✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

~*~ The Official Will Champion Appreciation Thread ~*~

Breakfast_of_CHAMPION

heheehe that sounds like me! I swear if I had a nickle for every exclamation I had used on this board, I would have a million dollars!!!! WOOT!! I havent been able to listen to the lamaq interview yet. This computer stinks, I will have to listen to it when i get to my sisters tomorrow. I am not sure if they still have it on the site but about a month ago I sent an email question for Will when he and Guy were on Lamaq and they read it on the air! It was funny listening to them making fun of me for my question being "obviously american" he even read my full name! It was sooo cool.

• Like 1

Hi Mary! I wasn't expecting you on at all this weekend! So good to see a fellow Will addict on! How have you been?

Also, what question was it!?! I listened to all the interviews already but if you don't get a chance to listen soon, all interviews are in the Rhythm Section Diaries on BBC 6. You lucky lady once again...although, if Will or anyone ever had a chance to read a question of mine out loud they wouldn't be able to pronounce my name at all!

Yay for WILL! WE LOVE WILL!

...and I'm spent... :lol:

Sorry I missed you, i was working on the cfu shirt and it took forever, even though it was simple. I didnt think I was gonna be on but I am not going out of town until tomorrow. I will look for the question from lamaq, it wasnt during the rythm section diaries, i dont think. Its been a while and I cant remember when exactly it was.

I noticed that in all of Coldplay's interviews, they're not only hilarious and clever but they're also really intelligent! Not that I didn't know that before but when I listen/see the interviews, it just strikes me again that they're just SO STINKING AMAZING!

hehe i know they are super smart! Thats why like will so much he teaches me new words that i never knew exsisted. Like Cacphous i think thats how u spell it i can't remember! anyway i could seriously sit and listen to them all talk all day long.

Mary which one was it they answered ur question?????

^^I can definitely sit and listen to them talk all day long also!

I just had an idea, not sure if this was ever brought up in this thread or any thread really. Since we're all Will-centric on this thread, I figured we could post any Will interviews we find. Well, interviews that don't just quickly says his name and what instrument he plays anyway. Real interviews with more than a few words from our favorite member! I'm on a mission...

So if any of you folks find any fantastic Will interviews, please post them. I've read a lot of interviews and found some that focused on Will. I'll search for them when I wake up tomorrow!

Wow, I accidently found this, I dont know how its weird but I thought you Will obsessed people would like to read it.

A PAST CHAMPION

As many of you will already know, sadly Sara Champion died peacefully on Sunday 14th May 2000 after a long battle with cancer. PAST does not normally include obituaries, but it would be strange indeed not to include a tribute here to an editor who was responsible for PAST from July 1997 and who continued her role despite her illness. She will be greatly missed at Council Meetings of the Society and will be fondly remembered for her contribution to archaeology and the manner in which she made that contribution; learned but accessible and with a clear sense that prehistory was fun. Sara was an avid user of new technology, bringing her experience in this medium into PAST and encouraging Society members to surf the net themselves via her very successful column 'Champion's choice'.

As the new editor of PAST, I am aware that Sara is a hard act to follow and I am sad to inherit the role in this way since my own memories of her span over twenty years. I still remember sitting as a student in a first year lecture at Southampton listening to Sara describe excavation strategies, going on a fieldtrip to Ireland with her where Irish culture past and present was consumed with relish and meeting her the other side of the world in Sydney at a Women in Archaeology conference where her boundless energy was noted by Australian colleagues. Her interests and activities mean that she will be missed here and abroad. On behalf of the Prehistoric Society I would like to thank Sara for doing such a good job as editor and offer our sympathy to Tim Champion and family. Many members of the Society were present at Sara's cremation service and found the address given by her nephew Alex Campbell to be a moving and very apt summary of the lady herself. With the approval of her family the text, designed to be spoken, is reproduced below.

Linda Hurcombe

SARA CHAMPION AN APPRECIATION

It is my very great honour and privilege to be able to say some words about dear Sara and her life. This, in itself, is slightly daunting as Sara always seemed to be living many lives at the same time. That isn't to say the lives were separate - quite the opposite because as we know the various strands all intertwined as parts of a glorious action-packed whole. There was a "family life" as a loving and greatly loved wife and mother; as a dear daughter and sister; or as a rather exciting aunt - "Aunty Mud" as she was affectionately called. There was her "professional life" as a valued and highly respected work colleague, organiser, teacher or tutor. Then, too, a 'social life' as a great party giver, an enthusiastic cook, a bon-viveur, a disc-jockey, a sports fan, a chorister and so on. Whatever the activity and setting, Sara herself was always the same - in the centre of things, open, friendly, generous, lovable - someone with a passion for everything life has to offer.

Sara was born in 1946, the second daughter in a family of four children. A remarkable drive and energy is fairly characteristic of the Hermon family but it was Sara who inherited this in the greatest measure. From her earliest days she apparently needed little sleep. Certainly throughout most of her adult life about 4 hours was all she generally required, but even this 2-3 hour headstart every day can only partially explain how she managed to cram so much into a day.

Six years of her early childhood were spent in Kenya and Tanganyika as it then was. Her education there was left in the hands of Miss Wilde who one can only assume nurtured Sara's love of learning from the start. Shortly after the family returned to the UK Sara went to Benenden where, as well as achieving academically, she excelled at sport principally lacrosse, swimming, and death-defying backwards diving from the highest boards.

It was apparently a single book, "Testimony of the Spade" by Geoffrey Bibby, which kindled Sara's passionate interest in Archaeology leading her to Edinburgh to study for her MA at the department run by Professor Stuart Piggott. Academia was her obvious vocation and in 1968 Sara moved from Edinburgh to St Hugh's College, Oxford to work for her D.Phil - concentrating particularly on the European Iron Age under the supervision of Professor Christopher Hawkes. It was at Oxford she also met dear Tim whom she married in 1970 at St Paul's Church in Knightsbridge.

In 1972 the Doctors Champion moved to Southampton and one imagines them rapidly assimilating themselves into the community. In the mid to late seventies Edward and William were born - Sara easily balancing motherhood with the demands of a variety of both formal and informal jobs. These included a two-year research fellowship in archaeology, and part-time teaching for the University Archaeology Department and the Adult and Continuing Education courses. There was also her part time role for English Heritage, overseeing the upkeep and preservation of the scheduled monuments of West Hampshire and Dorset. For these jobs, and in her later roles as Lecturer in Archaeology and Course Organiser for related humanities subjects for New College, Southampton, her undisputed abilities as a communicator and organiser were allowed full reign. Those who participated in her many field trips, both for the university and for ACE, recall vividly Sara's informal leadership and her natural talent for imparting her knowledge of and her enthusiasm for her subjects. These trips took her to many places she knew and loved - back to Africa to Zimbabwe, to the Isle of Man, and to her favourite west coast of Ireland.

But Sara had her fingers in many more pies. Always interested in music, theatre, opera and fine art she joined the Southampton Philharmonic Choir with whom she must have sung for about 20 years as a second alto. It will not surprise anyone to learn that she gradually re-organised her teaching life so that Monday evenings were kept free for rehearsals. Inevitably she found her way onto the choir committee and involved herself with concert promotion and fund-raising. Other arts organisations benefited from these artistic leanings - the Nuffield Theatre, the Mayflower and the Turner Sims Concert Hall where she served on the boards of the Trusts and Clubs or worked as an usher. Friends and family were also beneficiaries of Sara's early knowledge of future events at these venues - finding themselves invited as part of large groups attending a performance. Like other members of the family my own Christmas presents from Sara and Tim for the last few years were tickets to piano recitals by the likes of Vladimir Ashkenazy or Alfred Brendel. Everyone always looked forward to these events, especially as they were usually preceded and followed by drinks and food at Welbeck Avenue.

Food and drink - Sara - another perfect match. From every trip abroad both wine and food were collected, shared and enjoyed. Sara was a hostess to the manner born and seemed undaunted by preparation of food for vast numbers of people invited to her home. Our family gatherings at Christmas, New Year or Easter, often involving 20 people or more, sometimes occurred the day after some large party where some other "5000" had been entertained. I'm sure nobody at either event went either dry or hungry. Some restaurants with large and fancy kitchens would find this a trial - Sara managed these miracles effortlessly at home in her own unique kitchen! These mass catering skills were also evident early in life - I am told Sara helped run a charities café in Edinburgh when she was an undergraduate.

There were many other things that Sara was stimulated by or enthusiastic about and I'll just list some of them. There was sport - watching football at the Dell and keeping up to date about events occurring in the rest of the sporting world. There was her love of subversive comedy and her in-depth knowledge (to degree level at least) of the film roles of Kevin Costner. And there was her active involvement in politics and her interest in women's issues. And there was the World Wide Web.

Sara was, of course, one of those people who realised early the potential value of the Internet and E-mail as a means of communication, a source of information and indeed as an educational tool. She was devoted to it and kept up professional and private correspondence and acquaintance with many people around the world through this medium. It also became very important in her work as she lectured, demonstrated and wrote articles on the application of Internet resources in the teaching of archaeology. This, and her interest in the "forgotten" women of Archaeology were important facets of her work in her last few years.

Sadly these last few years also saw Sara waging a determined battle against the cancer that has so recently taken her from us. Her courage during these 3 to 4 years of illness was absolutely characteristic she refused to let the illness curtail her many activities any more than was necessary. Despite her awareness of the seriousness of her situation she seldom lost her customary cheerfulness, selflessness and positive outlook. She retained to the end both her passion for her work and her interest in the lives and achievements of her friends and family particularly her three special men.

Sara packed so much into life that she cannot help but be sadly missed. She touched many lives and will be remembered with admiration, fondness and love.

Alexander Campbell

Thanks for that article on Will's mum, indeed, Mandy. It's clear to see where Will got his intelligence and musical interests. It's sad to see that someone like that had their life cut off so short by cancer.

...I wonder if Edward is single also...and if he looks like Will...

Although, part of my extreme attraction to Will is the way he bangs on those drums. Hmm...maybe Edward wouldn't be adverse to putting on a pink shirt, a scarf and banging randomly on drums for me. :lol: When you're done with him Mary, I get him next! Holy crap, it just hit me again about just how obsessed I am. I had someone else tell me to see professional help yesterday! Bastards...

Thanks for that article on Will's mum, indeed, Mandy. It's clear to see where Will got his intelligence and musical interests. It's sad to see that someone like that had their life cut off so short by cancer.

...I wonder if Edward is single also...and if he looks like Will...

Although, part of my extreme attraction to Will is the way he bangs on those drums. Hmm...maybe Edward wouldn't be adverse to putting on a pink shirt, a scarf and banging randomly on drums for me. :lol: When you're done with him Mary, I get him next! Holy crap, it just hit me again about just how obsessed I am. I had someone else tell me to see professional help yesterday! Bastards...

next chance I get I am heading for england to stalk edward champion! :lol: my friend ang went to southampton to see a footie match and saw a guy on the train and she said he looked soo much like Will that it could have been his brother, it probably was him! :o and Lucinda, I wouldnt worry about people telling you that youre obsessed, I hear that crap all the time and I just say "Yeah,so?" they never have a comeback for that ;)

http://www.insidecx.com/interviews/archive/coldplay.html

This is a link to an old article but they interviewed only Will and since we don't see too many of those out there, I decided to post it. Anyone else have any Will interviews?

:lol: No worries, Mary! I just told my friend "thanks". I take it as a compliment and shows that I'm a highly devoted fan! Glad to see you're online again! Did you get your situation worked out with all the Texas shows?

Hullo! How y'all doing? :D

I'm loving Mr Champion. Just wanted to tell you that. I constantly have to defend him to my friend who refers to him as "the fat ginger one" :evil3: Recently been reconsidering our friendship.... :lol:

Going to see coldplay at earls court on the 16th. It's my first time. Never been able to get tickets before! Got them on ebay this time...paid an arm and a leg for them! But well worth it I think.

tara! :)