✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

U2

Aw, "Electrical Storm" :).

BTW I watched PopMart and I didn't like it as much as ZOO TV. The stage was interesting but Bono was being to much of a dick. :D

I mean, they were all playing these characters, criticizing Wall Mart, McDonalds etc. but it's all too much. ZOO TV and MacPhisto were perfect.

I like this song a lot. There are at least 3 different interpretations of the lyrics:

• Daddy is the father of a spoiled brat, or a suga daddy
  • Daddy is God and the crashed car is you
  • Daddy is West Germany and the crashed car is East Germany after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

And I like Lemon now! Weird lyrics there too.

PS But, for instance, I liked these performances from PopMart:

http://youtu.be/Nq2gLQBjlnY

http://youtu.be/jo4P2pDWVo4

The first interpretation of that song's lyrics were the ones I always went with. But I like the other two, never thought of it that way. I think I like those options better :p.

Very strange song, that one. It's cool but it's very weird, too.

Glad you're getting into "Lemon" more, too! That's a cool song, and yes, also very odd.

I've never seen the Popmart DVD, so can't comment there. I do know I've heard that that tour had some brilliant moments and some moments of struggle-the whole Pop era was a very tough time for the band, it seems. Album came out before they felt it was ready, the tour started off a bit rough, sales were "eh" depending on where you lived...U2's biggest "flop" period, so to speak, I think.

Loved the performances from that show you shared, though. Gorgeous version of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" from Edge, lovely to hear his take on the song. And "Please"-gah, I LOVE that song, that's one of my absolute favorite U2 songs, and that version was excellent.

"Soon" sounded really interesting! I agree, let's get some new music out here, people!

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you should watch it, especially considering that it's your favorite album. You don't have to buy the DVD, watch it while the internet is still free. :D

I think the third interpretation is the "right" one. The first one is the most literal, the third one fits best within the context of the album. The song's intro is from "Lenin's Favourite Songs" and the visuals in concert, the crashing Trabants, all fit. Daddy can also be the USSR.

And I am fascinated with Soon. I mean, obviously it's an unfinished song, but I love the direction. I hope that it's indicative of the new album and that they'll finish the song, it sounds like a perfect opener. When I heard this "strings song" intro to 360° I thought it's some classical piece or a Vanessa Mae song or sth.

Soon...

Sing yourself on down the street

Sing yourself right off your feet

Sing yourself away from victory and from defeat

Sing yourself with fife and drum

Sing yourself to overcome

The thought that someone's lost

And someone else has won

Soon...

Guest howyousawtheworld
BTW I watched PopMart and I didn't like it as much as ZOO TV. The stage was interesting but Bono was being too much of a dick. :D

I mean, they were all playing these characters, criticizing Wall Mart, McDonalds etc. but it's all too much. ZOO TV and MacPhisto were perfect.

I like this song a lot. There are at least 3 different interpretations of the lyrics:

• Daddy is the father of a spoiled brat, or a suga daddy
  • Daddy is God and the crashed car is you
  • Daddy is West Germany and the crashed car is East Germany after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

And I like Lemon now! Weird lyrics there too.

PS But, for instance, I liked these performances from PopMart:

http://youtu.be/Nq2gLQBjlnY

http://youtu.be/jo4P2pDWVo4

Yeah I agree. His singing isn't as good on that show and overall it's nowhere near as epic a show as Zoo TV! Slane Castle though is incredible. Hard to separate Zoo TV and Slane Castle.

Glad you're starting to like Lemon! The song is about Bono's mother and how he viewed an old home video recording of her and how she wore a lemon coloured dress in the video. "She wore Lemon".... Not the first song written by Bono that is deeply personal which I think makes the song that extra bit special. Definitely in my top 3 all time favourite U2 songs. It is special!

Well you should watch it, especially considering that it's your favorite album. You don't have to buy the DVD, watch it while the internet is still free. :D

LOL. I should. I'm not as up on my live U2 stuff as I should be-I have a few live DVDs here and there, but I don't have bootlegs or every last live DVD out there or whatnot. I'll watch the concert on YouTube at some point, and work on getting the DVD itself down the line, too.

I think the third interpretation is the "right" one. The first one is the most literal, the third one fits best within the context of the album. The song's intro is from "Lenin's Favourite Songs" and the visuals in concert, the crashing Trabants, all fit. Daddy can also be the USSR.

I think that makes perfect sense. Like you said, it fits well within all the other political aspects of the music they were doing at that time, and the theme of the tour, and the overall look of the stage. That's one of the great things about their music, the interpretations can run from the superficial to the incredibly deep, and a listener can STILL relate to all of it no matter what interpretation they go with.

And I am fascinated with Soon. I mean, obviously it's an unfinished song, but I love the direction. I hope that it's indicative of the new album and that they'll finish the song, it sounds like a perfect opener. When I heard this "strings song" intro to 360° I thought it's some classical piece or a Vanessa Mae song or sth.

Soon...

Sing yourself on down the street

Sing yourself right off your feet

Sing yourself away from victory and from defeat

Sing yourself with fife and drum

Sing yourself to overcome

The thought that someone's lost

And someone else has won

Soon...

Yeah, I was gonna say, it seemed awfully short, but if it's unfinished that would explain why :p. I'd be very interested to see them go in that direction with their music, it'd be a whole new style for them to explore and mess around with.

Yeah I agree. His singing isn't as good on that show and overall it's nowhere near as epic a show as Zoo TV! Slane Castle though is incredible. Hard to separate Zoo TV and Slane Castle.

Glad you're starting to like Lemon! The song is about Bono's mother and how he viewed an old home video recording of her and how she wore a lemon coloured dress in the video. "She wore Lemon".... Not the first song written by Bono that is deeply personal which I think makes the song that extra bit special. Definitely in my top 3 all time favourite U2 songs. It is special!

Yeah, that's also what I wanted to say - I think up to the point when he got pissed off at that guy who pointed a laser to his eyes and they gave him a different mic afterwords, the volume of his voice was very low, like you couldn't hear what he was singing in Mofo. But later on it got better, he turned down the attitude and the acoustic set was nice. But overall, the whole show doesn't have a good flow, it's kinda anticlimactic, although there are some good moments.

At first glance at the lyrics, I thought they were kinda pervy, about some girl. But then I read that it's actually about his mother, like Mofo and some other songs. Apparently he can't write a simple song, a ballad about her, it's always masked into a "dance" song. Perhaps it's too hard. But he wrote them for his father.

Edit: Actually, there is - Tomorrow.

And yesterday I watched 360° Live at the Rose Bowl and I loved it! Maybe not as much as ZOO TV but it was pretty flawless. I've watched parts of it before, but now I saw the whole show and I totally enjoyed it. They weren't upstaged by the stage which was very important. So far it's my second favorite show, and I think I'll watch Slane Castle next. ;)

^ I just watched Slane a few days ago, and I don't think you'll be disappointed ;) There's a badass performance of Bullet The Blue Sky, as well as some touching moments where Bono talks about his father who had just died.

Guest howyousawtheworld
^ I just watched Slane a few days ago, and I don't think you'll be disappointed ;) There's a badass performance of Bullet The Blue Sky, as well as some touching moments where Bono talks about his father who had just died.

It's definitely the most natural of all U2's dvds. Despite the scale of the show it somehow manages to be very intimate. I think that's the power of it being in their homeland and personal circumstances. Really special!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zHB9i6qW58&feature=youtube]2011-07-30 U2360° Live From Moncton [Multicam Entire Show, Directed By Mek] - YouTube[/ame]

I'm just gonna put this here for your viewing pleasure :awesome:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_U2

I read the whole thing.

Written by Bono & The Edge.

Written by Adam Clayton & Larry Mullen Jr.

:awesome:

P.S. I'm gonna watch U2 Go Home now. LOL at fanboys losing their shit at the beginning. :D

Too bad they didn't perform more songs from The Unforgettable Fire, just Pride. (Cos it was recorded at Slane Castle of course.)

Edit: AWESOME concert, what else can I say? Great performance, great audience.

I had a crazy dream the other night that I went to my friend's house and we saw that U2 were doing a concert in someone's house to an audience of about 10 people :stunned:

We went in and I started talking to The Edge (:awesome:) and he asked if I wanted to request a song. I asked for Van Diemen's Land and he said he had forgotten how to play it, so I had to go on a laptop and look up videos of it to remind him how :laugh3:

• 2 weeks later...
2011-07-30 U2360° Live From Moncton [Multicam Entire Show, Directed By Mek] - YouTube[/url]

I'm just gonna put this here for your viewing pleasure :awesome:

HOLY BOOTLEGS BONO!!!

I had no idea this existed and have been looking for a copy of the whole Moncton show!

Thanks a million!

:tongue:

I hope we get it sooner than that. They've been working on new songs for three years (Return of the Stingray Guitar etc.) and apparently they have enough for three whole albums or something like that. Chris Martin has even tried to persuade Bono to release the album as soon as possible :laugh3: So I would hope for an announcement sometime this year.

I hope we get it sooner than that. They've been working on new songs for three years (Return of the Stingray Guitar etc.) and apparently they have enough for three whole albums or something like that. Chris Martin has even tried to persuade Bono to release the album as soon as possible :laugh3: So I would hope for an announcement sometime this year.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0423/jonesn.html

please be true

I will warn you now... How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb is a truly dreadful album with no U2 classics on it (each U2 album usually has at least one classic track). Rattle and Hum isn't bad, it's just bloated and boring. All That You Can't Leave Behind is a decent album but is a bit straightforward for my liking. And as for No Line on the Horizon... It's a bit of a mixed bag. Some of their best, some of their worst. I still can't decide how to feel about the album as a whole, three years after first hearing it. It was a strange album to start with, that's for sure.

Having now given every U2 album a good listen, I actually think I like HTDAAB more than ATYCLB... The first 4 or 5 songs of the latter are great, but after that it becomes a bit of a snooze-fest. HTDAAB, however, is a lot more consistent in my opinion. It may not have any truly 'classic' U2 songs (COBL and SYCMIOYO being the exceptions) but most of the songs are at least a bit catchy or memorable, which can't be said for much of ATYCLB.

I will warn you now... How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb is a truly dreadful album with no U2 classics on it (each U2 album usually has at least one classic track).

Vertigo is pure awesomeness, and the album isn't their best, but better than NLOTH for me.

ATYCanLB is pretty boring. but has some great songs like Kite, Peace on Earth, Beautiful Day, Elevation and New York

but it also has Stuck and In A Little While which makes those other songs worthless. my 2 least favorite U2 songs

HTDAAB is decent. it has my 5th favorite U2 song A Man and A Woman which is amazinly underrated. but also has classics like COBL, Sometimes, Love and Peace or Else, Original of the Species and Vertigo

but then it has All Because of You so eh :lol:

I really love No Line. Stand Up Comedy and Breathe are the two best on the album IMO. but MOS, Magnificent, NLOTH, Crazy, Cedars and Fez are all great

Boots is ok. but White as Snow is pretty bad

I like No Line as well :) My favourites from it are NLOTH, Magnificent and Unknown Caller.

I think now I've made my mind up about each one I would rank the albums in this order:

1. The Joshua Tree

2. Achtung Baby

3. The Unforgettable Fire

4. War

5. No Line On The Horizon

6. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

7. Boy

8. Zooropa

9. All That You Can't Leave Behind

10. Rattle & Hum

11. October

12. Pop

At least I think that's right :thinking:

I've done this to many times and it's changed a lot over time but at it's latest

1. AB

2. TJT

3. October

4. Pop

5. TUF

6. War

7. Zooropa

8. NLOTH

9. HTDAAB

10. Boy

11. R&H

12. ATYCLB