✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

U2

• Administrators

Just back from seeing U2 perform in their home county Dublin for the first time since 2009 and Oh Mah Lord was it amazing :D They seemed to play a special set for Dublin and even small U2 fans like me had our socks blown off by the amazing atmosphere!

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just back from seeing U2 perform in their home county Dublin for the first time since 2009 and Oh Mah Lord was it amazing :D They seemed to play a special set for Dublin and even small U2 fans like me had our socks blown off by the amazing atmosphere!

I was at the same show (my 4th of the I&E tour) and the atmosphere was the poorest I've been at, it was in the most quite flat compared to the others.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Administrators
I was at the same show (my 4th of the I&E tour) and the atmosphere was the poorest I've been at, it was in the most quite flat compared to the others.

It was my one of my first concerts and my first U2 concert so I've nothing to compare it to ;)

It was my one of my first concerts and my first U2 concert so I've nothing to compare it to ;)

I've been to 8 U2 concerts since the 90s and they're by far the best band in the world live. Last night was good but it was definitely flatter compared to the others I've been at, they seemed tired in comparison last night. Brilliant still though.

• 4 weeks later...
It's incredible isn't it. It's like comparing chalk and cheese. Yeah...I don't think they've ever listened to it. I'm guessing you're thinking much the same.

Yeah. I've been listening a lot to Pop again this week after this thread and I really hear no comparison perhaps only in Discotheque but not even that much in that. The only real similarity is that one is pop music and the other is called Pop.

On a side note, how good is Mofo? A proper dance track with a large dose of heavy Edge. It sounds great even today.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Yeah. I've been listening a lot to Pop again this week after this thread and I really hear no comparison perhaps only in Discotheque but not even that much in that. The only real similarity is that one is pop music and the other is called Pop.

On a side note, how good is Mofo? A proper dance track with a large dose of heavy Edge. It sounds great even today.

Ha ha ha! Same here...so some good came out of AHFOD...made us chase out Pop! :D Mofo is one of U2's best songs in my opinion. It's also probably the most un U2 song they've ever recorded! Not to mention Larry Mullen Jnr's drumbeat throughout. Could imagine the pulsing beat coming out of one of those underground clubs in Glasgow, Manchester. So relentless.

Also has this song of which provided one of U2's best ever live performances in my opinion. A band never afraid to confront difficult, sensitive subjects. It's what the best do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcDJ_hQIYIk

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcDJ_hQIYIk

Ha ha ha! Same here...so some good came out of AHFOD...made us chase out Pop! :D Mofo is one of U2's best songs in my opinion. It's also probably the most un U2 song they've ever recorded! Not to mention Larry Mullen Jnr's drumbeat throughout. Could imagine the pulsing beat coming out of one of those underground clubs in Glasgow, Manchester. So relentless.

Also has this song of which provided one of U2's best ever live performances in my opinion. A band never afraid to confront difficult, sensitive subjects. It's what the best do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcDJ_hQIYIk

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcDJ_hQIYIk

Add "Gone" from Pop to one of U2s best as well such a great driving fuzzy riff through it. A bit of an underrated time for U2 with Zooropa and Pop, some of the songs on those two were just brilliant, songs like Stay, Zooropa, Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car etc they never really got the recognition for them. To be honest they'd probably kill to be writing tunes like that just now.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Add "Gone" from Pop to one of U2s best as well such a great driving fuzzy riff through it. A bit of an underrated time for U2 with Zooropa and Pop, some of the songs on those two were just brilliant, songs like Stay, Zooropa, Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car etc they never really got the recognition for them. To be honest they'd probably kill to be writing tunes like that just now.

The Wanderer and Lemon as well. Adore Lemon. Such a weird but beautiful song. I actually thought Sleep Like A Baby Tonight on their last album is one of the best songs they've written in the last 20 years or so. I think it's quite Zooropa/Pop like even if the subject matter is very very dark. Personally my favourite album of theirs since Pop which was a relief after No Line On The Horizon.

Guys I'm loving your discussion on "Pop". Hopefully more people get to dig deep and listen to their entire discography. Four of the finest musicians to have ever walked the earth.

I discovered this gem yesterday and it blew me away, never even knew it existed but what a version of a great song performed by Edge!

• Like 1

You guys made me listen to Pop again after a long time, too. Emotionally it's not amongst my faves (I became a fan afterwards with ATYCLB and it was the last one of their back catalogue I bought), but it is a great album with some unique sounds.

The i+e tour really was maginificent! I had only seen them in stadiums before and although the shows were always impressive and I loved hearing all those masterpieces, it was only during my shows of the recent tour that I became aware of what U2 can really do on stage. The magic that is there. The shows felt so grand and yet so intimate in the arenas. The stage design was impressing without just being a gimmick. I loved who they managed to set a theme and actually tell a story throughout the show (well, except during the encore block maybe).

I saw three shows (Berlin I & II, Cologne II) and never wanted them to end. Berlin I (Zoo Station, yay!) and Berlin II were already awesome, but Cologne II truly was an out-of-this-world experience. I still can't describe or grasp what happened inside this room that night, but it was pure magic and I think the band felt it, too. Maybe the best concert I've ever been to.

Being a Coldplay AND U2 fan isn't easy, though. I always get shit for it. :D

• Like 2

I was listening to The Joshua Tree yesterday and I'm yet again in awe of the fact that it hasn't aged one second, nothing about it suggests that it's an 80s album. It's as if it were recorded today, it's absolutely timeless, thanks to Eno probably.

Yes indeed! That's why it is held so high in regard...it's just timeless. The Unforgettable Fire and Achtung Baby are also incredible albums with very unique atmospheres, but nothing has aged as well as The Joshua Tree. Yep, it's Eno who we should thank.

I've been listening to War and Boy a lot recently and some songs on them are completely timeless and just stunning. Electric Co, I Will Follow, New Years Day, 40, An Cat Dubh, Out of Control, Sunday Bloody Sunday etc all amazing songs with such a great energy. When you think also that Achtung Baby came before Oasis etc it almost sounds like the album that influenced the 90s.

I always had a bit of a hard time getting into their early 80s stuff, because I became a fan that much later, but after this tour I went back to rediscover Boy, October and War. 'Out Of Control' might have even been my favorite song live this year. So much energy! I was super exhausted from all the singing and jumping afterwards and it was just the second song. :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think that Zooropa is a very VERY underrated U2 album.

Such gems like the title track, Zooropa (my favourite U2 song), Dirty Day, Lemon, The First Time, The Wanderer, Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car, Stay (Faraway So Close!), there's so many great songs on this album.

Take off some patches (Babyface)and you've got a contender for the best U2 album. (even though this is my favourite U2 album with SOI and Joshua Tree;))

• Like 1

Yeah love that album. War, Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby , October are my favourites after Joshua Tree then Zooropa.

Pop was ok. Staring At The Sun is the best track IMO on that album.

The best concert ever is Live Under A Blood Red Sky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah love that album. War, Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby , October are my favourites after Joshua Tree then Zooropa.

Pop was ok. Staring At The Sun is the best track IMO on that album.

The best concert ever is Live Under A Blood Red Sky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gone remix version was the best Pop song.

• Like 1

I think that Zooropa is a very VERY underrated U2 album

Another favourite of mine is Unknown Caller.

I must confess, Unknown Caller (my fav of NLOTH) gives me eargasm :wacky: I was so annoyed when U2 stopped playing it live, but then they gave us Zoroopa live :dazzled:, which is as beautiful as the album version.

my top U2 albums are:

Achtung Baby

Joshua Tree

ATYCLB

Zooropa

HTDAAB