✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

U2

So I see 3 ways for them to go:

1) Do the same thing (sonically) as the last 3 albums. NLOTH is somewhat different but essentially they're the same.

2) Go Pop again. Mainstream, Gaga style. :no:

3) Or the opposite. Go experimental, Zooropa/Radiohead/even MX.

What else is left? :\ (Our Celtic music album idea.)

I wish they would go back to their patented TUF/TJT sound. U2 should sound Grand. :nod:

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld
So I see 3 ways for them to go:

1) Do the same thing (sonically) as the last 3 albums. NLOTH is somewhat different but essentially they're the same.

2) Go Pop again. Mainstream, Gaga style. :no:

3) Or the opposite. Go experimental, Zooropa/Radiohead/even MX.

What else is left? :\ (Our Celtic music album idea.)

I wish they would go back to their patented TUF/TJT sound. U2 should sound Grand. :nod:

Their best song in my opinion from Pop onwards was City of Blinding Lights. It's no surprise either that it's the song which most sounds like it could have been taken from The Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree era. So their biggest strength musically lies in going back to that era. But that's not challenging enough for U2 so I really doubt it. But as much as I think it's unlikely they should get a bit of Celtic rock/folk going on. Try this Clannad & Bono collaboration. Bono's voice as ever on this is fantastic. Obviously it's very Enya like this so the idea of U2 going full on Enya would be ridiculous but nonetheless it's still decent.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_klil_eOEY]Clannad & Bono - In A Lifetime (1985) - YouTube[/ame]

Whoa, I like that song, thanks. :wideeyed:

Let's wait and see. I'd prefer anything to NLOTH vol. 2.

As with any artist, I just want to be surprised, not hear a continuation of the previous album or something everyone expects...

Guest howyousawtheworld
Whoa, I like that song, thanks. :wideeyed:

Let's wait and see. I'd prefer anything to NLOTH vol. 2.

As with any artist, I just want to be surprised, not hear a continuation of the previous album or something everyone expects...

Yes, anything different to NLOTH would be good. It's not that it doesn't sound different to their 2 before. For me it sounds different but not different enough and the fact it just lacks any real punch or soul.

Hey if you like the Celtic music of Clannad you might like Capercaillie - a sort of Scottish version of Clannad. Like them they sing a lot of their songs in the Gaelic language (may be a bit weird on first listen but you'll get used to it!) and they also have some beautiful melodies and instrumentals. ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVup_-eFcKQ]Fear a'Bhata (Capercaillie) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niTLH9VaKc4&feature=related]Capercaillie - Calum's Road - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks, I like the songs... You know, the Celts founded Singidunum, present day Belgrade, where I live. :)

Well, it's time for them to reinvent themselves, like they did with Achtung Baby and All That You Can't Leave Behind.

I hope they'll have the energy and will power to do it. In the meantime, pleanty of old U2 stuff for me to discover...

I'm watching From The Sky Down now. Prospector, you should watch it since you love Achtung Baby. ;)

Well I've watched it and I love Achtung Baby even more now! It's fucking brilliant! I can't wait to watch Zoo TV.

I guess I was kinda nested in the 80s and it took me a while to really get into their 90s reinvented sound, but now I love it!

Guest howyousawtheworld
Well I've watched it and I love Achtung Baby even more now! It's fucking brilliant! I can't wait to watch Zoo TV.

I guess I was kinda nested in the 80s and it took me a while to really get into their 90s reinvented sound, but now I love it!

Zoo TV Live From Sydney will blow your mind if you haven't seen it! That and U2 Go Home: Livr From Slane Castle are easily the best two music dvds I have.

Guest howyousawtheworld
I haven't. I'm sure it will. :awesome:

Now, Elevation tour Boston or Slane Castle? (Or both?) :thinking:

The latter has the making of The Unforgettable Fire. Is it like From The Sky Down?

It is a bit like that. It shows them in the studios, one of which is Slane Castle itself. It's not a film but more of a trawl through the archives. It's a good watch.

God knows what happened to Songs of Ascent and god knows whether the songs that were meant to be on that album (some of which were performed on 360 of course) will ever see a proper release. Did they shelve it altogether or have they lumped it in with the Dangermouse sessions? Regardless I think there's still a hell of a lot U2 can give us.

I know! And I like Northstar too! You know U2 has to make everything perfect before they release anything...which I hate...that's why it takes so long.

Here's what I think is going to happen...

Since they know they'll be playing in arenas for the next tour, they are going to have to strip down their music and their sound again...very similar to ATYCLB.

They need another "Beautiful Day" to help make them popular again...basically give fans and non-fans a shot in the arm.

Originally Posted by Nikola;5184881

I haven't. I'm sure it will.

Now, Elevation tour Boston or Slane Castle? (Or both?)

The latter has the making of The Unforgettable Fire. Is it like From The Sky Down?

It's all a good view.

I like watching them all in order...you know...seeing them grow musically.

"baptized" :D

Yeah, Moment Of Surrender, I got stuck on that song too.

Get On Your Boots would have probably been better as track 1, like Vertigo.

I'm not saying that they're not catchy enough, they shouldn't be, but meditative ballads also need a distinctive melody.

I'm listening to this while writing, it kinda explains what I'm trying to say:

Makes sense. I also agree, maybe if "Get On Your Boots" were in a different spot, and maybe if it hadn't been released as the first single...maybe if "Magnificent", which is more "classic U2" had been released first, then down the line they'd released "Get On Your Boots", there might've been more ability to digest that whole thing better.

It's sort of like when they released "Discotheque" as the first single off of Pop. Even if U2 can do "dance" music or whatnot well, for some reason most listeners don't respond well to it from them. They seem to want their U2 more in the style of their big stadium songs or their "One"s or "Mysterious Ways" sorts of deals or something. They want them to rock.

(Personally, U2's forays into dance and such don't bother me much, but then again, I'm a strange person when it comes to music tastes sometimes, so...:p)

I'd never had a chance to hear the remixed version of "I'll Go Crazy..." until that clip on the last page. I actually rather like it and find it kinda interesting-it seems to harken back to their Pop days, or the sound of those remixes on their 1990-2000 best of, but yet still with a current sort of beat to it. If they do go in a dance sort of vein with their next album, oddly enough it'd be perfect given how many top 40 songs are of that nature nowadays, but at the same time, there's always the danger of them coming across as 50 some year old men who are trying to "fit in". So that experiment could either work brilliantly or fail horribly, depending on how convincingly they pull it off.

By the way, I like that Nirvana song you shared there.

What concerns me is that they've found themselves at a point of awkwardness creatively and as a band. I think for the first time they've looked at themselves and thought 'we've been doing this for a very long time and it ain't getting easier'. This is reflected in those comments by Bono to Q Magazine when he said he doesn't know whether the people want another U2 record and whether they were still relevant. I don't think it was helped by them seeing their contemporaries and good friends R.E.M. calling it a day. Also despite giving a fantastic Glastonbury performance it still didn't stop the critics, made all the more worse with the performance their supposed 2nd in line rivals Coldplay gave the following night.

Yeah, I've noticed Bono seemed rather shaken up a bit by how bands like Coldplay (or Muse) are starting to really look like a true threat, at least in some people's eyes. He's often always welcomed competition, but I do think his back scare, the fact that he's over 50, and seeing younger bands starting to set up their own status is unnerving him some, definitely.

They know NLOTH wasn't taken too kindly by fans or critics and I think they reflected that uneasiness by the juggling of experimentation they've been doing with the likes of Dangermouse, RedOne etc. God knows what happened to Songs of Ascent and god knows whether the songs that were meant to be on that album (some of which were performed on 360 of course) will ever see a proper release. Did they shelve it altogether or have they lumped it in with the Dangermouse sessions? Regardless I think there's still a hell of a lot U2 can give us.

I fully agree. I don't think once one hits a certain age there has to be a stopping point, and I've often found more to relate to in the lyrics of U2 than, say, Katy Perry. Many artists have found themselves reinvigorated and still turning out great music the older they get, and U2 are clearly talented people, there's no reason they have to stop, should stop.

For all Bono's bravado, I think he does often care a lot more about what people think of him and the band than he lets on. And while listening to constructive criticism is definitely important, at the same time, I hope he and the rest of U2 just do what they feel comfortable with. If I know a band's heart and soul went into making an album, that's all I care about. Record sales, popularity, critical acclaim, none of that matters to me. I just want the artists I love to be proud of what they put out. I want to be able to listen to an album and go, "This was clearly a labor of love" or "They sound like they had a lot of fun making this" or whatever. If there's any reassessing U2 needs to do of their work, their lives, whatever, fine, please go for it. But stop worrying so much about trying to please everyone. It never works. I speak from experience :).

Love "In A Lifetime", by the way, such a gorgeous song indeed. Will have to check out those other clips shared, too, with the whole Celtic vibe and such.

Why did they consider naming the album that is now known as "Achtung Baby" - "Adam" with the cover being a picture of the naked Mr. Clayton showing off his substantial genitalia? Is the album inspired mostly by him or something? I don't see it...

u2-adamclayton.jpg

u2acthungbabyfrontor8.jpg

:no:

Guest howyousawtheworld

I don't know where the idea of Adam Clayton being photographed naked came from but clearly the Adam thing was in reference to the Bible character. There is a lot of biblical references in U2's music, especially Until The End Of The World (amazing lyrics about a conversation between Judas and Jesus) but I'm not entirely sure why they thought of that as a possibility. I do know they also planned to name it Man, opposite their first album Boy in the sense that the band had fully grown up. That would have been quite good, but Achtung Baby is just perfect!

Why did they consider naming the album that is now known as "Achtung Baby" - "Adam" with the cover being a picture of the naked Mr. Clayton showing off his substantial genitalia? Is the album inspired mostly by him or something? I don't see it...

u2-adamclayton.jpg

u2acthungbabyfrontor8.jpg

:no:

Well, they did record the album in Berlin, so German influence in regards to the title, I'd guess. Why that specific word and title, though, not sure. I'm sure I've heard the story somewhere before, but I'm blanking on it now.

As for Adam being naked? Couldn't tell ya. Maybe he just likes the occasional bout of nudity :p?

Guest howyousawtheworld

The phrase Achtung Baby itself comes from The Producers I'm pretty sure. Also it is the faintest of faintest whispers but Bono does actually whisper 'Achtung Baby' on The Fly just before the bridge/Edge's sick solo around 2.14 seconds in. But you can barely hear it but if you concentrate REALLY hard you can hear something at 2.15 that sounds a bit like scratching. That's him whispering Achtung Baby. But it's there even if it is underneath layers of pure awesomeness!

U2 is now one of my 2 favorite bands! I'm so happy I got the urge to listen to their albums properly, for no particular reason!

Just watched Glastonbury and I was so surprised when Bono sang Yellow! :awesome: Great little tribute / passing of the torch (that's how I see it).

The whole show was fantastic. Imagine seeing U2 and Coldplay in one weekend. Lucky lucky people...

And the media said that both bands were disappointing. Haha. Yeah right...

Thanks for bearing with me and my silly questions. :D I don't know why I waited so long to check them out...

Guest howyousawtheworld
U2 is now one of my 2 favorite bands! I'm so happy I got the urge to listen to their albums properly, for no particular reason!

Just watched Glastonbury and I was so surprised when Bono sang Yellow! :awesome: Great little tribute / passing of the torch (that's how I see it).

The whole show was fantastic. Imagine seeing U2 and Coldplay in one weekend. Lucky lucky people...

And the media said that both bands were disappointing. Haha. Yeah right...

Thanks for bearing with me and my silly questions. :D I don't know why I waited so long to check them out...

Both bands were received really well by the media especially Coldplay's. I only read one article which slated both bands but that's inevitable because you just get people who do that when face with commenting two massive acts. Coldplay's set especially was well received, particularly by those who watched it and were at the festival. Plenty have said since that it was one of the best headline sets in recent years. Blur and Bruce Springsteen are the other two to have really pulled it put of the bag lile that for me. There's no doubt they out did U2 for me.

No problem :). We've all been the "new fan" at one time with some artist, and you don't learn more if you don't ask, right? And a fan's a fan no matter when they get into a band. You can't help things like your age or your location in the world or whatever else.

I'd heard generally good things, too, about the Glastonbury shows. Especially Coldplay's (which was, indeed, fantastic-I could only watch via YouTube 'cause I'm not cool enough to live in England and actually go to this festival. But it sure looked like a real good time, and the crowd was incredibly receptive, which always tends to make a band perform that much better). Haven't yet seen U2's set from that festival, I'll have to sit and watch it some night. I'd heard about them doing "Yellow", which is definitely nice.

I'm glad there aren't any smug people here. :nice: I'm starting all these discussions you've probably gone through several times, but that's only cos I'm indeed infatuated. :wacky: I'm at the moment in love with various live versions of Moment Of Surrender. That particular one with unexpected Yellow at the beginning put a huge stupid smile on my face. :D

The only review of the festival I read called them disappointing and only praised Beyonce. She was good though. My sister is a fan.

But I'm glad that's not the predominant opinion. Both bands were brilliant.

I actually kinda preferred U2's performance. I saw Coldplay's Madrid gig before Glastonbury, and it's my favorite show they did last summer. So watching Coldplay after U2 sounded kinda bland to me, I don't know, like they had problems with the mics or something... Maybe it's just the quality of the video. And was Chris (Coldplay) watching U2? I didn't see them in the crowd, but I think I saw an interview with Chris saying that they watched them.

The phrase Achtung Baby itself comes from The Producers I'm pretty sure. Also it is the faintest of faintest whispers but Bono does actually whisper 'Achtung Baby' on The Fly just before the bridge/Edge's sick solo around 2.14 seconds in. But you can barely hear it but if you concentrate REALLY hard you can hear something at 2.15 that sounds a bit like scratching. That's him whispering Achtung Baby. But it's there even if it is underneath layers of pure awesomeness!

I'm trying but I can't hear it! :D Wikipedia explains all alternative names, and the one they chose was definitely the best.

They only mentioned "Adam" with no explanation, but I also figured it was meant to refer to the biblical Adam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achtung_Baby#Packaging_and_title

Achtung Baby is, like, the gold standard of reinvention. :nod:

Guest howyousawtheworld
I'm trying but I can't hear it! :D Wikipedia explains all alternative names, and the one they chose was definitely the best.

They only mentioned "Adam" with no explanation, but I also figured it was meant to refer to the biblical Adam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achtung_Baby#Packaging_and_title

Achtung Baby is, like, the gold standard of reinvention. :nod:

You are so right. It really is the gold standard of reinvention! I've never heard such a radical change in sound from any band. Not even The Beatles experienced such a radical shift I feel. For them it was more progressive as each album went by.

You are so right. It reappy is the gold standard of reinvention! I've never heard such a radical change in sound from any band. Not even The Beatles experienced such a radical shift I feel. For them it was more progressive as each album went by.

I love that. Coldplay changes a lot too. But kinda like the Beatles...