✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2017-08-25] NRG Stadium, Houston, TX (Cancelled)

AMDB9

Via Live Nation:

"Due to Hurricane Harvey, tonight’s Coldplay concert at NRG Stadium has been postponed. Ticketholders will be updated when there is further info. We urge all fans in the area to stay safe."

My heart is broken, but postponed doesn't mean cancelled...so far. :'(

When do you think the concert will happen. Surely not next week. Maybe 2 weeks or 3 weeks later?

When do you think the concert will happen. Surely not next week. Maybe 2 weeks or 3 weeks later?

I'm not going to presume anything right now. It's best for us to just wait for the official news as painful as it is, instead of thinking of what-ifs. I'm sure that if they choose a later date, they will give an option for people to get refunds if it doesn't work with their schedules.

• Like 1

"Hi everyone in Houston

We really wanted to play tonight, but sitting here all together watching the news about the storm we feel that we can't ask anyone to put their safety at risk. So, sadly, we will have to postpone.

We will give details of rescheduling/refunding as soon as we can. We are really sorry for the inconveniences this will cause. Stay safe and see you soon.

Love

Coldplay"

Posted on their official Facebook page.

IMG_4602.PNG.063ea7f10282d44a96c16a039f4e3cbf.PNG

I have a theory that they have planned a final US leg to this tour to cover the true Southeast as they have not visited Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Birmingham, New Orleans, Little Rock, Charlotte, etc... all cities that they have visited before (and in the case of Atlanta, a Coldplay favorite). I believe they will try to reschedule during this leg. This is only a hunch and I have nothing to go on... maybe it's just wishful thinking.

• Like 1

Very disappointed that they took this long to announce the rescheduling. Could have been done yesterday. Flew all the way from WA last night even with the possibility of getting stranded here for a couple of days. A lot of people could have avoided a lot of travel pains if they had taken precautions and made a definitive decision. Especially since it is obvious that a lot of people are travelling to the city in such a scattered stadium tour stop.

That said, great that they are rescheduling. But I won't be attending.

• Like 2

They have open availability from August 29 to September 21, looking at the tour date page.

An NRG Stadium employee that people have been following on instagram for updates says they'll supposedly be rescheduling for September, but it's not confirmed on any official social media (see attached image).

IMG_4605.PNG.83dcdaefa18ac164ef89ab3d999d472d.PNG

Very disappointed that they took this long to announce the rescheduling. Could have been done yesterday. Flew all the way from WA last night even with the possibility of getting stranded here for a couple of days. A lot of people could have avoided a lot of travel pains if they had taken precautions and made a definitive decision. Especially since it is obvious that a lot of people are travelling to the city in such a scattered stadium tour stop.

My thoughts exactly. I understand they were keen on doing the show and not postpone it, which is why they waited so long to see if they couldn't just make it happen, but they should have thought about all the people flying in from other places. If I had booked an expensive trip from somewhere else to go and see them and they cancel it just hours before, i would be really annoyed. The decision should have been made at least yesterday in order to allow people to cancel their booked arrangements where it is possible. Wonder how many people are - ironically - completely unnecessarily in the danger zone now because they came here thinking Coldplay would perform. Bad handling on thepart of the decision-makers.

• Like 2

I'm not going to presume anything right now. It's best for us to just wait for the official news as painful as it is, instead of thinking of what-ifs. I'm sure that if they choose a later date, they will give an option for people to get refunds if it doesn't work with their schedules.

I've never heard of a rescheduled concert that didn't also include a refund option for the people who wanted/needed one instead of attending the rescheduled date. It's probably safe to assume there will be one, provided the date actually is rescheduled.

I don't think there was a way to do it without upsetting a segment of the audience. If they had canceled early, some people would have been more upset about that, especially with the projected danger area and timeline shifting to the extent it has. There's no "good" way to handle the cancellation of a large scale public event like this. Unfortunately, it's always a crapshoot when you travel for an event like this, especially an outdoor event that's subject to weather.

• Like 1

I don't think there was a way to do it without upsetting a segment of the audience. If they had canceled early, some people would have been more upset about that, especially with the projected danger area and timeline shifting to the extent it has. There's no "good" way to handle the cancellation of a large scale public event like this. Unfortunately, it's always a crapshoot when you travel for an event like this, especially an outdoor event that's subject to weather.

I agree some group will be pissed off no matter how this was handled. The thing is, this was a category 3 hurricane since early yesterday at least, with expected rainfall of over 15-20 inches in Houston. There is a track record of how the city handles large rainfalls, and it is not good. Like @I ran away said, there are quite a few people unnecessarily in the path of a hurricane because of this decision to wait until hours before the show.

Anyway, I'm lucky because I'll catch them later when they come my way. But I feel that for an event of this scale, it was poorly managed. From the band's perspective, they may have have thunk they were putting the fans first by delaying the go no-go decision. But actually for the most part, it was not. Especially with the possibility of rescheduling and not cancelling altogether.

Now I'm getting out of here quickly before possible flooding and getting stranded.

On Ticketmaster's side, they sent out emails and calls right away with info on getting a refund if needed.

I agree some group will be pissed off no matter how this was handled. The thing is, this was a category 3 hurricane since early yesterday at least, with expected rainfall of over 15-20 inches in Houston. There is a track record of how the city handles large rainfalls, and it is not good. Like @I ran away said, there are quite a few people unnecessarily in the path of a hurricane because of this decision to wait until hours before the show.

Anyway, I'm lucky because I'll catch them later when they come my way. But I feel that for an event of this scale, it was poorly managed. From the band's perspective, they may have have thunk they were putting the fans first by delaying the go no-go decision. But actually for the most part, it was not. Especially with the possibility of rescheduling and not cancelling altogether.

Now I'm getting out of here quickly before possible flooding and getting stranded.

On Ticketmaster's side, they sent out emails and calls right away with info on getting a refund if needed.

To be frank, regardless of the show being on or off, people choosing to travel to a potential hurricane zone is on them, no one else. The truth is, despite how it's spun in the press releases, the band probably had very little choice in how the hole thing was handled. The promoter probably didn't want to make a call that would lead to refunding or other additional costs and ultimately the civic authorities probably decided not to let the show continue. The band (and the fans) are caught in the middle of forces bigger than they are.

• Like 2

To be frank, regardless of the show being on or off, people choosing to travel to a potential hurricane zone is on them, no one else. The truth is, despite how it's spun in the press releases, the band probably had very little choice in how the hole thing was handled. The promoter probably didn't want to make a call that would lead to refunding or other additional costs and ultimately the civic authorities probably decided not to let the show continue. The band (and the fans) are caught in the middle of forces bigger than they are.

Do you think the band will tell us on a new date next week?

Do you think the band will tell us on a new date next week?

Who knows? Though again I really don't think it's a situation that's likely to be up to the band themselves. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if this "postponement" eventually turns into a cancellation, especially if there's extensive hurricane damage to the area.

Of course people are responsible for their own decisions. Doesn't change the fact that the situation was very poorly handled. I wouldn't say for such a major band the band doesn't have a say. But of course ultimately this may come down to local authorities and tour promoters. Still poorly handled.

Of course people are responsible for their own decisions. Doesn't change the fact that the situation was very poorly handled. I wouldn't say for such a major band the band doesn't have a say. But of course ultimately this may come down to local authorities and tour promoters. Still poorly handled.

Fair enough, I just don't see much point assigning blame for an act of god type situation that was out of anyone's control.