✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[X10Y] - Share your personal X&Y story !

Hi fellows,

since we are currently (alright, actually tomorrow :D) celebrating the 10 year anniversary of this great album, I was curious to hear what your "X&Y Story" is. In which ways do you connect to it ? Do you associate it with a certain feeling, event or period in your life ? When did you first hear it ?

I'll start with mine:

In fall/winter 2011 I had never ever heard the name "Coldplay", even though I had unknowingly already heard VLV, Paradise and Talk on the radio. I had liked Talk for years, but didn't know or even care who it was by at that time. I came across Speed of Sound a while later on Youtube and immediately loved it, it got forever connected with a major exam I had in this time. When some time later I explored the world of Coldplay and listened to all albums in a row on Youtube, I recognized Talk again. What If and Fix you also immediately stuck with me, and I still associate some of the songs like A Message or Fix You strongly with a summer evening as dusk creeps up because that was when I first heard the album. It was the summer and fall of 2014, which was a very difficult time for me, and every morning I had to go to a job that I hated - for the work itself, for the unfriendly atmosphere, for everything. Knowing I had to go there every day regularly brought tears to my eyes, and every morning on the bus I listened to X&Y, because the lyrics of many, many songs resonated strongly with me ! I felt forever "stuck in square one", I was really "so tired but couldn't sleep" and so on. X&Y, especially Square One, What If, and Fix You were a big source of comfort to me in difficult times, and I'll never forget it. When I was angrier, I'd listen to Low and it made me calm down. I am grateful it exists.

I started to listen to the songs of the band COLDPLAY in 2007. Aired a series in my country (Israel) called "The Island" (in hebrew: "האי") that into her were a few songs of the band.

At first, I only knew to buzzes them without knowing that it's by COLDPLAY, I didn't know who these guys are.

At first, I was just hearing the familiar songs, such as "Fix You", "Viva La Vida" and "Clocks".

In 2011, COLDPLAY released a new album called "Mylo Xyloto",

And a song from that album: "Paradise" I heard in another series that aired on TV. I didn't know it was their song but I recognized the voice of the lead singer: Chris Martin.

I searched the name of the song in Google and it is found that it's song of COLDPLAY. So I was right.

From the same year, I started to follow the band on a permanent state. I started to listen to all of their songs and not only to the familiar songs, and to follow the news that they work in their Studio on a new album, touring the world, And now I even know how to play the majority of their songs on my own on the piano.

• 2 months later...

I know I'm late, but I'd like to share my X&Y story, as it is the beginning of my life as a coldplayer.

It was the spring of 2005. I was only a 13 years old boy that has always been keen on music, not only pop but also classics from the 90s and the 80s. I already knew Coldplay at that time by having on two italian well-known compilations "Don't Panic" in 2001 and "The Scientist" in 2003, and also I had already seen "Bigger Stronger" video somewhere back in 1999.

During the week of the release of "Speed Of Sound" I heard it for the first time... from that moment it will start a big love with that song that it's not intended to end.

I listened to that song at least 20 times a day, an so my parents decided to give me the whole album as a present. I still remember the first time I put it on in the car. SQUARE ONE everybody! One of the best openers ever. Then it follows up all the first side, there wasn't a song I disliked. Then again Speed Of Sound, shivers everywhere all the * times.

During that week, I watched a TV special about the history of Coldplay from the foundation to the releasing of X&Y, and I discovered that a lot of the songs of my childhood were CP songs ("Shiver", "Trouble", "In My Place", "Clocks"). That was when I started to be a fan of them.

After that, a month later I found A Rush Of Blood To The Head in a shopping centre and I bought it: it was the first album I ever bought. Then I looked for Parachutes and all the b-sides on the net. Now I have all of their LPs except for Ghost Stories, I'm still searching for the deluxe edition.

...and here I am in 2015, 10 years later, still not realising that all these years have passed so quickly. I'll never forget that period beween 2004 and 2006 because almost all of the pop and rock music released was great and I still listen to it today, and I can say that I miss the quality level of pop music of that time nowadays, even if I discover great actual music everyday: the big difference is that the radio stations don't pass that music anymore.

My only regret is that was too young to attend a concert of their tour in 2006, that I think was the best era to see them live. I could make that wish come true only in 2012, when they came in Turin, Italy on their MXTour. I'm not the kind of people who cries at the concerts, but I have to admit that there was a tear in my eye when they played "Speed Of Sound" that night, it was like the end of a journey started 7 years before, like my fate finally fulfilling. I just can't put into words what that night and that songs represents for me, but even if in these last years they did something wrong I still follow them because I'll always be thankful for what they gave me.

That's all.

I distinctly remember the time I first heard Speed Of Sound on the radio. I was lying in bed one night in the spring of 2012 with my earphones in listening to the FM radio on my old iPod Nano. I couldn't sleep and when I first heard the piano start I was immediately captivated by this unfamiliar song. The singer began to sing "How long before I get in, before it starts, before I begin?" I recognized the voice from hearing Clocks, Viva La Vida, and the new single Paradise a few times before. "Isn't this band called Coldplay?" I thought to myself as the chorus started. I had never felt so (is connected the right word?) to a song before. After the song finished it remained stuck in my head for the next several days. I started paying more attention when I heard Coldplay on the radio and before long I was familiar with the hits... but only the hits. A few weeks later my father drove me to the record store downtown which was clinging to life as iTunes exploded in popularity and streaming began to take hold. My dad let me buy a couple CDs so I looked around and happened to walk by the Coldplay albums. There were two in stock: Mylo Xyloto and X&Y. I looked on tne back of the X&Y album sleeve and when I saw that Speed Of Sound was on the track listing I thought to myself that this was the album I should buy. I bought X&Y with my own money that day and immediately fell in love with the album. As personal and family troubles began to occur X&Y carried me through. I began to look up more songs on YouTube and I came across the How We Saw the World live in Toronto show. I heard not only live versions of my new favorite songs but that film introduced me to much more of the band's work. I was inspired to discover this band and before long it became, as cliche as this sounds, the soundtrack of my life. All because of a song I heard on the radio when I felt so tired but I just couldn't sleep. Even though Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends became my favorite album I still hold X&Y in a special place in my heart :x&y:

Guest diogo_sg

Did you noticed that this year Coldplay didn't post a Happy Birthday pic for X&Y on Instagram?

They posted for GS, Parachutes and VLV, but not for X&Y. Do they really hate this album so much?!

"I live to see the world"

Did you noticed that this year Coldplay didn't post a Happy Birthday pic for X&Y on Instagram?

They posted for GS, Parachutes and VLV, but not for X&Y. Do they really hate this album so much?!

They did post something on Facebook. It was even a small gif where the X part of the X&Y code was blinking (as in X also meaning 10)

But sad to see that they almost never perform stuff from X&Y live, except Fix You. So much of a better album than for example MX, which they seem to love.

By the way diogo, do you also have a personal X&Y connection to share ? :)

Guest diogo_sg
They did post something on Facebook. It was even a small gif where the X part of the X&Y code was blinking (as in X also meaning 10)

I never use FB, soooo [emoji1]

But sad to see that they almost never perform stuff from X&Y live, except Fix You. So much of a better album than for example MX, which they seem to love.

I love MX tbh, but it's really sad to see such a great album like X&Y being put aside by its creators [emoji22]

By the way diogo, do you also have a personal X&Y connection to share ? :)

Not really (unfortunately). I only heard the entire album this year (I know, I know) and the way I discovered it is very... huh... normal [emoji53]