✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

U2

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for the netherlands: on ned 3 1th januari from the sky down at 10 pm

You can also purchase it through Amazon. It won't be in the states until January 24. But I think you can order it through UK's Amazon now.

FYI - For those who bought the super or uber AB box sets...From The Sky Down is cut/edited. There's more film on the Showtime/BBC version which is the one from Amazon. Yeah I know this blows...typical that they make fans go out of their way to buy their shit. AAAHHH!!!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/U2-Sky-Down-Blu-ray-u2/dp/B005SD2606/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325449456&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: U2: From The Sky Down [blu-ray]: u2, Davis Guggenheim: Movies & TV[/ame]

AND HAPPY NEW YEAR U2/COLDPLAY FANS!!!

And check out those pants! :wink3:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv-BX15M8Co&list=FLBPWuE5zaGrxOyuyBrVBm1Q&feature=mh_lolz]U2 - New year's day, live at Red Rocks 1983 HQ - YouTube[/ame]

Guest howyousawtheworld

^ One of my favourite New Year's Day performances! I also love the Dortmund 1984 performance. Just simply one of the greatest songs I have ever heard!

*bump* Love is Blindness is a bloody amazing song as I've recently discovered.

I love that song. Easily one of their best.

Couldn't tell you anything about the girl, though.

That's so weird that that documentary is edited down. I don't have Showtime, so I can't watch the documentary, and I've yet to get the Achtung Baby set. But I'll keep that in mind.

Red Rocks is a super cool place. I saw Muse there in 2007. Never seen U2 live, though-it's a goal of mine to change that in my lifetime.

I think All That You Can't Leave Behind is my favorite U2 album...

u2alltha08.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co6WMzDOh1o]U2 - Beautiful Day - YouTube[/ame]

One day I'll be as cool as Bono and planes will fly at my command... :nod:

LOL.

I love Pop, myself, but All That You Can't Leave Behind is fantastic, too. "Walk On" is one of my favorite U2 songs ever, and "Kite" is incredibly personal to me.

U2, Muse, Coldplay - still hoping I will get to see them live in this lifetime...

Aw, yeah, I hope you can, too. That'd be great :). I've yet to see Coldplay as well, so we're in the same boat on two of the bands.

Joshua Tree is my all time favorite.

Where The Streets Have No Name is the best U2 song...especially live since everytime it brings me to tears.

Also on the top of my list are Beautiful Day, Magnificent, and Even Better Than the Real Thing.

I've seen U2 ten times, Coldplay twice, and Muse twice thanks to U2...Muse opened for U2 back in 2009.

Since Muse and Coldplay will be around for a while, I highly recommend that you have U2 on the top of your must see list. They've claimed their next tour will be in arenas...which is good because that's when they do their best and the set list changes every night. Also too, they're getting older and each tour is a possible "last" tour. Whatever you do...run, drive, fly...to see U2 next tour. You'll never know when it could be their last. Let's just say that 2010 was very scary after Bono hurt his back and we thought it was over. He came back, but he wasn't 100%. He was really pushing it. Let's hope he's getting the rest he needs now.

Here's my new favorite U2 tune...I was at this show on the outside rail...and I got to hear it live a few more times...it was freakin' awesome!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ0yf_ukDTE&feature=related]U2 - Even Better Than The Real Thing (360° Denver PRO-SHOT) - YouTube[/ame]

All That You Can't Leave Behind is conflicting for me. On one hand, it's both their safest and poppiest album. On the other hand, it was probably a necessary move for the band after Zooropa and Pop were so experimental and pretty divisive among the fanbase (personally, Zooropa grew on me a lot, but I never liked Pop), so it brought back their mainstream attention and industry relevance. And "Walk On" is a great anthem.

Actually, The Joshua Tree is absolutely my favorite U2 album. It may be cliche but it's definitely their best album.

I'm a new fan, I've had my aversions towards U2 but songs like Bullet The Blue Sky and Exit have won me over forever!

I love the American wilderness feel of the album that unites all songs; it's become one of my all time favorite albums.

I cannot believe it's 25 years old! It sounds so fresh...

Listening to The Unforgettable Fire now and it's awesome. :wacky:

All That You Can't Leave Behind was an easy listen. I like it more than How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, I find them very similar and comparable.

No Line On The Horizon may also be similar to these two, I still haven't listened to the whole album.

I've also listened to Achtung Baby, and even though One is probably my favorite U2 song, I'm not impressed by that album.

It lacks that unifying atmosphere of The Joshua Tree...

PS I've "bought" the 360° Tour DVD, I'll watch it soon... What other concerts from any tour do you recommend? :thinking: (Downloading Rattle And Hum now.)

Exit is a hugely underrated song.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbvSqCKDP-k]U2-Exit - YouTube[/ame]

You know he got the cure

But then he went astray

He used to stay awake

To drive the dreams he had away.

He wanted to believe

In the hands of love.

His head it felt heavy

As he came across the land

A dog started cryin'

Like a broken-hearted man

At the howling wind

At the howling wind.

He went deeper into black

Deeper into white.

He could see the stars shine

Like nails in the night.

He felt the healing

Healing, healing, healing hands of love

Like the stars shiny, shiny from above.

A hand in the pocket

Fingering the steel

The pistol weighed heavy

And his heart he could feel was beating

Beating, beating, beating,

Oh my love, oh my love

Oh my love, oh my love.

So hands that build

Can also pull down

The hands of love.

Ooh, yeah, that's always been one of my favorites off The Joshua Tree. I do love that album, too, that was the first one I ever brought of the band's work. "With Or Without You" is one of those songs I cannot ever get tired of hearing-it'd be desert island material for me.

Muse opened for U2 back in 2009.

I would have KILLED to see that billing. I freaked like a total fangirl when I saw the clip on YouTube of Edge joining Muse for that cover of "Where The Streets Have No Name" that they did at Glastonbury in 2010. That was so awesome.

I'll certainly heed your advice about seeing U2. You're right. Muse and Coldplay have years ahead of them (thankfully). Though, then again, the Stones are celebrating 50 years (!) of being a band this year, so... But still, yes, will do everythiing humanly possible to see U2 at least once in my lifetime. Thanks for that clip, great performance, they sound fantastic (I'm still floored by how much money the 360 tour raked in).

Listening to The Unforgettable Fire now and it's awesome. :wacky:

Ahhhhh, that album's in my top 5 U2 albums as well. I remember when my family was moving from Wyoming to Colorado in December 2006 I listened to that album the whole trip through Wyoming, and man, it just worked against the cold winter afternoon, the landscape, everything. It's a beautiful album, and I love that Chris Martin's big on "A Sort Of Homecoming", 'cause I love that song a lot, too :).

I'd definitely recommend full listen to No Line On The Horizon-that's my favorite of the band's '00s output, actually. As for Achtung Baby, heh, oh, you'd be in a minority with the people I know, a lot of the U2 fans I talk to LOVE that album and hate their recent work. Myself, I love it all. But hey, to each their own *Shrugs*. Plus, "Mysterious Ways" and "One" were when I first really became conscious of U2, and when I was a kid I heard those songs a lot when that album came out, so, you know, childhood memories and such.

As for DVDs...well, despite your not being into Achtung Baby, their ZooTV show from Sydney is generally seen as a massive highlight. And so far I think it's still on VHS, I don't know if it's come out on DVD yet, but their show at Red Rocks in 1983 is also notable.

I love 'Rattle & Hum'. It's fun to see the band bum around America, there's some great performances ("Bullet The Blue Sky" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday" particularly notable ones), and, well, shallow moment here, but I think Bono looks smokin' HOT in that movie :D.

I'll give Achtung Baby another try. ;)

But for now, I can say I prefer their older stuff - Joshua Tree / Unforgettable Fire. Followed by ATYCLB.

I have yet to listen to the first 3 albums... And Zooropa. And that's it, I think... :thinking:

I don't know why I'm being so random, perhaps I should have listened them chronologically.

Probably because I'm sometimes in the mood for new stuff, sometimes for the old.

I have noticed that they sort of make albums in trilogies. :D

Boy/October/War

The Unforgettable Fire/The Joshua Tree/Rattle And Hum

Achtung Baby/Zooropa/Pop

All That You Can't Leave Behind/How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb/No Line On The Horizon

Do you agree? Maybe they'll change it up a bit again... I've heard they're releasing a new album in 2012?

Oh, good, glad you gave it another listen, but hey, like what you like, I hope you don't feel like I was thinking everyone's supposed to like that album or something :). Certain stuff just clicks with some people better than others sometimes.

I wasn't chronological when I got into the band, either :p. I kinda skipped around. But definitely understand about the moods-some days I'm into listening to one era in particular. And sometimes some songs just took a while to really catch me, sometimes it takes the right moment for a song/album to properly "hit" you, so to speak.

You are right, too, about the trilogies, they do seem to like doing that, and each one has a certain sound and theme and coherence about them. You can always tell when the transition to a new "era" is starting. Which I like. From what I've been hearing it seems like Bono's back scare has kinda lit a bit of a fire underneath him, after some of the stresses of the last couple years I think he and the band are itching to revamp their sound once more. Whatever they do, I know I can't wait to hear it-so far I keep hearing 2012, so who knows, we'll see. I'll be keeping my eyes and ears open.

If I had to pick my top 5 U2 albums, it'd be:

1. Pop

2. The Joshua Tree

3. The Unforgettable Fire

4. Achtung Baby

5. War

And every so often there'll be ties at the 4th and 5th spots because sometimes I can't quite choose-I'll hear another album and think, "Oh, yeah, that should be up there, too".

Zooropa is a strange bag for me. I love the first half, but then the latter half gets a bit spotty for me. It has my least favorite U2 song ("Some Days Are Better Than Others"), but then it also has one of my absolute favorite, top 5 U2 songs of all time as well ("Stay (Faraway, So Close)"). But I still do suggest listening to it, because there is some great stuff on there, and your opinion may be different from mine anyway. I'm also curious to hear your thoughts on the first 3 albums when you get around to them, too.

PS I've "bought" the 360° Tour DVD, I'll watch it soon... What other concerts from any tour do you recommend? :thinking: (Downloading Rattle And Hum now.)

To me, the Elevation Tour will be the best tour of all, and 360 (last leg) is a very close second. Not only was the Elevation tour where I first saw the guys in person, but I have die hard friends that tell me that Elevation was their best...especially after 9/11. It's too bad there's no good recordings of that last leg, but there are some over on Youtube...very, very emotional. My first U2 show was on November 25, 2001. It was so spiritually uplifting and something that us Americans needed so bad. U2 hit the spot at the right time.

On that note, I highly recommend getting Boston Elevation...even though it was recorded before 9/11, you can feel Bono's pain since at that time his father was literally on his death bed. He passed away two months later.

Also U2 Go Home is very emotional because it was filmed just 2 days after his father passed away, and Bono refused to cancel the show. It's kind of hard to watch.

I remember the band performing at the Super Bowl the following year after 9/11. When that dropcloth came down and all the names of the victims started scrolling...god, that got to me. It was a very respectful way to honor their memories, I think.

I completely forgot about their performance at Slane Castle. Yes. Very emotional, indeed, when Bono sang "Kite" (a song which I now fully empathize with him on, as "Kite" was my choice of song to play at my dad's funeral).

Zooropa is a strange bag for me. I love the first half, but then the latter half gets a bit spotty for me. It has my least favorite U2 song ("Some Days Are Better Than Others"), but then it also has one of my absolute favorite, top 5 U2 songs of all time as well ("Stay (Faraway, So Close)"). But I still do suggest listening to it, because there is some great stuff on there, and your opinion may be different from mine anyway. I'm also curious to hear your thoughts on the first 3 albums when you get around to them, too.

Speaking of Stay and the Elevation Tour...after watching the Boston DVD for the first time I fell in love with this acoustic version and thought it was way better than the recorded version...U2 is so much better live...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P57vCiV5f8]U2 - Stay (Faraway, So Close) - Live on the Elevation Tour - HD - YouTube[/ame]

[Also too I have the hots for JT and Elevation Bono :wink3: ...I mean, just look at my avi!]

I remember the band performing at the Super Bowl the following year after 9/11. When that dropcloth came down and all the names of the victims started scrolling...god, that got to me. It was a very respectful way to honor their memories, I think.

I completely forgot about their performance at Slane Castle. Yes. Very emotional, indeed, when Bono sang "Kite" (a song which I now fully empathize with him on, as "Kite" was my choice of song to play at my dad's funeral).

Ah yes...the best Super Bowl half-time performance ever! Hands down! Even my non-U2 friends agree. Take that performance in New Orleans times 100 and you have the last leg of the Elevation tour. They had that very same sheet during their last leg.

Funny, I kept going on and on about U2's show that I saw back that November to my in-laws, and they thought I was just going overboard. Well, that night during the Super Bowl performance my mother-in-law watched it with me. She started balling. She figured out right then I wasn't going on about nothing and making stuff up. She was like, "I had no idea...that's so great they did that." I was like, "You see!"

Sometimes it's hard being a U2 fan. People always ask me why I go on and on about them. Then I say, I can't explain it to you. You just have to see them live. U2 is an experience.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVBLNxKVjb8]U2 - Superbowl Half-Time Show 2002 - HD - YouTube[/ame]

I am so sorry for your loss.

My Mom passed away in July 2002 after she said she wanted to go see U2 with me when they came back. The Vertigo tour was kind of tough because I wished she was there, but I had a feeling she was there spiritually. But I did get my Dad to go to a show during the Vertigo tour. After the show I asked him, "So what did you think?" He said after a very long pause looking for the words, "I can't describe it...there are no words...that was the best show I had ever seen. Now I understand why you like them so much and why you see them over and over again."