✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Are the Bakery visits getting out of hand?

oldmuckers

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we taking things just a bit literally? Boys in this case is a term of endearment. On the MX Tour, Chris referred to his bandmates as boys. During HLH, he'd say, it's going to be a good one boys. Of course we know how old they are, but they will always be our boys b/c we love them.

I never knew there was a doorbell D; tbh, I have always found the whole thing quite weird and intrusive. I'm saying that to the "crazy fan girls" and to people I would happily call my friends.

But then again, I feel awkward asking for autographs even when the person is there. (Although, mainly due to my ex-boyfriend, I have autographs from 10 different people).

There's also another element that I think needs to be said.

I wouldn't go there just to get a signature from them. I mean, it's just a note on a CD. Hell, I'm not even sure that if a meeting would actually occur (sing Hallelujah) I would think of asking them :| my brain would be too busy trying to make me stand and breathe :| and yeah i totally understand people saying they feel weird about asking for an autograph, because i would feel weird too.

To me, the point of going to the Bakery is to see the place where the magic happens AND to have a chance to actually interact with them. Tbh, i don't want much from them. A picture would be awesome, an autograph sure would be super cool. But the chance to talk to them, even for 2 minutes and tell them that their music means a lot to me and that i can't wait for the next album holycrap just thinking about it i get emotional. Everyone has told them that already, but i wouldn't care. I'd visit the Bakery to have the chance to tell them that I personally think they're awesome and I love them, but not to get some trophy from them.

edit: it doesn't change the fact that when going to the Bakery we're doing something a bit stalkerish, but honestly I think the intention is still worth mentioning. I wouldn't support anyone who goes there just to get an autograph and say "i met someone famous". I feel sorry to read stories where people would focus just on getting something signed by the band.

I voted no but I think the yes threshold can be close to be reached.

Let's say that more or less 30/40 fans (including me :rolleyes: ) have met the band so far (from the MX Exhibition), and I'm just just approximately counting fans that went intentionally to the Bakery and have posted their photos/reviews online: I think they don't represent a problem for them...now.

Fans just ask them an autograph and a picture, or maybe a handshake, and this just takes some minutes of their life.

Maybe it's too easy to find where the bakery is: i just need to google "Coldplay Bakery" to find where they daily work.

So I think the number of fans going there just to see them could rapidly increase, given the facility of the word of mouth and internet and forums; should we keep the bakery location more secret? up to you

I voted yes in the poll because I remember when I was a teenager I had a crush on Alejandro Sanz and I remember him moving from his house after the first album success because a lot of people had discovered where he lived ( I know that's not the same here, but his home was the place where he worked on his music ) and he was unable to concentrate on his work. So I know that they are very graceful with the people who is going there, but I am worried that this matter will end up annoying them and as a consequence their working time would be affected. Furthermore I went to London the summer of 2011 and I went to visit the John Keats museum (I love his work) that happens to be very close to the Bakery and just because I knew that the band was on tour I dared to go and pass in front of the place were they create their music, otherwise I wouldn't dared to go, but just because I am like that. But of course everyone is free to do whatever they want and think is appropriate. :)

it's tricky, because obviously the band and their crew would indicate in some way if the fan meetings were getting to be way too much

on the other hand, i don't think anyone wants it to get to that point, either

Coldplay fans seem to be fairly respectful in general, and it's possible that while the recent number of people visiting the Bakery seems a bit overwhelming to someone like me, it may not faze them if they're used to being around a large number of fans (though there's a distinct difference between being surrounded by fans in a venue and having fans come to a private place of work)

personally, if i had a chance to visit, i would probably stop and get a picture of myself near the alleyway, but if i didn't happen to run into anyone outside, i don't think i would wait around...

it may seem like a moot point to "debate" this sort of thing, but it's good to know where everyone stands on where the line should be drawn, right?

RE: the boys comment, it was just something I noticed. I was going to edit my post to clarify this but my internet had been throttled to dial-up speed and was being a pain on the ass to even get on here so I just gave up.

For now, I doubt having occasional fans spring up at their doorstep isn't too obstructive during their recording sessions, but it's too early to really see how much of an impact or interference it has on them. If they really got tired of people coming up to the bakery, I would imagine the guys would most likely have a sign indicating that they're busy and need no interruptions. Perhaps even a security guard would be at the door. But for now I see no reason why fans shouldn't be able to take a mellow trip to the bakery if it's so easily accessible and the guys welcome fans with open arms.

Again only time will tell, but for now it's not out of hand.

I am late to this thread, but I voted yes even if it doesn't change the fact that people would still do it. Here are some random thoughts:

- The Bakery/ Beehive aren't a listed sightseeing place in London, so I would assume that it is not fine for people to visit it whenever they can. It's not a holy place, it is simply a working place.

- I don't agree with the fact that since the band doesn't seem to mind, then it's ok to visit. I mean, who wouldn't get irritated if they are interrupted from walking the street to their work place everyday by people shouting their name, asking for autographs & such? Perhaps they are just so nice to disappoint anyone, but that doesn't mean taking advantage of that. Some of them might be in a hurry, or simply not in a good mood. I know Guy is usually shy & quiet. They can't be ready everyday to meet fans, even if they were the best type of fans.

- I have read a story of people waiting outside Chris' home :angry: I have seen 2 videos of him & people asking him to say hello to their friends & that made me furious. What on earth do you think he is? a talking doll that you own? Come on Chris, hold this sign, see what I have for you, say hi to tons of people you don't even know. Then dare call this respectful act of fans.

- The theory of: if they are not ok with it, then they would hire a security doesn't make sense. The norm is that people should be able to work without the need of accompanying security all the time. Would you pleased if they had to hire one to keep fans from jumping at their faces all the time? Yeah sure, they are rich & can afford that, but forcing them to do it is a thing I can't understand.

- They are celebrities & that's the price of fame! Oh well, so why not punish them for being successful & famous?

I think these are great arguments/thoughts but there are a few things on which I disagree with you.

I'm not a celebrity, I have never had to deal with fame and having fans and such. Who am I to say, with 100% certainty, that they necessarily are bothered by people visiting ? Me, random people, wouldn't like that, but maybe they actually do like it from time to time ? I agree that it seems to be too much right now, every day and sometimes several times a day, but I don't think that fan visits from time to time are necessarily annoying, especially when people are polite, nice and respect some boundaries.

It is not correct to disturb them on their workplace, but how is quietly waiting on a bench disturbing ? I went to the Bakery in April 2012, they weren't here, I knew it, I wanted to take a look at him by myself, I didn't do anything wrong! It is the place where some of the people I admire the most wrote some of my favourite songs ever, of course I wanted to see this place, of course it has some importance to me, it's not just a working place.

I definitely do not support people who come to Chris' home, and I don't like either when fans ask them to make videos, that kind of behavior is clearly out of line to me. However you can't educate these people, and clearly the only thing that would help them draw the line would be the band doing so (or, you know...their parents, people who've educated them).

When going to the Bakery most fans are just there to say "Hi I love you omggggg" and "it would be awesome if you could take a picture with me/sign this CD I love your music so much". Yes, people have been abusive and again I definitely do not support that but in most stories that I've read or heard about, fans were respectful of the band and boundaries and the band is most of the time friendly and engage in conversations.

I don't think that's necessarily wrong, nor abusive of their fame.

Apparently there's a bodyguard at The Beehive now...

Really? That's sad if that is true. :cry:

OK, I have read all the posts in here and felt that I don't have an awful lot to add to the conversation. However speaking as someone who has visited the Bakery I would feel very awkward if I said that I don't think anyone should go. I've, as some of you know, had a 'Close encounter' with Chris. He was walking with Moses and I didn't say hello because I was; firstly terrified of saying something, and secondly didn't want to bother him when he was with his son. I had my son with me, who is also a fan and since all this madness has ensued, people meeting them, talking to them, even with their kids... Now if I am completely honest, I have regretted it ever since. Regretted not stopping him, if only for a second to say. Hi.. I love your music.

Now it seems there is a guard on the door. Does this signal the end of the casual fan turning up? Will fans soon be standing behind ropes? If it becomes too much will they have to move to another place? Somewhere less accessible? Will they get big gates put in? Not come out and see anyone?

I sincerely hope this won't happen. But if as someone seems to suggest there are now guards on the doors, then it seems the natural progression.

I would never suggest people don't go. I completely understand the desire to do so. I would love to go back one day and meet them. But not if they are hiring guards. That small step seems to shout to me... keep away. I would love to tell them what they mean to me. But ONLY if they are happy to do it.

Can you imagine if you turned up and they were irritated or angry? Told you to go away as they were busy? It would be dreadful. :( But I can see a time when that happens.

So right now, yes I do think there are too many people going to the bakery. HOW or what to do to stop this I have no answer. As I said above I don't think that the visits should stop! Far from it. Just wish there were less of them.

We just know that today, at the moment when a fan visited, there was a bodyguard in front of the Beehive, but she hasn't given any other detail regarding this yet.

She did meet them, they did come to her, but yes, a bodyguard is a sign that should be taken into account. I'm just waiting for a full "fan story" report before jumping to conclusions (she also said that there was a lot going on that day, the bodyguard could have been there because, idk, something important was happening or something, but yeah the first thing i thought too was that it was a sign there are too many people going).

- I have read a story of people waiting outside Chris' home :angry: I have seen 2 videos of him & people asking him to say hello to their friends & that made me furious. What on earth do you think he is? a talking doll that you own? Come on Chris, hold this sign, see what I have for you, say hi to tons of people you don't even know. Then dare call this respectful act of fans.

Eeek, that's a bit cringe-worthy.

But at least they didn't steal the mail from his mailbox.