up for the lack of quality material by established artists. You go into a year expecting the big albums from the big names, and though we've had few this time round, there's not been a lack of quality.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Alt-J, Purity Ring, DIIV, Lana Del Rey, Dry The River, Minus The Tiger, Django Django, Ultraista, Melody's Echo Chamber, Laurel Halo, Jessie Ware, The Memories, Light Asylum, Debo Band, Poliça, Imagine Dragons, to name a few :wacky:

I'd say a pretty good year for debut albums :D

Oh, and before this year I never heard of Susanne Sundfør, Lost In The Trees, Liars, Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti or Wild Nothing :bomb:

^ Alt-J, Purity Ring, DIIV, Lana Del Rey, Dry The River, Minus The Tiger, Django Django, Ultraista, Melody's Echo Chamber, Laurel Halo, Jessie Ware, The Memories, Light Asylum, Debo Band, Poliça, Imagine Dragons, to name a few :wacky:

I'd say a pretty good year for debut albums :D

Oh, and before this year I never heard of Susanne Sundfør, Lost In The Trees, Liars, Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti or Wild Nothing :bomb:

This ^

I would also add that bands like Mumford and Sons, Vaccines, The XX, Grizzly Bear, Tame Impala, Flying Lotus, Grimes, etc are now reaching a wider audience, so though they're not "new", they're new to some people.

And who are these new artists we've discovered this year?

Have you not discovered anyone new this year, or were you waiting to rubbish the bands I was going to list?

Have you not discovered anyone new this year, or were you waiting to rubbish the bands I was going to list?

I just thought your premise was interesting because I would argue the opposite: the albums from the established bands/musical groups were far superior to the output from these "new" artists.

That's why I was curious to see if I missed an album worthwhile.

I just thought your premise was interesting because I would argue the opposite: the albums from the established bands/musical groups were far superior to the output from these "new" artists.

That's why I was curious to see if I missed an album worthwhile.

Well of my top twenty-five, I'd say less than half were debuts, but I've not counted though. Which would mean I agree with you, established artists top debutants' efforts this year.

Established artists you'd expect to have superior output; what I was trying to say was that I was impressed with the level of quality from new artists in 2012. Each to their own, though.

^ it's my favourite :lol: but it's music, in the end it's just a matter of taste

I'd say there are two strong sides to the Killers: the more electronic, more Pet Shop Boysy, side, and the rockier, more U2 side. I think that's why there's the divide between Day & Age and everything else. Crass generalisation, but hey, a theory's a theory. :P

For me , it's

1.Mumford and sons - Babel

2.Of monsters and men - My head is an animal

3.The Lumineers - The Lumineers

The guidelines ask between 5 and 25 albums in your list. I don't know if we should go for lists that contain less than five. Can you guys think of some more albums to get a top 5?

Tame Impala - Lonerism

Kendrick Lamar - Good kid...

Beach House - Bloom

Frank Ocean - Orange

Grizzly Bear - Shields

Grimes - Visions

Hot Chip - In our heads

The Shins - The part of tomorrow

SBTRKT - SBTRKT

Purity Ring - Shrines

Bonus: Passion Pit- Gossamer

Also, The Shins made a CD called 'Port Of Morrow' not 'The part of tomorrow' :laugh3:

SBTRKT - SBTRKT

I don't know what to do with the bonus. What does this mean, do you include this in your list or not? because you have not ranked your list, now they would all receive 100 points each and Passion Pit ... I don't know. Please clarify.

Kylie Minoque's album is an album full of remakes of old songs. Therefore it is not eligible.

Also, if those are not in order of preference, you might want to take away the numbers, because they might confuse people in that you have an order.

Anastacia should not be allowed as well I guess.

The difference is that Kylie's album is full of old songs of herself and Anastacia recorded songs that are by other people (covers). A bit before in this thread, we agreed upon including cover CDs in the list, so I guess Anastacia is allowed then.

Tame Impala - Lonerism

Kendrick Lamar - Good kid...

Beach House - Bloom

Frank Ocean - Orange

Grizzly Bear - Shields

Grimes - Visions

Hot Chip - In our heads

SBTRKT - SBTRKT

Purity Ring - Shrines

What Wyrd and para-para-parrotdies said.

It's Port of Morrow, not The Part of Tomorrow. SBTRKT is from 2011. And what do we do with the bonus album?