✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Are the Bakery visits getting out of hand?

oldmuckers

Are the bakery visits getting out of hand?

This is a debate that is growing among coldplayers and one that I find very interesting. I personally can see both sides of the argument and an curious to hear other’s opinions. I created a new thread for this poll because I did not know how to add a poll to an existing thread so my apologies to the mods and fellow board members if an additional thread seems unnecessary.

Are too many fans starting to visit the bakery too often? Is it becoming a distraction to the band or even worse an invasion of privacy. Or is it just a part of fame that they seem to graciously accept? I will give the guys credit… they do always seem happy to take time for the fans visiting them but when, if ever, will it become too much? It very well could be a much appreciated show of support that motivates them or it could be a growing irritant that they are unsure of how to handle. After all if one of them were to lose their temper with a fan, even after being extremely generous to hundreds of other, which story is going to make the papers. This is where the band creates the music we all love, a place of great interest to fans that anyone would want to see, but it is also where they work… it is an interesting question that really calls upon how much access we should have to those who choose to be public figures and what that means in terms of the private process that is artistic creativity.

Answer a simple yes or no in the poll but feel free to state your reasons in the comments.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the bakery visits getting out of hand?

This is a debate that is growing among coldplayers and one that I find very interesting. I personally can see both sides of the argument and an curious to hear other’s opinions. I created a new thread for this poll because I did not know how to add a poll to an existing thread so my apologies to the mods and fellow board members if an additional thread seems unnecessary.

Are too many fans starting to visit the bakery too often? Is it becoming a distraction to the band or even worse an invasion of privacy. Or is it just a part of fame that they seem to graciously accept? I will give the guys credit… they do always seem happy to take time for the fans visiting them but when, if ever, will it become too much? It very well could be a much appreciated show of support that motivates them or it could be a growing irritant that they are unsure of how to handle. After all if one of them were to lose their temper with a fan, even after being extremely generous to hundreds of other, which story is going to make the papers. This is where the band creates the music we all love, a place of great interest to fans that anyone would want to see, but it is also where they work… it is an interesting question that really calls upon how much access we should have to those who choose to be public figures and what that means in terms of the private process that is artistic creativity.

Answer a simple yes or no in the poll but feel free to state your reasons in the comments.

IMHO it's all a bit silly to have a "debate" over this issue, as people who want to go there will probably do so no matter what anyone else thinks and there's not much to be done about it if all they're doing is standing around on a public street.

Is it a distraction/annoyance to the band? who can say, but I will point out that they could easily hire so security and be whisked into the building without ever actually being "rude" to fans (indeed not acknowledging them at all), and since they seem to choose to go totally the opposite route, I'd guess they're ok with it, at least for the time being.

They're not the only band with a studio complex in a location known to fans and this kind of thing is fairly common in those situations (though I've never heard of a band that interacts with those fans the way Coldplay does here).

I guess what I'm saying is that while it's not something I have any interest in doing, and there have been stories of some fans doing some really inappropriate things (the fans ringing the bell after the Christmas Lights shoot for example), it's just something that's going to continue to happen as long as the band are headquartered there. They've encouraged the fan presence by the level of attention they give, and as long as they do that, the numbers of fans there will probably continue to grow.

I can see both sides

Obviously fans want to visit the studio of their heroes but we don't want it so that we are disrupting them.

Personally as long as we're not disrupting them during the work on the new album or anything like that then it's fin to pay a visit.

How are you going to tell whether they are being disrupted when you knock on the door? A sign on the door saying 'MAKING LP6 MOM JUST LEAVE ME ALONE I'M BUSY' (or something to that effect)?

I think it's great that this sort of discussion is happening. I think fan etiquette isn't really talked about enough tbh, especially considering some of the gross postings that have been made on this board (and I probably used to be a huge culprit)

Let us first point out the obvious

- it will continue as long as the band allows it to especially as so many people know where it is now.

- those people are not doing anything legally wrong unless harassment/stalking starts.

Before I continue, I assume people are worried about the second?

How are you going to tell whether they are being disrupted when you knock on the door? A sign on the door saying 'MAKING LP6 MOM JUST LEAVE ME ALONE I'M BUSY' (or something to that effect)?

I think it's great that this sort of discussion is happening. I think fan etiquette isn't really talked about enough tbh, especially considering some of the gross postings that have been made on this board (and I probably used to be a huge culprit)

Let us first point out the obvious

- it will continue as long as the band allows it to especially as so many people know where it is now.

- those people are not doing anything legally wrong unless harassment/stalking starts.

Before I continue, I assume people are worried about the second?

I agree that fan etiquette isn't talked about enough, I mean me, myself, rang a doorbell (this was early October last year I think), I am ashamed of this, I mean the shutters were down at the time meaning no one was in but I couldn't resist and I think it shows a lack of respect and understanding of privacy, when the truth is Coldplay are my heroes and some of the people I respect the most.

I do however, think that Coldplay fans are overall very respectful and have good 'fan-etiquette', as perhaps compared to the Justin Bieber fandom or One Direction fandoms overall.

In the end, the truth is we all love Coldplay and everyone who goes there is only going there for that reason.

Coldplay are big boys, aren't they ?

It sure is nice to care and discuss about that, but in the end Coldplaying only represents a very very tiny part of the whole fandom and people are gonna go there whether we say that it's good or not. We actually can't do anything about it. Once it's out, it's out, and the band is very well aware of it.

It sure seems that lately it's been a bit too much but if the band is getting annoyed with this, they'll discuss the matter between them and then will find a solution (hire security, ask their crew to tell the fans that the band's not here, shorten each meeting...).

I don't think that our opinion on this forum will matter to the craziest of fangirls, and tbh this forum seems really reasonable compared to the average tumblr or to fan forums for other bands and artists. I mean, ever since visiting the Bakery has become some sort of "trend", it looks like there's a post suggesting it might be too much every 5 pages or so.

I obviously don't like to hear stories of fans going too far (going there several times in a short period of time when they've already met them, ringing at the door etc etc), but as I said, once it's out, once it's out. We can't do much about it.

And then again, as a fan who loves them deeply but has never met them, even if I think that things are getting out of hand, if i have the chance to go to London there's a 99.5% chance that I will go to the Bakery. I can't see that not happening. If the band specifically asks everyone to stop, then of course I'll listen to them, but as long as there's no declaration from them, I don't see why I wouldn't go if I had the opportunity.

Oh, and as Nancy has pointed out: they will most likely take a few weeks off this summer. I guess there'll be less visits for a while.

It sure is nice to care and discuss about that, but in the end Coldplaying only represents a very very tiny part of the whole fandom and people are gonna go there whether we say that it's good or not. We actually can't do anything about it. Once it's out, it's out, and the band is very well aware of it.

It is so, but I'm afraid all the attention and enthusiasm people get after meeting them and telling their story in the Bakery thread, may be encouraging to some to go try and meet the band. Plus sharing info about who is in the studio now, when they come and go, where have meals - it all helps more people to find them.

Of course it lies on each person to decide how to behave, but I think this forum community shall have its policy about it, like it has about not sharing officially released songs. Like some very general guidelines about things, that are not encouraged to be done.

Personally, I have little problem with the whole thing. I only cringe when people tell about shouting for a band member, while he's walking two blocks away. Somehow, I find that disrespecting. And knocking on the door, disrupting them from whatever they are busy with, talking with them for a long time - that is kind of impolite.

But on the whole, I think that guys see talking to fans as part of their job. And they obviously don't mind people coming to see them - as mainly they are nice, supportive and coming only in that short period of time, when band is not touring/having rest/recording somewhere else.

I've read about band members + Phil going out of their way to tell fans if and when a specific member will come by. If they didn't want to be bothered, a simple I don't know would suffice. I'm very thorn myself but enjoy the pictures and stories very much. If I ever go to London, I'm sure I'd find the Bakery and sit on that famous bench, even if the boys weren't around.

I don't see too many Bakery threads/posts (Because I'm never in here) but I do remember once a girl made a thread about meeting the entire band individually, not once, but also the next day. She said she explained to them that she traveled so far etc. blah blah and it was a once in a lifetime opportunity (Taken twice) blah blah and the band were nice enough to pretend it wasn't weird and ridiculous.

Like you just got your photos, what more could you want? What more can you achieve by going back? Enjoy your holiday.

But it doesn't surprise me that a fangirl can take such advantage of people they love, what did surprise me a bit was that in that thread not one person replied with, "Twice? Really?!". It was just excitement and congratulations. I mean sorry for the constant Radiohead comparisons, but if some Radiohead fan posted that they'd get a sharp dose of "Leave them the fuck alone".

Well actually you'd probably get that for even posting 1 set of photos with Radiohead, but c'mon, 2 days in a row? That's acceptable to you people? O.K.

I was there the time that the door bell was rung, I was with a few girls older than me and they were talking about how somebody rung it and asked if the band was coming out i think and were asked to sit at a bench not so far off.

On seeing the band come out people were running like crazy across to see them. I'm kind of ashamed of myself for following but I was a really big fan back then and meeting them was like the dream so i can understand why people do it.

The lady who rung the bell was rude to Chris saying how she was disappointed the band weren't on the boat and was rushing round all the band members getting photos and signatures from each of them. I hung back because it scared me a little how determined some people are to get photos, anyway Chris pointed to me and said to the others to let me have a photo and was checking that it was alright. The band stopped and chatted a little while and asked everyone where they were from, apologised for how cold it was on the boat etc. and they said they had to go somewhere and generally they didn't seem to mind.

I wouldn't want to go back even if i was still a big fan I just don't see the point and repeatedly going to the same place to find a person does kind of border on stalking to me.

So, I told myself I wasn't going to reply to this thread... then I realised that as small as my opinion is... I think it's worth an airing.

I remember I was living in London when the first rumblings of 'finding' the Bakery appeared on the forum, very few people took notice, most people were simply excited to know where it was. The times I visited the area were simply due to visiting friends & going to one of my favourite pubs for trivia night & a pint.

Now, mostly due to the fact we are currently between tours & albums, the fans kind of want something to focus on, and the focus has quickly become meeting the guys at the Bakery/Beehive. Honestly, posts on a forum are not going to stop fans from trying to meet the band, pretty much all it will do is stop people from posting their photos & experiences.

Regarding fan etiquette, I've found over the years, through different fandoms, that there is never a way to enforce any kind of etiquette beyond the simplicity of "Just be nice!". We are all free-willed human beings, if someone wants to do something, then they will go do it (& frankly, many fans don't care what other fans think). Having a few years behind me (I'm in my early 30's) and having 'grown' up through fandoms, I think another misunderstood part of fandom is age. A 16 year-old fan is going to act & react differently to a 30 year-old fan etc, each could behave well or badly depending on the situation. There is quite a bit of research out there about fandom and the psyche, the way the brain (& therefore behaviour) reacts to obsession & passion etc.

And finally, this is freaking Coldplay guys... if they didn't want to be disturbed, then they would find a way for it to happen. Yes, they are very kind & generous with their time, surely they get some enjoyment out of meeting fans. Should fans be rude to them, no. But as I said before, you cannot control another person's behaviour. In the end, the only actions we can control are out own.

We all live in little glass fandom houses, I don't think any of us should think that stone throwing is ok.

So, there's my 5 cents/pence...

x Mel

I don't see too many Bakery threads/posts (Because I'm never in here) but I do remember once a girl made a thread about meeting the entire band individually, not once, but also the next day. She said she explained to them that she traveled so far etc. blah blah and it was a once in a lifetime opportunity (Taken twice) blah blah and the band were nice enough to pretend it wasn't weird and ridiculous.

Like you just got your photos, what more could you want? What more can you achieve by going back? Enjoy your holiday.

But it doesn't surprise me that a fangirl can take such advantage of people they love, what did surprise me a bit was that in that thread not one person replied with, "Twice? Really?!". It was just excitement and congratulations. I mean sorry for the constant Radiohead comparisons, but if some Radiohead fan posted that they'd get a sharp dose of "Leave them the fuck alone".

Well actually you'd probably get that for even posting 1 set of photos with Radiohead, but c'mon, 2 days in a row? That's acceptable to you people? O.K.

In fairness, I don't see Thom Yorke or any of the other radiohead guys (with the possible exception of Colin) responding to that type of fan the way Coldplay do though. They're reserved in general, which tends to breed the same attitude in their fan base. In contrast, the Coldplay guys are go to an almost unreasonable length to accommodate fans outside their studio, which breeds the opposite fan reaction

^Yeah. When people have already met the band but still show up several times, i find that a bit extreme.

It unquestionably is extreme. That said, all anyone's really doing is standing around on a public street, so even if the band wanted to do something to curb it, they'd be somewhat limited in their options as the fans aren't actually doing anything illegal. :\

They're grown men for heaven's sake, why are people always saying 'boys' almost infantilizing them? Jeebies.

Nobody answered my question :sad:

I don't understand the reaction of some people throwing up their hands and saying 'nothing you can do about it'. That's not really the point of the thread here, it's whether you personally think it's too much or not.

They're grown men for heaven's sake, why are people always saying 'boys' almost infantilizing them? Jeebies.

I don't understand the reaction of some people throwing up their hands and saying 'nothing you can do about it'. That's not really the point of the thread here, it's whether you personally think it's too much or not.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me the "can't do anything about it" thing comes in to play in that no matter how much we discuss things here, in the end it won't make a bit of difference as far as people turning up at the bakery, so it just seems kind of fruitless to have a discussion on the topic.

Consider what's probably the most widely community accepted standard here: The prohibition on posting images of the band members' children. Virtually everybody who posts here agrees it's crossing the line, yet those pics do end up posted here from time to time. To put it bluntly, the censure of a bunch of people who post here doesn't mean much in the scheme of things, so there's no real use getting bent out of shape over something beyond our control.

My point was that although to us, here, it may be too much, as long as the grown men of Coldplay haven't said anything, who are we to consider that it is, in fact, too much ?

It's not us personally that go through what they go through, so, honestly i don't know whether or not it's too much. It seems too much, right now, from my point of view, but if they enjoy it then that's cool.

As some of you may remember, I visited The Bakery on my 19th birthday last month on the off chance of meeting the band and I luckily met all of them.

When we arrived at The Bakery we met another Coldplayer who met Phil earlier in the morning who told her that all of the band would be here by 12:30; and Phil wasn't wrong, they were here by 12:30. We met all of them, and then Chris and Phil a hour later.

If Phil or the band weren't too keen on fans meeting them then I'm sure he wouldn't have told a fan a specific time that the band would be arriving.

When we met them they seemed rather relaxed by the situation and looked genuinely pleased to meet us; we even started talking about football to them (particularly Will) and they engaged with us really well.

We respected them in the fact that we didn't go knocking on doors, we didn't shout them, we didn't hover outside the entrance to The Bakery, we just waited patiently and quietly on the bench till someone appeared.

One question I will ask is this.....I know that all us Coldplayers don't all live in the UK, and that's great because it just shows the vast amount of support they have all around the globe, but if you were in London for a day or two, would you take a quick visit The Bakery on the off chance of meeting someone.....?

I understand both sides of the story and I do think it's a fair point to raise, and this thread has made for good reading, but I'll never forget the day I met all five of them :)

One question I will ask is this.....I know that all us Coldplayers don't all live in the UK, and that's great because it just shows the vast amount of support they have all around the globe, but if you were in London for a day or two, would you take a quick visit The Bakery on the off chance of meeting someone?

No