✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Describe your favourite Coldplay member

Gideon_Mx

I am curious to hear of you who's your favourite Coldplay member and why?

So in this thread you can talk or describe about your favourite member of the band :)

But first, I'll tell you why Jonny is my favourite member.

Jonny is the best guitarist ever in my opinion. His guitar riffs and solos are always taking place at the perfect moments, they always sound different and they fit so well on any other song. Jonny's also the one that leads a song very often, for example Charlie Brown. Without that amazing riff, it shouldn't have been something special.

EDIT: I forgot to say that Jonny is just a nice guy. The others too of course, but Jonny's character looks the most like mine :D

Now you !

• Like 5

My favourite member is Chris. Obviously I love his way of singing, how he plays the piano (I used to play the piano and always wanted to play it like he does, but never had enough time for that lol) and the guitar... for me he's a brilliant artist, that's for sure. But apart from that, he transmits energy and enthusiasm in every single performance he does, and that's something wonderful. He loves what he does and make us love it in the same way. Not all the singers are capable of doing that, so I think his attitude is one of the main reasons of Coldplay success. Besides, he has an incredible way of seeing the bright side of everything. He always expects the best from other people even when they don't deserve that. He's optimistic and kind and makes us believe in love and in our dreams... well, actually all the band (their songs, their shows, their personalities... everything they do) give me this feeling, but I've always felt more connected to Chris :)

(ok this seems kinda a love letter... but it's true, I love Chris so much lol :laugh3:)

• Like 10

My favourite member is Chris. Obviously I love his way of singing, how he plays the piano (I used to play the piano and always wanted to play it like he does, but never had enough time for that lol) and the guitar... for me he's a brilliant artist, that's for sure. But apart from that, he transmits energy and enthusiasm in every single performance he does, and that's something wonderful. He loves what he does and make us love it in the same way. Not all the singers are capable of doing that, so I think his attitude is one of the main reasons of Coldplay success. Besides, he has an incredible way of seeing the bright side of everything. He always expects the best from other people even when they don't deserve that. He's optimistic and kind and makes us believe in love and in our dreams... well, actually all the band (their songs, their shows, their personalities... everything they do) give me this feeling, but I've always felt more connected to Chris :)

(ok this seems kinda a love letter... but it's true, I love Chris so much lol :laugh3:)

Haha :D

Thanks for posting here, oh, and it's a nice description by the way. I really enjoyed reading it :)

Gideon_Mx via Tapatalk

• Like 1

My favorite member is Chris (with Jonny coming in second), because he is the one who wrote all those lyrics that resonate so well with me and are so comforting in the way they talk about the melancholy and the insecurities of life while always having this spark of hope somewhere. I feel that especially the young Chris must have had a truly beautiful mind (admittedly, I can relate less well to his mind nowadays, but of course i do like the love and kindness theme of more recent albums too); I can understand so well the way he sees the world in the earlier albums. He also arguably has the most beautiful voice in contemporary pop/rock music and is a great, great writer of melodies.

(In case anyone wants to know, my least favorite member is Guy...don't kill me :D)

• Like 8

Before I go to sleep I'll write my description.

I have two favorite members, I can't choose between them. Chris and Guy are my favorite ones for fangirling reasons, they are very handsome. :dazzled:

Of course that isn't the main reason. Guy seems to be very shy, with the ability to organize things and to see some details that the rest can't see. That’s what I've seen when Chris talks about him on interviews like the one with Zane Lowe and from the occasional interviews Guy has given. I can relate to him in those characteristics. Plus his bass riffs are very soft, he doesn't make a big noise, he just gives to the song what is needed to sound spectacular.

And about Chris. He's a man with a huge heart, funny and smart. I'm like him in the sense that I prefer to see the wonderful things around without losing sensitivity about the terrible moments the world is living. Life is too short to focus on the bad things, he has learned to enjoy life and all its colors and he shares that through his lyrics and his performance on stage.

Ps. @I ran away how is it possible that Guy is your least favorite? Do you really want to start a war? He's a genius! Well, those are things I don't understand :o

• Like 8

well, i don't really have a particular favorite member, because they are all equally important and equally Coldplay, but if you'll excuse me for a moment... *shuts off Chris mode*

i am here to talk about William Champion (since no one else has yet :P). :will:

Will, what can he do? really the question you should be asking is what CAN'T he do??? his name is WILL not WON'T and it shows.

:will: "i don't know how to play drums but you guys need a drummer? OK!"

and look at where we are now. dude is crazy on the drums. but that's not all - he plays piano, guitar, harmonica. all without ever having a middle name (that's relevant). really if there's a thing you can play, Will has played it. have you heard him sing? of course you have, he does that too. IMO he gives Beyonce a run for her money...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=_jgIMEk19JM;m=2;s=41

he's got the same enthusiasm as Chris on stage even if he's mostly sitting down (i mean, Chris is often laying down too :lol:) and hidden from the audience. he's calm and laid-back in interviews, always 100000000% (that's mathematically possible) genuinely kind to whoever he is talking to.

and you might be thinking now... OK... Will is cool and all... but can he act like Chris can? funny little skits, stuff like that?

YES.

of course, you know his famous role in Game of Thrones :lol: so not only can he do the funny bits, but he has taken on more serious acting as well.

but how does he compare to the other two?

Will Champion: is he a hot stud like Guy? Will has his own brand of gruff handsomeness.

will-champion.jpeg

is he a giggly cutie like Jonny? Will has the most adorable smile that will light up your heart.

tumblr_mhjremoFy61r19jeho1_500.jpg

two for the price of one.

so, in conclusion, Will Champion is THE MAN! (ok, i'm not good at conclusions... but you get the point)

• Like 15
  • Love 2

Do you really want to start a war?

If you can tell me something worth fighting for ! ;) :P

Seriously, the reasons I would say I like Guy least are the following:

He is the one who I believe appreciates the fan connection least, i once read he has sometimes, especially in the older days, reacted not so kindly when fans spotted him. He is probably the one member of the band who I wouldn't immediately approach if I ran into him on the street.

He has a grudge against Talk, which is why Coldplay will probably never play this masterpiece live again, as Chris once said in an interview. Apparently there are also some other older songs which are left out because Guy has something against them.

But of course that doesn't mean I dislike him because i obviously like all of them ! And I wish he would talk more in interviews...

• Like 6

He is the one who I believe appreciates the fan connection least, i once read he has sometimes, especially in the older days, reacted not so kindly when fans spotted him. He is probably the one member of the band who I wouldn't immediately approach if I ran into him on the street.

He has a grudge against Talk, which is why Coldplay will probably never play this masterpiece live again, as Chris once said in an interview. Apparently there are also some other older songs which are left out because Guy has something against them.

But of course that doesn't mean I dislike him because i obviously like all of them ! And I wish he would talk more in interviews...

I agree with the last part he and Will need to talk more they're the ones who go straight to the point and give clear answers.

I haven't heard about Guy being rude with fans before. I think he doesn't know how to handle the situation. In terms of how they treat fans, I think Jonny is the one who is sweeter with the coldplayers who approach him. He always has a smile for them.

And as someone said, each one is special and their brotherhood is unbelievable. But, I still think Guy and Chris are my favorite members :dazzled:

• Like 6

I haven't heard about Guy being rude with fans before. I think he doesn't know how to handle the situation. In terms of how they treat fans, I think Jonny is the one who is sweeter with the coldplayers who approach him. He always has a smile for them.

I agree with this. I don't think any of them are remotely rude. Guy and Will are definitely the shy ones, in my opinion. They're the ones who avoid fans simply because they don't want to deal with that situation and just want their privacy :P I think they really appreciate being famous and having a normal life :)

You mentioned that Guy and Will go straight to the point and give clear answers. This ability comes from thinking deeply about things, which introverted people do. So I'm suggesting that they are both introverted :D

• Like 8

From an artistic standpoint I don't really have a favorite member. They all have their way of giving something to a song or to live performances that makes it special.

But considering personality my favorite member is Chris. Maybe I would have a different favorite member if I we would learn a little more about the others and probably their closer to my own personality being more shy and introvert.

But the way Chris sees things and talks about them really has inspired me a lot to try to be a better and happier person and see the world in a different way.

To me he's like some kind of idol on a philosophical level, I love listening to his ideas of life so much! (Lol that sounds stupid:P)

And I admire him a lot for actually talking about these kind of things in interviews. Having deep thoughts is one thing but actually being able to talk about them, especially in Chris situation that the whole world might here it is a different thing.

I remember in one Ghost Stories interview he mentioned how he feels like he shouldn't be talking about this deep kind of stuff because it's awkward but he also really wants to. I can relate so much to that.

To me Chris is not who I can relate to the most considering personality, but more what I want to become like in most points.

And for me his songwriting is also part of his message. The words he write somehow have the ability to touch you deeper than anything else and seem to be relateable for so many people out there.

The messages of the songs and the way you can see it developing over time for me is one of the most important reasons to love coldplay.

Well, I just love Chris as you can see haha[emoji4] [emoji173]

• Like 9

I agree, completely. But I had it in my mind for a long time that he does least appreciate the fan connection of the four, as well. For example: when they finished a concert, they all wave with their hands, of course, I don't know if anyone has this feeling but to me it looks like Guy rather would go off the stage and lay down or so. And when they are doing a bow to everyone in the show 3 times in a row, they all seem to do it with love to the fans but Guy doesn't IMO. But as @alisbe said, maybe he's just a shy person and don't know how to handle these things. Altough I think Jonny is more shy he knows how to handle such things. KEEP SMILING ! :happy2:

And I too am not saying any member is less important than the other. Each member is just as important as the other !

• Like 6

I agree, completely. But I had it in my mind for a long time that he does least appreciate the fan connection of the four, as well. For example: when they finished a concert, they all wave with their hands, of course, I don't know if anyone has this feeling but to me it looks like Guy rather would go off the stage and lay down or so. And when they are doing a bow to everyone in the show 3 times in a row, they all seem to do it with love to the fans but Guy doesn't IMO. But as @alisbe said, maybe he's just a shy person and don't know how to handle these things. Altough I think Jonny is more shy he knows how to handle such things. KEEP SMILING ! :happy2:

And I too am not saying any member is less important than the other. Each member is just as important as the other !

Guy used to not even wait until they were off stage to sit down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=xHx7YrH9U9A;t=49

:lol:

• Like 6

My favorite Coldplay member is Jonny.

I think he's one of the most underrated guitarists in the realm of popular artists. He's not as technically proficient as some other guitarists, but that just owes a lot to the style of music that he generally plays. The music of Coldplay is more focused on melodies than technicalities. The only time you will ever hear Jonny "shred" like a metal guitarist is the end of GPASUYF. Listen to any live version from 2011 or 2012 and you will hear what I mean. :awesome:

But one thing I love about Jonny Buckland is that he's so humble. He's not the most versatile musician in the band... Will definitely deserves that recognition... but instead, Jonny can some up with some of the prettiest and catchiest riffs I have ever heard. You can tell he is inspired by The Edge and Ed O'Brien because of how much he enjoys effects and trying to create a diverse range of sounds from his chosen instrument. Sure, he has a signature delay sound, but he manages to do creative things with his sound in order to keep things fresh. Listen to Spies, Oceans, and Atlas to hear the haunting sound of his E-bow, creating atmospheric sounds and textures that would otherwise require a synthesizer.

And did I mention that Jonny is a good singer? Ok, he's not as good as Chris and Will, but I appreciate the moments when we get to hear him sing. Other than most versions of Don't Panic, you can really hear him on live versions of Politik and Daylight, harmonizing during the verses with his deep voice.

• Like 10

Thanks for these nice stories everyone

Oh, really? :) I think you should edit the status of your ''favourite Coldplay member'' :P

I think he's one of the most underrated guitarists in the realm of popular artists. He's not as technically proficient as some other guitarists, but that just owes a lot to the style of music that he generally plays. The music of Coldplay is more focused on melodies than technicalities. The only time you will ever hear Jonny "shred" like a metal guitarist is the end of GPASUYF. Listen to any live version from 2011 or 2012 and you will hear what I mean. :awesome:

But one thing I love about Jonny Buckland is that he's so humble. He's not the most versatile musician in the band... Will definitely deserves that recognition... but instead, Jonny can some up with some of the prettiest and catchiest riffs I have ever heard. You can tell he is inspired by The Edge and Ed O'Brien because of how much he enjoys effects and trying to create a diverse range of sounds from his chosen instrument. Sure, he has a signature delay sound, but he manages to do creative things with his sound in order to keep things fresh. Listen to Spies, Oceans, and Atlas to hear the haunting sound of his E-bow, creating atmospheric sounds and textures that would otherwise require a synthesizer.

And did I mention that Jonny is a good singer? Ok, he's not as good as Chris and Will, but I appreciate the moments when we get to hear him sing. Other than most versions of Don't Panic, you can really hear him on live versions of Politik and Daylight, harmonizing during the verses with his deep voice.

I really enjoyed reading this (you know why, right?) :)

And yes, he is very underrated for sure.

• Like 1

well, i don't really have a particular favorite member, because they are all equally important and equally Coldplay, but if you'll excuse me for a moment... *shuts off Chris mode*

i am here to talk about William Champion (since no one else has yet :P). :will:

Will, what can he do? really the question you should be asking is what CAN'T he do??? his name is WILL not WON'T and it shows.

:will: "i don't know how to play drums but you guys need a drummer? OK!"

and look at where we are now. dude is crazy on the drums. but that's not all - he plays piano, guitar, harmonica. all without ever having a middle name (that's relevant). really if there's a thing you can play, Will has played it. have you heard him sing? of course you have, he does that too. IMO he gives Beyonce a run for her money...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=_jgIMEk19JM;m=2;s=41

he's got the same enthusiasm as Chris on stage even if he's mostly sitting down (i mean, Chris is often laying down too :lol:) and hidden from the audience. he's calm and laid-back in interviews, always 100000000% (that's mathematically possible) genuinely kind to whoever he is talking to.

and you might be thinking now... OK... Will is cool and all... but can he act like Chris can? funny little skits, stuff like that?

YES.

of course, you know his famous role in Game of Thrones[emoji38]so not only can he do the funny bits, but he has taken on more serious acting as well.

but how does he compare to the other two?

Will Champion: is he a hot stud like Guy? Will has his own brand of gruff handsomeness.

will-champion.jpeg

is he a giggly cutie like Jonny? Will has the most adorable smile that will light up your heart.

tumblr_mhjremoFy61r19jeho1_500.jpg

two for the price of one.

so, in conclusion, Will Champion is THE MAN! (ok, i'm not good at conclusions... but you get the point)

God, you are one of mine!

Always he has been my favourite.

He has like an special aura, he is very protective with his friends, always has a nice word to say, has the big respect of the band, and important musicians. He is not afraid to tell not to crazy things C can say, he is the brainy one. He is very talented at almost everything, I love his paintings. As Chris said once, "he is like a superhero" He is amazing with drums, with his vocals... And finally I am happy with his choices about the films for them to soundtrack.

I almost forget, that he is a handsome and manly man <3!

I have to say that my least fav is Chris. But as one I love Coldplay so much!.

Norys

• Like 4

Totally agree with you!

He is my 2nd fav!

Norys

• Like 1

God, you are one of mine!

Always he has been my favourite.

He has like an special aura, he is very protective with his friends, always has a nice word to say, has the big respect of the band, and important musicians. He is not afraid to tell not to crazy things C can say, he is the brainy one. He is very talented at almost everything, I love his paintings. As Chris said once, "he is like a superhero" He is amazing with drums, with his vocals... And finally I am happy with his choices about the films for them to soundtrack.

I almost forget, that he is a handsome man and very mainly!

I have to say that my least fav is Chris. But as one I love Coldplay so much!.

Norys

:loveshower:

it's not that i like any of the members more than the others, but Will definitely deserves more love and acknowledgement than he gets :will::heart:

• Like 1

:loveshower:

it's not that i like any of the members more than the others, but Will definitely deserves more love and acknowledgement than he gets :will::heart:

hehe as I said you before, you are very diplomatic :awesome:

And Yes, He is THE MAN :blush:

• Like 2

This part stuck out as somewhat unexpected to me. May I ask why ? :)

Sure!

I don't like so much his personality, sometimes he is very awkward, specially at interviews.

Well in the last 6 years maybe he has improved and settled down, specially after his divorce imh.

He has amazing things of course, is a good guy and loves what he does.

I would say that his lyrics are his best part... but I really love more the music they do than the lyrics they write.

I don't like so much his personality, sometimes he is very awkward, specially at interviews

Funny, the awkwardness and dorkiness of especially the young Chris is exactly what I liked :) (minus some weird or corny comments he has also been doing occasionally and minus stuff like the Brits acceptance speech when he was a bit tipsy etc. - I am not saying everything Chris used to do was good, he did some embarassing stuff too in interviews)

• Like 3

are you talking about Brits acceptance speech of this year or maybe another one? I'm just curious about it lol

No, an older one from the Viva Era I think...i don't remember exactly but it is the one where he talks a lot of nonsense about being the biggest band in the world and asks Guy to say something but cuts him off in the very moment where he starts to speak...the one where he apparently afterwards admitted of being a bit drunk.

• Like 2