✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

X & Y review: Vancouver Province= SPOT ON!

dcbc

Sadly- this review IMO is the most accurate one I've read yet (Rolling Stone was pretty close)

Coldplay - X & Y- EMI

OVERVIEW

Coldplay, perhaps you've heard of them. Chris Martin and the boys - I mean, who are they really) - are either the saviours of rock, as critics comparing them to U2 and the Beatles, would like you to think, or just another over-hyped group taking Radioheads vision into very commercial terrain.

HIT FACTOR

The one sheet that came with the advance of the disc noted how much the group wanted to use the full power of the studio. Even if that really meant "we had no ideas, so we glossed 'em over really, really well," this CD would sell, sell, sell.

BEST TRACK

"White Shadows" and "Speed Of Sound" manage to generate some of the excitement that songs such as "Spies" and "Clocks" had. "Fix You" is a love song, it's written by somebody with a Messiah complex. When did these guys commit 100% into mid-tempo ballad band?

LINER LESSONS

In lieu of lyrics, some off-focus photos and groovy colour graphics are included. It's probably a good idea when the best lines you can manage are "How long do I have to climb, up on this mountain side of mine?" Uh, try driving your ego.

BEST FOR

Stick to the first two discs. Apparently, this is a junior slump.

BOTTOM LINE

So calculated and uninspired that you won't want to play it at all.

GRADE

C-

dcbc.... just admit that you can't stand Coldplay. We get it already.

Any review that says "Speed of Sound" is the best track on X&Y cannot possibly be "spot on".

Absolutely correct. Speed of Sound is one of the weakest tracks on X&Y.

Sadly- this review IMO is the most accurate one I've read yet (Rolling Stone was pretty close)

Coldplay - X & Y- EMI

OVERVIEW

Coldplay, perhaps you've heard of them. Chris Martin and the boys - I mean, who are they really) - are either the saviours of rock, as critics comparing them to U2 and the Beatles, would like you to think, or just another over-hyped group taking Radioheads vision into very commercial terrain.

HIT FACTOR

The one sheet that came with the advance of the disc noted how much the group wanted to use the full power of the studio. Even if that really meant "we had no ideas, so we glossed 'em over really, really well," this CD would sell, sell, sell.

BEST TRACK

"White Shadows" and "Speed Of Sound" manage to generate some of the excitement that songs such as "Spies" and "Clocks" had. "Fix You" is a love song, it's written by somebody with a Messiah complex. When did these guys commit 100% into mid-tempo ballad band?

LINER LESSONS

In lieu of lyrics, some off-focus photos and groovy colour graphics are included. It's probably a good idea when the best lines you can manage are "How long do I have to climb, up on this mountain side of mine?" Uh, try driving your ego.

BEST FOR

Stick to the first two discs. Apparently, this is a junior slump.

BOTTOM LINE

So calculated and uninspired that you won't want to play it at all.

GRADE

C-

Get this load of donkey $hit out of here. Speed of Sound one of the best songs on the album? Thats when I knew the review as total crap.

I like the Oasis pic in this guys Name.Oasis fans are all generally bitter and twisted nowadays that a band like Coldplay DARE to come and be bigger and better than them.Completely oblivious to the fact that(and this is coming from an Oasis fan)Oasis are shite these days.

dcbc.... just admit that you can't stand Coldplay. We get it already.

hahaha O- where to start?

well- I just watched a brilliant Coldplay concert on MuchMisic for the past 90 minutes---not sure I'd be doing that with a band I "can't stand".

Parachutes had impact on my life like no other ablum---I learned to play guitar because of it- and it opened my up to a whole different side of my own creativity that has led be to the verge of a record contract with my band.

AROBTTH also was very impactful on my life- in a different way- it was the soundtrack of my life for about a year- day in and day out the songs guided me through a tough period.

I had great expectations for X & Y- and it simply has not delivered. It is MASSIVLY over-produced which makes it sound very pretentious and completley removes the soul---which is exactlly what Parachutes was full of and is exactally what I want when I listen to a Coldplay album. Not to mention the songs just arent as good as we've come to expect.

It's just a bad album by this bands standards.

I was so excited for this time of 2005 with Don't Believe The Truth and X & Y coming at the same time---just the same as it was with Heathen Chemistry and AROBTTH in 2002----in 2002 Heathen Chemistry was the one that was massivly dissapointing and hardly listenable at times. This time its teh opposite, DBTT is fantastic. X & Y not so much.

i think that this person likes the old albums too much, too much comparing. unfortunatly it's true, i see speed of sound as a transition song between arobtth and X&Y, so that is probably why they like it so much.

just a guess.

the point is, there are a billon more GOOD review then bad reviews. there have been what, 2 or 3 so far? :rolleyes:

I like the Oasis pic in this guys Name.Oasis fans are all generally bitter and twisted nowadays that a band like Coldplay DARE to come and be bigger and better than them.Completely oblivious to the fact that(and this is coming from an Oasis fan)Oasis are shite these days.

you couldnt possibly be farther from the truth mate.

1st of all Oasis have sold over 330,000 tickets to their summer tour--way, way far and beyond what Coldplay are playing to (they are struggeling to sell out their venues).

Im a huge Coldplay fan too so Im not going to bother with a big fact filled rant that just starts another Oasis vs Coldplay can of worms. It's a pointless excercise.

Just as AROBTTH blew Heathen Chemistry away in 2002- Dont Believe The Truth has done this same to X & Y this time.

Hopefully next time round both bands will have classics.

When did these guys commit 100% into mid-tempo ballad band?

I agree with this point.

Would be nice to hear some rocking tunes on a future album.

Something like the live version of 'One I Love'. Something really jumpy.