✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2017-08-25] NRG Stadium, Houston, TX (Cancelled)

AMDB9

It's ironic this hurricane is named Harvey.....an homage to Phil perhaps?

But seriously, I'm so sorry you guys are having to go through this. I'm a veteran of the Chicago/Soldier Field shows including the one that ended early last year. It was my daughter's first concert ever. I hope the reschedule gets worked out well for at least most of you. Sounds like that ship has already sailed for some. You have my best wishes. :)

• Like 1

Not sure if any other Houstonians remember, but this isn't the first time a hurricane made Coldplay cancel/postpone a show. I remember in 2005, Hurricane Rita came the same week as the Coldplay concert at The Woodlands Pavilion.

Also, Coldplay dedicated a song to Houston in Miami during the show tonight, apparently a one-off song they're only playing once.

Check out the setlist and the video of the song. I transcribed (roughly) some of the lyrics, and well, I started crying. Hope everyone on this board from H-Town are safe.

Dreaming of Houston

Oh, I'm dreaming of when I get back to Houston / I'm dreaming of that fair and special place /

I'm dreaming of when Houston has no problem / In that city where then send (you?) into space /

I'm dreaming of when I get back to Texas, Corpus Christi, Harris County, Galveston /

There's a harmony that forms there in Houston / Oh, Houston, you've got to keep on keeping on /

From Miami, we are sending love to Houston / We are praying that you make it through the rain /

I know nothing's going to break the will of Houston / Oh, we can't wait to go down there again /

I am dreaming of when I get back to Texas, Corpus Christi, Harris County, Galveston /

There's a harmony that forms there down in Houston / Oh, Houston you've got to keep on keeping on.

Thanks to Chris, Jonny, Guy and Will (and Phil) for doing this. Houston loves you for it.

The Astros have already played multiple home games at Minute Maid post Harvey. I suspect that the Texans will at most miss one home game on September 10th but even that could get played at NRG. The concert could be as early as mid/late September but I guess we won't know until it is announced. Hoping for a Friday or Saturday night.

The Astros have already played multiple home games at Minute Maid post Harvey. I suspect that the Texans will at most miss one home game on September 10th but even that could get played at NRG. The concert could be as early as mid/late September but I guess we won't know until it is announced. Hoping for a Friday or Saturday night.

Yep, the Houston Texans just recently announced their home opener will be played at NRG Stadium on September 10th as scheduled. Hopefully this will ease any worries on the promoter's behalf about the stadium's ability to handle the concert in the coming weeks and get the show rescheduled asap.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-Jaguars-game-confirmed-for-NRG-Stadium/91044260-1926-4787-8579-b7264892a7db

Ok, I'm going on record that the concert will be rescheduled on Friday October 13th. Yep, Friday the 13th. I have no inside info, just a stupid prediction.

I am thinking Oct 11/12. The Texans play on the 15th and I feel like they need more time to clean/set up the field. The 13th would be great though!

I'm flying from NYC for this show, since I used to travel to Houston for work-related activities.

For those of you traveling to Houston, where are you guys staying?

NRG Stadium is FAR from the downtown area.

We will be lucky to see them play this year. I decided not to get a refund and wait it out but waiting it out blindly sucks. Gives nothing to look forward to or minimum time to plan (work etc. ) I hope they come on Halloween in everybody show up in costumes though lmao. That would be cool.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

would you be disappointed if Coldplay reschedules the Houston show soon but the concert ends up being a non-standard show with several guest appearances, etc? or would you simply be happy to attend the show period? I would be happy to attend the show period but my preference would be to attend a standard type show with only a minor deviation geared to dedicate to Houston recovery and aid. beggars can't be choosy right?

For the money I paid, I would very much like to see 2 hours of Coldplay. If they add other stuff onto that, great but I at would like to see the standard set. I think they maybe waiting till after the meat of the hurricane season. Maybe they fit us in at the end of the North America leg which the last show right now is 10/8/17?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...I guess they are just too busy for us. Pretty crushing considering that I have looked forward to this for almost a year and it was a Christmas present to my son. My seats touched the extended stage. Don't know where to go from here and surprised that this is the result. What do you do when your favorite band disappoints you like this?

Well dang this really kinda sucks

I guess it'll probably be at least a few years before they come back around. Getting "priority access" to the next show in Houston is not much of a consolation considering I probably will go regardless but really sucks considering how long we waited for this

Was running over the weekend and skipped all but one CP song that shuffled on my mp3 player. The one song only made it a minute because I was thinking about something else and didn't notice what was playing. Once I did, I quickly skipped it.

I think that is how I am going to have to deal with it for a while now. Just stop listening to them until I am not disappointed by the thought of listening to them. It is hard to reconcile something you enjoy so much disappoints you so much. I am off it.

• 1 year later...

Well 16 months later I am going to close the loop on this from my prospective. After taking a lot of Coldplay time off I can listen to them again and enjoy it. I just recently purchased the butterfly package and watching the DVD brought back a lot of memories. It brought back happy memories of going to the concert in Dallas but it also brought back sad memories of the cancelled show in Houston and everything that went along with Hurricane Harvey including the loss of live and property (ironic name of the storm).

My son who would have gone to the Houston show with us and was very excited about going in August 2017 but didn't seem nearly as excited watching the DVD. He was 17 months more of a teenager not that interested in his dad's music anymore. It just seems like a great opportunity was lost for him to experience such a great positive concert. That feeling will always remain until I hopefully one day get to take him to a show.

Edited by gpttigers
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Well it was worth the wait.  5+ years after the show was canceled because of Harvey, I was able to take my 2 oldest boys to see them in Houston.  They both had a blasted and did a lot of singing and jumping.  The Houston #2 song was a nice touch.  Thank you CP for helping me finally put this to bed.  /The End

• Love 1

19 hours ago, gpttigers said:

Well it was worth the wait.  5+ years after the show was canceled because of Harvey, I was able to take my 2 oldest boys to see them in Houston.  They both had a blasted and did a lot of singing and jumping.  The Houston #2 song was a nice touch.  Thank you CP for helping me finally put this to bed.  /The End

Right there with you! I was set for the Houston show in 2017 as well, but Harvey had other plans. I'm happy they finally came back and were able to give us a show worth dancing to. It was a blast.

• Like 1