✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Albums of the Year 2012 - Voting

Alien Radio

I'm pretty sure a lot of other artists than the mainstream will be remembered in 20 years :tongue:

I doubt anyone will care about the "mainstream" in however many years, I mean does anyone actually know what was number one in 1992?

I'm only 20, and I found it strange when my dad said the Who never had a number one single. Or that Led Zep never even released a single over here. Likewise, I struggle to believe that Paranoid Android was number 2 in the charts here, or that Take That and Spice were both Mercury-nominated.

Good music's good music, who cares who listened to it?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some will be remembered with respect, other won´t. I liked Nicki Minaj in Pink Friday but she exploded into poop with Roman Reloaded ughghg. So they´ll probably remember her for that if she continues to make herself annoying. All I know from the music in the early 2000´s was the image of the artist and not their music and usually they fuck up like Britney Spears (if we´re talking mainstream) so I would imagine that Lady Gaga would be remembered more for her image more than her music even if she has a lot of hit songs and some I do enjoy but her image overshadows that. I´m not the biggest fan of Adele but I think people will remember her for music and not what she stands for or any political statement she wanted to make.

Also I agree with all of the new music thats coming out thats sort of a comeback of 80´s new wave or """""shoegaze""""""" and I do like many artists like Grimes, Wild Nothing, Diiv, Ariel Pink because they do bring something new to that sound. Whatever they´re doing with their music couldn´t be done years before even if it sounds like it.

And uh, I like 90´s music I guess. I´m sort of getting to the music that was going on in that american rock (The Smashing Pumpkins, Pavement, Nirvana) vs. britpop (Blur.... uhh thats it oops) so yeah idk if that would be 90´s music but its a whole decade a music.

I doubt anyone will care about the "mainstream" in however many years, I mean does anyone actually know what was number one in 1992?

I'm only 20, and I found it strange when my dad said the Who never had a number one single. Or that Led Zep never even released a single over here. Likewise, I struggle to believe that Paranoid Android was number 2 in the charts here, or that Take That and Spice were both Mercury-nominated.

Good music's good music, who cares who listened to it?

Yeah, in the end there are many different factors that contribute to what will be remembered and what will not. Being in the mainstream isn't a necessity, though it can help.

I just don't get the Cloud Nothings, Grimes, Passion Pit, Ariel Pink hype.

That's because they're not very good. Especially Gossamer.

I don't agree with Parrot-Dies about much, but the 90s were quality. I'd go back and live it again if I could.

One of my embarrassingly long posts where I wax poetic about the 90s

it's interesting the parrot skipped the 60s and the 80s which are generally considered "the best", for different reasons

The greatest years in music were 1971, 1977, 1991, and 1997. Don't believe me? Just take a look at all the classic albums that were released in those years.

The 60s have been so laughingly overrated, mostly because it became unwritten rule to never speak ill of the Beatles.

^ That rule still rings true today, too. A friend posted a status asking all of us who the most overrated band is (in your opinion). I went with The Beatles, and a few people just straight up told me I was wrong. (Even though, y'know, music is subjective, so you can't be wrong.) Not to stereotype, but it seems that a lot of hardcore Beatles fans tend to get butthurt if you say ANYTHING even remotely negative about them.

Pitchfork Top 10

1. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city

2. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

3. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel ...

4. Tame Impala - Lonerism

5. Swans - The Seer

6. Grimes - Visions

7. Beach House - Bloom

8. Chromatics - Kill For Love

9. Death Grips - The Money Store

10. Grizzly Bear - Shields

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9017-the-top-50-albums-of-2012/5/

now will you guys listen to Kendrick Lamar??!

Pitchfork Top 10

1. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city

2. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

3. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel ...

4. Tame Impala - Lonerism

5. Swans - The Seer

6. Grimes - Visions

7. Beach House - Bloom

8. Chromatics - Kill For Love

9. Death Grips - The Money Store

10. Grizzly Bear - Shields

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9017-the-top-50-albums-of-2012/5/

now will you guys listen to Kendrick Lamar??!

That Kendrick guy is actually on many lists :surprised:

I'm gonna download that now

I can't really guarantee any of you guys will like it because it really is a rap album, not super accessible to all audiences like MBDTF was. Either way though, you should listen because it's an important album. In a few years he'll be a big name like Tupac, Snoop Dogg etc

I've never really felt this strongly about a rapper before :shrug:

I can't really guarantee any of you guys will like it because it really is a rap album, not super accessible to all audiences like MBDTF was. Either way though, you should listen because it's an important album. In a few years he'll be a big name like Tupac, Snoop Dogg etc

Actually I haven't even listened to MBDTF yet. :blank:

I used to totally ignore rap music.

Hey will you be my official guide to the rap music?

It's as lush as ...Fantasy though. Haute couture rap.

I have barely listened to anything from 2012.

I've mostly been listening to old albums and the radio is mainly Jack FM, which newest song they play came out last year (Beady Eye)

Can I ask where you're from? I live in Oxfordshire (some of the time :\) and Jack FM's our local station...

Doesn't sound like a particularly original name for a station though.