✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Richard Ashcroft - Solo Work & United Nations of Sound

dave's girl

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rising from the Ashcroft

Peruse any British music magazine which has recently profiled Richard Ashcroft and chances are one of three descriptions — egomaniac, self-absorbed and superior to others — will surface.

Quite surprising, considering he opened his conversation to Metro with an amiable, “Hello. How’s the weather over there?” and maintained a gentlemanly tone throughout. This is the same Richard Ashcroft who reputedly once compared his artistry to Jesus Christ? Apparently someone has a personal axe to grind with the former Verve frontman.

“I could talk to any guy for 20 minutes about my insecurities and my own failings and how that’s a big driver for most of what I write about,” says, Ashcroft, 34. “But that won’t enter the conversation because of the preconceived ‘image’ one guy may have of me before he arrives.”

So what has been his ‘image’ of late? Since the Verve’s split in 1999, the man once dubbed Mad Richard has now focused on being Domesticated Richard with wife of 10 years, former Spiritualized keyboardist Kate Radley, and his two boys Sonny, who turns 6 this coming Thursday, and Cassius, 1.

“Away from making records, that’s been my life,” Ashcroft says succinctly.

Still, music drives Ashcroft to create, best summed up on a cut from his month-old third post-Verve effort, Keys To The World: Music Is Power.

And like the Verve classic Bittersweet Symphony, Music Is Power is largely driven by a sample — in this case, Walter Jackson’s 1964 hit It’s All Over, produced by Curtis Mayfield.

“A friend of mine made a compilation for me and I put it on while I was driving home from the south of France one night,” Ashcroft explains. “When the introduction of It’s All Over came on, I thought man, I could do albums with this kind of stuff. The phrase Music Is Power then popped into my mind as I kept playing this intro over and over.”

Ashcroft’s mulling over whether to release this as his next single. The first, Break The Night With Colour, already affirmed his star status by climbing to No. 3 on the U.K. charts.

Yet renewed interest in Ashcroft was truly sparked when he joined Coldplay for a rendition of Bittersweet Symphony during London’s Live 8 concert last July. It was there that Coldplay frontman Chris Martin introduced Ashcroft as “the best singer in the world.”

High praise indeed, though Ashcroft downplays the moment. “I’m sure it’s reawakened some people,” says Ashcroft, though noting that, aside from working with former Verve drummer Pete Salisbury on all three solo albums, it’s “doubtful” a full band reunion will ever materialize.

“For me, it’s all about the soul of my music, the lyrics and the connection it all makes to people.”

Richard Ashcroft’s popularity is on the rise again.

Ashcroft opens for Coldplay when the two acts hit the Air Canada Centre stage Wednesday and Thursday.

http://www.metronews.ca

2 Richard Ashcroft tickets, Doncaster (moved from The Lounge)

Bought on ebay for £70 (yeah I know, I was desperate though) but am now unable to attend. If anyone is interested just send me an email or post on here ([email protected]). Be quick though cos my mate's mulling over them too and I've posted on another board. Sorry if this is in the wrong board by the way!

I moved this from The Lounge - hope this is the right place :)

• 3 weeks later...

~Richard Ashcroft~

I know there're many people who think that he sucks and that after The Verve he lost his talent.But I'm pretty sure that talented person is always talented and I really like his solo albums.

If you like this musician, please, welcome.

• 3 weeks later...