✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Sobriety Thread

Prince Myshkin

Post when you're sober and others aren't, when you're in an enforced period of sobriety (ie have given up, or for health reasons), or just discuss the positives and negatives of sobriety.

I've pretty much given up alcohol this year. I was going to go the whole year without alcohol but that changed when my girlfriend didn't want to drink alone on her anniversary, so I had two small glasses of wine to celebrate, last month. That is my only alcohol intake this year so far. I also received a bottle of wine as a gift yesterday, and since my birthday is late this month I will have a glass of it then. So it's not a total ban on booze, but I'm down from 1-3 times a week to special occasions (and even then, not getting drunk).

I've enjoyed not drinking. I'm sure I will be drunk again at some point, I'm not taking any moral high ground or pretending as though I'm gonna be doing this forever. I decided to try some time without drinking and found I enjoyed it. I have also not forgotten the benefits of alcohol, though. I wouldn't say I miss them as such, but I am glad that I have experienced them.

As for the sobriety, I mostly enjoy not talking bollocks after too much drink, and not having a wasted next day of recovery with the hangover. And also, it's helping me weight and finance wise, which is a nice bonus.

This thread can be about sobriety from anything you want, I just chose to discuss alcohol in the OP.

I used to drink socially. Then one night, I drank a double margerita, two rum and cokes, one rum and lemonade, six shots of Jack Daniels (that had been dyed green, and that's what made them taste so rancid), half a bottle of vodka, and some wine. In twenty minutes.

I don't drink anymore.

I'm not a heavy drinker at all, actually my best friends usually don't drink at all when we go out, and i just drink as much as they do, but man if i don't drink anything the rare times i have to go to a night club, i *will* feel the urgent need to kill myself.

The last time I drank alcohol was last month in London (2 ciders), I think the time before that was in August. I'm actually not even allowed to drink because of medication I'm taking but my GP said a glass once in a while couldn't really do much harm.

Then one night, I drank a double margerita, two rum and cokes, one rum and lemonade, six shots of Jack Daniels (that had been dyed green, and that's what made them taste so rancid), half a bottle of vodka, and some wine. In twenty minutes.

That must have been the worst hangover ever! :o

I'm not a heavy drinker at all, actually my best friends usually don't drink at all when we go out, and i just drink as much as they do, but man if i don't drink anything the rare times i have to go to a night club, i *will* feel the urgent need to kill myself.

Most definitely. Fortunately I don't go to those places often anymore. 25, so getting a bit old for that kind of stuff (on a regular basis). Used to go weekly in my teens/early 20's and the times I've been sober have been awful.

Is this in terms of it makes you feel ill when you're near alcohol (like I do with vodka, after one heavy evening a few years back) or is it because you don't trust yourself to drink responsibly?

Bit of both. I just don't feel all that well when I drink most of the time.

That must have been the worst hangover ever! :o

Ha, I've actually never been hungover before.

---

The worst part about the story is that I remembered none of it the next day, but I had texts saying "Please don't be dead", so after ringing people up, I found out that I drank that much, then left the house, got as far as town, where someone put me in a taxi, then I went home, collapsed, and the neighbours all thought I was dead... then paramedics came apparently.

Either all of that happened, or my mates were playing an elaborate game, and they left me on the sofa.

I used to drink socially. Then one night, I drank a double margerita, two rum and cokes, one rum and lemonade, six shots of Jack Daniels (that had been dyed green, and that's what made them taste so rancid), half a bottle of vodka, and some wine. In twenty minutes.

I don't drink anymore.

Christ, that's stupidity on a monumental scale.

I actually gave up alcohol too for the most part at the start of the year. I just never drank enough to even feel tipsy, so I just felt like it was a waste of money. I also have a few problems with my stomach so I started feeling quite sick when I drink. I'm happy out anyways cause I can go out with friends, enjoy myself and not spend any money on a night out :nice:

Also like Greg, I'm not taking any moral high ground. It's just the way it worked out for me. I do actually like the taste of several drinks and I would like to be able to drink on some occasions without feeling like shit D;