✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2017-08-25] NRG Stadium, Houston, TX (Cancelled)

AMDB9

http://sirocco.accuweather.com/adc_hurr_images/2017/aH/uhaH_2_640x480.gif

If you see this, Would we still get the rain by Friday when the concert starts? It looks like it could make landfall Saturday morning, the time my family was going to head back home...but that seems to risky.

This link (30 minutes old) discusses coastal landfall late Friday/Friday night and the system slowing to a crawl. By that time I would anticipate Houston will be be experiencing heavy rains already. By Saturday it sounds like your ability to move around is highly questionable.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/harvey-to-threaten-texas-with-major-flooding-to-end-the-week/70002520

This link (30 minutes old) discusses coastal landfall late Friday/Friday night and the system slowing to a crawl. By that time I would anticipate Houston will be be experiencing heavy rains already. By Saturday it sounds like your ability to move around is highly questionable.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/harvey-to-threaten-texas-with-major-flooding-to-end-the-week/70002520

Do you think they risk anything?

Do you think they risk anything?

I would hope not. The gloomier the forecast looks and flooding risk is reported, the more I'm thinking the show is cancelled. The next concern is whether it is rescheduled, which I'm holding out hope for.

If it was going to corpus I think the concert is as scheduled. Now the path is between victoria and houston so I am thinking that it gets cancelled and hopefully rescheduled. The Texans are not at NRG the second half of September which helps. But you would think that during that 3 week break that some of the band members have plans to head back home. Maybe they could squeeze us in right before the tour resumes after the break.

I would be so disappointed. I have tickets that touch the B stage and this is going to be my 12 year old's first concert experience.

If it was going to corpus I think the concert is as scheduled. Now the path is between victoria and houston so I am thinking that it gets cancelled and hopefully rescheduled. The Texans are not at NRG the second half of September which helps. But you would think that during that 3 week break that some of the band members have plans to head back home. Maybe they could squeeze us in right before the tour resumes after the break.

I would be so disappointed. I have tickets that touch the B stage and this is going to be my 12 year old's first concert experience.

A storm was the last thing on my mind to interfere with this concert Friday.

I'm disappointed as well. I was driving over from LA with my 11 year old daughter. It was going to be her first as well. Quite frustrating. I'm fairly resigned to the fact this isn't happening this week.

Not sure what happened to my last message, but I'm too lazy to type it out again.

Rescheduling really isn't as feasible as just outright cancelling usually is. The band plays in rain, as we've seen from things like the Soldier Field concerts in the past (and partially this year too). NRG stadium's roof will be closed as far as I've heard. When I called NRG's box office 15-20 mins ago, they said there is nothing yet on cancelling or postponing and it seems to be still going on as normal.

Your best bet is to try getting a hotel in the area in case the weather does get quite bad. I'm driving in from ATX myself Friday morning.

EDIT: I don't want to come off as weird or anything, but if the weather is bad, I don't mind offering my hotel room to anyone in the forum to just hang around at a safe & dry location until it lets up, regardless of the time of night. I'm staying in Katy though.

I'd rather people be safe than drive at night in the pouring rain, especially when it's likely going to flood.

Not sure what happened to my last message, but I'm too lazy to type it out again.

Rescheduling really isn't as feasible as just outright cancelling usually is. The band plays in rain, as we've seen from things like the Soldier Field concerts in the past (and partially this year too). NRG stadium's roof will be closed as far as I've heard. When I called NRG's box office 15-20 mins ago, they said there is nothing yet on cancelling or postponing and it seems to be still going on as normal.

Your best bet is to try getting a hotel in the area in case the weather does get quite bad. I'm driving in from ATX myself Friday morning.

EDIT: I don't want to come off as weird or anything, but if the weather is bad, I don't mind offering my hotel room to anyone in the forum to just hang around at a safe & dry location until it lets up, regardless of the time of night. I'm staying in Katy though.

I'd rather people be safe than drive at night in the pouring rain, especially when it's likely going to flood.

So if it makes landfall by Saturday, It would be too dangerous to drive back home right?

So if it makes landfall by Saturday, It would be too dangerous to drive back home right?

I can't really say because I don't know for sure until they get more updated landfall predictions. I've got a non-refundable ticketed event in DFW on Saturday night, so I need to check out of my hotel and drive out of the Houston area Saturday morning regardless. :/ If you need to drive back as well, do so carefully even if that means driving 20-30 miles below posted speed limit on the highway, and if you see any water on the road, do not drive through it.

I bought ponchos off of Amazon a few days ago and plan to wear flip flops walking to and from while carrying my shoes that I plan to do a lot of jumping around in. Fingers crossed.

That's a great idea, though I would mention getting vinyl rain ponchos and not the cheap thin plastic bag kind if you can because of the projected wind speeds; the thicker vinyl ones will hold up much better. Same with flip flops, I would suggest maybe getting water shoes instead only for safety reasons so you don't fall wearing shoes with no support if/when they get wet.

If I recall correctly, NRG Stadium doesn't allow umbrellas so if you take any from your car, expect to throw it away in the trash (or hiding it in bushes) before going into the stadium.

For the Chicago show last week, we took vinyl rain ponchos, caps, and water shoes because it was open roof and it rained like last year.

That's a great idea, though I would mention getting vinyl rain ponchos and not the cheap thin plastic bag kind if you can because of the projected wind speeds; the thicker vinyl ones will hold up much better. Same with flip flops, I would suggest maybe getting water shoes instead only for safety reasons so you don't fall wearing shoes with no support if/when they get wet.

If I recall correctly, NRG Stadium doesn't allow umbrellas so if you take any from your car, expect to throw it away in the trash (or hiding it in bushes) before going into the stadium.

For the Chicago show last week, we took vinyl rain ponchos, caps, and water shoes because it was open roof and it rained like last year.

Would it be a good idea to play during the tropical storm? This isn't just your average rain shower. What if the power goes out? Also does Coldplay know about the storm yet?

Would it be a good idea to play during the tropical storm? This isn't just your average rain shower.

Not really? I mean it's going to be inside, regardless. It's up to them.

But again, I'm not really sure until it gets closer to the time/date. We should just keep a close eye on their social media for updates on whether they're going to decide on cancelling/postponing or if the show is still going to go on.

• Like 1

the big problem with the predicted path of this storm is that they're saying it's going to hang around for DAYS. that's worse news than a stronger storm that actually keeps moving. If it does indeed hang around continuing to dump buckets and buckets of rain, Houston will flood badly. It will be a nightmare, at minimum, for those of us traveling...into next week. Of course, that's a big IF the forecast is remotely accurate.

Hi new to the forum but longtime fan. I live in east Texas. I saw Coldplay last year in Arlington and the show was spectacular. I have tickets to this show as well. It will be so disappointing if the show gets canceled, but it's not worth having it if anybody's safety will be in danger. Hopefully the storm will die down but that's not likely. From what I understand Houston floods easily right?

Not really? I mean it's going to be inside, regardless. It's up to them.

But again, I'm not really sure until it gets closer to the time/date. We should just keep a close eye on their social media for updates on whether they're going to decide on cancelling/postponing or if the show is still going to go on.

So perhaps tomorrow or Friday Morning, we will hear from them? It is their choice to keep the show on, or to cancel and postpone it to like next week perhaps?

Also it would be so awesome (For me anyways) for Midnight to play while the storm is going on outside. Perfect weather for the song in my eyes.

So perhaps tomorrow or Friday Morning, we will hear from them? It is their choice to keep the show on, or to cancel and postpone it to like next week perhaps?

I highly doubt they'd be able to postpone for a later date that soon, to be honest. Just keep checking on here and have your notification settings on. I'm sure if something is said, we'll post it here in the forums. If nothing is said on their social media, it's safe to assume that the show is going on as planned. I'll call the NRG box office line just in case Friday morning and report back.

Judging by the Accuweather and Weather Channel projections, it looks like the brunt of the storm will be "hitting landfall" on Saturday. It'll be right off the coast on Friday, so there will be rain and wind, but not as bad until Saturday. The flooding from it lingering, however...

The stage is being set up, so it still looks green lit.

If it IS a go still by Thurday to Friday Morning, I would be worried about the ending. Especially by Saturday, that's the day I am suppose to go back home...but...would it be too dangerous to drive back? That's what I'm worried about.

Simple Plan is also playing in Houston this Friday. Wonder what they'll do?

Some people on the Facebook event pages that are there setting up are saying something about possibly cutting Izzy and Aluna's acts so it can start at 7, and end earlier for the safety of those of us driving out of the area. Nothing confirmed though.

That would honesty be the best bet if they don't cancel/postpone.

I say go with your best personal judgement and keep an eye on things. If you want to not risk it, stay longer after the concert or don't go at all. Weather is unpredictable so there's no way of telling right now until we get much closer to the date, as I've been reiterating.

Some people on the Facebook event pages that are there setting up are saying something about possibly cutting Izzy and Aluna's acts so it can start at 7, and end earlier for the safety of those of us driving out of the area. Nothing confirmed though.

That would honesty be the best bet if they don't cancel/postpone.

I say go with your best personal judgement and keep an eye on things. If you want to not risk it, stay longer after the concert or don't go at all. Weather is unpredictable so there's no way of telling right now until we get much closer to the date, as I've been reiterating.

I'm going with my Uncle and Mother, but I don't know what my Mom will say. My grandma doesn't want us to go....but I guess if Coldplay starts early, that's better I think.