✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Marlon Brando...

Mimixxx

:stunned: :/

(CNN) -- Marlon Brando, the stage and screen actor whose performances in "A Streetcar Named Desire," "On the Waterfront" and "The Godfather" earned him plaudits as one of the greatest actors of all time, has died, his attorney told The Associated Press. He was 80.

Brando died in Los Angeles. The cause of death is unknown.

Brando shot to fame in the late 1940s with his groundbreaking performance in Tennessee Williams' play "A Streetcar Named Desire" as the brutal, animalistic yet shy Stanley Kowalski.

Brando, a devotee of the Method, gave a raw, vital performance under Elia Kazan's direction that had critics swooning. Using the technique, fostered by the Russian director Konstantin Stanislavsky and popularized at Lee Strasberg's Actors Studio, actors draw on their own psychology and experience in creating roles.

Brando's first film, "The Men" (1950), earned raves, but it wasn't until the 1951 film version of "Streetcar" that he became a major movie star. Three years later, Brando won his first Oscar for his performance as ex-boxer Terry Malloy in "On the Waterfront," also directed by Kazan. One of his lines from the film, "I coulda been a contender," has been widely imitated.

His roles in "Streetcar," "Waterfront" and "The Wild One" (1953) established him as an icon of the 1950s. He followed those parts with hits in "The Teahouse of the August Moon" (1956) and "Sayonara" (1957), but his career went into decline in the 1960s, particularly after his mannered performance as Fletcher Christian in 1962's big-budget flop "Mutiny on the Bounty."

His career revived, however, with perhaps his most famous role, that of Don Corleone in "The Godfather" (1972). Director Francis Ford Coppola had only Brando in mind for the role, a decision not favored by producers, who almost fired the filmmaker over the decision.

Coppola was rewarded when the film became a huge hit -- it was the highest-grossing movie of all time until "Jaws" came along -- and Brando's quietly regal, brooding performance as a Mafia kingpin was the film's centerpiece.

The actor followed up "The Godfather" with a role in a different kind of film, Bernardo Bertolucci's "Last Tango in Paris" (1973), in which he played a depressed American expatriate who strikes up a charged affair with a young Paris woman (Maria Schneider). Brando and Schneider were nakedly fearless, both physically and emotionally; the film was rated X upon its release.

:huh: :huh: ok so who is this Marlon guy n e way???...did he save the planet or something??? :lol: :lol: :huh: :huh:

:o

well, I guess you're too young to know who he is.

He was one of the greatest actors of all time - put simply, he was absolutely amazing. He was in The Godfather, On The Waterfront, Apocalypse Now! and A Streetcar Named Desire.

:huh: :huh: ok so who is this Marlon guy n e way???...did he save the planet or something??? :lol: :lol: :huh: :huh:

Are you kidding? :o

:/ actually no...I rarely watch TV or go to the movies bcuz I'm not interested in it...my time is consumed by soccer, school, friends, sk8ing, Coldplay and oh yea, more soccer...hey where can I fit TV with that kind of schedule??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hes incredibly fat right now, but he was a fantastic actor. Its a shame hes so obese these days.

The last movie I saw him in was Johnny Depps "The Brave", that movies storyline sucked so bad, but his acting was very great. His older movies were brilliant.