✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

should i go to art school?

Destrokk

let me ask a forum dedicated to an english alternative *cough*crappy pop*cough* rock band about the decisions in my life :smiley:

jk guys i love you all and i met some of my best friends here and i'd be interested to know what some members of this forum who are older and have more life experience have to say about my situation

i'm a year and a half away from graduating high school and people tell me to just relax and not think about it but i have nooooooooooooooooooooooo idea what the hell to do after school :sad: i really love to paint and everything about art has been my life but my family has been going through tough times where i can't afford to go art school and i often hear stories that its a dead end place to go because an art degree won't help you in getting a job (especially in these times)

also what i mean that i can't afford it (i could get a scholarship) is that i can't afford more time not having a job or enough to move out of the apartment, where i'm sort of forced to go to some technical school to get a degree to get a job but i really don't want to spend 2 years or more of my life in something i don't want to do but i feel like in my situation and in these times where the economy is shit it's the only option available?

i'm afraid that if i don't dedicate my time/money in art i won't ever get really good at it and i'll miss out new techniques and i'll never become an artist, or i could just paint a lot and get into the art scene in my city but if i don't have money i wont be able to expand and move to L.A but if i have a job i won't have enough time or it will be in the way of getting better :( but i want to help my mom financially and i'd go more into detail of whats going on where its urgent to have money but idk maybe you could pm me :uhoh:

so it's either two paths that i'm thinking of;

go to art school and spend my time in art and get a job that pays minimum wage (idk if that will be enough to live alone???)

or go to some lame ass technical school, finish it then find a job and live in my old house in mexico (alone or with my friends, i don't pay rent) and THEN start getting my art/music out there without school

one option i'm reluctant to take and feel like it might depress me but the other i'm scared shitless if i'll fail and just waste my moms money in taking care of me in my 20's

or is there some third, fourth, seventh option i could take???????? i also dont know if art school is even worth it and its best to just have a lot of experience in "da streets"

basically

tumblr_mw3dsg8I0T1t0uineo1_500.jpg

Art school honestly is a dead end. Not only that but if you're looking to support yourself financially in the future, art school will likely hinder you more than aid you. Lastly, going to school for something like that can sometimes rob you of the joy you experience in expressing yourself through art!

That's just my two cents though. Curious to see what everyone else has to say...:)

How come?

Because art in and of itself is subjective. It's like beauty. It's different for everyone. More importantly, most degrees from art school are not sought-after professions in today's modern society, especially with the current economic climate.

I think what's more important is for you do what you love. If you love art, then you should do that, but just know that you might be making sacrifices. Of course, making sacrifices sort of comes with the territory of growing up to begin with :P

Edit: Also, accumulating student debt for a degree that may not pay off that debt in a timely manner may not be a good decision.

Because art in and of itself is subjective. It's like beauty. It's different for everyone. More importantly, most degrees from art school are not sought-after professions in today's modern society, especially with the current economic climate.

I think what's more important is for you do what you love. If you love art, then you should do that, but just know that you might be making sacrifices. Of course, making sacrifices sort of comes with the territory of growing up to begin with :P

Edit: Also, accumulating student debt for a degree that may not pay off that debt in a timely manner may not be a good decision.

Most artists I've ever written essays by have suggested that whilst you need things that can't be taught, you also need other things that can be, unless you're some kind of crazy prodigy.

Art school isn't good for everyone of course, but even if you learn what not to do, it can be useful for artists, from what I gather.

I agree with your sentiments that it is a risk in this climate though.

Adding on to the art school comment: my mom went to school for fashion design (granted this was in Russia, but still). When she moved to the U.S., she did fashion stuff for a while. Eventually, she left the place where she was working (I don't know why I haven't talked to her about this). She's been a professional artist for around 9 years now, I believe, and she's never gone back to school for art. I mean, she teaches at an art school, but she doesn't have any sort of degree.

...and she still got commissioned for a life size bronze statue for a church. About two years ago.

Basically, if you want to do art, you don't need an art degree. Most professional artists never have, after all.

ps the sculpture looks like this

20%20Statue%20of%20St.%20Leonie%20Aviat.jpg

It's really risky, that's the problem with art school. Not only they are hard, but after graduating, it's hard to live off just selling art/paintings... I'm sure that you are good at art, and that your paintings/etc are nice if it's your passion. But it's really hard to get a career as a painter/artist just like that nowadays. You may get a job as a teacher though, but that's a whole different thing and I'm not sure if you'd like it.

I'm the same year in high school as you, and I have the same problem - can't decide what to do after I finish it. I would love to study history of art, but I don't want to be a teacher. I'm most likely going to end up at architecture or medicine.

The good thing with art is that you can always do it as a hobby. You can take private/night school art lessons too. And maybe, if it works out for you, you can quit your boring daily job and just make art.

But if your heart really beats for art, and you are ready to risk, go to art school.

Sorry if this doesn't help, it's really up to you after all. I wish you all the best though. :heart:

P.S. You can always marry Juan Son to make you rich and then mess with art :sombrero::sombrero:

Most artists I've ever written essays by have suggested that whilst you need things that can't be taught, you also need other things that can be, unless you're some kind of crazy prodigy.

Art school isn't good for everyone of course, but even if you learn what not to do, it can be useful for artists, from what I gather.

Right. You have to weight whether or not what is being taught at art school will benefit you or not in the long run. But like I said, if you feel like it's right for you, go for it! :D

Art school might be a good investment, if you are lucky and get a big break with some art, to get noticed by people whose opinions matter.

It's a bit like people studying media studies, media is one of the hardest industries to get into and make a good living out of it.

Art/music is tough. I have more experience with music, but I'd imagine art is very similar.

Keep in mind that you'd likely be living off of commissions. It's totally possible to do that, but it's unreliable and hard work. Very few people are fortunate enough to have their art hanging up at the MoMA, despite all of the talented artists in the world.

I can't tell you what to do, and if you're really passionate about it, then go for it. But my suggestion would be to go to college for something that you could apply even to the art field (like something business-y), and take art classes while you're there. You can still paint even with a day job in an office.

I don't know about art, but I know that in music, non-majors can still audition/participate in ensembles. Maybe check out what options are available to non-art majors, and make up your mind with that information?

Anette if you choose one path it's not a dead end either way, you can go to art school and years down the line change and do something else or get a job and go to art school later whatever idk but i think that there are waay more opportunities than you think. life isn't a set plan you can change your path and like AJ said a degree isn't always necessary in getting where you want to be. My mum has had a lot of career changes in her life secretary,physiotherapist, cleaner, nanny, carer and now she's training to be a councillor, so don't beat yourself up if you make a decision.

I can tell you one thing Anette: Art schools are really different in what they offer. You need to know what EXACTLY you want to learn from them. Are you focused on fine arts? Do you want to make game/concept/film related art? Character concepts? Sculpting, etc.?

So if you know what you really want to do, DO it. Only then you should decide where to go. But then again, art schools are not really necessary for your artistic level. You can also just visit live nude drawing sessions and learn a ton.

Still, if you think you want to take your art seriously, live it. Do everything you can to improve it and don't be afraid to fail. Yes the financial issues are there, but sooo many of my favourite artists had the exact same problem and they still managed to pay their fees. Or they got really professional by not going to any art schools at all.

Here's a great motivation text from one of my favoruite artists, it helped me a lot to be more passionate about my art and stuff:

http://nebezial.deviantart.com/journal/so-you-want-to-be-a-professional-XD-363842751

Also, if you want to get good critic on your art go on this website: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/ onto the Sketchbook section and post your stuff there. The people on there will comment your stuff and tell you if it's good or shit.

I hope I didn't go too off-topic lol.

tl;dr:

If you're passionate about your art you don't necessarily have to attend an art school. But if you wanna take your art seriously, you better breathe it, otherwise you end up as a failed art teacher or some shit.

~~~LOnG ppPPpp0$T~~

~

I didn't want to kid myself and say that I'll be fine without learning from the greats or people who know what they're doing but at the same time I agree that art is very subjective and I don't practice at getting better at drawing but finding new subjects and things to say. I'm not sure if thats the attitude found in an art school. Someone I knew was expecting more of place that praised the skill of getting the right angle of a nose in a drawing but was surprised that a graffiti artist was getting favored by teachers. I'm not sure where that leaves me.

Adding on to the art school comment: my mom went to school for fashion design (granted this was in Russia, but still). When she moved to the U.S., she did fashion stuff for a while. Eventually, she left the place where she was working (I don't know why I haven't talked to her about this). She's been a professional artist for around 9 years now, I believe, and she's never gone back to school for art. I mean, she teaches at an art school, but she doesn't have any sort of degree.

...and she still got commissioned for a life size bronze statue for a church. About two years ago.

Basically, if you want to do art, you don't need an art degree. Most professional artists never have, after all.

ps the sculpture looks like this

20%20Statue%20of%20St.%20Leonie%20Aviat.jpg

That's cool! I wish my mom was more artsy. I suppose it depends a lot on what you're good at and what you're able to do. I don't think i'm aspiring to be a professional but to be able to be involved in projects and people who love to make art too? Yes! The goal depends a lot too, oh what a pickle!

It's really risky, that's the problem with art school. Not only they are hard, but after graduating, it's hard to live off just selling art/paintings... I'm sure that you are good at art, and that your paintings/etc are nice if it's your passion. But it's really hard to get a career as a painter/artist just like that nowadays. You may get a job as a teacher though, but that's a whole different thing and I'm not sure if you'd like it.

I'm the same year in high school as you, and I have the same problem - can't decide what to do after I finish it. I would love to study history of art, but I don't want to be a teacher. I'm most likely going to end up at architecture or medicine.

The good thing with art is that you can always do it as a hobby. You can take private/night school art lessons too. And maybe, if it works out for you, you can quit your boring daily job and just make art.

But if your heart really beats for art, and you are ready to risk, go to art school.

Sorry if this doesn't help, it's really up to you after all. I wish you all the best though. :heart:

P.S. You can always marry Juan Son to make you rich and then mess with art :sombrero::sombrero:

Franito you always help :kiss: I hope you get out of the rut of knowing what to do after high school :sad: I thought of doing that too, a lot of people tell me to do it as a hobby and I was always offended by that. I took it like, you're not good enough and you'll probably be some nurse or a mom and you paint watercolors of the flowers in your garden while you wait for your kids to get home from school. Now I understand that I don't think I want to make money off of art/music but to have oportunities in doing it a lot more than a day job. Isn't that a definition of "hobby"? Or else I could become a sellout :sombrero: I wish he could be my sugar daddy :disappointed:

Right. You have to weight whether or not what is being taught at art school will benefit you or not in the long run. But like I said, if you feel like it's right for you, go for it! :D

I think maybe what I want to learn is how the art world really works and new mediums I could try to get the ball rolling, and meet people who could eventually help me or team up in art projects. Is it worth it though if thats all i want?

Art/music is tough. I have more experience with music, but I'd imagine art is very similar.

Keep in mind that you'd likely be living off of commissions. It's totally possible to do that, but it's unreliable and hard work. Very few people are fortunate enough to have their art hanging up at the MoMA, despite all of the talented artists in the world.

I can't tell you what to do, and if you're really passionate about it, then go for it. But my suggestion would be to go to college for something that you could apply even to the art field (like something business-y), and take art classes while you're there. You can still paint even with a day job in an office.

I don't know about art, but I know that in music, non-majors can still audition/participate in ensembles. Maybe check out what options are available to non-art majors, and make up your mind with that information?

College is kind of out of the question right now, but you're right about having enough time to paint while at a day job. It's probably a sacrafice to stay up late on a project I'm doing. I thought about other options and I talked to my counselor about it and she said I could try architecture, graphic design, art consultant but none of those appeal to me because it's not really what I practice or what I look for in art.

Get a career that can pay for doing the things you love in life.

This is probably what I'll go with. That career part is what I'm confused about. I thought about bartending. Or a short inexpensive school that assures an ok paying job? Sounds like the end of a rainbow :sad:

Anette if you choose one path it's not a dead end either way, you can go to art school and years down the line change and do something else or get a job and go to art school later whatever idk but i think that there are waay more opportunities than you think. life isn't a set plan you can change your path and like AJ said a degree isn't always necessary in getting where you want to be. My mum has had a lot of career changes in her life secretary,physiotherapist, cleaner, nanny, carer and now she's training to be a councillor, so don't beat yourself up if you make a decision.

I always forget that life is unpredictable, at this age its scary because adults tell you that college is the only option and that you need a plan. Ahhh! I'll try to keep calm. I heard it takes 7 years to master something and I can master up to 8 things in my life.

I can tell you one thing Anette: Art schools are really different in what they offer. You need to know what EXACTLY you want to learn from them. Are you focused on fine arts? Do you want to make game/concept/film related art? Character concepts? Sculpting, etc.?

So if you know what you really want to do, DO it. Only then you should decide where to go. But then again, art schools are not really necessary for your artistic level. You can also just visit live nude drawing sessions and learn a ton.

Still, if you think you want to take your art seriously, live it. Do everything you can to improve it and don't be afraid to fail. Yes the financial issues are there, but sooo many of my favourite artists had the exact same problem and they still managed to pay their fees. Or they got really professional by not going to any art schools at all.

Here's a great motivation text from one of my favoruite artists, it helped me a lot to be more passionate about my art and stuff:

http://nebezial.deviantart.com/journal/so-you-want-to-be-a-professional-XD-363842751

Also, if you want to get good critic on your art go on this website: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/ onto the Sketchbook section and post your stuff there. The people on there will comment your stuff and tell you if it's good or shit.

I hope I didn't go too off-topic lol.

tl;dr:

If you're passionate about your art you don't necessarily have to attend an art school. But if you wanna take your art seriously, you better breathe it, otherwise you end up as a failed art teacher or some shit.

I want to do a lot of things, since I was really young I wanted to paint and I still do but then I got really into music and now I make tracks for fun and my favorite artists are musicians who do their own visuals for album covers(M.I.A, Daniel Johnston and many other people i admire) or have made their own films like David Byrne. That's what I really want to do in my life. I'd like to make a film. I've written 2 scripts this year for fun and I realized I'd love to actually make them. Maybe thats too much ambition and I'm reaching too high in life. Little art projects.

That's why I made this thread because I was reading their wikipedia articles and most of them went to art school and I wondered if I should follow their footsteps.

I'll read that right now! I need all the encouraging help I can get.

Art school doesn't seem like the place for me I guess, I think I'm more comfortable in just keeping the passion and involvement I have for it like I do now and once I make money in a day job to fund materials and samplers and shit. I also thought of becoming an art teacher for the heck of it but I don't want to go back to school or take some course for teaching :sad:

That sounds like a good idea right? :uhoh: God bless ye if you read all of this.

Would an apprenticeship be an option for you? Somewhere where you can learn, but you're still earning money and doing something you love.

That's what I'm doing at the moment, I've managed to find myself a graphic design/ media design apprenticeship that pays decently.

I do realise though that fine art apprenticeships may be hard to come by though :|

But still, you could look into it.

Would an apprenticeship be an option for you? Somewhere where you can learn, but you're still earning money and doing something you love.

That's what I'm doing at the moment, I've managed to find myself a graphic design/ media design apprenticeship that pays decently.

I do realise though that fine art apprenticeships may be hard to come by though :|

But still, you could look into it.

This sounds like a really good idea. :nod:

I've looked into that but briefly because I'm not very familiar with it :surprised: I am looking into it at the moment and it seems kind of cool, but it does seem hard to find a program I'd like.

Actually I forgot to mention that in my high school theres an art program that I'll be in next semester but they just cover the basics so idk :uhoh: