✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

U2

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep besides Coldplay, Green Day, Muse and Oasis, U2 are next, then Snow Patrol!

This is from Wikipedia:

U2 has been another important influence on Martin both musically and politically,on whom he wrote for Rolling Stone magazine's "100 Greatest Artists of All Time", in the section on U2, saying: "I don't buy weekend tickets to Ireland and hang out in front of their gates, but U2 are the only band whose entire catalogue I know by heart. The first song on The Unforgettable Fire, "A Sort of Homecoming", I know backward and forward – it's so rousing, brilliant, and beautiful. It's one of the first songs I played to my unborn baby." Martin also comments on Bono's effect on his own charity and political involvement he is even known to joke with friends referring to himself as "Crono".

Its about Chris Martin's influences BTW. :P

And, also not to make U2 sound bad (I do like them) Bono called Chris Martin a W****r, and here also: Bono on Chris Martin: "[He's] a completely dysfunctional character and a cretin. But he happens to be a great melodist." (Radio 1, 2009) It must have been pretty hard on Chris, even though I'm sure Bono was joking about it, but, still, Bono is like Chris' idol! :confused:

And, also not to make U2 sound bad (I do like them) Bono called Chris Martin a W****r, and here also: Bono on Chris Martin: "[He's] a completely dysfunctional character and a cretin. But he happens to be a great melodist." (Radio 1, 2009) It must have been pretty hard on Chris, even though I'm sure Bono was joking about it, but, still, Bono is like Chris' idol! :confused:

I did not know that Bono said that! I'm sure I've read that he likes Coldplay, so I guess he was joking :confused:

I did not know that Bono said that! I'm sure I've read that he likes Coldplay, so I guess he was joking :confused:

No need to worry y'all...they are good friends. The whole thing was tongue and cheek. Bono was just trash talkin'. Chris' feelings were NOT hurt. Those two laughed hard after the media took it seriously. Shoot, even U2 let Coldplay borrow their 360 plane because Coldplay's quit on them.

http://www.coldplay.com/newsdetail.php?id=474

• 3 months later...

Massive Bump!

Is anyone getting From The Ground Up (Music Edition)? It comes with a 15 track CD of songs from the 360 tour selected by the Edge and they're getting people to guess what songs will be on it. I thought it would be fun to try and guess the tracklist. The only known songs so far are Breathe, 40, New Year's Day, Vertigo, Electrical Storm and Get On Your Boots. NLOTH and Spanish Eyes are confirmed not to be on it, and none of the 'new' songs are on it. Also nothing that was on U22 will be on it either.

My guess:

1. Breathe

2. Get On Your Boots

3. I Will Follow

4. New Year's Day

5. Stuck in a Moment

6. In a Little While

7. Miss Sarajevo

8. Electrical Storm

9. Vertigo

10. I'll Go Crazy

11. Sunday Bloody Sunday

12. Pride

13. Scarlet

14. Hold Me, Thrill Me

15. 40

• 2 weeks later...

There's no need to guess...it's officially been released...

http://www.atu2.com/news/from-the-ground-upedges-picks-arrives-heres-the-track-list.html

@U2, December 17, 2012

By: Matt McGee / @mattmcgee

We have the first report of a U2.com member getting the new membership gift. BK Garceau of Los Angeles shared the image at right with us via Twitter a few minutes ago. It shows the From The Ground Up book, the Edge's Picks CD and a few of the extras -- like the page-size band member prints. BK also emailed us the full tracklist for Edge's Picks, which hasn't been published anywhere to our knowledge:

1. Breathe - Stadio San Siro, Milan, 8th July 2009

2. I Will Follow - Stade Roi Baudouin, Brussels, 22nd Sept 2010

3. Get On Your Boots - Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, 20th Sept 2009

4. New Year's Day - Croke Park, Dublin, 27th July 2009

5. Electrical Storm - Stadio San Siro, Milan, 8th July 2009

6. Stuck in a Moment - Estadio Azteca, Mexico City, 11th May 2011

7. Your Blue Room - Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, 23rd Sept 2009

8. Vertigo - Subiaco Oval, Perth, 18th December 2010

9. Crazy Tonight - Stade De France, Paris, 11th July, 2009

10. Sunday Bloody Sunday - Vanderbilt Stadium, Nashville, 2nd July 2011

11. Scarlet - Vanderbilt Stadium, Nashville, 2nd July 2011

12. In A Little While - Estadio Morumbi, Sao Paulo, 9th April 2011

13. Miss Sarajevo - Estadio Unico De La Plata, Buenos Aires, 30th March 2011

14. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me - Estadio Nacional, Santiago, 25th March 2011

15. "40" - Magnetic Hill Music Festival, Moncton, 30 July 2011

If you get your copy soon, feel free to let us know on Twitter so we can give other fans an idea of how quickly the book and CD are shipping/arriving around the world. Big thanks to BK for letting us know today!

Massive Bump!

Is anyone getting From The Ground Up (Music Edition)? It comes with a 15 track CD of songs from the 360 tour selected by the Edge and they're getting people to guess what songs will be on it. I thought it would be fun to try and guess the tracklist. The only known songs so far are Breathe, 40, New Year's Day, Vertigo, Electrical Storm and Get On Your Boots. NLOTH and Spanish Eyes are confirmed not to be on it, and none of the 'new' songs are on it. Also nothing that was on U22 will be on it either.

My guess:

1. Breathe

2. Get On Your Boots

3. I Will Follow

4. New Year's Day

5. Stuck in a Moment

6. In a Little While

7. Miss Sarajevo

8. Electrical Storm

9. Vertigo

10. I'll Go Crazy

11. Sunday Bloody Sunday

12. Pride

13. Scarlet

14. Hold Me, Thrill Me

15. 40

That was a pretty damn good guess! :stunned:

How long are we gonna have to wait for a new album? They are getting pretty slow at making them :lol:

I'm hoping for mid to late 2013. I don't want them to rush the album, but I'd like it to come out before they get too old :lol:

edit: Although I hope they've still got at least 10 more years left in them... look at the Rolling Stones for example!

^^Well they need some time after dat tour but from what we've heard about the album they seem quite inspired. It's kinda confirmed for 2013. Can't wait!

^The Stones make money on former glory. When was the last time they had a "big album"? I like them but they keep putting out compilations. U2 are much more respectable in that matter, they still try to make adventurous records.

^The Stones make money on former glory. When was the last time they had a "big album"? I like them but they keep putting out compilations. U2 are much more respectable in that matter, they still try to make adventurous records.

:nod: This is true. The Stones are at least still performing even though they're in their late 60s, so hopefully U2 can also continue that long. (As long as the quality of their performances doesn't decrease of course.)

:nod: This is true. The Stones are at least still performing even though they're in their late 60s, so hopefully U2 can also continue that long. (As long as the quality of their performances doesn't decrease of course.)

That's also true. They are not directly comparable since they're 20 years older.

This is what Bono said about that:

"We've had the best three weeks in the studio since 1979. I think they [the other band members] are very aware that U2 have to do something very special to have a reason to exist right now."

They're not afraid of retiring if they can't find something meaningful to say anymore.

PS They praised Foster The People this year, maybe they'll be inspired by them a bit?

U2 guitarist The Edge singled Torches out as one of his favorite records, calling it "a very interesting new album. Very 21st century pop, but it's beautifully made and thrilling. You see, we're always interested in the new thing..."

^ Foster The People :D, that would be an interesting direction, though I don't think they will go for a totally new direction at this point of their careers, they seem pretty confortable as the biggest band in the world. And the Rolling Stones were still making albums 20 years ago, so in the late 80s and early 90s they were pretty much where U2 are right now.

^:nod: (about the RS)

Who knows. Their albums of the same decade are similar but they tend to change their sound at the turn of a decade.

(This doesn't have to be a conscious decision, technology changes and that has an impact especially on pop music.)

They're working with Danger Mouse so their new sound might be like some of the stuff he did with Gnarls Barkley, The Black Keys etc.

I'm hoping for mid to late 2013. I don't want them to rush the album, but I'd like it to come out before they get too old :lol:

edit: Although I hope they've still got at least 10 more years left in them... look at the Rolling Stones for example!

My bet is that the new album won't be out until the third week of November.

And Adam has turned into a huge old fart lately...he's getting lazy about cutting his hair...

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/celebrity-news-gossip/the-unforgettable-hair-u2-star-adam-clayton-goes-back-to-his-roots-with-new-do-3333686.html?ino=4#wcol

:thinking: