✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

U2

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld
We had this little discussion which should be continued here.[/url] :)

That's my initial reaction to the first 3 albums. I love October.

Really glad you like October! It's a fine album! What's your favourite from it? I think mine would have to be Tomorrow. Really dark song - written about Bono's experience when he learnt his mother had died.

I love "Tomorrow". Definitely the highlight of the album, no question. I'm glad you like it, Nikola :).

I can add to this thread that I'm going to check out The Arcade Fire, but I have no desire whatsoever to get into Muse.

They're unusually popular amongst Coldplayers. I am puzzled actually how many people have to like the same 5 bands here. They're like clones.

Haha, yeah, I've noticed that on some other boards I go to as well, the tendency to like a lot of the same music and such.

Arcade Fire are good. I only own their first album, but I've heard stuff from their second one and heard their third album, they've got some great songs.

I also love Muse, but hey, to each their own. If you're not interested, I won't force you to change your mind :).

Tomorrow for me too! :nod:

+I Threw A Brick Through A Window, Scarlet, October, Gloria...

Tomorrow really stands out. Perhaps they should have incorporated the Celtic sound into all of the songs.

Like they did on The Joshua Tree with American roots music. +The whole desert feel...

And I'd like to compliment the drumming in all songs and piano use in the title track (atypical for U2).

I discovered Fast Cars yesterday. It's great!

I like all of their "world music" efforts. They should do it more often.

An album inspired by their native Irish/Celtic music would be awesome.

I'm not impressed by No Line On The Horizon, they need to change direction.

A Celtic Joshua Tree is one way to go. :D

They could also steal a bit from Coldplay (and vice versa) by doing more piano songs...

Songs of the day: Tomorrow, Please, A Man And A Woman, Miracle Drug, Love Is Blindness...

Yesterday they were mostly from The Unforgettable Fire - the whole album actually, but especially:

Wire (OMG that chant at the end), The Unforgettable Fire, Bad, MLK...

God I'm hooked... :D

Guest howyousawtheworld
I discovered Fast Cars yesterday. It's great!

I like all of their "world music" efforts. They should do it more often.

An album inspired by their native Irish/Celtic music would be awesome.

I'm not impressed by No Line On The Horizon, they need to change direction.

A Celtic Joshua Tree is one way to go. :D

They could also steal a bit from Coldplay (and vice versa) by doing more piano songs...

Me and my brother have been saying this since NLOTH was released! I don't dislike NLOTH and while there are some good moments on it, the album's just a bit of a drag. FEZ Being Born is probably the most interesting song on the album for me. But songs like Stand Up Comedy, Get On Your Boots and I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight are very forgettable.

Me and my brother have been saying this since NLOTH was released! I don't dislike NLOTH and while there are some good moments on it, the album's just a bit of a drag. FEZ Being Born is probably the most interesting song on the album for me. But songs like Stand Up Comedy, Get On Your Boots and I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight are very forgettable.

Really? :D They should listen to us. :nod:

They're kind of stuck in a rut. The last album is definitely not as good as the previous two.

I only really like Get On Your Boots and Magnificent. But I agree that the beginning of Fez-Being Born is the most interesting thing on the record.

I don't see anything left for them to do if they go in the same direction...

I like No Line... myself *Shrugs*. "Magnificent", "White As Snow", "Breathe", "Cedars Of Lebanon" (dark, sad song, but I love the lyrics), "Moment Of Surrender"-some of my favorites.

"Stand Up Comedy"-I like the music in it, but I hate the title.

I know your comments about U2 finding a new direction are being echoed by many, though. Where they'll go next, who knows, but yeah, it'd be cool to see them do some revamping yet again. They're clearly capable of it.

I Threw A Brick Through A Window

:nod: One of my top picks on there, too.

Tomorrow really stands out. Perhaps they should have incorporated the Celtic sound into all of the songs.

Like they did on The Joshua Tree with American roots music. +The whole desert feel...

YES. That would've been lovely. The Celtic feel is one of the things I love most about "Tomorrow", and I often thought that, too.

I don't know if you knew about the story with October, that the original lyrics Bono had written for that album were stolen in the early '80s, so they had to come up with whole new stuff. Be curious to see what the album would've been like had they not lost those lyrics.

And I'd like to compliment the drumming in all songs and piano use in the title track (atypical for U2).

The piano in "October" is gorgeous. It fits the title, makes me think of a cold, gray fall day, very lonely, isolated sort of feeling. Which makes it sort of odd to like a song with that sort of sad imagery, but hey :p.

Agreed on the drumming, too. That's one of the best parts of "I Threw A Brick Through A Window".

Also, love that desktop background. That's beautiful.

Guest howyousawtheworld
I like No Line... myself *Shrugs*. "Magnificent", "White As Snow", "Breathe", "Cedars Of Lebanon" (dark, sad song, but I love the lyrics), "Moment Of Surrender"-some of my favorites.

"Stand Up Comedy"-I like the music in it, but I hate the title.

I know your comments about U2 finding a new direction are being echoed by many, though. Where they'll go next, who knows, but yeah, it'd be cool to see them do some revamping yet again. They're clearly capable of it.

:nod: One of my top picks on there, too.

YES. That would've been lovely. The Celtic feel is one of the things I love most about "Tomorrow", and I often thought that, too.

I don't know if you knew about the story with October, that the original lyrics Bono had written for that album were stolen in the early '80s, so they had to come up with whole new stuff. Be curious to see what the album would've been like had they not lost those lyrics.

The piano in "October" is gorgeous. It fits the title, makes me think of a cold, gray fall day, very lonely, isolated sort of feeling. Which makes it sort of odd to like a song with that sort of sad imagery, but hey :p.

Agreed on the drumming, too. That's one of the best parts of "I Threw A Brick Through A Window".

Also, love that desktop background. That's beautiful.

When you list them as individual songs they are actually really good but for me it just doesn't quite work as a part of a larger body. But I think Moment of Surrender is probably amongst the best songs they've written. Lyrics in that are brilliant.

The only song I don't really care for on Horizon (maybe I just haven't "discovered" it yet, so I won't say it's bad, as I may come to regret it...) is unknown caller (always felt like it dragged on to me) and I never really got into cedars of Lebanon.

Other than that I absolutely love that album. I also really want to see that movie Linear they did. if anyone knows where I can watch it or buy it please let me know. Also white as snow is tragically underrated.

I've been working on a U2 singles collection since my Dad brought home some Really early ones he had. Fire, A day without me, 11 o clock tick rock, Gloria, and A Celebration. I have since also bought Where the streets have no name. I also recentlly saw my local record store has all Josua tree singles for sale I think, so one day I may purchase those.... Anyone else got any U2 vinyls?

I'm glad you guys like the Celtic Joshua Tree idea. :D That would be awesome... I'm surprised they haven't done it yet. Before the Joshua Tree.

October (Tomorrow) was the only thing that came close. I didn't know about the stolen lyrics. (You are talking about the album, not the song?)

Did he try to remember them or did he write new ones on purpose?

I've listened to No Line On The Horizon today only for the second time in it's entirety.

I don't know... I do love some songs but I get bored when I listen only to them and no songs from other albums.

I get a feeling that Bono talks too much and doesn't really sing. Like, he used to sing his heart out in the 80s...

The album could have used some more enoxification, it would have made it more interesting.

I'm a believer in the basic song structure. I like melodic music, you know. The melody is the heart of the song.

I don't like to call them hooks because they bring up a negative connotation and refer to catchy pop songs.

Rather than that, melodies are immortal regardless of genre. Beethoven's 5th symphony has the same "hook" echoing through.

A lot of songs on No Line On The Horizon just don't have a decent melody that gets you interested in the song so you can rember it and hum it leter.

Fair enough assessment. Now that I think about it, you are right, there's not a lot of "hummable" songs on there, no. Not really a lot of songs that are the kind that will stick in your head all catchy-like. Much more meditative/thoughtful. Which is probably why the middle section with songs like "Get On Your Boots" and "Stand Up Comedy" and that probably throws people off so much, all that couched in the middle of an otherwise quieter album.

howyousave, glad we're in agreement on "Moment Of Surrender". I've said it before, every time I hear that song I feel like I should be getting baptized or something.

Cheese Nip, I don't have any U2 vinyl, no. I know my dad used to own...The Joshua Tree, at least, I believe, on vinyl, but we don't have it anymore, we lost a lot of our vinyl over the years with all our moving around and stuff, sadly. Hope you can manage to scrounge up as much of that and the singles as you can find. I'm still lacking in those areas, too. I have this crappy habit of living in towns where that sort of extensive availabilty of older, hard to find music doesn't exist :(. Or if it did at one time, it doesn't anymore.

October (Tomorrow) was the only thing that came close. I didn't know about the stolen lyrics. (You are talking about the album, not the song?)

Did he try to remember them or did he write new ones on purpose?

Yeah, the whole album's worth of stuff. I don't know if he tried to recall any of the old lyrics or not, I imagine he might well have-wouldn't surprise me. But he did have to come up with new lyrics, yes. Which would drive me nuts, I'd think.

"baptized" :D

Yeah, Moment Of Surrender, I got stuck on that song too.

Get On Your Boots would have probably been better as track 1, like Vertigo.

I'm not saying that they're not catchy enough, they shouldn't be, but meditative ballads also need a distinctive melody.

I'm listening to this while writing, it kinda explains what I'm trying to say:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg-yYi8saZY]nirvana-something in the way - YouTube[/ame]

Anyway, not as successful as the previous two albums Grammys-wise, but it gave them the most successful tour of all time. :sneaky:

P.S. My album of the day though is War. :nod:

Ah yes! I like Fast Cars too! Anything you can shake your butt to is good :D

And since I'm such a huge U2 fan, I own every album on vinyl except for one...Best Of '80-'90...very rare and very expensive. I have some 12" singles as well. I completed the R&H set, but I'm missing one off of the JT set. And I have a few others like Lemon...it's cool because it's transparent yellow.

As far as NLOTH is concerned, the album is better to listen to while in your recliner at home cranked up on your home sound system. Interesting, there is a DVD that goes with the album if you bought the box set. Basically through this DVD you listen to the whole album in the background while you watch this motor bike dude drive through Europe...it's kind of interesting and the scenery is nice. It was U2 being more experimental than trying to play for the masses.

The last thing I heard from the band was that they wanted to produce a dance type album since the Crazy Remix was such a huge hit during the tour. But who knows. We'll never know until Bono leaks the new music to the fans on the beach out behind his mansion near Nice, France.

This is the direction I think they're heading...but it's anybody's guess...they keep changing producers...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llHlZ9FT7VU&feature=relmfu]U2 - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (U2 360°) - YouTube[/ame]

Guest howyousawtheworld
Ah yes! I like Fast Cars too! Anything you can shake your butt to is good :D

And since I'm such a huge U2 fan, I own every album on vinyl except for one...Best Of '80-'90...very rare and very expensive. I have some 12" singles as well. I completed the R&H set, but I'm missing one off of the JT set. And I have a few others like Lemon...it's cool because it's transparent yellow.

As far as NLOTH is concerned, the album is better to listen to while in your recliner at home cranked up on your home sound system. Interesting, there is a DVD that goes with the album if you bought the box set. Basically through this DVD you listen to the whole album in the background while you watch this motor bike dude drive through Europe...it's kind of interesting and the scenery is nice. It was U2 being more experimental than trying to play for the masses.

The last thing I heard from the band was that they wanted to produce a dance type album since the Crazy Remix was such a huge hit during the tour. But who knows. We'll never know until Bono leaks the new music to the fans on the beach out behind his mansion near Nice, France.

They were definitely working on material with RedOne (Lady Gaga's producer) but they shelved those sessions in 2011 so I think they got rid of that dance type album. They've also done a good bit of work with Dangermouse and I believe their work on that was actually quite fully formed. Haven't heard much about it since but I believe the plan is to release an album produced by Dangermouse with these tracks on it late this year or sometime in 2013.

What concerns me is that they've found themselves at a point of awkwardness creatively and as a band. I think for the first time they've looked at themselves and thought 'we've been doing this for a very long time and it ain't getting easier'. This is reflected in those comments by Bono to Q Magazine when he said he doesn't know whether the people want another U2 record and whether they were still relevant. I don't think it was helped by them seeing their contemporaries and good friends R.E.M. calling it a day. Also despite giving a fantastic Glastonbury performance it still didn't stop the critics, made all the more worse with the performance their supposed 2nd in line rivals Coldplay gave the following night. They know NLOTH wasn't taken too kindly by fans or critics and I think they reflected that uneasiness by the juggling of experimentation they've been doing with the likes of Dangermouse, RedOne etc. God knows what happened to Songs of Ascent and god knows whether the songs that were meant to be on that album (some of which were performed on 360 of course) will ever see a proper release. Did they shelve it altogether or have they lumped it in with the Dangermouse sessions? Regardless I think there's still a hell of a lot U2 can give us.

Ugh I don't want them to go GaGa. :sick:

That remix of I'll Go Crazy is cool. That could work...

I don't feel there's a lot left for them to give to us. :sad:

I feel they've been doing the same thing over and over again.

But we'll see... I hope they prove me wrong...

We'll never know until Bono leaks the new music to the fans on the beach out behind his mansion near Nice, France.

That didn't sound stalk-ish at all. :D