✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Are the Bakery visits getting out of hand?

oldmuckers

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think these are great arguments/thoughts but there are a few things on which I disagree with you.

I'm not a celebrity, I have never had to deal with fame and having fans and such. Who am I to say, with 100% certainty, that they necessarily are bothered by people visiting ? Me, random people, wouldn't like that, but maybe they actually do like it from time to time ? I agree that it seems to be too much right now, every day and sometimes several times a day, but I don't think that fan visits from time to time are necessarily annoying, especially when people are polite, nice and respect some boundaries.

It is not correct to disturb them on their workplace, but how is quietly waiting on a bench disturbing ? I went to the Bakery in April 2012, they weren't here, I knew it, I wanted to take a look at him by myself, I didn't do anything wrong! It is the place where some of the people I admire the most wrote some of my favourite songs ever, of course I wanted to see this place, of course it has some importance to me, it's not just a working place.

When going to the Bakery most fans are just there to say "Hi I love you omggggg" and "it would be awesome if you could take a picture with me/sign this CD I love your music so much". Yes, people have been abusive and again I definitely do not support that but in most stories that I've read or heard about, fans were respectful of the band and boundaries and the band is most of the time friendly and engage in conversations.

I don't think that's necessarily wrong, nor abusive of their fame.

I reread my previous post & realized it seemed more angry than I thought :\

At first when I joined this forum I loved reading about fans meeting the band. I was naive to think they were accidental, like someone who was passing by near the bakery & had a chance to meet the band.

When I discovered that some of these encounters are intentional, I got uneasy with them, hence my reply.

Maybe I am just silly, but I think that no matter what a person is (celebrity or random people) , we all deserve our privacy. I would think that most people would love to walk to their work or home uninterrupted. Maybe it's good that people are showing their respect & love for the band, but too much of anything is annoying. Nowadays, it doesn't seem like that to me, but more of a trend going among fans that everyone must follow. Like, if someone has done, so why can't I do it too?

It's a trend that won't stop easily, even if the band were forced to add security on the doors, or even accompanying security when crossing the street!

It is a working place after all, to them at least. It is not a museum. People in the neighbourhood might not even be interested in the band, but they might get annoyed by the increasing number of strange people waiting on benches for a door to open to jump at someone screaming their name!

What we usually read are one sided story from the point of view of fans. We can't form an opinion about that the band actually encourages their fans to come to visit. How would we know if one band member or the other thinks " this fan is a bit creepy/ I have to go somewhere right now/ this is annoying but I should not disappoint them". I know I can't tell that this actually what might be going through their minds at some point, but it's a possibility that has to be considered.

To me, I wouldn't go anywhere unless I were invited. I am a conservative person that wouldn't even visit a friend without being invited :rolleyes: so yeah!!

Okay, I see your point better now.

I do think that they all deserve privacy too and I'm not the kind of person who would visit a friend uninvited either, of course! But there's a huge difference between ringing at the door bell of a friend, uninvited, and sitting on a bench in the street outside of the studio of the biggest band in the world (the biggest difference being: fans don't really ask Coldplay to let them go inside the Bakery or the Beehive -THANK GOD!)

I don't think the band encourages people to visit, but they haven't shown many signs of not enjoying it at all, and they're responsible adults and celebrities who have been dealing with fame for a while now, so to me, if they really had a problem with it they would show it. They can do whatever the hell they want.

I definitely agree that it's no reason to not respect their privacy, and they have this right to privacy as much as anyone else, so yes we can assume that 5 visits a day are probably a bit annoying, but I'm really uncomfortable to say that they're probably too shy and nice to say anything or so insecure they feel that they'd disappoint us.

And again, no one forces them to go talk to their fans (hell, if a fan screams across the street, they can just wave and go away), and as it was earlier pointed out, even their crew tell some fans when the band is going to be there.

I just don't like it when people assume that most fans are crazy rude people who don't have the slightest regard for privacy, because that's not true, and that's why I get defensive on that.

fans don't really ask Coldplay to let them go inside the Bakery or the Beehive -THANK GOD!

This reminds me one of the dumbest questions asked to The Oracle

February 13, 2013 - submitted by Paul, France

Q. If I visit The Bakery, can I enter inside it and visit it?

Thank you Oracle.

The Oracle replies:

No, I'm afraid you can't. It's not open to the public.

So as you guys probably already have seen "abcdefghijkANNA" visited the bakery yesterday: https://twitter.com/abcdefghijkANNA

She took pictures with all the guys, got a ton of autographs and actually sat down on a bench with Chris.

I know you can't really judge how the guys feel about fans visiting just by looking at the pictures.

But... there is not a slight indication that the guys don't like fans visiting them or that they feel uncomfortable about it. Especially Chris sitting down on the bench and having a chat with the girl, doesn't seem like he doesn't enjoy fans visiting the bakery.

Maybe he just wanted to be polite but if people see the pictures they will clearly think the guys have no problem with fans visiting and it will encourage more fans to go there and give it a shot. So if they dont want fans to go there (which i honestly think is not the case) they are definitely sending the wrong signals.

^Exactly.

And when even Phil Harvey on at least one occasion said that "the boys were inside the Bakery (or was it the Beehive) - wait here for x minutes, then the entire band are leaving". And someone (Phil Harvey?) said the other day that "Chris is here not today - he will be here on Thursday" - well it could be seen as an encouragement to return that Thursday. And the fans did.

The band members have said that being in a band and everything related to it - be it recording / giving concerts / talking to fans and signing stuff - all this is a job for them. They are thankful to their fans for "having given them the best job in the world".

So they are kind to their fans visiting them.

It is quite different when being in a hurry to catch a flight or train - or being with family somewhere - then they want to have some privacy.

Chris once said that it was difficult sometimes - he could not even walk down the street with his wife - then the couple would be surrounded by / chased by paparazzi.

My conclusion: It seems to be okay with fans visiting the Bakery / Beehive and asking for a signature/a photo there, but not when meeting them in the airport / with family, because then they would like fans to respect their privacy.

(...)

Chris once said that it was difficult sometimes - he could not even walk down the street with his wife - then the couple would be surrounded by / chased by paparazzi.

(...)

Well paparazzi are a hole different topic. They are not fans. It's their job to get the best picture, the best story, a headline that sells magazines.

They don't really care how the people they are after feel and i guess most of them give a crap about privacy.

I'm sure the band knows the difference between fans asking for a picture and paparazzi 'asking' for one.

I think the biggest problem are the fans who go there over and over and over again and wait around for several hours. And those people don't all live in or near London. Why would you spend several hours waiting on a bench when you're visiting London when you've already met them before? That's just stupid and it doesn't make any sense.

The poll result has shot up dramatically :inquisitive:

I think the biggest problem are the fans who go there over and over and over again and wait around for several hours. And those people don't all live in or near London. Why would you spend several hours waiting on a bench when you're visiting London when you've already met them before? That's just stupid and it doesn't make any sense.

Yes I posted in the thread earlier about the girl who just had to go back again the next day, to meet the exact same people, in the exact same circumstances, except a day later. The only thing I found funny about it was that you could tell from the pictures they were a bit like "OK, this girl, again..."

If there's people doing it over and over, if they've already met them, I just don't understand it either. I'm just that way that I don't care to meet any of my favourite musicians (Which from reading about people's obsessions with meeting Coldplay, I feel lucky) but if anyone really feels that the way they inspire you means you definitely need to meet the band, I don't get how that could mean you need to meet them over and over again. It just sounds like an empty hole trying to be filled.

:nod: I totally agree, I don't really get it either and I definitely don't support that, I mean it's basically harassment.

Yes the bodyguard is a photographer.

They hired him because every fan wants a picture and you obviously need someone behind the camera. They figured, instead of asking pedestrians all the time lets make it easier for those fans and hire a guy who takes the picture. ;)

Maybe they got complains from people that every time they walk by the place the band stops them and asks them to take a picture of the band with a fan. :laugh3:

They hired him because every fan wants a picture and you obviously need someone behind the camera. They figured, instead of asking pedestrians all the time lets make it easier for those fans and hire a guy who takes the picture. ;)

Maybe they got complains from people that every time they walk by the place the band stops them and asks them to take a picture of the band with a fan. :laugh3:

I don't think they stop people in the street to take photos. Mines were taken by Chris himself. It's a bit hard but no impossible :)

I visited The Bakery today and met Will, there was a guy who looked like a bodyguard/security who was waiting outside in a car with blacked out windows. A woman came out of The Bakery and got in the car which then drove off. All this had happened before Will had even arrived. When I met Will he was walking to The Beehive, he came up to me and said hello. He seemed happy to see me and was very nice. I guess it might get a bit annoying for the band when there is a large amount of fans who are being instrusive. I was the only fan who was there so I quietly waited for someone to turn up. If you are thinking of going to the studio just be calm and patient as I'm sure that's the way the band would want you to be.

So yeah I think these visits are okay as long as the fans act respectfully :)

• Like 1

When i went, they seemed more than happy about it, i mean i met will first and when they all came out jonny and guy walked out and came to me! so im guessing Will told them i was there. If they were getting annoyed im sure they would have crossed the road, walked fast and not come towards.

Then when i saw Phil when i was walking back, he even asked if i had seen the rest of the band and that chris would be back that afternoon, if i wanted to see him.

In all i think they are grateful that people are coming to see them, and its not like we waste their alot of their time. When i went i spent the whole of 30 sec with Jonny and guy and when i saw Will and Phil they were asking me questions.

Thats my opinion anyways!

p.s that was the first time i ever met them :)

• Like 1